Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
phear_me

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby phear_me » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:45 pm

Application Complete 11/03
Under Review 12/03

Here goes ...

HJO

Postby HJO » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:46 pm

Quick question for you all, at this point would you all feel better about getting defered or waitlisted? I got the defered e-mail yesterday and I was curious about this?

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:48 pm

HJO wrote:Quick question for you all, at this point would you all feel better about getting defered or waitlisted? I got the defered e-mail yesterday and I was curious about this?

I will take anything that is not a rejection.

jdhopeful23

Postby jdhopeful23 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:48 pm

jdhopeful23 wrote:
Just posted this as a new topic, but I was wondering what people think the effect, if any, of Dean Aleinikoff leaving in January will have on this admissions cycle and/or GULC's numbers.

I haven't followed other cycles or schools closely enough in the past, but does this sort of thing typically hurt a school's numbers? Could it play a role in the way this cycle is a little different from past cycles?

I don't have any hypotheses... just wondering what the more intelligent and dedicated members of TLS think.

Oh, and if you have not seen the article/news:

"Dean Aleinikoff Appointed United Nations Deputy High Commissioner for Refugees"
http://www.law.georgetown.edu/news/rele ... 09TAA.html

p.s. this in no way affects my own burning desire to attend G-town, despite my disappoinment in such a talented Dean leaving. just in case any adcomms are hanging around, I still love you Georgetown

This same situation occurred last year when Elena Kagan left Harvard in January for the Solicitor General position. She was greatly loved by all and it presented significant questions for applicants in regard to Harvard's future. She was incredibly dynamic, affable, etc. and I think she'll make a great SCOTUS Justice some day. Without diminishing his high intelligence and incredible competence, I am not certain that Dean Aleinkoff has had the same influence on Georgetown. Elena Kagan basically rescued Harvard from the "Brink". Harvard, by the way, is doing quite well now with Dean Martha Minow. Let's just hope Georgetown has great success in finding an equally dynamic replacement. I'm confident that it will.

Thanks for the insight. I agree with you that Dean Kagan's loss was probably more shocking to that community (although Dean Aleinikoff's area of expertise, rather than specific leadership skills, was what most attracted me to Georgetown) than this will be to GULC's. But I wonder if Georgetown is not (perpetually?) on the "brink" as well. I was reminded of Dean Kagan's departure when thinking about this, but wonder if Harvard's application numbers were affected in any way (I guess I mean, they can get the caliver of students they want regardless. Not sure GULC can say the same.), or the way a school in a different category might be. Probably nearly insignificant, if anything, but I am just curious.

uganik

Postby uganik » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:05 pm

jdhopeful23 wrote:
jdhopeful23 wrote:
Just posted this as a new topic, but I was wondering what people think the effect, if any, of Dean Aleinikoff leaving in January will have on this admissions cycle and/or GULC's numbers.

I haven't followed other cycles or schools closely enough in the past, but does this sort of thing typically hurt a school's numbers? Could it play a role in the way this cycle is a little different from past cycles?

I don't have any hypotheses... just wondering what the more intelligent and dedicated members of TLS think.

Oh, and if you have not seen the article/news:

"Dean Aleinikoff Appointed United Nations Deputy High Commissioner for Refugees"
http://www.law.georgetown.edu/news/rele ... 09TAA.html

p.s. this in no way affects my own burning desire to attend G-town, despite my disappoinment in such a talented Dean leaving. just in case any adcomms are hanging around, I still love you Georgetown

This same situation occurred last year when Elena Kagan left Harvard in January for the Solicitor General position. She was greatly loved by all and it presented significant questions for applicants in regard to Harvard's future. She was incredibly dynamic, affable, etc. and I think she'll make a great SCOTUS Justice some day. Without diminishing his high intelligence and incredible competence, I am not certain that Dean Aleinkoff has had the same influence on Georgetown. Elena Kagan basically rescued Harvard from the "Brink". Harvard, by the way, is doing quite well now with Dean Martha Minow. Let's just hope Georgetown has great success in finding an equally dynamic replacement. I'm confident that it will.

Thanks for the insight. I agree with you that Dean Kagan's loss was probably more shocking to that community (although Dean Aleinikoff's area of expertise, rather than specific leadership skills, was what most attracted me to Georgetown) than this will be to GULC's. But I wonder if Georgetown is not (perpetually?) on the "brink" as well. I was reminded of Dean Kagan's departure when thinking about this, but wonder if Harvard's application numbers were affected in any way (I guess I mean, they can get the caliver of students they want regardless. Not sure GULC can say the same.), or the way a school in a different category might be. Probably nearly insignificant, if anything, but I am just curious.

I think any uncertainty makes people pause when considering attending a particular law school. Like the case with Harvard, I think it's too late in the cycle to have an adverse effect on the size of the applicant pool. This uncertainty may, however, impact how many people ultimately decide to attend. This factor could end up being an advantage to those in the waitlist pool, a group I do not presently wish to join..................DR 12/1 :mrgreen:

misslawyer2013

Postby misslawyer2013 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:08 pm

HJO wrote:Quick question for you all, at this point would you all feel better about getting defered or waitlisted? I got the defered e-mail yesterday and I was curious about this?

I'd like to know this as well.....

