Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
avacado111
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:49 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby avacado111 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:10 pm

analysis of gtown pt=headace

User avatar
puppleberry finn
Posts: 1036
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby puppleberry finn » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:18 pm

Maybe they have started to yp?


Also why are there so many avocados/avacados itt?

User avatar
Hopefullawstudent
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:35 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:20 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:I stopped reading after the bolded. How does the fact that people with high numbers got waitlisted suggest that the logic isn't true? If anything, that supports the case.


I should have made that clearer: I meant the logic being simply that the Ad Committee is trying to raise the PT medians, period.

Sorry if it = a headache guys, but I really think the stuff I bolded in my post is something worth thinking about. [Insert comment here from people who say, "It's all said and done, no use worrying now."]

-HL

User avatar
NayBoer
Posts: 1013
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby NayBoer » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:23 pm

puppins wrote:Maybe they have started to yp?


Also why are there so many avocados/avacados itt?
Avacado? Well, you can't spell 'guacamole' without G-U-L-C.

goodolgil
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby goodolgil » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:26 pm

Am I the only one who thinks that "law center" sounds bush league compared to "law school?" I'd rather to go to Georgetown Law School than Georgetown Law Center.

User avatar
Whats an URM?
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:59 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby Whats an URM? » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:27 pm

goodolgil wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that "law center" sounds bush league compared to "law school?" I'd rather to go to Georgetown Law School than Georgetown Law Center.



Don't listen to him GULC. I like you just the way you are. Accept me!

User avatar
puppleberry finn
Posts: 1036
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby puppleberry finn » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:30 pm

I actually prefer law center.

User avatar
AngryAvocado
Posts: 776
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby AngryAvocado » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:33 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:
AngryAvocado wrote:I stopped reading after the bolded. How does the fact that people with high numbers got waitlisted suggest that the logic isn't true? If anything, that supports the case.


I should have made that clearer: I meant the logic being simply that the Ad Committee is trying to raise the PT medians, period.

Sorry if it = a headache guys, but I really think the stuff I bolded in my post is something worth thinking about. [Insert comment here from people who say, "It's all said and done, no use worrying now."]

-HL


Ah, I see. I disagree with the logic, though. Now that PT applicants are basically considered FT applicants for the purposes of ranking, G-Town might be subjecting PT candidates to roughly the same sort of selectivity as FT candidates. A 3.5 168 is solid, but hardly a lock under that criteria. As has been pointed out, it remains to be seen if they can field a PT program with the sort of numbers that they might be looking for now, but it looks like they're trying. If it doesn't work, as I said earlier, they might cut the class size a bit or woo some FT waitlisters with $$.

User avatar
NayBoer
Posts: 1013
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby NayBoer » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:33 pm

If we're getting picky about names, they should pass a resolution to rededicate the 'George' in their name to Washington instead of King III.

Kidding! Please don't reject me.

User avatar
AngryAvocado
Posts: 776
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby AngryAvocado » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:34 pm

NayBoer wrote:
puppins wrote:Maybe they have started to yp?


Also why are there so many avocados/avacados itt?
Avacado? Well, you can't spell 'guacamole' without G-U-L-C.


+1. :lol:

User avatar
NayBoer
Posts: 1013
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby NayBoer » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:35 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:Now that PT applicants are basically considered FT applicants for the purposes of ranking, G-Town might be subjecting PT candidates to roughly the same sort of selectivity as FT candidates.
This was part of the reason I applied FT instead of both.

User avatar
HJO
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:04 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby HJO » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:42 pm

I think that 168/3.5 could be a YP, but really who knows.

User avatar
MC Southstar
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby MC Southstar » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:43 pm

HJO wrote:I think that 168/3.5 could be a YP, but really who knows.


*takes off his dueling glove and slaps you across the face*

CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby CyLaw » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:45 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:
HJO wrote:I think that 168/3.5 could be a YP, but really who knows.


