U Penn 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
MahaloMontana
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:42 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby MahaloMontana » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:46 pm

lawschools2424 wrote:
Lurkster wrote:
lawschools2424 wrote:178/3.95,

Any suggestions???


Go to H/Y/S.


Yeah, did you notice the second half of my post about my significant other waiting to hear back about a PhD program AT UPENN? For a few of us out there the whole school decision thing is about more than just automatically going to the very highest ranked school we can get into. And no, it's not a super fun situation actually.


Can you write a quick 5-year plan essay and send it to them? I had been under review for a long time (2+ months) after only submitting one additional essay. I decided to write the 5-year plan to show them I was still interested. I got the acceptance call about 2 weeks later. Don't know if the latter was necessarily because of the former, but it won't hurt you, and it will let them know you're still interested.

lawschools2424
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:13 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby lawschools2424 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:39 am

MahaloMontana wrote:
lawschools2424 wrote:
Lurkster wrote:
lawschools2424 wrote:178/3.95,

Any suggestions???


Go to H/Y/S.


Yeah, did you notice the second half of my post about my significant other waiting to hear back about a PhD program AT UPENN? For a few of us out there the whole school decision thing is about more than just automatically going to the very highest ranked school we can get into. And no, it's not a super fun situation actually.


Can you write a quick 5-year plan essay and send it to them? I had been under review for a long time (2+ months) after only submitting one additional essay. I decided to write the 5-year plan to show them I was still interested. I got the acceptance call about 2 weeks later. Don't know if the latter was necessarily because of the former, but it won't hurt you, and it will let them know you're still interested.


Hi MahaloMontana, thanks so much, that's a great suggestion and I'm so glad it worked (or something worked) for you! Did you send your extra essay by email or hard copy or some other way?

User avatar
MahaloMontana
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:42 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby MahaloMontana » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:53 pm

lawschools2424 wrote:Hi MahaloMontana, thanks so much, that's a great suggestion and I'm so glad it worked (or something worked) for you! Did you send your extra essay by email or hard copy or some other way?


I sent it via email as a PDF and asked if they could add to my application. I always send Word docs as PDFs for formatting reasons. (If you have a Mac, you can select print, and from the bottom left corner select "save as PDF".) Good luck!

User avatar
jl2032
Posts: 264
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:58 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby jl2032 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:19 pm

AAAAAAAAAAAAAH. In at UPENN!!!!

Just missed a call and listened to the voicemail... Super excited!!!

UCR 2/18 -> UCR 3/15

In today, but my status checker hasn't updated yet!!

User avatar
worldwithoutend
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:56 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby worldwithoutend » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:35 pm

Waitlisted. Disappointed.

User avatar
Shlonster
Posts: 155
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:04 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby Shlonster » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:43 pm

*
Last edited by Shlonster on Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Lmao Zedong
Posts: 381
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:10 am

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby Lmao Zedong » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:53 pm

waitlisted today!

this completes the MVBP YP sweep!!!

probably the most epic achievement of my cycle

lawschools2424
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:13 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby lawschools2424 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:04 pm

MahaloMontana wrote:
lawschools2424 wrote:Hi MahaloMontana, thanks so much, that's a great suggestion and I'm so glad it worked (or something worked) for you! Did you send your extra essay by email or hard copy or some other way?


I sent it via email as a PDF and asked if they could add to my application. I always send Word docs as PDFs for formatting reasons. (If you have a Mac, you can select print, and from the bottom left corner select "save as PDF".) Good luck!


And in this afternoon with a nice call :D Maybe the "I'm still really interested, when do I get to hear back?" email I sent on Monday that they never responded to did the trick? Thanks for the encouragement and good advice!

mh7777
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:20 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby mh7777 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:09 pm

Lmao Zedong wrote:waitlisted today!

this completes the MVBP YP sweep!!!

probably the most epic achievement of my cycle



Ditto.

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7119
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby los blancos » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:19 pm

Hooray Penn WL. :roll:

User avatar
cyh
Posts: 215
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:19 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby cyh » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:20 pm

los blancos wrote:Hooray Penn WL. :roll:



+1

right along with Michigan

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7119
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby los blancos » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:23 pm

cyh wrote:
los blancos wrote:Hooray Penn WL. :roll:



+1

right along with Michigan


Have you completed the MVP trifecta?

I'm still waiting for Michigan to WL me. Screw MVP.

User avatar
cyh
Posts: 215
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:19 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby cyh » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:31 pm

los blancos wrote:
cyh wrote:
los blancos wrote:Hooray Penn WL. :roll:



+1

right along with Michigan


Have you completed the MVP trifecta?

I'm still waiting for Michigan to WL me. Screw MVP.



Didn't apply to V... and from the looks of this year's cycle, I'm glad I didn't.
They're handing out WL/Rejections to anyone who didn't ED.

User avatar
worldwithoutend
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:56 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby worldwithoutend » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:40 pm

3.6 175 earned me the WL trifecta. Sigh. Duke likes me though, and they offered me a little
money. So I've got that going for me, which is nice.

