U Penn 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
uganik
Posts: 258
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:40 am

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby uganik » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:15 pm

That Penn State email was of extremely poor taste.

My opinion of the school just dropped about 20 USNWR points.

User avatar
Lyov Myshkin
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:28 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby Lyov Myshkin » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:53 pm

uganik wrote:That Penn State email was of extremely poor taste.

My opinion of the school just dropped about 20 USNWR points.


penn state isn't u penn.

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:58 pm

Lyov Myshkin wrote:
uganik wrote:That Penn State email was of extremely poor taste.

My opinion of the school just dropped about 20 USNWR points.


penn state isn't u penn.


+1000. Slight difference there, my friend. :lol:

User avatar
uganik
Posts: 258
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:40 am

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby uganik » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:07 pm

Congrat's on Harvard!

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:09 pm

uganik wrote:Congrat's on Harvard!


Thanks! Best of luck on your cycle.

User avatar
uganik
Posts: 258
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:40 am

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby uganik » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:13 pm

Thanks!
Last edited by uganik on Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
uganik
Posts: 258
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:40 am

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby uganik » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:43 am

PENN LAW is a most awesome law school and very close to being my top choice.

I have a strong interest in their JD/MA Philosophy program.

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby CardinalRules » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:26 am

uganik wrote:PENN LAW is a most awesome law school and very close to being my top choice.

I have a strong interest in their JD/MA Philosophy program.


Funny, that same program caught my attention too.

If you're interested, check out the UCLA Law and Philosophy Program, which comes close to offering the same experience.

The Kim Jong illest
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:01 am

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby The Kim Jong illest » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:03 pm

Here's to a week that hopefully will bear some good news for us Penn hopefuls.

User avatar
uganik
Posts: 258
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:40 am

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby uganik » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:07 pm

managamy wrote:
uganik wrote:PENN LAW is a most awesome law school and very close to being my top choice.

I have a strong interest in their JD/MA Philosophy program.


Funny, that same program caught my attention too.

If you're interested, check out the UCLA Law and Philosophy Program, which comes close to offering the same experience.



One of my best friends is a professor at UCLA but I did not apply there (yet) due to family considerations, i.e. living in Los Angeles.

I'll take a look at it, though.

Thanks!

flcath
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby flcath » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:07 pm

I couldn't comb through 17 pages of Penn Law anxiety, but can someone tell me: can/does Penn defer ED applicants to RD? Often? If so, when are those apps reviewed again?

User avatar
Burberry by Burberry
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:43 am

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby Burberry by Burberry » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:23 am

flcath wrote:I couldn't comb through 17 pages of Penn Law anxiety, but can someone tell me: can/does Penn defer ED applicants to RD? Often? If so, when are those apps reviewed again?

LSN shows that Penn rejected only one person ED last year, so I guess Penn defers a lot of the ED applicants for RD consideration.

http://penn.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants/0809/?lsat2=180&lsatR=true&lsat1=120&lgpa1=1.00&lgpa2=4.33&status=4&type=jd&sort=decision&order=asc

User avatar
Hattori Hanzo
Posts: 659
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:17 am

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:24 am

Burberry by Burberry wrote:
flcath wrote:I couldn't comb through 17 pages of Penn Law anxiety, but can someone tell me: can/does Penn defer ED applicants to RD? Often? If so, when are those apps reviewed again?

LSN shows that Penn rejected only one person ED last year, so I guess Penn defers a lot of the ED applicants for RD consideration.

http://penn.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants/0809/?lsat2=180&lsatR=true&lsat1=120&lgpa1=1.00&lgpa2=4.33&status=4&type=jd&sort=decision&order=asc


I noticed most 175+/3.8+ people got WL or rejected last year. What can a person in that situation do, after sending the app w/o a "why Penn" essay, to not get WL or rejected?

User avatar
MC Southstar
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby MC Southstar » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:25 am

Hattori Hanzo wrote:
Burberry by Burberry wrote:
flcath wrote:I couldn't comb through 17 pages of Penn Law anxiety, but can someone tell me: can/does Penn defer ED applicants to RD? Often? If so, when are those apps reviewed again?

