Indiana University- Indianapolis 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
anti-hero09

Re: Indiana University- Indianapolis 2010

Postby anti-hero09 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:37 pm

I called the admissions office and was told that the wait list is not ranked and that it is based on whether or not people pay their deposits, and extra spots open up. I was told to call back in middle of May and beginning of June. This is ridiculous tho! My seat deposits for other schools are due soon! I already paid $200 for one back in March! So its not looking good for IU-indy unless they call me asap and offer me a decent scholarship. Also for those of you that are out of state, I asked about how difficult it is to gain instate residency while at the school and they said it is practically impossible, which is another downer...

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:58 pm

I got in yesterday - its been almost 5 months since going complete, 6 or so months since putting in my app, and I just got accepted. They sure took their sweet time.

BruceBarr

Postby BruceBarr » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:52 pm

anti-hero09 wrote:I called the admissions office and was told that the wait list is not ranked and that it is based on whether or not people pay their deposits, and extra spots open up. I was told to call back in middle of May and beginning of June. This is ridiculous tho! My seat deposits for other schools are due soon! I already paid $200 for one back in March! So its not looking good for IU-indy unless they call me asap and offer me a decent scholarship. Also for those of you that are out of state, I asked about how difficult it is to gain instate residency while at the school and they said it is practically impossible, which is another downer...

Yea, ummm... you're waitlisted. IF you get off, you're not getting a scholarship.

BruceBarr

Postby BruceBarr » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:01 pm

futurelawyer413 wrote:Also, does waitlist mean:
1) We are waiting for people to pay their deposits, and those who don't pay one/both after the due date, we'll holla @ u immediately, or
2) Our Fall 2010 class is full for now. The moment anybody withdraws, we'll holla @ u

You're pretty much waiting for people to withdraw here right now. Then, in June, a couple of spots will open up when people don't pay for their second round of deposits. Those spots will be offered to a select few, then you'll wait and hope those people don't accept. Whatever spots are left (which won't be a ton I'm guessing) will be offered out again. From what's left of those unaccepted spots, the process will repeat. This goes until the class is filled up.

So, by the way things look via this cycle and because of the fact that they are still accepting people that were never WL'd to begin with, I doubt there are going to be a lot of openings on the WL. If you're numbers are between the 25th and 50th percentile, I would bet you have an okay chance. Everyone who doesn't have those numbers probably doesn't have a chance at admission.

anti-hero09

Postby anti-hero09 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:03 pm

BruceBarr wrote:
anti-hero09 wrote:I called the admissions office and was told that the wait list is not ranked and that it is based on whether or not people pay their deposits, and extra spots open up. I was told to call back in middle of May and beginning of June. This is ridiculous tho! My seat deposits for other schools are due soon! I already paid $200 for one back in March! So its not looking good for IU-indy unless they call me asap and offer me a decent scholarship. Also for those of you that are out of state, I asked about how difficult it is to gain instate residency while at the school and they said it is practically impossible, which is another downer...

Yea, ummm... you're waitlisted. IF you get off, you're not getting a scholarship.

Well this is when I tell IU-Indy to go to hell, I am not going to pay $38K a year on tuition! Plus I do not want to be associated with any school that promotes Dan Quayle as their alumni!

BruceBarr

Postby BruceBarr » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:21 pm

anti-hero09 wrote:Well this is when I tell IU-Indy to go to hell, I am not going to pay $38K a year on tuition! Plus I do not want to be associated with any school that promotes Dan Quayle as their alumni!

I'm sure IU will be missing a real winner with you.

Edit: But I hear Cooley is still accepting applicaitons for the upcoming year... so... uhhh... capitalize before it's too late.

futurelawyer413

Postby futurelawyer413 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:13 pm

Thanks for this info, that in-state thing is crazy! I think there's a place on the East Coast, maybe UCon??, where you can get in-state if you are a resident of select Northeastern states like CT, MA, NH or something. At least after 1 year, they give it to you!

