U Penn 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
texasgirl22
Posts: 165
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:43 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby texasgirl22 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:59 pm

didn't several people get ED acceptances well into Dec?

nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:43 pm

texasgirl22 wrote:didn't several people get ED acceptances well into Dec?


yep, but the first batch came out before thanksgiving

User avatar
fidesverita
Posts: 274
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby fidesverita » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:03 pm

Is it just me or is Penn pretty slow? My file was submitted almost three weeks ago, and I know everything's complete... I'm just waiting for my status to change from "processing and received" to "complete"!

User avatar
PoorOrpheus
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:57 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby PoorOrpheus » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:05 pm

fidesverita wrote:Is it just me or is Penn pretty slow? My file was submitted almost three weeks ago, and I know everything's complete... I'm just waiting for my status to change from "processing and received" to "complete"!


How do you know for certain everything's complete? I applied 11/8 and my status changed to File Complete 11/17. When did you apply?

1lhopefully
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:09 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby 1lhopefully » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:25 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:
1lhopefully wrote:
clevinger33 wrote:
1lhopefully wrote:From Penn Law's Prospective Students page:

---

J.D. Program Insight of the Week

No special significance should be attached to an online date change once a file is under Committee review. Because we are a paperless office, a file will often be assigned, accessed, and reviewed a second (or third) time off-site, which is then reflected in our system.

----

I'm not one to parse words, but when they say no special significance, does it mean there is some significance, but not a lot? And if it is accessed/reviewed a second or third time, that probably means something. I don't know, I'm just getting impatient :-)


It probably means that multiple people look at every application (it's a committee, not one single person) so when another person accesses your application and looks at it, the date changes. By second or third time I don't think they mean second or third committee viewing, just that another person looked it. But this is all speculation, so I could be wrong.


Yeah that makes sense. I think I've reached the conclusion that if you get in, you find out on Wednesday before TG, and if you don't, you find out right after TG. But now that I think/know that, if I don't get a call on Wednesday, I'll assume/know I didn't get in.

What a painful process.


Kind of seems like you pulled that out of your ass. Why did you decide they are going to start making callings Wed? I thought they don't send their first notifications until December.


Ok, if you think I'm wrong, ignore me. Obviously it's just a conjecture based on what I've heard from various sources, just like any other post on this forum.

You're wrong about December though, because for the last two years the first batch of acceptances went out on Wednesday before Thanksgiving.

I guess in the next 72 hours we'll know. Either way, good luck to you, and everyone else.

1lhopefully
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:09 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby 1lhopefully » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:28 pm

clevinger33 wrote:
Yeah that makes sense. I think I've reached the conclusion that if you get in, you find out on Wednesday before TG, and if you don't, you find out right after TG. But now that I think/know that, if I don't get a call on Wednesday, I'll assume/know I didn't get in.

What a painful process.


The [strike]great[/strike] terrible thing is that on Wednesday I'll be driving with my family from DC to Kentucky for Thanksgiving, and pretty much all of Western Virginia/West Virginia/Eastern Kentucky has nonexistent cell phone coverage. So I'll either miss the call Wednesday and be worried about it all weekend, or not get the call and think that I didn't get it because of crappy cell coverage and be worried all weekend. It's pretty much a lose-lose situation.


I'm not sure if they do, but hopefully if they call and can't reach you, they'll leave a voicemail. Would be a nice way to start the holiday celebration.

User avatar
fidesverita
Posts: 274
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby fidesverita » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:25 am

PoorOrpheus wrote:
fidesverita wrote:Is it just me or is Penn pretty slow? My file was submitted almost three weeks ago, and I know everything's complete... I'm just waiting for my status to change from "processing and received" to "complete"!


How do you know for certain everything's complete? I applied 11/8 and my status changed to File Complete 11/17. When did you apply?


I know I'm complete because I completed my LSAC profile (except apps, obviously) last year. I've been out of school for a while, so everything's been waiting for me to send out. I applied 2.5 weeks ago. I guess I'm just being impatient :mrgreen:

User avatar
PoorOrpheus
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:57 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby PoorOrpheus » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:16 am

fidesverita wrote:I know I'm complete because I completed my LSAC profile (except apps, obviously) last year. I've been out of school for a while, so everything's been waiting for me to send out. I applied 2.5 weeks ago. I guess I'm just being impatient :mrgreen:


There's a difference between having all the necessary LORs, transcripts, etc. in your LSAC account and the school receiving the paper copy (some schools only request a digital copy and it takes just a day or two to go complete but Penn is not one of them). :wink:

User avatar
clevinger33
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 11:48 am

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby clevinger33 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:20 am

PoorOrpheus wrote:There's a difference between having all the necessary LORs, transcripts, etc. in your LSAC account and the school receiving the paper copy (some schools only request a digital copy and it takes just a day or two to go complete but Penn is not one of them). :wink:


Really? Because I went complete less than 24 hrs after I hit the submit button on the LSAC website.