*takes off his dueling glove and slaps you across the face*


Wrong Thread. Violent actions go in the Berkeley 2010 thread.

MissLucky
Posts: 903
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:48 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby MissLucky » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:46 pm

HJO wrote:I think that 168/3.5 could be a YP, but really who knows.


I thought GT really doesn't do YP

User avatar
MC Southstar
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby MC Southstar » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:47 pm

CyLaw wrote:
shadowfrost000 wrote:
HJO wrote:I think that 168/3.5 could be a YP, but really who knows.


*takes off his dueling glove and slaps you across the face*


Wrong Thread. Violent actions go in the Berkeley 2010 thread.


Do you go to ISU? My parents went there ^__^ GL my comp sci brotha

CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby CyLaw » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:48 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:Do you go to ISU? My parents went there ^__^


Yes. Came here after the military so my wife could study for her PhD here.

User avatar
HJO
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:04 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby HJO » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:50 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:
HJO wrote:I think that 168/3.5 could be a YP, but really who knows.


*takes off his dueling glove and slaps you across the face*


If you have W/E with those stats you could go to NW almost for sure, probably get in at least one of Mich/Penn/Cornell. I am surprised by the fact that those stats were W/L too, but a YP seems rational to me for PT what are the chances that a person with those numbers to actually end up at GULC PT? I could see those numbers getting a WL for FT no problem.

My theory is null obviously if the 168/3.5 is a ED.

lhfan
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:55 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby lhfan » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:53 pm

It's been mentioned before but I also think they are going to go after all the borderline rejections/waitlists for FT to enter in the PT program instead. It seems like a different way to game the rankings while not having huge daytime classes.

That being said, if one looks at LSN, a 168/3.5 is one of the better score combinations on there. I suppose the chances of admittance depend on how willing people who would normally attend FT enter as a PT. Any thoughts from the FT only people here?

User avatar
HJO
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:04 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby HJO » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:56 pm

http://gulc.lawschoolnumbers.com/applic ... ,5&type=jd

everyone last year that applied PT with above a 168.

170/3.4-Reject
169/3.4-Reject
168/3.3-Reject

169/3.18-Accept

Who the fuck knows.

User avatar
ruleser
Posts: 870
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:41 am

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby ruleser » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:02 pm

Here's a question that may help this discussion - have any of the accepts so far been to the PT prog? If so, the numbers of those accepts could say what they are doing this year (if it is YP, or they want even higher #'s).

I kind of go with
1) possibly YP
2) from what I've heard in the past, they do focus on a certain type for PT, mainly DC working types - it may be for reputation purposes they need to keep enough spots open for the gov't boys and gals who work for Congresspeople/Senators/Dept of Justice/Pentagon?etc.

avacado111
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:49 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby avacado111 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:10 pm

puppins wrote:Maybe they have started to yp?


Also why are there so many avocados/avacados itt?


why aren't there more avacados?

AdmitMe17
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:46 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby AdmitMe17 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:36 pm

what does YP mean?

User avatar
Hopefullawstudent
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:35 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:48 pm

AdmitMe17 wrote:what does YP mean?


Yield Protection: Deny people with high enough numbers that they are likely to attend elsewhere.

tesoro
Posts: 472
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:10 pm

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Postby tesoro » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:33 pm

ruleser wrote:Here's a question that may help this discussion - have any of the accepts so far been to the PT prog? If so, the numbers of those accepts could say what they are doing this year (if it is YP, or they want even higher #'s).

I kind of go with
1) possibly YP
2) from what I've heard in the past, they do focus on a certain type for PT, mainly DC working types - it may be for reputation purposes they need to keep enough spots open for the gov't boys and gals who work for Congresspeople/Senators/Dept of Justice/Pentagon?etc.


I'm a DC gov't working type.

I need to train myself to stop looking at this thread now that i have a decision. You kids can continue analyzing, I've gotta figure out how to get off of the waitlist in the meantime.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”