I guess I rathered be deferred but I really don't know.

jdhopeful23

Postby jdhopeful23 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:10 pm

I think any uncertainty makes people pause when considering attending a particular law school. Like the case with Harvard, I think it's too late in the cycle to have an adverse effect on the size of the applicant pool. This uncertainty may, however, impact how many people ultimately decide to attend. This factor could end up being an advantage to those in the waitlist pool, a group I do not presently wish to join..................DR 12/1

Couldn't have said it better myself... Good Luck!! Hopefully I get a decision soon (but only a favorable one... all other decisions can wait :) )

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:15 pm

Deferred.

Deferred in Dec could become an acceptance in a few months or it could become a waitlist. A waitlist won't turn into an acceptance until late spring or summer, if ever. Deferral beats waitlist in the pecking order.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:16 pm

NayBoer wrote:
Deferred.

Deferred in Dec could become an acceptance in a few months or it could become a waitlist. A waitlist won't turn into an acceptance until late spring or summer. Deferral beats waitlist in the pecking order.

So for visual learners:

Acceptance
Deferral
Waitlist
Rejection

riburn3

Postby riburn3 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:24 pm

I think for ED people it would be nice getting either. It will give them a little more freedom in that they can apply to more schools as they are released from their ED contract, while still having some sort of chance a GULC.

For all applicants, it's not bad being deferred in that you aren't on any waitlist yet, and you are still an active applicant (though it sucks having to wait even longer). If you are WL, it still isn't bad considering the large majority of people that get accepted early in GULC cycle don't even attend. Even better if you get onto the Super Secret VIP Deluxe Preferred Waitlist.

The only people that should be upset by this are strong candidates with auto-admit numbers,and dead set on going to GULC, yet they somehow find their way to the WL.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:24 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
NayBoer wrote:
Deferred.

Deferred in Dec could become an acceptance in a few months or it could become a waitlist. A waitlist won't turn into an acceptance until late spring or summer. Deferral beats waitlist in the pecking order.

So for visual learners:

Acceptance
Deferral
Waitlist
Rejection
Or as I put it way back on page 90 yesterday afternoon:

NayBoer wrote:IN > held/deferred > preferred WL > regular WL > OUT

It's a good thing. It's like getting to apply again. Or like having an extra life in Super Mario.
And CyLaw pointed out that Interview Requested should be wedged between IN and deferred.

misslawyer2013

Postby misslawyer2013 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:26 pm

After Everyone in the world (except for me) status changed to Under Review today I checked mine just to see that I'm still Application Complete. It's kind of sad considering I was under review 11/11 before Georgetown messed up my paper work. It's also sad considering that I'm Early Decision.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:26 pm

Damn it stupid recitation today! Can't check the mail till 4pm. These four hours are going to go by soooo slloooowww

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:28 pm

Hmm... Getting around mail time back east...

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:30 pm

ruleser wrote:Hmm... Getting around mail time back east...

Hopefully we get some inclination of what's going on.

jeffreyzwerner

Postby jeffreyzwerner » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:31 pm

just barely got complete with last LOR on time for first ED deadline (complete 12/1). Now Im under review (12/3)...i know they said theyre sending decisions by 12/15, is it normal to have gone under review this quickly after submitting, is it bc theyre trying to get all the EDs in so far out by the 15, or does it mean something, generally, good or bad to go under review this fast?

I am splitter, 174 3.05. i figure its a coin flip if i get in...

robin600

Postby robin600 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:31 pm

Hijack mailman then post results quickly

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:31 pm

My thoughts exactly. I'm excited to hear if any 12/1 DR people get something today. As has been mentioned many times, only acceptances come via snail mail. So I will be very happy to hear that at least one person gets something so that we know its not just one big round of strictly rejections and WL's

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:43 pm

Last edited by Anastasia Dee Dualla on Sat May 02, 2015 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:44 pm

sharthree wrote:
dakatz wrote:

My thoughts exactly. I'm excited to hear if any 12/1 DR people get something today. As has been mentioned many times, only acceptances come via snail mail. So I will be very happy to hear that at least one person gets something so that we know its not just one big round of strictly rejections and WL's

I'll say it again guys...I was rejected last year and got a letter that I burned over a candle.

Did they email you and send a snail mail letter as well?

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:45 pm

jeffreyzwerner wrote:just barely got complete with last LOR on time for first ED deadline (complete 12/1). Now Im under review (12/3)...i know they said theyre sending decisions by 12/15, is it normal to have gone under review this quickly after submitting, is it bc theyre trying to get all the EDs in so far out by the 15, or does it mean something, generally, good or bad to go under review this fast?

I am splitter, 174 3.05. i figure its a coin flip if i get in...

Please don't kill me if this doesn't turn out well in your case, but I have it on good information (from an admissions person at Georgetown) that the vast majority of the class are "splitters", though she didn't use that term. Though that 3.05 is really low my friend, your 174 should be golden. Hopefully you wrote an addendum explaining the 3.05?

Just for reference: A buddy of mine two cycles ago was accepted to Georgetown FT, RD with a 172, 3.2. He also got a quarter scholarship. When I heard that, I immediately knew 1) How Georgetown gets its medians up so high, and 2) why Georgetown doesn't really have a reputation for using a "holistic" approach to admissions. C'est la vie.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:47 pm

Last edited by Anastasia Dee Dualla on Sat May 02, 2015 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:47 pm

Last edited by Anastasia Dee Dualla on Sat May 02, 2015 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:49 pm

to a blind person, the square and the rectangle are the same shape, fml...

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:50 pm

Last edited by Anastasia Dee Dualla on Sat May 02, 2015 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”