BruceBarr wrote:
futurelawyer413 wrote:Also, does waitlist mean:
1) We are waiting for people to pay their deposits, and those who don't pay one/both after the due date, we'll holla @ u immediately, or
2) Our Fall 2010 class is full for now. The moment anybody withdraws, we'll holla @ u

You're pretty much waiting for people to withdraw here right now. Then, in June, a couple of spots will open up when people don't pay for their second round of deposits. Those spots will be offered to a select few, then you'll wait and hope those people don't accept. Whatever spots are left (which won't be a ton I'm guessing) will be offered out again. From what's left of those unaccepted spots, the process will repeat. This goes until the class is filled up.

So, by the way things look via this cycle and because of the fact that they are still accepting people that were never WL'd to begin with, I doubt there are going to be a lot of openings on the WL. If you're numbers are between the 25th and 50th percentile, I would bet you have an okay chance. Everyone who doesn't have those numbers probably doesn't have a chance at admission.

This answer helps a lot, thank you! Any ideas on this summer program?

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:58 pm

BruceBarr wrote:
anti-hero09 wrote:Well this is when I tell IU-Indy to go to hell, I am not going to pay $38K a year on tuition! Plus I do not want to be associated with any school that promotes Dan Quayle as their alumni!

I'm sure IU will be missing a real winner with you.

Edit: But I hear Cooley is still accepting applicaitons for the upcoming year... so... uhhh... capitalize before it's too late.

I have to say Bruce that I'm with the anti-hero on this one - I raised my eyebrows too when I saw that Dan Quayle being a graduate of the school was a selling point for them. Especially considering this is his most famous moment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRCWbFFR ... re=related

anti-hero09

Postby anti-hero09 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:18 am

Lol on the video! and I am going to ignore the low blow by mr.brucebarr...I am thankful and fortunate to have the options and opportunities to choose from the law schools that I have been admitted too, but thank you for your insightful and helpful comments.

colts18

Postby colts18 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:55 pm

Regardless of whether you like Quayle or not, having a former Vice-President as an alum is always something nice to hang your hat on.

But while we're on the topic of posting funny Quayle clips.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdqbi66oNuI

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:47 pm

colts18 wrote:Regardless of whether you like Quayle or not, having a former Vice-President as an alum is always something nice to hang your hat on.

I doubt that the University of Baltimore School of Law is particularly proud of or vocal about the fact that disgraced Nixon Administration Vice President Spirow Agnew, who was forced to resign from office because of allegations of tax evasion and subsequently disbarred, calls the school his alma mater. However, I do see your point that having a VP as an alum, even if they are a bit of a doofus like Quayle, gives an institution a certain amount of bragging rights.

nick637

Postby nick637 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:16 pm

Just got an email that lowered my stips on my scholly to needing a 3.1 when it was 3.3.

colts18

Postby colts18 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:22 pm

Yeah, mine is 3.1 too

boilers10

Postby boilers10 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:04 pm

They only lowered mine to a 3.2 (from a 3.4)....what is going on???

futurelawyer413

Postby futurelawyer413 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:05 pm

nick637 wrote:Just got an email that lowered my stips on my scholly to needing a 3.1 when it was 3.3.

From your earlier posts on this thread, I thought you withdrew?

nick637

Postby nick637 » Sat May 01, 2010 2:18 am

futurelawyer413 wrote:
nick637 wrote:Just got an email that lowered my stips on my scholly to needing a 3.1 when it was 3.3.

From your earlier posts on this thread, I thought you withdrew?

that was before I read that the first deposit was refundable.

BruceBarr

Postby BruceBarr » Sat May 01, 2010 3:12 pm

scionb4 wrote:
colts18 wrote:Regardless of whether you like Quayle or not, having a former Vice-President as an alum is always something nice to hang your hat on.

