Georgetown 2013/ (2014) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tommytahoe

Silver

Re: Georgetown 2013/ (2014)

Post by tommytahoe » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:54 pm

Torvon wrote:
Shellbelle wrote:anybody know if georgetown's a mac-friendly school? My assumption is that most have to be...but I've heard rumors this isn't always the case at all schools because some test programs are not compatible.

Just wondering before I go out and buy a laptop...

Thanks!
Well according to their recommendations they support Apple. Just so you know, GULC has a contract with Apple and they have discounted, recommended setups that you can buy. Also, if you want to increase your student budget so your loans will cover the purchase you have to buy the laptop in the academic year (sept - may).
Nice! They look even more attractive now! 8)

Bailarina08

New

Post by Bailarina08 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:16 am

Hey guys,
Is anyone still showing "Under Review" from 2/19? Mine hasn't been updated and I'm concerned since most people went under review again or heard. (Not that I'm not grateful that I haven't been rejected...yet.)

UFLS2013

New

Post by UFLS2013 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:50 am

Still under review since 2/25. Any idea what this probably means?

madforsadness

New

Post by madforsadness » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:24 am

Bailarina08 wrote:Hey guys,
Is anyone still showing "Under Review" from 2/19? Mine hasn't been updated and I'm concerned since most people went under review again or heard. (Not that I'm not grateful that I haven't been rejected...yet.)

I'm still UR from 2/19. I figure it can't be a bad thing that other 2/19 people have been rejected and we haven't?

When did you apply and what are you numbers? I'm late-jan with a pretty much auto-reject 167/3.67.

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:57 am

I'm an auto reject and have been under review since 2/12. I think it's a good sign that they didn't immediately ding me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

waitingfor1L

New

Post by waitingfor1L » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:18 am

newyorker88 wrote:I'm an auto reject and have been under review since 2/12. I think it's a good sign that they didn't immediately ding me.
Wondering the same thing... sent mine in Nov/Dec, UR 2/17... I thought my numbers would've been auto reject. When do they normally send rejections, and is it snail mail?

Bailarina08

New

Post by Bailarina08 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:49 am

I'm wondering if they have a quota on how many people they can reject in one go. Since all of us seem like auto-rejects, I'm thinking perhaps they're just delaying a little. Although I'd love to be optimistic and think something in my application caught their eye and that I'm not on the chopping block quite yet.

Does anyone have any ideas?

pollaclc

Bronze

Post by pollaclc » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:53 am

weak consider numbers, UR 2/17
Bailarina08 wrote: Since all of us seem like auto-rejects, I'm thinking perhaps they're just delaying a little. Although I'd love to be optimistic and think something in my application caught their eye and that I'm not on the chopping block quite yet.

Does anyone have any ideas?
+1

Shellbelle

Bronze

Post by Shellbelle » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:09 pm

tommytahoe wrote:
Torvon wrote:
Shellbelle wrote:anybody know if georgetown's a mac-friendly school? My assumption is that most have to be...but I've heard rumors this isn't always the case at all schools because some test programs are not compatible.

Just wondering before I go out and buy a laptop...

Thanks!
Well according to their recommendations they support Apple. Just so you know, GULC has a contract with Apple and they have discounted, recommended setups that you can buy. Also, if you want to increase your student budget so your loans will cover the purchase you have to buy the laptop in the academic year (sept - may).
Nice! They look even more attractive now! 8)

awesome!!! thanks :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

savesthedayajb

Silver

Post by savesthedayajb » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:11 pm

I would really love to get into their PT program. Are there lots of people on here going for only PT?

roxj

Bronze

Post by roxj » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:21 pm

Just got an e-mail saying I'm being considered for scholly money. Anybody else?

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:27 pm

roxj wrote:Just got an e-mail saying I'm being considered for scholly money. Anybody else?
Some of us had interviews last week, did it ask for you to setup an interview? Or do they have enough info already?

roxj

Bronze

Post by roxj » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:35 pm

Kakarot wrote:
roxj wrote:Just got an e-mail saying I'm being considered for scholly money. Anybody else?
Some of us had interviews last week, did it ask for you to setup an interview? Or do they have enough info already?
It says to e-mail them if I want to be considered. Sorry I hadn't been following this thread lately!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:38 pm

roxj wrote:
Kakarot wrote:
It says to e-mail them if I want to be considered. Sorry I hadn't been following this thread lately!
Oh no, not mad at all. I think this may be the start of their second wave. I just hope it means they are done deciding on us. :) They said we'd hear by Thursday at the latest. Hope they are done sooner.

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:41 pm

Kakarot wrote: Oh no, not mad at all. I think this may be the start of their second wave. I just hope it means they are done deciding on us. :) They said we'd hear by Thursday at the latest. Hope they are done sooner.
Hoping the same thing :)

Edit for typing fail
Last edited by Amelie on Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rafikiwa

New

Post by rafikiwa » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:42 pm

The original e-mail did say that initial offers would be made March 2...

apples

New

Post by apples » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:44 pm

beef wellington wrote:Anecdotally, I've seen a GULC PT student on here claim that they really look for a reason you'd wanna do PT like a job in DC, and most of the people admitted to it applied for PT only. By this account they treat most people who apply to both as not actually being interested in PT.

edit: this could very well change this year now that USNWR is considering PT programs.

