Georgetown 2013/ (2014) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tilghmab

New

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Post by tilghmab » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:43 am

General consensus on time between post-interview UR to DR?

Miltiades

Gold

Post by Miltiades » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:49 am

robin600 wrote:
avacado111 wrote:if robin600 doesn't get in... I'm going to withdraw from gtown
I switched from ED to RD anyways.

seriously, eye sugeries and a 4.0 GPA? Amazing. honestly, I don't think anyone fits up to that mark.

:D
Well I haven't cured cancer yet or anything! Unfortunately law school is a numbers game, so if they don't like my numbers enough who knows.
Well, my guess would be, that you have done enough to warrant your softs being labeled in the "I cured cancer" soft category. It isn't like you were just president of the glee club or something.

I'd be very disappointed if you didn't get in, but I bet Vandy accepts you no matter what.

SHARK WEEK!

Bronze

Post by SHARK WEEK! » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:52 am

shadowfrost000 wrote: Men lie, women lie, numbers don't.
Okay. This is sillier than my original comment, so I'll just stop right here.

I'm sorry I vented earlier(?) I guess I'm just on edge as everyone else is. I'll let the Adcoms go back to gaming the rankings in peace. :mrgreen:

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:52 am

wootwootdc wrote: men and women come up with those numbers..
Psh, it's from a song. How would you quantify difficulty?

puppleberry finn

Silver

Post by puppleberry finn » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:53 am

SHARK WEEK! wrote: Oh boy. I'd buy a Western Mississippi State University sweatshirt and wear it around if only the school existed.. calm down. And, I suppose Harvard was an iffy choice too, considering its notoriety for grade inflation. But, with about a speck of inference, anyone can see my point, and it is a valid point: The strength of your UG institution should play a bigger role in the admissions process than it currently does, and the UNSWR ranking system is largely to blame for this.

If you aren't willing to acknowledge the enormous difference between performing at a certain level at Harvard versus a place like Western Mississippi State, besides acknowledging that there is a "RANKING" difference, then you are downright ignorant. :lol:
The ranking system isn't the only reason why UG doesn't play a huge roll. First, someone from HYP UG? They already get a small boost, so it's not like the top of the top aren't doing just fine. Past that, quality of UG does not necessarily mean quality of graduate. Some people (shockingly enough) can't afford expensive private schools, need to stay near their families because they are main caretakers, took scholarships at lower ranked schools, etc. Everyone is a special snowflake and all that.

Additionally, why would just going to Harvard mean that you were a better student? What about the Harvard Area-Studies BA vs the Western Mississippi State Mech. Engineering BS? What about the Western Miss. grad who was also head of their student newspaper, worked full time while putting themselves through school, and spent a ton of time volunteering after classes and work? Are they really a worse get than that HUG whose parents paid for a private HS with grade inflation and SAT courses like Dwight, which (along with the prestige of the private HS) got them into a better UG which their parents then paid for, who didn't have to work during college, who didn't join any extracurricular anything and just took their 12 credits / semester with grade inflation?

And thus we approach the slippery slope of softs in general. It isn't rankings necessarily that incentivizes a system focused on numbers, though that helps, but rather the unending and unquantifiable nature of non-numbers that make them difficult to interpret and judge.

But on a more concrete note, do you think, with your GULC JD, you should be hired behind every person from a T13? Even if you had higher grades? Institution reputation and all...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:55 am

You're also overlooking the fact that every method we use to quantify the potential performance of human capital is insufficient and inaccurate in the first place.

Don't worry, one day we'll finish sequencing the genome and be able to publish reports that show which ethnic groups have higher intelligence. Then, the shit will really hit the fan.
Last edited by MC Southstar on Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

wootwootdc

New

Post by wootwootdc » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:57 am

I just need to find out if I got in or not so I can move on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:57 am

shadowfrost000 wrote:You're also overlooking the fact that every method we use to quantify the potential performance of human capital is insufficient and inaccurate in the first place.
Overstatement. We have LSAT.

rockthelaw

Bronze

Post by rockthelaw » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:58 am

wootwootdc wrote:I just need to find out if I got in or not so I can move on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ha, that's what I was saying until I got put on the preferred waitlist. So, I won't be moving on until May at the earliest!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:03 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
shadowfrost000 wrote:You're also overlooking the fact that every method we use to quantify the potential performance of human capital is insufficient and inaccurate in the first place.
Imma build a computer that scans you at birth, puts it into a formula with your parents' SAT scores and lifetime GPAs and overall income records, desirability coefficient of their living conditions, air quality of the household, eating habits, and tells you your average LSAT score. Whutup, whutup?

Flame baiting aside. My point was that the system is flawed, but it's flawed because it tries to explain something that is almost impossible to quantify. (And truly being able to quantify it poses serious ethical dilemmas)

True. Numbers are selectively generated by people and what formulas they think are most appropriate. However, in interpretation of someone's credentials, numbers are a much more objective and concrete thing to look at than "omgggg HAHVUHD".
Last edited by MC Southstar on Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

wootwootdc

New

Post by wootwootdc » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:06 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:
Imma build a computer that scans you at birth and tells you your average LSAT score. Whutup, whutup?
lol. true.

just because its accepted it doesn't mean is adequate. if you want to be a lawyer thats the first trait you should carry, not taking everything at face value (or acceptance) and really making an effort to understand and seek the equity (or lack thereof) behind it.

wootwootdc

New

Post by wootwootdc » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:21 pm

lets focus on what we do best, obsessing and predicting what this batch means given the (flawed or not) numbers, qualities etc of the applicants who went DR..what do you guys think? was i completely off with my ED-URM theory?

