Indiana University- Indianapolis 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jmhallah
Posts: 45
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:50 am

Re: Indiana University- Indianapolis 2010

Postby jmhallah » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:16 pm

Would you rather go to IU-B or IU-I?

Why did you choose to go to IU-I instead of IU-B?

Do you think IU-I has better job placement than IU-B overall?

chitown825
Posts: 339
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:45 pm

Re: Indiana University- Indianapolis 2010

Postby chitown825 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:25 pm

jmhallah wrote:Would you rather go to IU-B or IU-I?

Why did you choose to go to IU-I instead of IU-B?

Do you think IU-I has better job placement than IU-B overall?


1. I would rather live in Indianapolis than Bloomington
2. My spouse needed a job, and those are in Indianapolis. Indianapolis was more generous with scholarships. Indianapolis is better if you want to work in Indy, or if you want clinical experience.
3. Probably not, but you need to travel to get a job at IU-B. They send their kids out of Indiana for the most part. However, you'd better be toward the top of your class at IU-B, because the out-of-state firms won't take you with mediocre grades, and the regional jobs will have been filled by IU-I grads by then.

kittyfur
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: Indiana University- Indianapolis 2010

Postby kittyfur » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:05 am

Hey chitown825,

How were the classes your first year? Was the studying reasonable? Any crazy info that we need to know? Thanks for letting us ask you questions. I really appreciate it!

User avatar
sapp
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:33 pm

Re: Indiana University- Indianapolis 2010

Postby sapp » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:35 pm

Anyone else have their "In Review" date change 2+ times?

Mine has changed 3 times now, each time the new date was within 2 days to a week of the last date. Just seems kind of strange.

chitown825
Posts: 339
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:45 pm

Re: Indiana University- Indianapolis 2010

Postby chitown825 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:51 pm

kittyfur wrote:Hey chitown825,

How were the classes your first year? Was the studying reasonable? Any crazy info that we need to know? Thanks for letting us ask you questions. I really appreciate it!



Great teachers. Studying times will be the same everywhere.

My advice, which is transferable to any law school, is to focus on the exam from day one, and not to get caught up in the perceived need to look great in class. Your EXAM is 100% of your grade, and "looking great in class" is 0%.

kittyfur
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: Indiana University- Indianapolis 2010

Postby kittyfur » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:01 pm

Mine just changed dates as well. I was "in review" since Jan. 22, now it says "in review" with today's date. Does that mean something is happening? Something good hopefully :-)

Thanks Chitown! I'm looking forward to August!

chitown825
Posts: 339
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:45 pm

Re: Indiana University- Indianapolis 2010

Postby chitown825 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:28 pm

I'd say 156+ and 3.3+ you're good

User avatar
nick637
Posts: 246
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Indiana University- Indianapolis 2010

Postby nick637 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:30 pm

just went 'in review' 02/03/10

this is my TOP choice

chitown825
Posts: 339
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:45 pm

Re: Indiana University- Indianapolis 2010

Postby chitown825 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:43 pm

You guys want me to walk downstairs and see what's going on in the admissions office? :lol:

User avatar
sapp
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:33 pm

Re: Indiana University- Indianapolis 2010

Postby sapp » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:56 pm

chitown825 wrote:You guys want me to walk downstairs and see what's going on in the admissions office? :lol:



Only if you tell them how awesome we are when you do. :mrgreen:

kittyfur
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: Indiana University- Indianapolis 2010

Postby kittyfur » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:06 pm

Pretty, pretty please!!!

kittyfur
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: Indiana University- Indianapolis 2010

Postby kittyfur » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:39 pm

I went to decison letter sent status today and then got the acceptance email this afternoon. Yippy! No more waiting. Good luck to everyone else!

sleepygirl
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:03 pm

Re: Indiana University- Indianapolis 2010

Postby sleepygirl » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:32 am

Chitown, what do you know about scholarship matching at IU Indy? Any experience there?

chitown825
Posts: 339
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:45 pm

Re: Indiana University- Indianapolis 2010

Postby chitown825 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:48 am

sleepygirl wrote:Chitown, what do you know about scholarship matching at IU Indy? Any experience there?


I don't know about matching. They offered me more than anybody else, so there wasn't much to negotiate. Actually, after I accepted they raised my scholarship without me asking.

sleepygirl
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:03 pm

Re: Indiana University- Indianapolis 2010

Postby sleepygirl » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:10 am

chitown825 wrote:
sleepygirl wrote:Chitown, what do you know about scholarship matching at IU Indy? Any experience there?


I don't know about matching. They offered me more than anybody else, so there wasn't much to negotiate. Actually, after I accepted they raised my scholarship without me asking.


Can you PM me, please?

sleepygirl
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:03 pm

Re: Indiana University- Indianapolis 2010

Postby sleepygirl » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:45 am

Chitown, you have PMs disabled, but thanks anyway!

chitown825
Posts: 339
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:45 pm

Re: Indiana University- Indianapolis 2010

Postby chitown825 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:52 am

sleepygirl wrote:Chitown, you have PMs disabled, but thanks anyway!


try again

User avatar
sapp
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:33 pm

Re: Indiana University- Indianapolis 2010

Postby sapp » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:51 pm

chitown825 wrote:Residency:
Don't even try. If you're from Indiana, congrats. If not, don't come without a scholarship. I'm an Illinois resident on a 1/2 tuition scholarship.