02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby 02082010 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:27 am

clevinger33 wrote:
PoorOrpheus wrote:There's a difference between having all the necessary LORs, transcripts, etc. in your LSAC account and the school receiving the paper copy (some schools only request a digital copy and it takes just a day or two to go complete but Penn is not one of them). :wink:


Really? Because I went complete less than 24 hrs after I hit the submit button on the LSAC website.


I was complete within 2 business days of submitting but LSAC is located in PA, thus the turnaround times for all PA schools would be faster than other schools one would think.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:30 am

So, if UR date updates mean the next person is reading your app, and you've been under review for a few weeks, does that mean that you were an auto-reject/waitlist?

annabell
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby annabell » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:45 am

What are the status check possibilities for Penn Law?
i.e. "Received" and "Complete" - is there also an "Under Review" or some other status or does it go from "Complete" to "Decision Rendered"?

sotomayor
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:50 am

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby sotomayor » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:47 am

there is also "under committee review", which is what i am under now.

Amelie
Posts: 814
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:19 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby Amelie » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:47 am

annabell wrote:What are the status check possibilities for Penn Law?
i.e. "Received" and "Complete" - is there also an "Under Review" or some other status or does it go from "Complete" to "Decision Rendered"?


If you're under review your status will say "Under Committee Review."

s419
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:40 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby s419 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:43 am

Just submitted my application last night! I spent a long time perfecting my supplemental essays - DS, why penn/5 year plan, and influential artwork - so I hope that was a good decision (vs. sending the application in with only one essay 2 weeks ago). Penn is one of my top choices and I was a little worried about possibly being waitlisted for YP reasons. Now to settle back for the long wait! Any ideas when RD applicants may hear back? January?

frix0803
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:05 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby frix0803 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:14 pm

Week of 11/23/2009
We appreciate your interest in the University of Pennsylvania Law School, and want to wish you safe and relaxing travels during the Thanksgiving holiday. The Admissions Committee will not be meeting this week, thus no decisions will be made or released.

Looks like we won't be getting decisions soon. Most likely early weeks of Dec would be my guess.

User avatar
Jacques
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:59 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby Jacques » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:16 pm

frix0803 wrote:Week of 11/23/2009
We appreciate your interest in the University of Pennsylvania Law School, and want to wish you safe and relaxing travels during the Thanksgiving holiday. The Admissions Committee will not be meeting this week, thus no decisions will be made or released.

Looks like we won't be getting decisions soon. Most likely early weeks of Dec would be my guess.


I have to say, that's a class move sending out those notices. Good for Penn.

frix0803
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:05 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby frix0803 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:19 pm

Could not agree more.

Jacques wrote:
frix0803 wrote:Week of 11/23/2009
We appreciate your interest in the University of Pennsylvania Law School, and want to wish you safe and relaxing travels during the Thanksgiving holiday. The Admissions Committee will not be meeting this week, thus no decisions will be made or released.

Looks like we won't be getting decisions soon. Most likely early weeks of Dec would be my guess.


I have to say, that's a class move sending out those notices. Good for Penn.

nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:43 pm

Did the admissions office email out that message? Hmm I didn't receive one

User avatar
CoutureChiq
Posts: 118
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:04 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby CoutureChiq » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:55 pm

+1
nonprofit-prophet wrote:Did the admissions office email out that message? Hmm I didn't receive one

0L Hoping for 1
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:55 pm

CoutureChiq wrote:+1
nonprofit-prophet wrote:Did the admissions office email out that message? Hmm I didn't receive one


+2

Split5
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:49 am

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby Split5 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:05 pm

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
CoutureChiq wrote:+1
nonprofit-prophet wrote:Did the admissions office email out that message? Hmm I didn't receive one


+2


+3

I don't buy it. Either it was sent to everyone or it wasn't.

User avatar
Drew2010
Posts: 418
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:21 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby Drew2010 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:07 pm

It wasn't sent... it's on their website

http://www.law.upenn.edu/prospective/jdinsights.html

User avatar
summerschooled
Posts: 267
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby summerschooled » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:11 pm

Drew2010 wrote:It wasn't sent... it's on their website

http://www.law.upenn.edu/prospective/jdinsights.html

Ah, sneaky sneaky.

User avatar
SteakEmUp
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:46 am

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby SteakEmUp » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:11 pm

This marks the second time in the past few days that Penn has provided an answer to a topic being pondered on this forum (first about updated status checker, now about first wave of decisions).

Coincidence? Or are these an indication that they follow what's happening on TLS?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”