U Penn 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
catharsis
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:48 am

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby catharsis » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:28 pm

I just got an email waitlisting me :(

"We will not begin the review of wait listed candidates until mid-May. It may well be that we will make admission offers to wait listed candidates over the course of the summer"

^ does anyone else have a problem with that? lol. most of my admissions require me to notify them by early-mid April and waiting around until MAY for Penn isnt going to cut it. sorry Penn, we could have been good together..

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby dakatz » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:31 pm

catharsis wrote:I just got an email waitlisting me :(

"We will not begin the review of wait listed candidates until mid-May. It may well be that we will make admission offers to wait listed candidates over the course of the summer"

^ does anyone else have a problem with that? lol. most of my admissions require me to notify them by early-mid April and waiting around until MAY for Penn isnt going to cut it. sorry Penn, we could have been good together..


Thats why I'm essentially treating WL's like rejections. I look to have made my final decision by April. I guess you could always put down your deposit at a school, then ditch for Penn if you manage to get off the WL, but that most likely won't happen for anyone on the WL.

The Kim Jong illest
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:01 am

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby The Kim Jong illest » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:40 pm

dakatz wrote:
catharsis wrote:I just got an email waitlisting me :(

"We will not begin the review of wait listed candidates until mid-May. It may well be that we will make admission offers to wait listed candidates over the course of the summer"

^ does anyone else have a problem with that? lol. most of my admissions require me to notify them by early-mid April and waiting around until MAY for Penn isnt going to cut it. sorry Penn, we could have been good together..


Thats why I'm essentially treating WL's like rejections. I look to have made my final decision by April. I guess you could always put down your deposit at a school, then ditch for Penn if you manage to get off the WL, but that most likely won't happen for anyone on the WL.


Lots of people do this. Put your deposit down at choice number 4, and be fully willing to write it of when choice number 1 comes calling.

tram988
Posts: 1161
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:51 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby tram988 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:52 pm

Got the waitlist email. Surprised I wasn't rejected!!

User avatar
poprox
Posts: 247
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:58 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby poprox » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:10 pm

I take it a WL means there will be no merit $$$. If that is true, Penn is definitely out for me.

02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby 02082010 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:14 pm

poprox wrote:I take it a WL means there will be no merit $$$. If that is true, Penn is definitely out for me.


Usually, but not always.

Unidentified
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:11 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby Unidentified » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:15 pm

Hello all, I just registered to post here. I just got an update. ED application. Have been UR since 11/19, just became UR 12/16 and they "decided to hold your file for further review". Sadness, I've been hoping for a call since people started getting called.

CCA
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:43 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby CCA » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:01 pm

I am surprised by all of the entitlement attitudes from some of the posters on here. Just because you have a high LSAT and a below-median GPA doesn't mean that you are a sure thing and that you are entitled to get in without a waitlist. This thread seems to have turned into whining about YP when many of you were well below the median GPA (3.82). Not meaning to be rude, but I think some of you have to reduce your expectations, especially considering the economy and the competitiveness of admissions.

For those of you who got in, congratulations and feel free to ask any questions on this thread or the other one.

User avatar
wackjickham
Posts: 458
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 4:03 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby wackjickham » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:09 pm

CCA wrote:I am surprised by all of the entitlement attitudes from some of the posters on here. Just because you have a high LSAT and a below-median GPA doesn't mean that you are a sure thing and that you are entitled to get in without a waitlist. This thread seems to have turned into whining about YP when many of you were well below the median GPA (3.82). Not meaning to be rude, but I think some of you have to reduce your expectations, especially considering the economy and the competitiveness of admissions.

For those of you who got in, congratulations and feel free to ask any questions on this thread or the other one.


I think disappointment can come off as entitlement when read on an online forum. I don't think anyone thinks Penn owes them or that they deserved to get it. It's just that based on our best projections on our best available past data we felt we had a good chance.

If I really wanted to get in to Penn I should have worked harder in undergrad, and I'll be the first to admit that. I don't blame the admissions committee at all and I'll go out on a limb here and say most of the reasonable people on this board don't either. Just disappointment, is all.

User avatar
tintin
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:26 am

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby tintin » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:18 pm

has anyone gotten the actual letter yet? does it have more info than just the acceptance letter? i looked for info on the website about admitted students days and couldnt find any....

User avatar
js87
Posts: 434
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:42 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby js87 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:19 pm

Is anyone else still "Under Committee Review" with a date of 11/20? Went complete on 10/26 and had my UCR date update once or twice, but it's been 11/20 for quite awhile obviously.