Thanks for including this. I was actually flipping through the IU website trying to find this exact answer.

As an out of state resident do you plan to stay in Indiana or go back to Illinois? What do you think about all the hubub about it being difficult for IU-I students to secure employment outside of the immediate region? (I know that it will vary based on a student's connections/class rank etc - but if there is a general feeling I would be interested to know.)

Do you recall if they had an ASD? (If you're not sure I'm sure there will be an answer to this in the package when I receive it if there is one.)

Any heads-up/pointers on the housing situation? I received their email about the student housing fair, but it's a bit far to travel on such short notice to attend. Plus it seemed largely geared towards those that have never apartment-hunted before. Was it harder for you to find housing due to the distance when you were first looking? Did you stay in the area over summer or return home? Out where I am most of the apartment leases are for 1 year min which would make living somewhere else during the summer not the most sound financial choice. - any similarities to out there?

Thanks for all your help!

sleepygirl
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:03 pm

Re: Indiana University- Indianapolis 2010

Postby sleepygirl » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:58 pm

sapp wrote:
chitown825 wrote:Residency:
Don't even try. If you're from Indiana, congrats. If not, don't come without a scholarship. I'm an Illinois resident on a 1/2 tuition scholarship.


Thanks for including this. I was actually flipping through the IU website trying to find this exact answer.

As an out of state resident do you plan to stay in Indiana or go back to Illinois? What do you think about all the hubub about it being difficult for IU-I students to secure employment outside of the immediate region? (I know that it will vary based on a student's connections/class rank etc - but if there is a general feeling I would be interested to know.)

Do you recall if they had an ASD? (If you're not sure I'm sure there will be an answer to this in the package when I receive it if there is one.)

Any heads-up/pointers on the housing situation? I received their email about the student housing fair, but it's a bit far to travel on such short notice to attend. Plus it seemed largely geared towards those that have never apartment-hunted before. Was it harder for you to find housing due to the distance when you were first looking? Did you stay in the area over summer or return home? Out where I am most of the apartment leases are for 1 year min which would make living somewhere else during the summer not the most sound financial choice. - any similarities to out there?

Thanks for all your help!


I live in Indy, so I can at least help with part of your questions!

I haven't heard anything about an ASD yet. There are Tuesday open houses this month, but they sound informal. I'll let you know after I go next week.

Apartments are abundant in Indianapolis, and since it's not a "college town" like Bloomington, I've mostly seen 12 month leases. I imagine there are places that would do short-term leasing for a higher rent, but it's not the standard. If you want advice on specific places, feel free to PM me & I'll help out if I can.

kittyfur
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: Indiana University- Indianapolis 2010

Postby kittyfur » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:24 pm

I went to the open house last week and yes, it's very informal. Basically it's an hour of asking questions of current students. I think that would be a perfect time to ask about ASD and anything else you may want to know.

chitown825
Posts: 339
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:45 pm

Re: Indiana University- Indianapolis 2010

Postby chitown825 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:43 pm

There are some good apartments in downtown Indy. I don't know about the 9 month leases, though, because I stay here year round.

User avatar
sapp
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:33 pm

Re: Indiana University- Indianapolis 2010

Postby sapp » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:40 pm

sleepygirl wrote:I haven't heard anything about an ASD yet. There are Tuesday open houses this month, but they sound informal.


Received the email about the "special Spring Open House" it's on a Satuday. Guesses as to their standard open house or ASD by a different name?

It's far for me to travel and I work full time so my chances to see the school are limited, I want to make sure I go at the best time. :)

chitown825
Posts: 339
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:45 pm

Re: Indiana University- Indianapolis 2010

Postby chitown825 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:43 pm

You can improvise. As far as the building, you have nothing to be concerned about. It's only about 6 years old, and everything is top notch. Gorgeous classrooms, state of the art courtroom, and a beautiful library. It's at the very edge of the IUPUI campus, so you don't really have to deal with that university at all.

You can evaluate the rest in Google StreetView. We're at the intersection of West and New York in downtown Indianapolis. The area is excellent, safe, clean, new, etc.

BoilerUp
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:32 pm

Re: Indiana University- Indianapolis 2010

Postby BoilerUp » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:47 pm

I have been complete since 12/14 and still have not heard anything. I have to pay the first seat deposit to another school on April 1 and with IU-Indy being my first choice I am worried I will run out of time. Should I call? Could use some advice.

chitown825
Posts: 339
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:45 pm

Re: Indiana University- Indianapolis 2010

Postby chitown825 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:54 pm

BoilerUp wrote:I have been complete since 12/14 and still have not heard anything. I have to pay the first seat deposit to another school on April 1 and with IU-Indy being my first choice I am worried I will run out of time. Should I call? Could use some advice.


This is the time when schools do their deciding, and well, 4/1 is pretty damn far away. Of course you can always call, they don't know who you are.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ad34964n, christinaxcarrie, Google Adsense [Bot], jer0689, laurlaur2112, lawschoolapp1987, smashbash, Thomas Hagan, ESQ., tinafeyclone and 40 guests