Georgetown 2013/ (2014) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:02 pm

nixxers wrote:
louboutin wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:Just got an email that I am an "Alternate" for a scholarship. Anyone else get this?
me too.
lol me too. withdrew immediately
I just emailed to be reconsidered because I do love DC (I live there currently). If she says no then I am withdrawing

wistless

New

Post by wistless » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:11 pm

crm wrote:
colforbin wrote:Any thoughts on what this means?

Current Status: Application Completed
Current Status Date: 3/3/2010
Decision Status: Decision Rendered
Decision Status Date: 3/5/2010

+1. Im thinking I am an auto reject...but good luck to you!
I was just going to ask the same thing. I guess - it's good to know I'm not alone in having a decision already rendered two days into the future.

Oh, Georgetown, how you continue to amaze me. Even if you reject me.

crm

Bronze

Post by crm » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:13 pm

wistless wrote:
crm wrote:

I was just going to ask the same thing. I guess - it's good to know I'm not alone in having a decision already rendered two days into the future.

Wow, sad thing is I didn't even notice it was for the fifth. I didn't even look at the decision status date, only cared about the status. haha. my bad.

js87

Bronze

Post by js87 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:17 pm

For those who said they're being considered as an alternate for a scholarship: were you part of the group that a phone interview previously, or did you receive the email asking if you were interested in a scholarship yesterday?

nixxers

Bronze

Post by nixxers » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:18 pm

js87 wrote:For those who said they're being considered as an alternate for a scholarship: were you part of the group that a phone interview previously, or did you receive the email asking if you were interested in a scholarship yesterday?
I had an interview before.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:20 pm

js87 wrote:For those who said they're being considered as an alternate for a scholarship: were you part of the group that a phone interview previously, or did you receive the email asking if you were interested in a scholarship yesterday?
I just received the email yesterday

lz06

Bronze

Post by lz06 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:38 pm

Also got the alternate email.. I didn't specify how much I wanted so I don't see what the point of this "alternate" stuff is, alternate for what? a large scholarship?

FWIW I felt like I had a really good interview, we had a lot of legitimate stuff to talk about and I know I showed my interest for the school. Oh well, haven't decided if I'll withdraw now or not..

colforbin

Bronze

Post by colforbin » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:44 pm

wistless wrote:
crm wrote:

Yeah same here. Were you contacted about an interview? I wasn't, and given my numbers, I can't think that this is good news.

manwitaplan

New

Post by manwitaplan » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:46 pm

My application began to be under review 2/18, and now today it was updated to still "application under review" with today's date, 3/3. What does that mean?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:47 pm

Hmmm. Maybe I'm just not even alternate status 8)

Saya

Bronze

Post by Saya » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:55 pm

Wait, does everyone have to have a phone interview? Do they contact you about interviewing after you send the email?

louboutin

Bronze

Post by louboutin » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:01 pm

I had an interview. I will most likely withdraw.

musicfor18

Silver

Post by musicfor18 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:02 pm

manwitaplan wrote:My application began to be under review 2/18, and now today it was updated to still "application under review" with today's date, 3/3. What does that mean?
Same thing happened to me today, too! It probably means that they looked at it a second time. That's my best guess. Or today was the day it actually went into review. Fingers crossed.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

brennanlives

New

Post by brennanlives » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:08 pm

Just got the e-mail - $75k for 3 years!!!!

roxj

Bronze

Post by roxj » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:27 pm

Congrats! What types of things do they ask in the interview?

brennanlives

New

Post by brennanlives » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:35 pm

roxj wrote:Congrats! What types of things do they ask in the interview?
my interviewer told me it would be a lot more like a conversation than anything, and it really was--i did most of the talking, and it turned out we had a TON in common, which was great! it was the basic "what are you up to now?" "what would you see yourself doing with a georgetown degree?" "what about the school is a great fit for you?" kind of thing, but not very structured at all. i'd just know a little bit about programs you might be interested in. good luck!!

roxj

Bronze

Post by roxj » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:38 pm

brennanlives wrote:
my interviewer told me it would be a lot more like a conversation than anything, and it really was--i did most of the talking, and it turned out we had a TON in common, which was great! it was the basic "what are you up to now?" "what would you see yourself doing with a georgetown degree?" "what about the school is a great fit for you?" kind of thing, but not very structured at all. i'd just know a little bit about programs you might be interested in. good luck!!
Thanks! When do you have to accept the offer by?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:45 pm

roxj wrote:
brennanlives wrote:
Thanks! When do you have to accept the offer by?
April 1 by 9 am. Which may preclude me from accepting.

