Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
SanBun
Posts: 560
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 10:19 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby SanBun » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:32 am

applicantin2010 wrote:
SanBun wrote:
applicantin2010 wrote:My status changed to DR 12/1 (PT/ED/non-URM) and I have been following this topic since yesterday so I figured I should join.

Even in areas with lower cost of living, 75k would be tough especially if you are married and have kids. "Georgetown Law benefits would continue on a diminishing basis for incomes exceeding $75,000." I wonder how that would work.

The attorneys at the government agency I work for all surpass the 75k mark (federal gs pay scale) rather quickly as well.


Stats, if you don't mind?


I guess at this point the decision has been made so no reason to be paranoid, 3.75 and 162. I have pretty strong softs, lots of leadership positions in undergrad. Been a paralegal since finishing undergrad in May so I'm hoping all that is enough to balance out the low lsat.


what are the medians for GULC part time?

applicantin2010
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:06 am

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby applicantin2010 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:34 am

I practically have them memorized now, 75/med/25 for pt: 3.77/3.62/3.44 and 167/165/162

User avatar
SanBun
Posts: 560
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 10:19 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby SanBun » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:37 am

applicantin2010 wrote:I practically have them memorized now, 75/med/25 for pt: 3.77/3.62/3.44 and 167/165/162


WOW so you're almost a perfect 75th GPA/25th LSAT splitter. You fit this bunch of people perfectly, from what it seems like we're mostly non-trad, URM, splitter type people, most of us with really strong softs. We speculate it's a mixed batch of acceptances, denials, and WL. ( EDIT: personally believe it's a rejection for me) If you don't mind me asking, what are your softs?

User avatar
vasiok
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:07 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby vasiok » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:34 am

The wait the wait.... anyone got their decision from 12/1 batch yet?

User avatar
vasiok
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:07 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby vasiok » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:46 am

SanBun wrote:
applicantin2010 wrote:I practically have them memorized now, 75/med/25 for pt: 3.77/3.62/3.44 and 167/165/162


WOW so you're almost a perfect 75th GPA/25th LSAT splitter. You fit this bunch of people perfectly, from what it seems like we're mostly non-trad, URM, splitter type people, most of us with really strong softs. We speculate it's a mixed batch of acceptances, denials, and WL. ( EDIT: personally believe it's a rejection for me) If you don't mind me asking, what are your softs?


I would be VERY surprised if you got rejected.

User avatar
elliefont
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:07 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby elliefont » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:53 am

SanBun wrote:You fit this bunch of people perfectly, from what it seems like we're mostly non-trad, URM, splitter type people, most of us with really strong softs.


though non URM, I fit that description, but they requested an interview, so I suppose that is a defacto deferment. :? Only that was about two weeks ago and I haven't heard anything from my interviewer... Anyone else? It says it could take a few weeks to hear, but I'm getting antsy as decisions are being made...

User avatar
kittenmittons
Posts: 1453
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby kittenmittons » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:16 am

In via snail mail. Submitted 10/20. DR 11/30. FT RD

User avatar
robin600
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby robin600 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:35 am

I think most of us who got the 12/1 DR are in, we all seem to have a great story and good softs and decent numbers. Most of us are URMs (well i'm not technically, but I'm blind). I feel if they reject us, we'll get snatched up by someone else rather quickly in late December! GT doesn't want to risk that!

wootwootdc
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:17 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby wootwootdc » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:39 am

robin600 wrote:I think most of us who got the 12/1 DR are in, we all seem to have a great story and good softs and decent numbers. Most of us are URMs (well i'm not technically, but I'm blind). I feel if they reject us, we'll get snatched up by someone else rather quickly in late December! GT doesn't want to risk that!


