Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
avacado111

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby avacado111 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:00 pm

Veritas wrote:
robin600 wrote:
wootwootdc wrote:I just wish the URMs who are ED step back foward so we can make something out of it...i think theres only one other one out there besides robin..phillaw i think and thats it..the rest seem to be RD

Glad I'm in the URM group!!!! or at least treated like one by GT!!! ftw, blind people are underrepresented in the law field!

I don't think a disability will give you the boost being URM will, just fyi to keep it all in perspective.

blindess does qualify. THE END.
NO PERSPECTIVE.

Also, this is on the wrong thread, but I got my def. letter veritas :(
doesn't matter
In: duke, uva, gtown
withdrawn: cornell

hahaha

I'm withdrawing from gtown, if robin doesn't get in.

wootwootdc

Postby wootwootdc » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:05 pm

painsinmysides wrote:
wootwootdc wrote:
painsinmysides wrote:Decision rendered Today -- 12/1

Stats: 167/3.65

What are people's feelings about this? Any trend?

are you a URM?

NO, I am ED though...

FT/PT or both?

Whats an URM?

Postby Whats an URM? » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:07 pm

avacado111 wrote:
Veritas wrote:
robin600 wrote:
wootwootdc wrote:I just wish the URMs who are ED step back foward so we can make something out of it...i think theres only one other one out there besides robin..phillaw i think and thats it..the rest seem to be RD

Glad I'm in the URM group!!!! or at least treated like one by GT!!! ftw, blind people are underrepresented in the law field!

I don't think a disability will give you the boost being URM will, just fyi to keep it all in perspective.

blindess does qualify. THE END.
NO PERSPECTIVE.

Also, this is on the wrong thread, but I got my def. letter veritas :(
doesn't matter
In: duke, uva, gtown
withdrawn: cornell

hahaha

I'm withdrawing from gtown, if robin doesn't get in.

Robin:

phear_me

Postby phear_me » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:13 pm

Veritas wrote:
robin600 wrote:

A little off topic, but how the hell can being blind not count 100 times more than having a certain amount of pigment in your skin!? That's ridiculous. If you are legally blind have a 3.0 and 165+ that should damn well be enough to gain admission to any law school that you want - it doesn't get much more "overcoming the odds" than that.

Just my opinion.

brose002

Postby brose002 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:15 pm

phear_me wrote:
Veritas wrote:
robin600 wrote:

A little off topic, but how the hell can being blind not count 100 times more than having a certain amount of pigment in your skin!? That's ridiculous. If you are legally blind have a 3.0 and 165+ that should damn well be enough to gain admission to any law school that you want - it doesn't get much more "overcoming the odds" than that.

Just my opinion.

I could not agree more

painsinmysides

Postby painsinmysides » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:17 pm

wootwootdc wrote:
painsinmysides wrote:
wootwootdc wrote:
painsinmysides wrote:Decision rendered Today -- 12/1

Stats: 167/3.65

What are people's feelings about this? Any trend?

are you a URM?

NO, I am ED though...

FT/PT or both?

FT Only

WhyBother?

Postby WhyBother? » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:22 pm

phear_me wrote:A little off topic, but how the hell can being blind not count 100 times more than having a certain amount of pigment in your skin!? That's ridiculous. If you are legally blind have a 3.0 and 165+ that should damn well be enough to gain admission to any law school that you want - it doesn't get much more "overcoming the odds" than that.

Just my opinion.

I could not agree more

I disagree. As someone with a disability (although, not blindness) I don't find it to be as much as hinderance as many people might think. Nothing bothers me more than when people think the standards should be lower for me. And my disability is not insignificant. It does impact my life every single day. But it's how I've always been and how I will always be. Saying a 3.0 and 165+ is amazing for a blind person strikes me as very strange. If someone has been disabled since birth, they've come to deal with it long before they were working towards their GPA/LSAT. They are also entitled to fair and reasonable accommodations that help level the playing field. Blindness doesn't affect someone's intelligence negatively, I would expect that a blind person just has to have different tools. I understand that your comments were well-intentioned, but they were a bit patronizing. FWIW, I do think that being disabled can give you a very cool, unique perspective on life, and I think schools would be smart to include people like that in their classes (similarly to the whole justification for the URM boost).

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:47 pm

phear_me wrote:
Veritas wrote:
robin600 wrote:

Just my opinion.

A fine opinion, one that law schools do not adhere to.

phear_me

Postby phear_me » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:03 am

WhyBother? wrote:
phear_me wrote:A little off topic, but how the hell can being blind not count 100 times more than having a certain amount of pigment in your skin!? That's ridiculous. If you are legally blind have a 3.0 and 165+ that should damn well be enough to gain admission to any law school that you want - it doesn't get much more "overcoming the odds" than that.

