Indiana University- Indianapolis 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lala222

Re: Indiana University- Indianapolis 2010

Postby lala222 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:49 am

chitown825 wrote:IU-Indianapolis 1L taking questions

What are your opinions on going IUI as an out of state student, who wants to get a job outside of Indiana after graduation?

lala222

Postby lala222 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:50 am

nick637 wrote:
AsylumPB wrote:Don't they email their decisions as well?

they emailed my decision

Emailed mine too on Jan 21st.

jellopuddingpops

Postby jellopuddingpops » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:06 am

chitown825 wrote:IU-Indianapolis 1L taking questions

How much do you know about the health law program at IU-Indianapolis? Specifics would be great

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:11 am

Threepeat wrote:
nick637 wrote:
Threepeat wrote:
nick637 wrote:just got this scholarship email saying that they are waiting until april to inform students of scholarships. Makes me kind of mad

Just received this email as well. I found it humorous considering the first seat deposit is due on April 1st. I mean...really??? Tell me how that one makes sense. Oh well, I will most likely just withdraw if I don't hear anything by April 1st.

I just sent them an email about this. I agree completely, I can see of no other reason to wait to award scholarships other than getting extra $$ from seat deposits that are due before scholarships are sent out. This is surprising and I'm hoping to hear back from them soon.

Yea whether that is there intention or not, it isn't right. I feel bad for that applicants who wouldn't be able to make IU-I a possibility without knowing the $$, and then fork over the $150 for the first deposit only to find out they won't be receiving any merit aid. That just doesn't seem right to me.

In the acceptance packet, it says that as long as you submit your withdrawal before May 1, the $150 first seat deposit is refundable. So, assuming you do actually find out in April, it's relatively low risk.

tweettweet

Postby tweettweet » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:54 am

Not a word....been since 12/2...getting frustrated. I have been excpeted to DePaul, Marquette, and St Louis. But IU-I is my 1st choice since it is an in-state school for me.

colts18

Postby colts18 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:38 pm

Question for those who have been accepted: Will the status checker change from "File Complete" to something like "In-Review" before you are given the decision, or was it still on "File Complete" when they mailed it?

To those who are frustrated with the long process: What are your numbers out of curiousity? My guess is that they have a log jam of people with pretty similar statistics and were waiting on all of the applications to come in before they made decisions on people they view as being "on the fence". I think the turnover rate has a lot to do with stats. My roommate applied in late January and heard in mid February, but he had a 163 LSAT and a close to perfect GPA, so he was basically an automatic in. That's why it took practically no time for him to receive his decision. Now if you have apparent "shoe-in" numbers and have been waiting for months then that does suck and I feel bad for you.

sleepygirl

Postby sleepygirl » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:52 pm

colts18 wrote:Question for those who have been accepted: Will the status checker change from "File Complete" to something like "In-Review" before you are given the decision, or was it still on "File Complete" when they mailed it?

To those who are frustrated with the long process: What are your numbers out of curiousity? My guess is that they have a log jam of people with pretty similar statistics and were waiting on all of the applications to come in before they made decisions on people they view as being "on the fence". I think the turnover rate has a lot to do with stats. My roommate applied in late January and heard in mid February, but he had a 163 LSAT and a close to perfect GPA, so he was basically an automatic in. That's why it took practically no time for him to receive his decision. Now if you have apparent "shoe-in" numbers and have been waiting for months then that does suck and I feel bad for you.

My status changed to something like "decision letter mailed" ...I can't quite remember. The email came a week later (I got a phone call, too), because the admissions Director was out of the office.

sunshinefairy

Postby sunshinefairy » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:03 pm

sleepygirl wrote:
colts18 wrote:Question for those who have been accepted: Will the status checker change from "File Complete" to something like "In-Review" before you are given the decision, or was it still on "File Complete" when they mailed it?

My status changed to something like "decision letter mailed" ...I can't quite remember. The email came a week later (I got a phone call, too), because the admissions Director was out of the office.