Yeah, not sure for the 12/1 RDs butfor the EDs they all seem to be that way...urms, decent numbers, splitters etc

User avatar
robin600
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby robin600 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:41 am

wootwootdc wrote:
robin600 wrote:I think most of us who got the 12/1 DR are in, we all seem to have a great story and good softs and decent numbers. Most of us are URMs (well i'm not technically, but I'm blind). I feel if they reject us, we'll get snatched up by someone else rather quickly in late December! GT doesn't want to risk that!


Yeah, not sure for the 12/1 RDs butfor the EDs they all seem to be that way...urms, decent numbers, splitters etc

Yup, specifically towards EDers, sorry should've said that! I still think it's too early in general to have mass rejection mailings for even RDers yet though. Maybe a scattered few, but no mass e-mails.

wootwootdc
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:17 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby wootwootdc » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:46 am

robin600 wrote:
wootwootdc wrote:
robin600 wrote:I think most of us who got the 12/1 DR are in, we all seem to have a great story and good softs and decent numbers. Most of us are URMs (well i'm not technically, but I'm blind). I feel if they reject us, we'll get snatched up by someone else rather quickly in late December! GT doesn't want to risk that!


Yeah, not sure for the 12/1 RDs butfor the EDs they all seem to be that way...urms, decent numbers, splitters etc

Yup, specifically towards EDers, sorry should've said that! I still think it's too early in general to have mass rejection mailings for even RDers yet though. Maybe a scattered few, but no mass e-mails.


I dont think its too early for the mass rejection of RDs considering last year they went out 11.28..they are overdue if anything.

User avatar
robin600
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby robin600 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:48 am

wootwootdc wrote:
robin600 wrote:
wootwootdc wrote:
robin600 wrote:I think most of us who got the 12/1 DR are in, we all seem to have a great story and good softs and decent numbers. Most of us are URMs (well i'm not technically, but I'm blind). I feel if they reject us, we'll get snatched up by someone else rather quickly in late December! GT doesn't want to risk that!


Yeah, not sure for the 12/1 RDs butfor the EDs they all seem to be that way...urms, decent numbers, splitters etc

Yup, specifically towards EDers, sorry should've said that! I still think it's too early in general to have mass rejection mailings for even RDers yet though. Maybe a scattered few, but no mass e-mails.


I dont think its too early for the mass rejection of RDs considering last year they went out 11.28..they are overdue if anything.


I thought the 11/28 ones last year were a mixed batch, no?

User avatar
jdhopeful23
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 2:06 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby jdhopeful23 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:55 am

Just posted this as a new topic, but I was wondering what people think the effect, if any, of Dean Aleinikoff leaving in January will have on this admissions cycle and/or GULC's numbers.

I haven't followed other cycles or schools closely enough in the past, but does this sort of thing typically hurt a school's numbers? Could it play a role in the way this cycle is a little different from past cycles?

I don't have any hypotheses... just wondering what the more intelligent and dedicated members of TLS think.

Oh, and if you have not seen the article/news:

"Dean Aleinikoff Appointed United Nations Deputy High Commissioner for Refugees"
http://www.law.georgetown.edu/news/releases/December.2.2009TAA.html

p.s. this in no way affects my own burning desire to attend G-town, despite my disappoinment in such a talented Dean leaving. just in case any adcomms are hanging around, I still love you Georgetown :wink:

User avatar
robin600
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby robin600 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:58 am

everyone gather round while we pray for no rejection emails today

nyskidude
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:05 am

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby nyskidude » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:10 am

robin600 wrote:everyone gather round while we pray for no rejection emails today


+1000. I hear ya Robin. Let's hope ALL of us 12/1ers get accepted today.

jk11287
Posts: 382
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:27 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby jk11287 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:14 am

wootwootdc wrote:
robin600 wrote:
wootwootdc wrote:
robin600 wrote:I think most of us who got the 12/1 DR are in, we all seem to have a great story and good softs and decent numbers. Most of us are URMs (well i'm not technically, but I'm blind). I feel if they reject us, we'll get snatched up by someone else rather quickly in late December! GT doesn't want to risk that!