Just my opinion.

I could not agree more

I disagree. As someone with a disability (although, not blindness) I don't find it to be as much as hinderance as many people might think. Nothing bothers me more than when people think the standards should be lower for me. And my disability is not insignificant. It does impact my life every single day. But it's how I've always been and how I will always be. Saying a 3.0 and 165+ is amazing for a blind person strikes me as very strange. If someone has been disabled since birth, they've come to deal with it long before they were working towards their GPA/LSAT. They are also entitled to fair and reasonable accommodations that help level the playing field. Blindness doesn't affect someone's intelligence negatively, I would expect that a blind person just has to have different tools. I understand that your comments were well-intentioned, but they were a bit patronizing. FWIW, I do think that being disabled can give you a very cool, unique perspective on life, and I think schools would be smart to include people like that in their classes (similarly to the whole justification for the URM boost).

My comments were in the context of including people with disabilities in the URM category. Personally, I think affirmative action is patronizing to all URM's, but my point was that if being black/hispanic/native american someone entitles you to a score discount because of assumed disadvantaged (such a crock of crap, and that's coming form someone who is part hispanic and from FOSTER CARE!) then surely a disadvantage like not having eyesight should count for even more.

While I have a strong LSAT score, I find the fact that law schools have become whores to US News rankings exceedingly disturbing. If some of the comments regarding disabilities are true (and that's a big if) and we've actually reached the point where, since disabilities don't count for PR campaigns or rankings, they aren't given due consideration, then I am disgusted by the process and will be certain to work to engender reform at whatever law school I wind up at.
Last edited by phear_me on Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Burberry by Burberry

Postby Burberry by Burberry » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:21 am

WhyBother? wrote:I disagree. As someone with a disability (although, not blindness) I don't find it to be as much as hinderance as many people might think. Nothing bothers me more than when people think the standards should be lower for me. And my disability is not insignificant. It does impact my life every single day. But it's how I've always been and how I will always be. Saying a 3.0 and 165+ is amazing for a blind person strikes me as very strange. If someone has been disabled since birth, they've come to deal with it long before they were working towards their GPA/LSAT. They are also entitled to fair and reasonable accommodations that help level the playing field. Blindness doesn't affect someone's intelligence negatively, I would expect that a blind person just has to have different tools. I understand that your comments were well-intentioned, but they were a bit patronizing. FWIW, I do think that being disabled can give you a very cool, unique perspective on life, and I think schools would be smart to include people like that in their classes (similarly to the whole justification for the URM boost).

WRONG. A person with a disability is entitled to what his/her University considers to be "fair and reasonable accommodations."
Last edited by Burberry by Burberry on Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:23 am

More <3 less angst

riburn3

Postby riburn3 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:33 am

This rankings system has people so jacked up that some are arguing over whether or not schools perceive a blind person as being a URM. Aren't there better things to do than argue over something so trivial? Unless you are the adcomm for GULC or directly asked them "Hey, is a blind applicant considered a URM in the applications process or are they given a similar bump?", you don't know and everything is just BS. Too many people on here act like they're the authority of the admissions process, when in reality they know as little as everyone else here. Voicing your opinion is fine, but acting like you know how a law school adcomm thinks is stupid.

That said, good luck to everyone who got DR over the past few days. Blind or not.

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:37 am

WhyBother? wrote:

Just my opinion.

I could not agree more

Apply what you said to any "ethnically" URM and it's the same. In fact, saying a 3.0 and 165+ for a black person or a hispanic person is amazing, IMO, is worse than saying it for someone who is blind. I think it's silly the big difference on LSP between when I put in my numbers and submit and when I put in my numbers plus URM and submit.

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:40 am

riburn3 wrote:This rankings system has people so jacked up that some are arguing over whether or not schools perceive a blind person as being a URM. Aren't there better things to do than argue over something so trivial? Unless you are the adcomm for GULC or directly asked them "Hey, is a blind applicant considered a URM in the applications process or are they given a similar bump?", you don't know and everything is just BS. Too many people on here act like they're the authority of the admissions process, when in reality they know as little as everyone else here. Voicing your opinion is fine, but acting like you know how a law school adcomm thinks is stupid.

That said, good luck to everyone who got DR over the past few days. Blind or not.

Thank you ribrun! This whole thread has made me feel so insecure about my app :( and about receiving DR 12/1, even though I wasn't even pessimistic at first, but now I'm thinking every adcom will reduce me to a # index. I like that you put things in perspective for us- we actually don't know sh*t about the way adcoms think. does anyone else feel that way???