User avatar
MahaloMontana
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:42 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby MahaloMontana » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:42 pm

lawschools2424 wrote:
MahaloMontana wrote:
lawschools2424 wrote:Hi MahaloMontana, thanks so much, that's a great suggestion and I'm so glad it worked (or something worked) for you! Did you send your extra essay by email or hard copy or some other way?


I sent it via email as a PDF and asked if they could add to my application. I always send Word docs as PDFs for formatting reasons. (If you have a Mac, you can select print, and from the bottom left corner select "save as PDF".) Good luck!


And in this afternoon with a nice call :D Maybe the "I'm still really interested, when do I get to hear back?" email I sent on Monday that they never responded to did the trick? Thanks for the encouragement and good advice!


congrats! and lucky you to not have to write that 5-year plan! :)

democrattotheend
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:04 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby democrattotheend » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:42 pm

Waitlisted today via status checker. A little surprised, since I got into NYU and Columbia, and UVA just offered me a ton of money. But my numbers are not high enough for YP, and I wrote the 5-year "why Penn" essay. I also discussed my ties to Philadelphia in my personal statement. I guess maybe because I wrote about wanting to do PI in my application, and Penn is a little more corporate focused.

I think I am going to withdraw. At this point, with my other offers, I doubt I would have picked Penn anyway.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby r6_philly » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:27 am

democrattotheend wrote:Waitlisted today via status checker. A little surprised, since I got into NYU and Columbia, and UVA just offered me a ton of money. But my numbers are not high enough for YP, and I wrote the 5-year "why Penn" essay. I also discussed my ties to Philadelphia in my personal statement. I guess maybe because I wrote about wanting to do PI in my application, and Penn is a little more corporate focused.

I think I am going to withdraw. At this point, with my other offers, I doubt I would have picked Penn anyway.


Thats interesting. I was waitlisted with a why Penn essay and as strong desire to attend as possible as well as years of living here. But I did write about PI and my career interests that may not agree with Penn's focus and strength. Perhaps my goals and interests are not super compatible with them, as are yours.

tm912
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:54 am

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby tm912 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:59 pm

Hi guys-- my status checker updated to UCR a second time with today's date instead of the original 3/15...i feel like people may have speculated about this in the past but I am having a hard time finding related posts. Anyone know if it means anything for the UCR date to change like this? Thanks. And congrats again to all those accepted Friday.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:03 pm

Has Penn moved on to anyone they previously held yet?

floppymex
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:00 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby floppymex » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:06 pm

-
Last edited by floppymex on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flanker1067
Posts: 658
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby Flanker1067 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:06 pm

I have been UCR since 3/3. Thought I would throw that out there because I am anxious as hell, not because anyone cares.

User avatar
underachiever
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:09 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby underachiever » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:07 pm

r6_philly wrote:
democrattotheend wrote:Waitlisted today via status checker. A little surprised, since I got into NYU and Columbia, and UVA just offered me a ton of money. But my numbers are not high enough for YP, and I wrote the 5-year "why Penn" essay. I also discussed my ties to Philadelphia in my personal statement. I guess maybe because I wrote about wanting to do PI in my application, and Penn is a little more corporate focused.

I think I am going to withdraw. At this point, with my other offers, I doubt I would have picked Penn anyway.


Thats interesting. I was waitlisted with a why Penn essay and as strong desire to attend as possible as well as years of living here. But I did write about PI and my career interests that may not agree with Penn's focus and strength. Perhaps my goals and interests are not super compatible with them, as are yours.


I got in last year with 75th percentile numbers and PI focused writing sample and "Why Penn"....it really has to do with filling a "class" per se and not all numbers, b/c every year there are students with high numbers at all T14s who got rejected/waitlisted at lower schools just b/c they didn't fit into the "class" dynamic that a school was trying to build for that year. I have friends who got rejected at Gtown or Michigan and got into NYU and Columbia, its not always an exact science.....Anyway, good luck to both of you, ur in at great schools!

User avatar
jl2032
Posts: 264
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:58 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby jl2032 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:07 pm

tm912 wrote:Hi guys-- my status checker updated to UCR a second time with today's date instead of the original 3/15...i feel like people may have speculated about this in the past but I am having a hard time finding related posts. Anyone know if it means anything for the UCR date to change like this? Thanks. And congrats again to all those accepted Friday.


I think it means a second person is reviewing the file.

FWIW, I went UCR 2/18 and then it changed again to UCR 3/15 before I got my acceptance 3/19.

holborn
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby holborn » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:53 pm

i went UCR on 2/4, then again on 2/26, and nothing since then. i just want an answer!

342848386278
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:59 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby 342848386278 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:29 pm

tm912 wrote:Hi guys-- my status checker updated to UCR a second time with today's date instead of the original 3/15...i feel like people may have speculated about this in the past but I am having a hard time finding related posts. Anyone know if it means anything for the UCR date to change like this? Thanks. And congrats again to all those accepted Friday.


+1 UCR 3/15 + 3/22... hoping this means somebody will call me on Friday and give me the best news I've ever recieved my life :D




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AJ1010, Blue664, Exabot [Bot], Ferrisjso, staypuff and 22 guests