Georgetown 2013/ (2014) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
robin600

Gold

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Post by robin600 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:02 pm

finalaspects wrote:
dakatz wrote:Honestly, the longer the wait is, the more optimistic I'm getting. Lots of (quite possibly inept) folks in admissions keep saying about mail backups and screwups getting stuff out. Would they be saying all that if we were all just getting rejection or WL emails? How could there possibly be this kind of delay if it was just a round of emails? There must be something going out hard copy. I hope whoever in the admissions office said that all rejections/WL's are emails is on the low end of the G-Town admissions ineptitude scale.
It doesn't make sense that other acceptances would be received much faster than the 12/1 dates. I would not be surprised if the 12/7 DR gets their mail before the 12/1 dates. Whatever is causing the delay, it doesn't seem to affect the acceptance letters...
That would be totally messed up! If they are behind in 12/1 DRs they are behind in ALL DRs. They have to put people in the system some how, and right now system is f***** up. But since some have said things have been sent, we might just get them at the same time! Arrgh!

Ps- When I called the admissions lady, she said for me to be patient and wait a full 10 days before calling. Just warning you all before she gets sick of us calling and fires up a shit storm. Ahhhhh! Way to be prepared GT!

wootwootdc

New

Post by wootwootdc » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:03 pm

What i should have asked if "when were they sent out"

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:05 pm

wootwootdc wrote:What i should have asked if "when were they sent out"
Who's turn is it to call and ask this question?

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:06 pm

Wait I'm thinking....if everything was sent out already wouldn't we got a reject email by now if we were rejected? e-mail doesn't take 2-3days..???

Superfan08

New

Post by Superfan08 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:07 pm

ruleser wrote:said
dakatz wrote:Honestly, the longer the wait is, the more optimistic I'm getting. Lots of (quite possibly inept) folks in admissions keep saying about mail backups and screwups getting stuff out. Would they be saying all that if we were all just getting rejection or WL emails? How could there possibly be this kind of delay if it was just a round of emails? There must be something going out hard copy. I hope whoever in the admissions office said that all rejections/WL's are emails is on the low end of the G-Town admissions ineptitude scale.
You've never dealt with an IT department maybe - they are notorius for taking forever to do things such as send e-blasts (other emergency projects always pop up, I've waited a month for something that normally takes a day)

Look, could be anything - maybe they were going to ding us, ran the list by the Dean and he said, literally, "Are you on crack - you're throwing out all our URM's/splitters/etc???" and made them go back and find 10% to keep/WL or something. Who knows.

But I wouldn't keep calling. A week is not long in the life of an office - it may feel like forever to us, but it's like after I've interviewed people for jobs, they call the next week, then again - sometimes it just takes a month or more when you told them you'd be deciding the next week - it just happens, and you appreciate them not just calling and calling.
+1 I'm a paralegal, and as someone who scans docs all day I can say that it can take a LOT longer than you may think, especially since the scanning of WL/rejection emails seems to be a new admissions process this year.

Having said that, I really hope you're right. However, the differences between the applicants on LSN with a 12/1 DR and "pending" status (I don't completely count the 12/1 DRs who have a "accepted" status; it's very possible that these were from an earlier DR batch who received the mail on 12/1) is pretty significant. The 11/30 and 12/7 batch seem to have much higher numbers. That's not to say that there won't be any acceptances in the 12/1 group, but overall I'm not entirely confident.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IHL2009

New

Post by IHL2009 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:07 pm

+1
But how sure are we that only acceptances arrive by snail mail?

EDIT: +1 was meant to go for the post before the previous post
Last edited by IHL2009 on Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:09 pm

Superfan08 wrote:
You've never dealt with an IT department maybe - they are notorius for taking forever to do things such as send e-blasts (other emergency projects always pop up, I've waited a month for something that normally takes a day)

Look, could be anything - maybe they were going to ding us, ran the list by the Dean and he said, literally, "Are you on crack - you're throwing out all our URM's/splitters/etc???" and made them go back and find 10% to keep/WL or something. Who knows.

But I wouldn't keep calling. A week is not long in the life of an office - it may feel like forever to us, but it's like after I've interviewed people for jobs, they call the next week, then again - sometimes it just takes a month or more when you told them you'd be deciding the next week - it just happens, and you appreciate them not just calling and calling.
+1 I'm a paralegal, and as someone who scans docs all day I can say that it can take a LOT longer than you may think, especially since the scanning of WL/rejection emails seems to be a new admissions process this year.

Having said that, I really hope you're right. However, the differences between the applicants on LSN with a 12/1 DR and "pending" status (I don't completely count the 12/1 DRs who have a "accepted" status; it's very possible that these were from an earlier DR batch who received the mail on 12/1) is pretty significant. The 11/30 and 12/7 batch seem to have much higher numbers. That's not to say that there won't be any acceptances in the 12/1 group, but overall I'm not entirely confident.
But the 12/1 batch is mainly ED and URM is it not? They will likely have lower acceptance numbers won't they?

wootwootdc

New

Post by wootwootdc » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:10 pm

"when were they sent out"?
Last edited by wootwootdc on Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PapantlaFlyer

New

Post by PapantlaFlyer » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:11 pm

This is nuts, I'm very excited to find out how all this drama turns out for you folks. I have my interview today, I hope decisions rendered in the next few weeks go a little more smoothly. Good luck!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Superfan08

New

Post by Superfan08 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:14 pm

robin600 wrote:
Superfan08 wrote:

But the 12/1 batch is mainly ED and URM is it not? They will likely have lower acceptance numbers won't they?
Maybe not significantly lower numbers, though. At least for the non-URM ED applicants. There are a few applicants on LSN in the 12/1 batch with auto-reject numbers, non-URM.

