Indiana University- Indianapolis 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
boilers10
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:39 pm

Re: Indiana University- Indianapolis 2010

Postby boilers10 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:56 am

In other news.....Carlos Mencia is in Broad Ripple the Friday before classes begin.

WaitlistLouise
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:24 pm

Re: Indiana University- Indianapolis 2010

Postby WaitlistLouise » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:44 am

czelede wrote:
Fark-o-vision wrote:
That sounds like the defense of a super duper racist person. I think it was the quotes around shadier, as well as the "if you catch my drift". What the hell kind of drift was there to catch, if your comments are on the up and up?


Does the fact that I'm bothering to explain how I didn't mean what you thought just going to serve as "evidence" for you that apparently I really actually did mean it? What kind of defense against your allegations WOULDN'T make me seem the person you clearly have made up your mind about me being?

I was baffled that you could have drawn such a conclusion that I really had no intention of implying. With what you've said above, however, I am starting to understand how my words could have possibly been misconstrued, but I REALLY think you are reading way too much into this. I put quotes around the word "shady" because I don't think its a proper or professional descriptor for people, period. It's the kind of word you use with your girlfriends to describe a creepy guy that keeps groping you at a party. In this context it encompassed a lot of things (such as, like I stated in my previous post, being loud, drunk, abrasive, threatening, destructive). But the drunk ones aren't always criminals and the criminals aren't always drunk, so what else could I have said? I couldn't find a better word to sum up those qualities so I used the next best thing - a conversational descriptor that I put in quotes to signify that it was not a proper descriptor. The "if you catch my drift" is referring to the fact that neighborhoods within bad neighborhoods can be safe because the perpetrators of crime tend to keep themselves within invisible perimeters - that was the conclusion of the sentences prior that I didn't feel like spelling out with another sentence, and instead implied with a "if you get what I mean" type expression. There was NO FURTHER MEANING to it except to say "do you get what I'm saying?"
Wow… Nothing you can say will sway this person’s opinion. Unfortunately, some people do not wish to really hear the other person’s argument. Some prefer to insight a more chaotic communication by not considering the other’s point of view and sticking to an idea that obviously does not have any basis without skewing the other person’s evidence to make an issue out of a moot point. Indeed, I believe the Fall Class has just found a fellow classmate that will argue to agitate.
Any word of movement on the waitlist?

colts18
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:12 pm

Re: Indiana University- Indianapolis 2010

Postby colts18 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:45 pm

n/m
Last edited by colts18 on Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KJ5490
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:48 pm

Re: Indiana University- Indianapolis 2010

Postby KJ5490 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:18 pm

Not to be a negative nancy or anything (and maybe that phrase will offend someone) but I'd prefer not to read any more racially motivated arguments on this board. I think this discussion board is a good tool for us to share valuable and useful information and for chatting about what's coming up in the fall. It is not a tool for debating the issue of implied racism. If debating these things is fun for you, hey that's cool, maybe you should start a topic on it on a different thread or utilize the PM feature with other people who are interested in similar subjects.

User avatar
boilers10
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:39 pm

Re: Indiana University- Indianapolis 2010

Postby boilers10 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:22 pm

KJ5490 wrote:Not to be a negative nancy or anything (and maybe that phrase will offend someone) but I'd prefer not to read any more racially motivated arguments on this board. I think this discussion board is a good tool for us to share valuable and useful information and for chatting about what's coming up in the fall. It is not a tool for debating the issue of implied racism. If debating these things is fun for you, hey that's cool, maybe you should start a topic on it on a different thread or utilize the PM feature with other people who are interested in similar subjects.



+1

User avatar
ChinaBowls
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:33 am

Re: Indiana University- Indianapolis 2010

Postby ChinaBowls » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:24 pm

I'm a black chick, and I would tell a new Indy resident to stay away from 38th street. Nothing to do with race...

lsathelp
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:38 pm

Re: Indiana University- Indianapolis 2010

Postby lsathelp » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:25 pm

boilers10 wrote:
KJ5490 wrote:Not to be a negative nancy or anything (and maybe that phrase will offend someone) but I'd prefer not to read any more racially motivated arguments on this board. I think this discussion board is a good tool for us to share valuable and useful information and for chatting about what's coming up in the fall. It is not a tool for debating the issue of implied racism. If debating these things is fun for you, hey that's cool, maybe you should start a topic on it on a different thread or utilize the PM feature with other people who are interested in similar subjects.