153/3.81 - figured I would at least be okay for PT. IUPUI is my top choice so I'm staying positive and hopeful!

sleepygirl

Postby sleepygirl » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:30 pm

sunshinefairy wrote:
153/3.81 - figured I would at least be okay for PT. IUPUI is my top choice so I'm staying positive and hopeful!

It's not the IUPUI law school. Indiana University School of Law- Indianapolis is located on the IUPUI campus, but IUPUI is a different school. Sort of complicated, but still an important distinction.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:02 pm

sleepygirl wrote:
sunshinefairy wrote:

It's not the IUPUI law school. Indiana University School of Law- Indianapolis is located on the IUPUI campus, but IUPUI is a different school. Sort of complicated, but still an important distinction.

On my acceptance letter, the letterhead is as follows "Indiana University School of Law - Indianapolis" and then under that "IUPUI"

kittyfur

Postby kittyfur » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:06 pm

Yes, it went from complete, to in-review, to decision mailed. I received an email the same day as the status change with my acceptance, and the letter a week later.

sunshinefairy

Postby sunshinefairy » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:10 pm

sleepygirl wrote:
sunshinefairy wrote:

No way? Really? I had no idea. (sarcasm).

sunshinefairy

Postby sunshinefairy » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:19 pm

sunshinefairy wrote:
sleepygirl wrote:
sunshinefairy wrote:

Sorry that wasn't meant to sound bitchy, just playing =) IUPUI, IU-Indy - point is ya'll know what I'm talking about

sleepygirl

Postby sleepygirl » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:35 pm

sunshinefairy wrote:
sunshinefairy wrote:
sleepygirl wrote:
sunshinefairy wrote:

Sorry that wasn't meant to sound bitchy, just playing =) IUPUI, IU-Indy - point is ya'll know what I'm talking about

I wasn't trying to be bitchy, either. I just know that saying IUPUI to an admissions committee member or professor would be really off-putting, so I hope you didn't tell them that IUPUI was your top choice :wink:

tweettweet

Postby tweettweet » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:55 pm

My stats are.....161 with a 3.65 gpa. I applied to the part-time and full-time. I am assuming that has something to do with the wait or maybe they are truly bogged down on apps. I did get an email from IU-B stating that they are behind on reviewing apps.

colts18

Postby colts18 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:11 pm

tweettweet wrote:My stats are.....161 with a 3.65 gpa. I applied to the part-time and full-time. I am assuming that has something to do with the wait or maybe they are truly bogged down on apps. I did get an email from IU-B stating that they are behind on reviewing apps.

Wow, no wonder you are frustrated. I'm shocked that you have been waiting this long with those impressive stats. You're over the 75 LSAT percentile and are close to 75 on the GPA. You should be an easy in. That certainly makes me nervous as someone with a 160/3.2.

Good luck, hope you hear soon. You deserve to.

colts18

Postby colts18 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:14 pm

sunshinefairy wrote:
sleepygirl wrote:

Those numbers should make you safe for PT and give you a solid chance at FT. My guess is your hold up is on whether you will be admitted into FT or not. Good luck, hope it works out for you.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:42 am

I have an appointment tomorrow to visit and meet admissions. Any questions you guys have that I can ask for you?

roguey

Postby roguey » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:41 am

Bedsole wrote:I have an appointment tomorrow to visit and meet admissions. Any questions you guys have that I can ask for you?

Would you mind asking them about the second round of scholarship determinations? I'm mostly wondering when they will send out the next wave of scholarship letters. Also, would you mind asking if there are any budget cuts planned, and what (if any) impact the current economic situation has had on the school? Thank you!!!

