U Penn 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
oneforship

Re: U Penn 2010

Postby oneforship » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:05 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:Are you guys +1ing on the denies or the what the hells?

I live to fight another day

As do I. But now I have to check my Penn status repeatedly to find out if I got the axe.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:10 pm

Just denied via status checker. Oh well. Didn't really expect to get in, so I'm not terribly bummed, though going to Penn would have been sweet.

ylc

Postby ylc » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:10 pm

wackjickham wrote:GPA addendum about why my GPA could have been higher because I've grown a lot during college. Guess it could have been seen as risky. I'd have to say I'm surprised to get a rejection and not even a WL.

Edit: Just noticed this at the top of the page:

Thank you for your interest in the University of Pennsylvania Law School. Although an official decision letter is forthcoming, we want to take this moment to recognize that this is disappointing news, and to wish you success in your future endeavors. We appreciate your strong commitment to attending Penn Law, and encourage you to contact us in the future should you contemplate a transfer application for the Class of 2013.

Sorry to those just denied by status check... that red in the sea of green is messed up.

floppymex

Postby floppymex » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:11 pm

oneforship wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:Are you guys +1ing on the denies or the what the hells?

I live to fight another day

As do I. But now I have to check my Penn status repeatedly to find out if I got the axe.

+1

Mosca

Postby Mosca » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:11 pm

dakatz wrote:Just denied via status checker.

+1

GobiasIndustries

Postby GobiasIndustries » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:12 pm

Sorry to all these denials :( I'm not there yet, but...I don't have high hopes.

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:13 pm

wackjickham wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
wackjickham wrote:Take a look at my dot on LSN. I'm a red dot in a sea of greens. What the hell did I do wrong?

Which sup essay did you write? Did you write about your five year plan after graduating from NYU?

GPA addendum about why my GPA could have been higher because I've grown a lot during college. Guess it could have been seen as risky. I'd have to say I'm surprised to get a rejection and not even a WL.

Thank you for your interest in the University of Pennsylvania Law School. Although an official decision letter is forthcoming, we want to take this moment to recognize that this is disappointing news, and to wish you success in your future endeavors. We appreciate your strong commitment to attending Penn Law, and encourage you to contact us in the future should you contemplate a transfer application for the Class of 2013.

how the hell did you get denied? did they just start flipping coins?

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:13 pm

Mosca wrote:
dakatz wrote:Just denied via status checker.

+1

Sorry, compadre. As always, I try and look on the bright side of things. I just got my Cornell acceptance packet in the mail, which I am thrilled about, plus I still have a bunch of schools to hear back from (with hopefully better news than this). Congrats to all who have gotten in, and to those still waiting, wishing you the best of luck.

1lhopefully

Postby 1lhopefully » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:14 pm

Those who have just been dinged via status checker, can you please tell me if you received an email saying your status had been updated, or you just checked on your own?

I realize I could just check on my own and deal with this issue myself, but in my head, this helps a lot.

Thanks.

wackjickham

Postby wackjickham » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:14 pm

1lhopefully wrote:Those who have just been dinged via status checker, can you please tell me if you received an email saying your status had been updated, or you just checked on your own?

I realize I could just check on my own and deal with this issue myself, but in my head, this helps a lot.

Thanks.

No email, just checked when someone else on here said it.

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:15 pm

freaking out over the denials right now and my lack of a phone call.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:15 pm

1lhopefully wrote:Those who have just been dinged via status checker, can you please tell me if you received an email saying your status had been updated, or you just checked on your own?

Thanks.

No email. I just checked because I read on here that someone had a "denied" status change.

SpaceDawg

Postby SpaceDawg » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:16 pm

oneforship wrote:
wackjickham wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
wackjickham wrote:Take a look at my dot on LSN. I'm a red dot in a sea of greens. What the hell did I do wrong?

Which sup essay did you write? Did you write about your five year plan after graduating from NYU?

GPA addendum about why my GPA could have been higher because I've grown a lot during college. Guess it could have been seen as risky. I'd have to say I'm surprised to get a rejection and not even a WL.

how the hell did you get denied? did they just start flipping coins?

YP?

1lhopefully

Postby 1lhopefully » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:16 pm

wackjickham wrote:

Thanks.

No email, just checked when someone else on here said it.

Thanks, I appreciate it. Sorry about Penn. But you got into NYU, that's definitely celebration worthy. The mistake is on Penn's side, not yours.

summerschooled

Postby summerschooled » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:17 pm

Oh wow, some of these decisions are messed up. Sorry to hear about everyone that just got the bad news. I'm still UR 11/18, but this new wave has got me really worried.

0L Hoping for 1

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:19 pm

I am sorry everyone. Mine is still UR 10/26. I am freaking out now though with denials.

lawyerlover

Postby lawyerlover » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:20 pm

dakatz wrote:Just denied via status checker. Oh well. Didn't really expect to get in, so I'm not terribly bummed, though going to Penn would have been sweet.

ugh so sorry for the news
to all those denied did you feel you had a realistic shot?
did you write more than one extra essay?

wackjickham

Postby wackjickham » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:21 pm

It's likely my supplemental essay wasn't as strong as it should have been. I went back and checked my application again on LSAT and there were no glaring errors, but I definitely rushed it a little more than my personal statement. I actually really liked it though, oh well.

I'm also not really that interesting. Straight out of undergrad and nothing to really make me stand out, I guess I didnt do a good job of making my supplemental essays make me stand out in some way.

I emailed them asking if they could reconsider my application with my fall grades (I did very well this semester) but I suspect I know what the answer will be, and it's probably best that I just move on. I've already gotten into some great schools that I would be more than happy to attend.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:23 pm

lawyerlover wrote:
dakatz wrote:Just denied via status checker. Oh well. Didn't really expect to get in, so I'm not terribly bummed, though going to Penn would have been sweet.

ugh so sorry for the news
to all those denied did you feel you had a realistic shot?
did you write more than one extra essay?

I don't know if I would say I had a realistic shot. I am around the 25th percentile for both their GPA and LSAT, but I am a URM so I wasn't sure what to think. I wrote 2 supplemental essays that were relatively strong, though not as solid as I thought my PS was. But I have some things in my application that tend to work against me, at least in my opinion. For example, I had what is perceived to be an "easy" major, plus I did awfully during my freshman year due to financial reasons and had to take a yearlong leave of absence, but maintained a 3.9 GPA since that point. These things obviously didn't help me.

x47point6

Postby x47point6 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:26 pm

sotomayor wrote:just got denied via status checker...

There's another sotomayor http://lawschoolnumbers.com/sotomayor/jd on LSN--not the same right?

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:27 pm

puppins wrote:freaking out over the denials right now and my lack of a phone call.

+1

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:29 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
puppins wrote:freaking out over the denials right now and my lack of a phone call.

+1

floppymex

Postby floppymex » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:29 pm

kittenmittons wrote:

+1

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:30 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:

+1

= 0... like my chance of admission

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:32 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:

+1

= 0... like my chance of admission

The more rejections = the better shot for me.
--ImageRemoved--

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”