+1


Credited
+10000000000000.

kittyfur
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: Indiana University- Indianapolis 2010

Postby kittyfur » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:28 pm

Can you say tangent? This was such a pleasant forum. Come on people we are about to spend the next 3/4 years together. Can't we all get along?

Fark-o-vision
Posts: 590
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:41 pm

Re: Indiana University- Indianapolis 2010

Postby Fark-o-vision » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:37 pm

WaitlistLouise wrote:
czelede wrote:
Fark-o-vision wrote:
That sounds like the defense of a super duper racist person. I think it was the quotes around shadier, as well as the "if you catch my drift". What the hell kind of drift was there to catch, if your comments are on the up and up?


Does the fact that I'm bothering to explain how I didn't mean what you thought just going to serve as "evidence" for you that apparently I really actually did mean it? What kind of defense against your allegations WOULDN'T make me seem the person you clearly have made up your mind about me being?

I was baffled that you could have drawn such a conclusion that I really had no intention of implying. With what you've said above, however, I am starting to understand how my words could have possibly been misconstrued, but I REALLY think you are reading way too much into this. I put quotes around the word "shady" because I don't think its a proper or professional descriptor for people, period. It's the kind of word you use with your girlfriends to describe a creepy guy that keeps groping you at a party. In this context it encompassed a lot of things (such as, like I stated in my previous post, being loud, drunk, abrasive, threatening, destructive). But the drunk ones aren't always criminals and the criminals aren't always drunk, so what else could I have said? I couldn't find a better word to sum up those qualities so I used the next best thing - a conversational descriptor that I put in quotes to signify that it was not a proper descriptor. The "if you catch my drift" is referring to the fact that neighborhoods within bad neighborhoods can be safe because the perpetrators of crime tend to keep themselves within invisible perimeters - that was the conclusion of the sentences prior that I didn't feel like spelling out with another sentence, and instead implied with a "if you get what I mean" type expression. There was NO FURTHER MEANING to it except to say "do you get what I'm saying?"
Wow… Nothing you can say will sway this person’s opinion. Unfortunately, some people do not wish to really hear the other person’s argument. Some prefer to insight a more chaotic communication by not considering the other’s point of view and sticking to an idea that obviously does not have any basis without skewing the other person’s evidence to make an issue out of a moot point. Indeed, I believe the Fall Class has just found a fellow classmate that will argue to agitate.
Any word of movement on the waitlist?


For clarity, I wasn't saying I didn't buy what he said. I believe he didn't mean it that way and I would offer that I wasn't even necessarily interpreting it that way. I love Indianapolis, it's one of my favorite towns, but it is weird. It's a friendly place and definitely not the most overtly racist place I've ever been. I will say that, if you talk to locals and such outside of the University, you'll hear little comments very similar to that one which do insinuate racial prejudice. People rarely came out and said things, but the meaning carried through.

I suppose I was being a bit confrontational, so I'm sorry. Didn't mean to completely derail a cordial thread about a city and a school that are pretty great in a lot of ways. just bear in mind that this is an attitude a lot of the city seems to hold and that comments like the one I referred to will often be interpreted in that way. If you don't believe me, just bring up Whitestown and Brownsville to a grocery store clerk and see what you glean.

Sorry guy, didn't mean to put you on the defensive.

User avatar
boilers10
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:39 pm

Re: Indiana University- Indianapolis 2010

Postby boilers10 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:43 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Fark-o-vision
Posts: 590
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:41 pm

Re: Indiana University- Indianapolis 2010

Postby Fark-o-vision » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:44 pm

boilers10 wrote:--ImageRemoved--


quoted for brevity. Also, I'll share my pogs.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”