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:26 pm

avacado111 wrote:
robin600 wrote:

seriously, eye sugeries and a 4.0 GPA? Amazing. honestly, I don't think anyone fits up to that mark.

Well I haven't cured cancer yet or anything! Unfortunately law school is a numbers game, so if they don't like my numbers enough who knows.
It's the same soft in my head :)
To over come a disability is a very hard thing to do, especially being partially blind. That's an amazing accomplishment in rise of an obstacle.

I will withdraw if your not accepted robin. Seriously. Do keep me posted.
Thank you so much for the kind words, I appreciate them really. I will def. keep you and everyone else posted on my status.
Miltiades wrote:
robin600 wrote:

Well, my guess would be, that you have done enough to warrant your softs being labeled in the "I cured cancer" soft category. It isn't like you were just president of the glee club or something.

I'd be very disappointed if you didn't get in, but I bet Vandy accepts you no matter what.
I'd be very happy with a Vandy acceptance :) Perhaps a Cornell and UofM acceptance would be great too??!? but GT is my top choice because of their PT program and AMAZING PLIS scholly and loan repayment/forgiveness program for public interest attorneys.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:32 pm

wootwootdc wrote:lets focus on what we do best, obsessing and predicting what this batch means given the (flawed or not) numbers, qualities etc of the applicants who went DR..what do you guys think? was i completely off with my ED-URM theory?
ED URM and above median? If you don't get in, you must have molested little boys.

wootwootdc

New

Post by wootwootdc » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:40 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:
wootwootdc wrote:lets focus on what we do best, obsessing and predicting what this batch means given the (flawed or not) numbers, qualities etc of the applicants who went DR..what do you guys think? was i completely off with my ED-URM theory?
ED URM and above median? If you don't get in, you must have molested little boys.
following the pessimistic view, accepting students with disabilities with median numbers is not in the interest of the school since they do not go into the values that USNWR uses for its holy grail.

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:42 pm

wootwootdc wrote:
shadowfrost000 wrote:
following the pessimistic view, accepting students with disabilities with median numbers is not in the interest of the school since they do not go into the values that USNWR uses for its holy grail.
If that were true, they wouldn't accept all those URMs with terrible numbers.

avacado111

Bronze

Post by avacado111 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:45 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:
wootwootdc wrote:
shadowfrost000 wrote:
If that were true, they wouldn't accept all those URMs with terrible numbers.
1. Law schools value diversity any type. So having a disability def gives you a shot. Either way.
2. They accepted me yesterday after I called to rush my application, and I do think some of yesterdays DR are acceptances. I say this because Gtown hasn't really accepted any minorities.
3. Also acceptance rate of minorities isn't depended on numbers, it's diversity and their life stories. So you can't just judge a minority based upon numbers.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:46 pm

avacado111 wrote:
1. Law schools value diversity any type. So having a disability def gives you a shot. Either way.
2. They accepted me yesterday after I called to rush my application, and I do think some of yesterdays DR are acceptances. I say this because Gtown hasn't really accepted any minorities.
3. Also acceptance rate of minorities isn't depended on numbers, it's diversity and their life stories. So you can't just judge a minority based upon numbers.
You can if they're Asian. :roll:

autumn80

New

Post by autumn80 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:47 pm

I apologize if this has been repeated. But this is the first significant batch of ED decisions right? Before this there were a couple scattered acceptances here and there (two?), and those were easily the cream of the crop because of their competitive numbers. I guess my question is: are there are ED people who are still not at DR yet? Just trying to get a sense if 12/1 is Gtown clearing out ALL the EDers so it could be accept/defer/ding either way.

I was told Asians need not be ORM in law, especially women.

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:49 pm

autumn80 wrote:I apologize if this has been repeated. But this is the first significant batch of ED decisions right? Before this there were a couple scattered acceptances here and there (two?), and those were easily the cream of the crop because of their competitive numbers. I guess my question is: are there are ED people who are still not at DR yet? Just trying to get a sense if 12/1 is Gtown clearing out ALL the EDers so it could be accept/defer/ding either way.

I don't know. There seem to be around 1.5-2x as many female Asian law students as male at any given law school.

puppleberry finn

Silver

Post by puppleberry finn » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:51 pm

Weird amount of asian-related arguments on TLS lately.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

autumn80

New

Post by autumn80 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:53 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:
autumn80 wrote:I apologize if this has been repeated. But this is the first significant batch of ED decisions right? Before this there were a couple scattered acceptances here and there (two?), and those were easily the cream of the crop because of their competitive numbers. I guess my question is: are there are ED people who are still not at DR yet? Just trying to get a sense if 12/1 is Gtown clearing out ALL the EDers so it could be accept/defer/ding either way.

I don't know. There seem to be around 1.5-2x as many female Asian law students as male at any given law school.
Dangit. I didn't think Asian women like to bicker. Maybe they do.

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:53 pm

puppins wrote:Weird amount of asian-related arguments on TLS lately.
It's probably my fault.
Dangit. I didn't think Asian women like to bicker. Maybe they do.
They like you to think that they don't like to bicker.
Last edited by MC Southstar on Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

avacado111

Bronze

Post by avacado111 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:53 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:
It's probably my fault.
y?

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:54 pm

They're all so damn competitive, I guess it makes sense.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”