Edit: It's quite possible that the fact that I'm ED with numbers below GULC's medians is fueling my pessimism.

jk11287

Bronze

Post by jk11287 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:16 pm

Green Crayons wrote:
uganik wrote:This response by GULC supports a theory I have been considering this past week as to why the delay is occurring.
I think this is actually a pretty good theory. As far as I'm aware, GULC doesn't have a track record of being non-committal and sending mixed signals about their ED decisions once they have been posted as finalized. The sudden leave of the current Dean could easily be a cause as to the hold up.
I wonder if the dean's announcement affects their decision of ED applicants; maybe they went back and changed some decisions because they wanted to make sure they had as many guaranteed people paying sticker as possible.

jk11287

Bronze

Post by jk11287 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:19 pm

Also, I would advise everyone to stop calling. Its not really helping, they aren't giving out information. We know our batch was delayed, and that's it. By calling the office, we're all sort of yelling at people that most likely have no control over the delay.

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:22 pm

jk11287 wrote:Also, I would advise everyone to stop calling. Its not really helping, they aren't giving out information. We know our batch was delayed, and that's it. By calling the office, we're all sort of yelling at people that most likely have no control over the delay.
If you're polite and asking question (which I think we have a right to) I don't see the harm, it's their job. No it's not going to get our decisions any faster but it may offer some clarity into what kind of mishap we're looking at. Just a thought.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:23 pm

Superfan08 wrote:
Maybe not significantly lower numbers, though. At least for the non-URM ED applicants. There are a few applicants on LSN in the 12/1 batch with auto-reject numbers, non-URM.

Edit: It's quite possible that the fact that I'm ED with numbers below GULC's medians is fueling my pessimism.
May not be significantly lower they all seem to be lower than the median in one way or another. A school will normally try to up hold their median or increase it. I am not ED or an URM and i have a 12/1 DR.

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:25 pm

finalaspects wrote:
Superfan08 wrote:

May not be significantly lower they all seem to be lower than the median in one way or another. A school will normally try to up hold their median or increase it. I am not ED or an URM and i have a 12/1 DR.
+1 final, me too.

jk11287

Bronze

Post by jk11287 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:25 pm

robin600 wrote:
jk11287 wrote:Also, I would advise everyone to stop calling. Its not really helping, they aren't giving out information. We know our batch was delayed, and that's it. By calling the office, we're all sort of yelling at people that most likely have no control over the delay.
If you're polite and asking question (which I think we have a right to) I don't see the harm, it's their job. No it's not going to get our decisions any faster but it may offer some clarity into what kind of mishap we're looking at. Just a thought.
I mean, sure, its your prerogative if you want to...I'm just saying, I don't think that they are actually handing out very much info, and you're most likely talking to a receptionist that has nothing to do with the process.

starscream

New

Post by starscream » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:27 pm

Non-ED, Non-URM, 168/3.5. 12/1 DR. Lost all hope, lol.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jk11287

Bronze

Post by jk11287 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:27 pm

Ugh, just got the mail, and the only thing I received was a brochure on NYU's grad programs.

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:28 pm

starscream wrote:Non-ED, Non-URM, 168/3.5. 12/1 DR. Lost all hope, lol.
might be a waitlist? Plus you never know. I've been hoping that ive been wrong this whole time. i should lose all hope with a 168/3.1

Agent Bartowski

New

Post by Agent Bartowski » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:52 pm

Having some history with sending mass emails I just thought id share- the batch process can fail over and over again with no real cause. With the systems a lot of these schools are using their email server can take days to actually get the email sent out. So I'm never surprised when email takes forever.

jk11287

Bronze

Post by jk11287 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:57 pm

Agent Bartowski wrote:Having some history with sending mass emails I just thought id share- the batch process can fail over and over again with no real cause. With the systems a lot of these schools are using their email server can take days to actually get the email sent out. So I'm never surprised when email takes forever.
That makes sense, I get what you're saying...but why would they say they were already sent out?? That's just cruel. My mailwoman is scared of me.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JohnYuu

New

Post by JohnYuu » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:03 pm

Agent Bartowski wrote:Having some history with sending mass emails I just thought id share- the batch process can fail over and over again with no real cause. With the systems a lot of these schools are using their email server can take days to actually get the email sent out. So I'm never surprised when email takes forever.
Are you sure about emails taking days? I don't know much about computers, but that sounds a bit too much.

0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:04 pm

JohnYuu wrote:
Are you sure about emails taking days? I don't know much about computers, but that sounds a bit too much.
Well see the interwebz is a series of tubes okay. And sometimes the tubes can get clogged.

phear_me

New

Post by phear_me » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:14 pm

MissLucky wrote:who is ED and hasn't gone DR yet?

Part Time ED
Application sent 9/29
Complete 11/03
Under Review 12/03
Still no DR

jk11287

Bronze

Post by jk11287 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:15 pm

phear_me wrote:
MissLucky wrote:who is ED and hasn't gone DR yet?

Part Time ED
Application sent 9/29
Complete 11/03
Under Review 12/03
Still no DR
numbers?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”