U Penn 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
squelp

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby squelp » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:09 pm

jh60405 wrote:Waitlist 171 3.65. Thought I had a good shot. Don't know if its that my undergrad caught some disrespect, its a tougher admissions cycle, or I overrated my chances coming into this. Oh well . . .

Waitlisted with a 172/3.65.

thorntll

Postby thorntll » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:10 pm

squelp wrote:
jh60405 wrote:Waitlist 171 3.65. Thought I had a good shot. Don't know if its that my undergrad caught some disrespect, its a tougher admissions cycle, or I overrated my chances coming into this. Oh well . . .

Waitlisted with a 172/3.65.

What?! They're fools.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:16 pm

Is being waitlisted better than being held? Just trying to better understand what has happened. Would sending a 4th LOR and essay help a 169 3.9 candidate (arn't those usually for people being YP'd)?

amidea

Postby amidea » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:17 pm

I just got an email saying I'm held, with a 177/HYP/3.63. What does this mean for me? Also is the grade request a specific email? Mine also mentioned that if I happen to be in UG I should send in grades but that's all. I haven't even taken finals yet so I won't have my fall semester grades for a while...

JetstoRJC

Postby JetstoRJC » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:21 pm

Asked for last semester's grades....

Unique question concerning this. Last semester I did an internship through my University. I receive three credits for letter grade for which I received an A. I also receive nine credits of pass/fail credit after turning in an essay based on the experience. The essay isn't due until the end of this semester so right now the grade shows as IF for incomplete.

Anyways I would rather not submit the semester's grade until after submitting the essay and receiving the Pass. I don't know the effect the IF would have at my LSAC GPA but I would rather not find out. Any advice on how to approach this with Penn?

squelp

Postby squelp » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:29 pm

amidea wrote:I just got an email saying I'm held, with a 177/HYP/3.63. What does this mean for me? Also is the grade request a specific email? Mine also mentioned that if I happen to be in UG I should send in grades but that's all. I haven't even taken finals yet so I won't have my fall semester grades for a while...

Wow, a 177 and HYP undergrad. What do they have to think about?

amidea

Postby amidea » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:32 pm

squelp wrote:
amidea wrote:I just got an email saying I'm held, with a 177/HYP/3.63. What does this mean for me? Also is the grade request a specific email? Mine also mentioned that if I happen to be in UG I should send in grades but that's all. I haven't even taken finals yet so I won't have my fall semester grades for a while...

Wow, a 177 and HYP undergrad. What do they have to think about?

Maybe I made some glaring mistake on my app and they're trying to figure out if they can look past it?

js87

Postby js87 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:32 pm

You were likely held because they know you'll get in to (multiple) top 5 schools. They don't want to accept someone who likely won't go. This is called yield protecting. No school does it officially, but it's easy to spot it on LSN. Since you're held, and not wait listed, I imagine a sincere letter expressing your desire to attend, if you do have that desire, will get you accepted.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:34 pm

js87 wrote:

You were likely held because they know you'll get in to (multiple) top 5 schools. They don't want to accept someone who likely won't go. This is called yield protecting. No school does it officially, but it's easy to spot it on LSN. Since you're held, and not wait listed, I imagine a sincere letter expressing your desire to attend, if you do have that desire, will get you accepted.

Yes, definitely YP. A mild LOCI should fix the problem, if you do want to fix it. You probably have or will have better options, though.
Last edited by CardinalRules on Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:37 pm

Did you submit school specific essays? I think that's what got ME since I didn't write a 5 yr plan or why Penn.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:39 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:

Did you submit school specific essays? I think that's what got ME since I didn't write a 5 yr plan or why Penn.

You have to submit specific essays for Penn. I wrote the art-literature essay myself.

EDIT: No 5-year plan or why Penn, so I should have been held too according to the pattern that is emerging. Perhaps the call today didn't indicate what I thought.
Last edited by CardinalRules on Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amidea

Postby amidea » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:43 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:

I wrote about how Penn fit into my 5 year plan, but I don't think it was very compelling... And I see now, I just didn't know Penn's position on YP. Thanks guys.

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:44 pm

managamy wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:

You have to submit specific essays for Penn. I wrote the art-literature essay myself.

In retrospect, that would have been helpful. Oh well....

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:46 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:
managamy wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:

In retrospect, that would have been helpful. Oh well....

Wait, you didn't write ANY of the extra essays? I thought that they were required.

owhlcn

Postby owhlcn » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:48 pm

who in this thread is still UCR from Nov/Dec and hasn't heard anything? no fall grade requests, no acceptance/denial/waitlist, anything? i know there's a few more out there...

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:52 pm

managamy wrote:Wait, you didn't write ANY of the extra essays? I thought that they were required.

Nope :? Just a PS and a DS! I guess that explains everything :D

rockchalk86

Postby rockchalk86 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:55 pm

owhlcn wrote:who in this thread is still UCR from Nov/Dec and hasn't heard anything? no fall grade requests, no acceptance/denial/waitlist, anything? i know there's a few more out there...

Me. Maybe tomorrow will be the day. If not then I'm not sure why we haven't been held or waitlisted yet. I was almost sure i would be because my extra essay was a one paragraph LSAT addendum I submitted to all schools explaining a bad first LSAT. No special tailoring to Penn in any way.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:58 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:
managamy wrote:Wait, you didn't write ANY of the extra essays? I thought that they were required.

Pretty sure the DS counts as one of the others, because that's all I did, too.

owhlcn

Postby owhlcn » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 pm

rockchalk86 wrote:
owhlcn wrote:who in this thread is still UCR from Nov/Dec and hasn't heard anything? no fall grade requests, no acceptance/denial/waitlist, anything? i know there's a few more out there...

Me. Maybe tomorrow will be the day. If not then I'm not sure why we haven't been held or waitlisted yet. I was almost sure i would be because my extra essay was a one paragraph LSAT addendum I submitted to all schools explaining a bad first LSAT. No special tailoring to Penn in any way.

yeah ditto, didn't write a 5 yr plan or why penn or anything, just a (poorly written) (slightly bullshit) DS. we'll see, i suppose.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:01 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:

Pretty sure the DS counts as one of the others, because that's all I did, too.

The DS counts. I used my Y250 for my extra essay because it already fit the art-literature theme; I didn't have a DS.

Shaggier1

Postby Shaggier1 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:04 pm

Got W/L email around 7:00 tonight.

Stats in profile and all applications dates on LSN page (same name)

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:04 pm

Oli wrote:
managamy wrote:
ccs224 wrote:
No, I'd rather the letter. It'd the difference between a "Dear John" and a text message.

I'd prefer the text message / IM too, to be honest.

Good thing you'll never have to experience either

:lol: I'm not so sure, but thanks for the vote of confidence.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:12 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:

Yeah, this could have been my problem too. Nothing Penn specific.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:14 pm

emrose wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:

I wrote nothing Penn-specific either, though. The art-literature essay didn't have the word "Penn" anywhere in it.

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:19 pm

managamy wrote:
emrose wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:

I wrote nothing Penn-specific either, though. The art-literature essay didn't have the word "Penn" anywhere in it.

You must just be special.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”