U Penn 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
choco39

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby choco39 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:39 am

Just got the call! In!

peyso

Postby peyso » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:14 pm

Anyone have an idea about when they make decisions about people held for further review. I've had this status since 12/17 and I already submitted an additional statement, an updated resume and another recommendation. Do I have to just sit and wait?

Chichaca

Postby Chichaca » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:30 pm

In today via phone call!

Looking at LSN, Penn doesn't appear to be doing much YP this year. I only mention this because they are pretty much known for YP. Thoughts?

roxj

Postby roxj » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:36 pm

Congrats! Any chance any of you were Fall grade request people?

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:40 pm

Chichaca wrote:In today via phone call!

Looking at LSN, Penn doesn't appear to be doing much YP this year. I only mention this because they are pretty much known for YP. Thoughts?

there were some "holds" that wouldn't show up on LSN as WLs but may be YP. It's hard to know; they are shooting for a small class size, and the numbers aren't consistent enough to say that they are the only factor. maybe they YP, maybe they don't, but it also seems likely that people with good numbers aren't somehow entitled to automatic acceptances from everywhere.

Postby 02082010 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:42 pm

puppins wrote:

there were some "holds" that wouldn't show up on LSN as WLs but may be YP. It's hard to know; they are shooting for a small class size, and the numbers aren't consistent enough to say that they are the only factor. maybe they YP, maybe they don't, but it also seems likely that people with good numbers aren't somehow entitled to automatic acceptances from everywhere.

As HYSCCN has clearly shown you. It's good when people learn from experience.

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:50 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:
puppins wrote:

based on your luck with HYSCCN, we are also learning that URM status isn't everything either. what a fun day.

--ImageRemoved--

Postby 02082010 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:54 pm

puppins wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:
puppins wrote:there were some "holds" that wouldn't show up on LSN as WLs but may be YP. It's hard to know; they are shooting for a small class size, and the numbers aren't consistent enough to say that they are the only factor. maybe they YP, maybe they don't, but it also seems likely that people with good numbers aren't somehow entitled to automatic acceptances from everywhere.

based on your luck with HYSCCN, we are also learning that URM status isn't everything either. what a fun day.

--ImageRemoved--

You b*tch.

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:54 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:You b*tch.

<3

I'm sad we're not going to end up at the same school.

Postby 02082010 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:58 pm

puppins wrote:

<3

No Chicago (fingers crossed) or UVA in your future?

Did you figure out the $$ issue with Penn?

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:58 pm

puppins owns

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:01 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:
puppins wrote:

<3

we are working on it a little. if NYU throws me $$ it will make things go more smoothly.

Postby 02082010 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:02 pm

puppins wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:
puppins wrote:

<3

we are working on it a little. if NYU throws me $$ it will make things go more smoothly.

You're so covert with your numbers that I don't know if you should be getting HYS, Hamilton, and Levy or if you're barely squeaking into CCN. I do hope all works out though.

MahaloMontana

Postby MahaloMontana » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:06 pm

rockchalk86 wrote:OMG... IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just got the call... stats in profile.

congrats! when did you apply?

rockchalk86

Postby rockchalk86 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:49 pm

redhead77 wrote:
rockchalk86 wrote:OMG... IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just got the call... stats in profile.

congrats! when did you apply?

I applied early November and went UR 12/1 then 12/15... Decisions... decisions

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:48 pm

received a quasi-hold email. will likely send the extra-essay mentioned to avoid YP, hopefully get $.

georgina

Postby georgina » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:52 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:received a quasi-hold email. will likely send the extra-essay mentioned to avoid YP, hopefully get $.

what's a quasi-hold? people on LSN seem to be getting real WL's.

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:53 pm

georgina wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:received a quasi-hold email. will likely send the extra-essay mentioned to avoid YP, hopefully get $.

"The admissions process at Penn Law is a deliberative process. Every file is read by numerous members of the Admissions Committee. As of this date, your file has been reviewed by at least two members of the Committee and we are impressed with your credentials. We are continuing our review of your file however, and thus have not yet rendered a decision.

Please feel free to submit additional supporting documents, such as one additional letter of recommendation, an updated resume, or an additional two page essay on the topic of your choice. "

I really am attracted to Penn though, I definitely would consider it seriously with CCN admits. so I'm hoping this is just related to YP and that I can convince them of my interest with the additional essay.

rockchalk86

Postby rockchalk86 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:00 pm

I thought I would post some additional information regarding my application and acceptance. I did not write anything special such as a "why penn" of "five-year plan". I submitted a 5 sentence LSAT addendum that I sent to every school. I considered that my optional essay. So for anyone else in a similar situation, it is not necessary to shmooze the adcomms with a clever optional essay. My simple addendum did the trick. I honestly thought that it would screw me but I guess not. Good luck everyone else! Hope to see y'all in the fall.

georgina

Postby georgina » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:01 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:
georgina wrote:

"The admissions process at Penn Law is a deliberative process. Every file is read by numerous members of the Admissions Committee. As of this date, your file has been reviewed by at least two members of the Committee and we are impressed with your credentials. We are continuing our review of your file however, and thus have not yet rendered a decision.

Please feel free to submit additional supporting documents, such as one additional letter of recommendation, an updated resume, or an additional two page essay on the topic of your choice. "

I really am attracted to Penn though, I definitely would consider it seriously with CCN admits. so I'm hoping this is just related to YP and that I can convince them of my interest with the additional essay.

oh, how strange, i didn't know Penn did that. can i get your submit/complete dates?

panadera

Postby panadera » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:02 pm

Congrats to the new admits!

I was waitlisted on 1/12 and have just withdrawn. I'm sending good thoughts to all those waiting.

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:06 pm

georgina wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:
georgina wrote:

oh, how strange, i didn't know Penn did that. can i get your submit/complete dates?

I think I went complete first or second week of november.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:10 pm

It's probably a new yield-protect strategy. As long as you make clear that you're interested by sending in something (a new essay, a new LOR, an updated resume, even probably just an LOCI, anything), they'll probably admit you; otherwise, YP.

It may be reserved for high-level splitters like you, too. It could be that they want to admit you, but they don't want to risk their GPA median if you're not going to attend.

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:12 pm

yea well if I didn't attend I wouldn't have any impact on their medians.

LS18

Postby LS18 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:09 pm

Could use some help here...applied around Christmas and still have yet to go complete a month later. Status checker says my app is received/processing. Is this typical?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”