Philaw

Postby Philaw » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:46 am

SanBun wrote:
riburn3 wrote:This rankings system has people so jacked up that some are arguing over whether or not schools perceive a blind person as being a URM. Aren't there better things to do than argue over something so trivial? Unless you are the adcomm for GULC or directly asked them "Hey, is a blind applicant considered a URM in the applications process or are they given a similar bump?", you don't know and everything is just BS. Too many people on here act like they're the authority of the admissions process, when in reality they know as little as everyone else here. Voicing your opinion is fine, but acting like you know how a law school adcomm thinks is stupid.

Thank you ribrun! This whole thread has made me feel so insecure about my app :( and about receiving DR 12/1, even though I wasn't even pessimistic at first, but now I'm thinking every adcom will reduce me to a # index. I like that you put things in perspective for us- we actually don't know sh*t about the way adcoms think.

<------Still insecure about my app., but very glad I haven't gotten an e-mail yet. Either way, I'm just waiting one way or the other....hope for th best, expect the worst, and maybe apply to Cooley just to get a full ride somewhere! :wink:

forza

Postby forza » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:30 am

--ImageRemoved--

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:31 am

forza wrote:--ImageRemoved--

<3 mom

billyez

Postby billyez » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:46 am

http://www.law.georgetown.edu/news/releases/November.13.2009c.html

Thank you God. With something like this in place I'd have no problem holding off a year after my December LSAT score rolls in and fixing my GPA. I know a Public Defender can't expect to make much money...and something like this is a blessing I just can't afford to pass up.

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:51 am

billyez wrote:http://www.law.georgetown.edu/news/releases/November.13.2009c.html

Thank you God. With something like this in place I'd have no problem holding off a year after my December LSAT score rolls in and fixing my GPA. I know a Public Defender can't expect to make much money...and something like this is a blessing I just can't afford to pass up.

As someone who's worked in non-profits for years, the cap of 75K will be an issue - after about 4 years or so, you will realize that earning less than that (if you live in any urban/suburban type setting) is not liveable, even with LRAP. So don't count on working public sector 10 years and don't count on earning less than 75K.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:00 am

ruleser wrote:
billyez wrote:http://www.law.georgetown.edu/news/releases/November.13.2009c.html

As someone who's worked in non-profits for years, the cap of 75K will be an issue - after about 4 years or so, you will realize that earning less than that (if you live in any urban/suburban type setting) is not liveable, even with LRAP. So don't count on working public sector 10 years and don't count on earning less than 75K.

i'd disagree with that. maybe in NYC, DC or LA, but in smaller markets like Atlanta or even larger ones like Houston/Dallas, 75K will allow you to live comfortably and buy a decent place

billyez

Postby billyez » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:01 am

I defer to those with my life experience in most things, but I just hope your wrong in this. Honestly, though, 60 grand would probably be fine for me. The COL in Texas can't be that much. But then again, I'm a kid in UG who sees a number like 75 grand and thinks it's enough to live off of for quite a while.

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:06 am

f0bolous wrote:
ruleser wrote:

i'd disagree with that. maybe in NYC, DC or LA, but in smaller markets like Atlanta or even larger ones like Houston/Dallas, 75K will allow you to live comfortably and buy a decent place

Agreed, I was talking major markets - if you do Atl suburb or TX suburb, 75K can prob be ok - depending what you want/if your SO works/if you want a family, etc. But in NY/DC/LA, 75K = just getting by for 1 person.

applicantin2010

Postby applicantin2010 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:16 am

My status changed to DR 12/1 (PT/ED/non-URM) and I have been following this topic since yesterday so I figured I should join.

Even in areas with lower cost of living, 75k would be tough especially if you are married and have kids. "Georgetown Law benefits would continue on a diminishing basis for incomes exceeding $75,000." I wonder how that would work.

The attorneys at the government agency I work for all surpass the 75k mark (federal gs pay scale) rather quickly as well.

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:21 am

applicantin2010 wrote:My status changed to DR 12/1 (PT/ED/non-URM) and I have been following this topic since yesterday so I figured I should join.

Even in areas with lower cost of living, 75k would be tough especially if you are married and have kids. "Georgetown Law benefits would continue on a diminishing basis for incomes exceeding $75,000." I wonder how that would work.

The attorneys at the government agency I work for all surpass the 75k mark (federal gs pay scale) rather quickly as well.

Stats, if you don't mind?

applicantin2010

Postby applicantin2010 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:28 am

SanBun wrote:
applicantin2010 wrote:My status changed to DR 12/1 (PT/ED/non-URM) and I have been following this topic since yesterday so I figured I should join.

Stats, if you don't mind?

I guess at this point the decision has been made so no reason to be paranoid, 3.75 and 162. I have pretty strong softs, lots of leadership positions in undergrad. Been a paralegal since finishing undergrad in May so I'm hoping all that is enough to balance out the low lsat.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”