UFLS2013

New

Post by UFLS2013 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:16 pm

also decision rendered 3/5....

anyone able to log into the admitted students website??

thisiswater1488

New

Post by thisiswater1488 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:21 pm

45K via email today!

nattybro

Bronze

Post by nattybro » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:29 pm

$45k here too. Really hoping the rest of my cycle starts to shake itself out before 4/1 so I can make an informed decision on this. Too many unknowns right now.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

wackadoodle

New

Post by wackadoodle » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:35 pm

Can I ask what kind of numbers people with scholarship offers had?

ivorynightfall

New

Post by ivorynightfall » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:35 pm

I also got the email yesterday asking me

"We also know that financing a law school education can often appear challenging especially in this economy. Therefore, because of your academic achievements, you are among a select group of our top admitted students that the Committee on Scholarship would like to consider for possible scholarship funding. The scholarship application process is our effort to consider holistically - just as we did when we reviewed your application for admission - all requests for scholarship assistance.

If you are interesting in being considered, please e-mail us at hoyas10@law.georgetown.edu by Thursday. It also would be helpful to the committee's deliberations if you could provide us with some updated information. Specifically, we are interested in knowing such things as where you are in the decision-making process, what response deadlines you may be facing from other schools, and what level of funding would make a difference in your decision."

I never contacted them before about scholarships (also I think I might have checked a box on the app saying I wanted to be considered) and was not contacted about interviews. But if people are getting replies about being alternates for scholarships and stuff, this all seems like quite a tease.

How specifically did you guys respond to this email? With hard numbers? With super-detailed information on your cycle? (Beyond the point you wanted to make? i.e. should i tell them about my failure to secure a JR2 from harvard?) Do you think this had any impact on your reply? (i.e. you didn't seem like you'd be interested so they just made you an alternate to test your actual interest in GULC?)

mozhou7

New

Post by mozhou7 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:05 pm

ivorynightfall wrote:I also got the email yesterday asking me

"We also know that financing a law school education can often appear challenging especially in this economy. Therefore, because of your academic achievements, you are among a select group of our top admitted students that the Committee on Scholarship would like to consider for possible scholarship funding. The scholarship application process is our effort to consider holistically - just as we did when we reviewed your application for admission - all requests for scholarship assistance.

If you are interesting in being considered, please e-mail us at hoyas10@law.georgetown.edu by Thursday. It also would be helpful to the committee's deliberations if you could provide us with some updated information. Specifically, we are interested in knowing such things as where you are in the decision-making process, what response deadlines you may be facing from other schools, and what level of funding would make a difference in your decision."

I never contacted them before about scholarships (also I think I might have checked a box on the app saying I wanted to be considered) and was not contacted about interviews. But if people are getting replies about being alternates for scholarships and stuff, this all seems like quite a tease.

How specifically did you guys respond to this email? With hard numbers? With super-detailed information on your cycle? (Beyond the point you wanted to make? i.e. should i tell them about my failure to secure a JR2 from harvard?) Do you think this had any impact on your reply? (i.e. you didn't seem like you'd be interested so they just made you an alternate to test your actual interest in GULC?)
I was interviewed for a scholarship...I mentioned that I got into a top 3, and received a full-ride from UVa, but am interested in being in DC.

Got 0 dollars today - straight up...not even an alternate...haha, so use your discretion...

Edit: not saying that the information I revealed caused the 0 scholarship...but it could have...I really hit it off with my interviewer.

johndhi

Bronze

Post by johndhi » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:10 pm

Fuck - awarded $0 after the whole scholarship interviews.

Is there really any reason to fill out the fafsa/yellow form/whatever? If everyone says you just get loans, what's the point?

BTW, weird guy above who got full ride from UVA was offered nothing by GTown - I didn't have any other money offers and I got 0. FML.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”