I disagree. I applied to both, didn't provide an explanation as to why I was applying for PT, and was accepted to PT - not FT. I applied to both because my LSAT is slightly below 25% so I wasn't confident about FT, but still wanted the opportunity to go to Gtown.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

roxj

Bronze

Post by roxj » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:46 pm

I went back through the thread, and the wording in my e-mail is exactly the same as the earlier ones, except that there is no mention of a phone interview. It makes me kind of nervous that they basically say 'how much money do we have to give you to come to our school?' I was offered 72k at Vandy, do you think I should try to leverage this? Or should I leverage smaller offers at higher schools (30k at Mich, Chi)?

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:49 pm

roxj wrote:I went back through the thread, and the wording in my e-mail is exactly the same as the earlier ones, except that there is no mention of a phone interview. It makes me kind of nervous that they basically say 'how much money do we have to give you to come to our school?' I was offered 72k at Vandy, do you think I should try to leverage this? Or should I leverage smaller offers at higher schools (30k at Mich, Chi)?
I would mention all offers - they'll see the various schools/amounts and can probably guess how much they'll need to give you to tempt you.

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:50 pm

roxj wrote:I went back through the thread, and the wording in my e-mail is exactly the same as the earlier ones, except that there is no mention of a phone interview. It makes me kind of nervous that they basically say 'how much money do we have to give you to come to our school?' I was offered 72k at Vandy, do you think I should try to leverage this? Or should I leverage smaller offers at higher schools (30k at Mich, Chi)?
The phone interview was actually really nice. Leverage all offers, dollar amounts were the only awkward part of my interview. They came pretty close to coming right out and asking a dollar amount, and I didn't have a good answer. Having the option to just put it out in an e-mail is so much better.

Maggie beat me to this btw.
Last edited by Unitas on Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundevil77

Bronze

Post by sundevil77 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:52 pm

+1

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

democrattotheend

Bronze

Post by democrattotheend » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:54 pm

roxj wrote:I went back through the thread, and the wording in my e-mail is exactly the same as the earlier ones, except that there is no mention of a phone interview. It makes me kind of nervous that they basically say 'how much money do we have to give you to come to our school?'
I just got the e-mail too, and I feel the same way. I am afraid that if I ask for too much they may not give me anything, but obviously I don't want to ask for too little. I am not really comfortable naming a dollar amount at all.

I am considering saying something like "I am hoping that between my savings and any scholarship assistance offered, I can graduate with less than $75,000 worth of debt" or "I am hoping to receive enough aid that, when combined with my savings, will enable me to limit my borrowing to the federal Stafford loans", but I don't know if it's a good idea to mention that I have savings or how much I have. I don't want to make them think I don't really need help, because I definitely do.

The only leverage I have right now is a $105,000 scholarship from GW, which obviously is lower ranked, but might have some pull with Georgetown because they probably lose some students every year who get generous offers from GW and decide it's not worth taking on so much debt.

Thoughts?

chutzpah

Bronze

Post by chutzpah » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:01 pm

democrattotheend wrote:
roxj wrote:I went back through the thread, and the wording in my e-mail is exactly the same as the earlier ones, except that there is no mention of a phone interview. It makes me kind of nervous that they basically say 'how much money do we have to give you to come to our school?'
I just got the e-mail too, and I feel the same way. I am afraid that if I ask for too much they may not give me anything, but obviously I don't want to ask for too little. I am not really comfortable naming a dollar amount at all.

I am considering saying something like "I am hoping that between my savings and any scholarship assistance offered, I can graduate with less than $75,000 worth of debt" or "I am hoping to receive enough aid that, when combined with my savings, will enable me to limit my borrowing to the federal Stafford loans", but I don't know if it's a good idea to mention that I have savings or how much I have. I don't want to make them think I don't really need help, because I definitely do.

The only leverage I have right now is a $105,000 scholarship from GW, which obviously is lower ranked, but might have some pull with Georgetown because they probably lose some students every year who get generous offers from GW and decide it's not worth taking on so much debt.

Thoughts?
Aim high!! They wouldn't contact you if they didn't want you. This is good practice for negotiating salaries and whatnot in the real world, which women especially have trouble with. If you overshoot with your request its more likely they'll counter with something lower and not just laugh at you.

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:04 pm

chutzpah wrote:
democrattotheend wrote:

Thoughts?
Aim high!! They wouldn't contact you if they didn't want you. This is good practice for negotiating salaries and whatnot in the real world, which women especially have trouble with. If you overshoot with your request its more likely they'll counter with something lower and not just laugh at you.
Agreed. I pretty much told them they'd have to beat my 90k offer at UVA. Either they will or they won't, but no harm trying.

roxj

Bronze

Post by roxj » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:06 pm

democrattotheend wrote:

Thoughts?
I'm guessing mentioning GW to Georgetown is a good idea, they must pull good students away every year.

I would strongly consider Gtown with an offer of 80 or more and I was offered 90 at BU, which I know isn't a peer school. However, I'd be happy taking a 30k scholly at T10 schools, and only an offer of this size from Gtown would really sway me. Should I be upfront and just say that?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”