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby CardinalRules » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:20 pm

js87 wrote:Is anyone else still "Under Committee Review" with a date of 11/20? Went complete on 10/26 and had my UCR date update once or twice, but it's been 11/20 for quite awhile obviously.


Yes. I've had no updates since going UR for the first time on 11/20. Without sounding cynical, I'm looking forward to a near-certain WL or rejection for YP reasons.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6374
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby 5ky » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:28 pm

For what it's worth, not sure if it has been mentioned anywhere in this thread: when they called me (Monday), the person on the phone a decision had just been made that day. I submitted 10/27 and updated a few times, none past 11/19. Not sure if it's true or not, but I thought I'd pass it on.

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby CardinalRules » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:35 pm

5ky wrote:For what it's worth, not sure if it has been mentioned anywhere in this thread: when they called me (Monday), the person on the phone a decision had just been made that day. I submitted 10/27 and updated a few times, none past 11/19. Not sure if it's true or not, but I thought I'd pass it on.


Thanks for passing on this surprising information. I imagine that UR dates will have to change a few times before decision, however.

User avatar
summerschooled
Posts: 267
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby summerschooled » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:36 pm

js87 wrote:Is anyone else still "Under Committee Review" with a date of 11/20? Went complete on 10/26 and had my UCR date update once or twice, but it's been 11/20 for quite awhile obviously.

I'm still under review 11/18. :(

User avatar
puppleberry finn
Posts: 1036
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby puppleberry finn » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:37 pm

summerschooled wrote:
js87 wrote:Is anyone else still "Under Committee Review" with a date of 11/20? Went complete on 10/26 and had my UCR date update once or twice, but it's been 11/20 for quite awhile obviously.

I'm still under review 11/18. :(


several people got in with early UCR dates that never changed.

User avatar
humdrum
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:30 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby humdrum » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:43 pm

tintin wrote:has anyone gotten the actual letter yet? does it have more info than just the acceptance letter? i looked for info on the website about admitted students days and couldnt find any....


from the top of the status checker page"

Congratulations, and welcome to the Class of 2013! Your Penn Portfolio, containing information about the Law School and Philadelphia, will be sent in mid-January. Please save the date for our Admitted Students Weekend which will be held on Friday, March 26 and Saturday, March 27. You are also welcome to contact our office to arrange an individual visit to the Law School at any time by emailing admissionsrsvp@law.upenn.edu. As noted below, a deposit of $500 will be due by May 1, 2010 to secure your seat.

duodora
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:28 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby duodora » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:45 pm

tintin wrote:has anyone gotten the actual letter yet? does it have more info than just the acceptance letter? i looked for info on the website about admitted students days and couldnt find any....


If you log in to your status checker, at the top of the page (where it used to say something talking about how the admissions committee makes decisions), now it says the dates of the ASW :)

I haven't gotten the letter yet though (hoping for it soon though as I'm reasonably close to Philadelphia!)

User avatar
puppleberry finn
Posts: 1036
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby puppleberry finn » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:48 pm


02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby 02082010 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:10 pm

puppins wrote:http://www.flickr.com/photos/passiveaggressive/3882166305/

hmm


:lol:

trojanfan06
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:35 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby trojanfan06 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:15 pm

Waitlisted here as well. Penn was 1 of my top choices, thought I'd be in with my #s (3.7/171). Wrote the 5 year essay as well. This and not hearing back from Duke/UVA/Mich still has me worried that I messed something up with the rest of my application package...

holborn
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby holborn » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:18 pm

trojanfan06 wrote:Waitlisted here as well. Penn was 1 of my top choices, thought I'd be in with my #s (3.7/171). Wrote the 5 year essay as well. This and not hearing back from Duke/UVA/Mich still has me worried that I messed something up with the rest of my application package...


I have similar numbers. All these waitlists are freaking me out...

User avatar
Drew2010
Posts: 418
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:21 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby Drew2010 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:31 pm

Waitlisted via e-mail... 174/3.36

Fuck... I expect my hold letter from NYU any day now..

My two favorite schools I thought I had a shot at are both waitlisting
me.. I'm quite bummed

Edit: wrong LSAT score

User avatar
parker09
Posts: 430
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:15 am

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby parker09 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:29 am

waitlisted via email, RD (same day, same decision as UVA... *sigh*)
not entirely unexpected, but still disappointed

169/3.8
sent 10/13
complete 10/14
"under committee review" 10/28 (and never changed till now)

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6374
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby 5ky » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:32 am

parker09 wrote:waitlisted via email, RD (same day, same decision as UVA... *sigh*)
not entirely unexpected, but still disappointed

169/3.8
sent 10/13
complete 10/14
"under committee review" 10/28 (and never changed till now)


Damn, that's brutal. Sorry..




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”