I doubt that the University of Baltimore School of Law is particularly proud of or vocal about the fact that disgraced Nixon Administration Vice President Spirow Agnew, who was forced to resign from office because of allegations of tax evasion and subsequently disbarred, calls the school his alma mater. However, I do see your point that having a VP as an alum, even if they are a bit of a doofus like Quayle, gives an institution a certain amount of bragging rights.

First of all... regardless of what he did, having a VP graduate from your law school makes your school look good. End of discussion.

boilers10 wrote:They only lowered mine to a 3.2 (from a 3.4)....what is going on???

It should be a 3.1 stipend. Here is the e-mail from Amanda Gallaga:

Hello!

It recently came to our attention that some merit award recipients had an incorrect GPA requirement stated on their award letters. Just to clarify, incoming students receiving either Resident Merit Awards or Non Resident Merit Awards need to maintain a cumulative law school grade point average of 3.100 (as well as any other criteria outlined in your award letter) to renew your award for your second and third years at IU School of Law-Indianapolis. You will be reviewed for renewal at the end of your first academic year, and thereafter at the end of each semester.

We apologize for any inconvenience or confusion this error has caused. Please contatct me if you have any questions regarding merit awards.

Amanda Gallaga
Admissions Advisor and Recruitment Coordinator

sleepygirl

Postby sleepygirl » Mon May 03, 2010 7:07 am

BruceBarr wrote:

It should be a 3.1 stipend. Here is the e-mail from Amanda Gallaga:

Hello!

It recently came to our attention that some merit award recipients had an incorrect GPA requirement stated on their award letters. Just to clarify, incoming students receiving either Resident Merit Awards or Non Resident Merit Awards need to maintain a cumulative law school grade point average of 3.100 (as well as any other criteria outlined in your award letter) to renew your award for your second and third years at IU School of Law-Indianapolis. You will be reviewed for renewal at the end of your first academic year, and thereafter at the end of each semester.

We apologize for any inconvenience or confusion this error has caused. Please contatct me if you have any questions regarding merit awards.

Amanda Gallaga
Admissions Advisor and Recruitment Coordinator

Those getting "Resident (or Non Resident) Excellence Awards" need to maintain a 3.2... so it looks like it depends on which scholarship you're receiving.

colts18

Postby colts18 » Mon May 03, 2010 9:48 am

Looks like IUI has had 5 SCOTUS Justices visit over the past decade.

Anthony Kennedy dedicated the new building in 2001. Sandra Day O'Connor visited in 02. Both Samuel Alito and Ruth Bader Ginsberg spoke in 07, and of course, Chief Justice Roberts visited just a month or so ago.

http://www.iupui.edu/spirit/visitors/

Very cool.

sunshinefairy

Postby sunshinefairy » Tue May 04, 2010 1:50 pm

Accepted but will be withdrawing to attend Northeastern. Best of luck to all!

kittyfur

Postby kittyfur » Fri May 07, 2010 2:25 pm

Has anyone heard anything about scholarships lately? Is it sad I'm still holding my breath? I don't think they give out a ton to part-time in-state students. Or at least that's what I'm telling myself!

colts18

Postby colts18 » Fri May 07, 2010 5:19 pm

kittyfur wrote:Has anyone heard anything about scholarships lately? Is it sad I'm still holding my breath? I don't think they give out a ton to part-time in-state students. Or at least that's what I'm telling myself!

I was first notified about my scholarship a week ago today.

kittyfur

Postby kittyfur » Mon May 10, 2010 10:37 am

colts18 wrote:
kittyfur wrote:Has anyone heard anything about scholarships lately? Is it sad I'm still holding my breath? I don't think they give out a ton to part-time in-state students. Or at least that's what I'm telling myself!

I was first notified about my scholarship a week ago today.

Great, thanks! Are you going full or part time?

colts18

Postby colts18 » Mon May 10, 2010 3:43 pm

Full-time.

Jetsetter

Postby Jetsetter » Tue May 11, 2010 2:42 am

I'll be withdrawing my acceptance hope it helps someone out.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”