LSN shows that Penn rejected only one person ED last year, so I guess Penn defers a lot of the ED applicants for RD consideration.

http://penn.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants/0809/?lsat2=180&lsatR=true&lsat1=120&lgpa1=1.00&lgpa2=4.33&status=4&type=jd&sort=decision&order=asc


I noticed most 175+/3.8+ people got WL or rejected last year. What can a person in that situation do, after sending the app w/o a "why Penn" essay, to not get WL or rejected?


Uh, ED?

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't really read what you said at first. I imagine that even if you wrote a Why Penn they might not believe it. I wouldn't if I was them anyway.

User avatar
Hattori Hanzo
Posts: 659
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:17 am

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:46 am

shadowfrost000 wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:
Burberry by Burberry wrote:
flcath wrote:I couldn't comb through 17 pages of Penn Law anxiety, but can someone tell me: can/does Penn defer ED applicants to RD? Often? If so, when are those apps reviewed again?

LSN shows that Penn rejected only one person ED last year, so I guess Penn defers a lot of the ED applicants for RD consideration.

http://penn.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants/0809/?lsat2=180&lsatR=true&lsat1=120&lgpa1=1.00&lgpa2=4.33&status=4&type=jd&sort=decision&order=asc


I noticed most 175+/3.8+ people got WL or rejected last year. What can a person in that situation do, after sending the app w/o a "why Penn" essay, to not get WL or rejected?


Uh, ED?

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't really read what you said at first. I imagine that even if you wrote a Why Penn they might not believe it. I wouldn't if I was them anyway.



So other than ED there is pretty much no hope for someone outside Penn's normal range to get accepted??

User avatar
MC Southstar
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby MC Southstar » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:49 am

Hattori Hanzo wrote:So other than ED there is pretty much no hope for someone outside Penn's normal range to get accepted??


You ask that as if I am God. I can't really tell you, but you can tell Penn YPs like a mofo. It is just hard to believe that someone with HYS numbers would choose not to go to HYS...

If you by chance get WL and write a really good Why Penn and really don't jump on a different bandwagon at your first opportunity, I don't see why they wouldn't accept you.

User avatar
Hattori Hanzo
Posts: 659
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:17 am

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:12 am

shadowfrost000 wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:So other than ED there is pretty much no hope for someone outside Penn's normal range to get accepted??


You ask that as if I am God. I can't really tell you, but you can tell Penn YPs like a mofo. It is just hard to believe that someone with HYS numbers would choose not to go to HYS...

If you by chance get WL and write a really good Why Penn and really don't jump on a different bandwagon at your first opportunity, I don't see why they wouldn't accept you.


I just thought this whole YP thing was over and done with since I read a post about the ranking formula changes. I actually prefer Penn to some higher ranked schools like NYU and Chicago. I guess I'll send it a passionate Why Penn if I get WL'd.

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby CardinalRules » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:17 am

I would definitely not say that there is absolutely no chance (sorry for the double negative). You can look at last year's graph on LSN and see that some RD applicants with outstanding numbers were admitted; a few of these lucky people even received scholarship money. I believe that the Chiashu graph also confirms this information. EDIT: It does, even more strongly: --LinkRemoved--

My application went under review on 11/20 (last Friday), FWIW.

duodora
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:28 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby duodora » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:02 am

Just had a question--I know this holds true for Duke...

But I initially went under review on 11/2 or something like that, and then last week my under review date changed to 11/24. Does anyone know if this means anything?

Thanks!

bowie8285
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:38 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby bowie8285 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:08 am

do they call you to reject/defer/waitlist as well? or only if accepted?

02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby 02082010 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:08 am

bowie8285 wrote:do they call you to reject/defer/waitlist as well? or only if accepted?


No school calls to do any of the aforementioned things.

bowie8285
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:38 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby bowie8285 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:14 am

when are they gonna let ED candidates know? last cycle some people heard back by thanksgiving....this wait is killing me

User avatar
NancyBotwin
Posts: 1085
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:43 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby NancyBotwin » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:14 pm

zomg! Under review as of today! :shock:

User avatar
Vegas_Rebel
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:18 am

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:37 pm

You look concerned Nancy.

Short of a Cornell style adcom meltdown, I'm sure you're fine :)

User avatar
NancyBotwin
Posts: 1085
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:43 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby NancyBotwin » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:39 pm

Vegas_Rebel wrote:You look concerned Nancy.

Short of a Cornell style adcom meltdown, I'm sure you're fine :)


Eh, not with my numbers. It's a huge reach.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: j431e782, laurlaur2112, proteinshake and 19 guests