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:00 pm

I asked about scholarships, and they said that they aren't done issuing them. She didn't give me a specific date, but said that they basically hand out any money they have as they get it. I don't know for sure if they'll come out all at once, but they seem mindful of upcoming deadlines. It seems to me like they are doing what they can.
I'll post the info from the whole visit when I can get to a computer, as making a long post on my iPod is slow.

jellopuddingpops

Postby jellopuddingpops » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:35 pm

Bedsole wrote:I asked about scholarships, and they said that they aren't done issuing them. She didn't give me a specific date, but said that they basically hand out any money they have as they get it. I don't know for sure if they'll come out all at once, but they seem mindful of upcoming deadlines. It seems to me like they are doing what they can.
I'll post the info from the whole visit when I can get to a computer, as making a long post on my iPod is slow.

cool thank you for asking and letting us know. It is extremely helpful

sunshinefairy

Postby sunshinefairy » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:29 pm

jellopuddingpops wrote:
Bedsole wrote:I asked about scholarships, and they said that they aren't done issuing them. She didn't give me a specific date, but said that they basically hand out any money they have as they get it. I don't know for sure if they'll come out all at once, but they seem mindful of upcoming deadlines. It seems to me like they are doing what they can.

cool thank you for asking and letting us know. It is extremely helpful

Great news! Thank you for your insight.

tweettweet

Postby tweettweet » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:46 pm

Good info. Hope your trip was enjoyable. I have not heard anything as of today. They have until March 25th before I decide where I want to attend law school.

sizzle04

Postby sizzle04 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:19 pm

my status just changed to Decision Letter Sent today but I have not received an email =(
My deposit amounts and due dates have populated though..... did any waitlisted people get this??? :shock:

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:59 pm

Alright, now that I am back in good ol' Raleigh, NC from Indy, I can sit down and actually report in on my trip.

First things first:
Having never visited Indianapolis, I was not impressed with the city as a whole. This may be a personal preference thing. If you've never been, I suggest you go before you make a decision, just to make sure that you like it. I rented a car and drove around the city, and kept expecting to find a nice part of town. If there is one, I didn't find it. Don't get me wrong, there were some isolated neighborhoods that might not be too bad, but they were mixed in with some questionable areas. Again, I've never been there before, maybe I just didn't know where to look.

Having said that:
I really liked what I saw at the actual law school itself. I met with Patricia Kinney, the director of admissions, and I found her to be very kind, accommodating, and straightforward. She actually sat down with me for about 45 minutes and answered every question that I had (and I had quite a few) as best she could. She also made sure to let me know that I was more than welcome to get in touch with her if I came up with any more questions. I'll list the general questions/categories for you, and you guys can ask for specific answers if you want, if for no other reason, so that I can try to keep this post under 3 pages.

-Section sizes?
-Student organizations?
-Use of the Socratic method?
-Possibility of 1L and 2L summer clerkships/internships and/or study abroad opportunities?
-Career Prospects? (i.e. biglaw, midlaw, public interest, etc.) and portability of the degree
-Standard of living in Indy, residence areas, possibility of in-state tuition?
-Intellectual property/patent law programs? (since this is my area of interest)
-When/how scholarship decisions are made (which you can find in the above post)

I may be missing a few questions or categories, but those are the ones I had written down from the meeting.

As for the facilities, I found them to be quite nice. They had a tour guide take me through every part of the building. The building itself is less than 10 years old, and they maintain it well. The law library has something like 600,000 books (as we know, the books themselves aren't the most important part of the library), but that should give you a general idea of the size of the library. There are loads of places to study throughout all 3 floors of the library, and it has all the amenities one would expect, including computer labs.

I found the classrooms to be nice, and they were well equipped and wired so that you could plug in a laptop at almost every seat. The largest classroom even had the seats mic'd up so that the professor could still interact with the students. The mock courtroom was nice as well.

All in all, the trip was a mixed bag. Didn't like the city, did like the school. My one complaint about the staff would be that they scheduled me to sit in on a class, but they didn't realize that it was spring break when they scheduled it, so I didn't get that opportunity.

Anyway, hope this information is of some use. If you want any more info, or some specific answers, just let me know, I check this board all the time.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”