U Penn 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
panadera

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby panadera » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:28 pm

parker09 wrote:10/28... I win!

...by which I mean, I lose horribly.

(not ED though, so probably not unexpected...)

10/26. So I lose harder? Also not ED. And Penn is a mega mega reach.

parker09

Postby parker09 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:36 pm

kpd-m wrote:

for me, too.

sorry about the losing comment :oops:
I'm just not very optimistic about my chances.

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:37 pm

I wonder if visiting would convince Penn to love me. I could visit, you know. I could visit so much.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:38 pm

puppins wrote:I wonder if visiting would convince Penn to love me. I could visit, you know. I could visit so much.

I visited. No love received.

panadera

Postby panadera » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:39 pm

parker09 wrote:
kpd-m wrote:

for me, too.

sorry about the losing comment :oops:
I'm just not very optimistic about my chances.

Haha, I didn't take the losing comment badly. No worries.
I'm not optimistic about my chances either, but it was worth the money to not have a "what if I could have gotten in?" when I'm 80. Better to know for sure than regret never taking the chance.

uganik

Postby uganik » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:45 pm

UR 10/26

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:48 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
puppins wrote:I wonder if visiting would convince Penn to love me. I could visit, you know. I could visit so much.

Did you try the whole, holding a boom box over your head outside of the office of the adcom? because that was my plan...

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:49 pm

puppins wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:

Did you try the whole, holding a boom box over your head outside of the office of the adcom? because that was my plan...

Yes, I was blasting Cheap Trick too.

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:06 pm

Hey guys, finally getting around to Penn :? damn being too lazy to pump out another essay. I have a question for everyone who submitted with the 5 year plan essay. Was it a lot like a why Penn? or did you go into detail about your actual 5 year plan. I wrote that I'm interested in international law and how Penn is good for that. Would that be answering the question?

Thanks all...sorry if my post isn't well written I'm all jumbled right now.

Appreciate answers I wanna send it off today

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:19 pm

Oli wrote:Hey guys, finally getting around to Penn :? damn being too lazy to pump out another essay. I have a question for everyone who submitted with the 5 year plan essay. Was it a lot like a why Penn? or did you go into detail about your actual 5 year plan. I wrote that I'm interested in international law and how Penn is good for that. Would that be answering the question?

I didn't do a 5 year plan essay, but I don't think the premise is supposed to be just a Why Penn? I think what they really want to hear is that you have some idea of what you're getting into and what you want out of a legal education. Flattering Penn in the process can't hurt though.

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:20 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
puppins wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:

Yes, I was blasting Cheap Trick too.

damn it. there goes my plan.

The Kim Jong illest

Postby The Kim Jong illest » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:37 pm

Oli wrote:Hey guys, finally getting around to Penn :? damn being too lazy to pump out another essay. I have a question for everyone who submitted with the 5 year plan essay. Was it a lot like a why Penn? or did you go into detail about your actual 5 year plan. I wrote that I'm interested in international law and how Penn is good for that. Would that be answering the question?

Mine was similar to Why Penn? It started off with me being able to be comfortable and confident at Penn (thus producing future success etc etc). I went into how I haven't chosen a field and Penn provides flexibility. I didn't really go into my future THAT much, as it seemed like it would just be disingenuous.

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:45 pm

The Kim Jong illest wrote:

Mine was similar to Why Penn? It started off with me being able to be comfortable and confident at Penn (thus producing future success etc etc). I went into how I haven't chosen a field and Penn provides flexibility. I didn't really go into my future THAT much, as it seemed like it would just be disingenuous.

I don't think it's a problem being naive if it also gives them insight into your aspirations and motivations. I tend to see most of these app essays (with the exception of explicit interest ones) as "How will you being a student positively impact our school?" rather than "What about our school makes you want to come here?". I've heard this question countless times in job interviews, so that's how I took it. Employers usually want to hear your professional goals and it's your job to grease it up a bit to suit them too. Iuno what Penn really wants out of it, though.

It's also the question I hate the most BECAUSE you basically have to exaggerate or lie, that's why I didn't answer it.

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:02 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:

I don't think it's a problem being naive if it also gives them insight into your aspirations and motivations. I tend to see most of these app essays (with the exception of explicit interest ones) as "How will you being a student positively impact our school?" rather than "What about our school makes you want to come here?". I've heard this question countless times in job interviews, so that's how I took it. Employers usually want to hear your professional goals and it's your job to grease it up a bit to suit them too. Iuno what Penn really wants out of it, though.

It's also the question I hate the most BECAUSE you basically have to exaggerate or lie, that's why I didn't answer it.

haha thanks guys I think Ive got something going. I do go into what I wanna do a bit

Burberry by Burberry

Postby Burberry by Burberry » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:09 pm

I am still at "File Complete" and I'm ED. Should I call Penn tomorrow if my status doesn't change tonight?

texasgirl22

Postby texasgirl22 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:17 pm

Burberry by Burberry wrote:I am still at "File Complete" and I'm ED. Should I call Penn tomorrow if my status doesn't change tonight?

maybe...that's really weird, i submitted last minute and immediately went UR. did your app very recently go complete?

Burberry by Burberry

Postby Burberry by Burberry » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:46 pm

texasgirl22 wrote:
Burberry by Burberry wrote:I am still at "File Complete" and I'm ED. Should I call Penn tomorrow if my status doesn't change tonight?

maybe...that's really weird, i submitted last minute and immediately went UR. did your app very recently go complete?

I've been complete since mid-November.

I think I'll go ahead and call Penn tomorrow. I don't want them to forget my application.

bowie8285

Postby bowie8285 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Burberry by Burberry wrote:
texasgirl22 wrote:

I think I'll go ahead and call Penn tomorrow. I don't want them to forget my application.

oh that's not too strange then, it usually takes 2 weeks to go UR

Burberry by Burberry

Postby Burberry by Burberry » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:53 pm

bowie8285 wrote:
Burberry by Burberry wrote:
texasgirl22 wrote:

oh that's not too strange then, it usually takes 2 weeks to go UR

Even for ED? I would think they would put my application under review ASAP... :?

EDIT: I guess I have Thanksgiving to blame for the delay.

texasgirl22

Postby texasgirl22 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:35 am

mine went complete 11/17, UR 11/18

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:47 am

Mine went UR like a day after it went complete too, so..

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:54 am

How long do apps normally take to go complete? I submitted 2 weeks ago and it still shows app received :( Penn hates me.

bowie8285

Postby bowie8285 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:00 pm

since nothing happened 11/26.....next DR dates for penn from last cycle were 12/10-12....meaning next friday :(

The Kim Jong illest

Postby The Kim Jong illest » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:01 pm

bowie8285 wrote:since nothing happened 11/26.....next DR dates for penn from last cycle were 12/10-12....meaning next friday :(

Luckily last cycle is basically irrelevant here.

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:04 pm

bowie8285 wrote:since nothing happened 11/26.....next DR dates for penn from last cycle were 12/10-12....meaning next friday :(

Luckily last cycle is basically irrelevant here.

Why do you say that?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”