Yeah, not sure for the 12/1 RDs butfor the EDs they all seem to be that way...urms, decent numbers, splitters etc

Yup, specifically towards EDers, sorry should've said that! I still think it's too early in general to have mass rejection mailings for even RDers yet though. Maybe a scattered few, but no mass e-mails.


I dont think its too early for the mass rejection of RDs considering last year they went out 11.28..they are overdue if anything.

I don't think it was mass rejections last 11/28, I just think it was the first date of any rejections at all.

User avatar
ruleser
Posts: 870
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby ruleser » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:32 am

We should hear some accepts today based on how it worked with other decision dates.

User avatar
NancyBotwin
Posts: 1085
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:43 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby NancyBotwin » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:37 am

Omg, finally under review! (went complete 11/9)

wootwootdc
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:17 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby wootwootdc » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:59 am

the dreaded email can come till what day?

User avatar
doinmybest
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:59 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby doinmybest » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:05 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:Omg, finally under review! (went complete 11/9)


+1 went complete on 11/13. Finally!

User avatar
H. E. Pennypacker
Posts: 1022
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:26 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:09 pm

went complete 11/12. Still no changes to the status checker yet.

User avatar
uganik
Posts: 258
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:40 am

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby uganik » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:21 pm

jdhopeful23 wrote:Just posted this as a new topic, but I was wondering what people think the effect, if any, of Dean Aleinikoff leaving in January will have on this admissions cycle and/or GULC's numbers.

I haven't followed other cycles or schools closely enough in the past, but does this sort of thing typically hurt a school's numbers? Could it play a role in the way this cycle is a little different from past cycles?

I don't have any hypotheses... just wondering what the more intelligent and dedicated members of TLS think.

Oh, and if you have not seen the article/news:

"Dean Aleinikoff Appointed United Nations Deputy High Commissioner for Refugees"
http://www.law.georgetown.edu/news/releases/December.2.2009TAA.html

p.s. this in no way affects my own burning desire to attend G-town, despite my disappoinment in such a talented Dean leaving. just in case any adcomms are hanging around, I still love you Georgetown :wink:


This same situation occurred last year when Elena Kagan left Harvard in January for the Solicitor General position. She was greatly loved by all and it presented significant questions for applicants in regard to Harvard's future. She was incredibly dynamic, affable, etc. and I think she'll make a great SCOTUS Justice some day. Without diminishing his high intelligence and incredible competence, I am not certain that Dean Aleinkoff has had the same influence on Georgetown. Elena Kagan basically rescued Harvard from the "Brink". Harvard, by the way, is doing quite well now with Dean Martha Minow. Let's just hope Georgetown has great success in finding an equally dynamic replacement. I'm confident that it will.

User avatar
H. E. Pennypacker
Posts: 1022
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:26 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:32 pm

Just changed to under review. Let the nervous sweating begin.

User avatar
Hopefullawstudent
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:35 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:39 pm

Praying for no Rejection email today.

Above 75th percentile for LSAT in PT, Above 25th percentile for GPA in PT. GPA shows ridiculous upward trend. Overall 3.5. Graduate degree from the University of Chicago. Undergrad degree from top public. Leadership position. Strong PS. Letters of recommendations from two politicians (one international). Half URM/half white.

Applied both PT/FT. Decision Rendered 12/1.

AHHHHHHHHHH.

-HL

User avatar
doinmybest
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:59 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby doinmybest » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:43 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:Praying for no Rejection email today.

Above 75th percentile for LSAT in PT, Above 25th percentile for GPA in PT. GPA shows ridiculous upward trend. Overall 3.5. Graduate degree from the University of Chicago. Undergrad degree from top public. Leadership position. Strong PS. Letters of recommendations from two politicians (one international). Half URM/half white.

Applied both PT/FT. Decision Rendered 12/1.

AHHHHHHHHHH.

-HL


You'll be fine for at least PT if not both. Good luck though!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”