U Penn 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
thalassocrat

Bronze

Re: U Penn 2010

Post by thalassocrat » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:11 pm

thorntll wrote:Just got the e-mail that I'm WL. I actually kind of forgot that I even applied to Penn. Definitely going to withdraw. If my spot was high on the list (which it probably wasn't), good luck to whoever gets it. ;-)
Oh good, I'm not the only one who forgot. :lol: Though I'd remembered more often lately. Still, I'm not really upset about this. Now I have more energy to focus on Berk. Hopefully someone from TLS will get my spot on the list and then be admitted. :D

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:13 pm

I'll give the status checker until the end of the week, then; if there's no change, I'll call them back next week to see what they want.

Thanks for all of your responses!

NancyBotwin

Silver

Post by NancyBotwin » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:16 pm

Oli wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:OMG! I thought for sure I was just going to be straight rejected... but just got a wait list offer! I'll take it! (I mean, obviously there's nothing to take, but hell, it's better than out!)
How did you find out? when did you apply? and all that good stuff :D
Like was said, email and status checker (email first, for me). I applied 11/2 I think, complete 11/6, and my last update was UCR 12/8. I don't even think I'm at median for LSAT, and WAY below 25th for GPA, so this was a surprise.

cylusr

New

Post by cylusr » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:19 pm

What does the Waitlist e-mail look like? I just got an e-mail that said they want my Fall grades. Is that the same as the waitlist e-mail?

"On behalf of the Admissions Committee, I want to thank you for your application to the university of pennsylvania law school. Your accomplishments to date are impressive and your evident commitment to our institution is not easily matched."
"As of this date, your file has been reviewed by at least two members of the Committee, and we are very impressed with your credentials."

is this good or bad?

texasgirl22

Bronze

Post by texasgirl22 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:21 pm

i got that email too in dec. i was ED though....just sent my transcript in today and we'll see if it was a good or bad sign...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

summerschooled

Bronze

Post by summerschooled » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:23 pm

cylusr wrote:What does the Waitlist e-mail look like? I just got an e-mail that said they want my Fall grades. Is that the same as the waitlist e-mail?

"On behalf of the Admissions Committee, I want to thank you for your application to the University of Pennsylvania Law School. Your accomplishments to date are impressive and your evident commitment to our institution is not easily matched."
"As of this date, your file has been reviewed by at least two members of the Committee, and we are very impressed with your credentials."

is this good or bad?
I got that email about a month ago and sent in my grades a week ago. I have no idea when I should expect to hear from them, though.

Hattori Hanzo

Silver

Post by Hattori Hanzo » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:23 pm

cylusr wrote:What does the Waitlist e-mail look like? I just got an e-mail that said they want my Fall grades. Is that the same as the waitlist e-mail?

"On behalf of the Admissions Committee, I want to thank you for your application to the University of Pennsylvania Law School. Your accomplishments to date are impressive and your evident commitment to our institution is not easily matched."

is this good or bad?
Depends on your grades! I think it means you're on the borderline and a little push by good fall grades can send you IN.

thalassocrat

Bronze

Post by thalassocrat » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:24 pm

is this good or bad?
It means they want your fall grades. It could be good or bad; I don't think anyone who's gotten a grade request has heard back yet. I'm not sure about that. The waitlist email starts off like this:

"Thank you for your interest in the university of pennsylvania law school. The Admissions Committee has completed its review of your application and would like to offer you a position on our wait list."

They make it very obvious.

NancyBotwin

Silver

Post by NancyBotwin » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:25 pm

cylusr wrote:What does the Waitlist e-mail look like?
It says:

Thank you for your interest in the university of pennsylvania law school. The Admissions Committee has completed its review of your application and would like to offer you a position on our wait list.

The Admissions Committee carefully considers the qualifications and merits of each applicant. Though your application is impressive, we are not in a position to offer you a seat in our entering class at this time. We anticipate reviewing as many as 6,200 applications for our incoming class of approximately 250 students. A hallmark of Penn Law is its small, intimate community and it is important that we maintain this environment; thus, we are exercising caution in the number of admission offers we extend at this time.

We will not begin the review of wait listed candidates until mid-May. It may well be that we will make admission offers to wait listed candidates over the course of the summer; however, we cannot predict the number of positions that may become available. We appreciate that a position on the wait list puts you in a difficult situation and that you will want to know more about your probability for admissions. Be assured that we will contact you as soon as we are in a position to make a final decision.

Please consider our invitation to stay on the wait list. You should notify us of your interest by replying directly to this message. We request that you respond no later than 02/03/2010. If we do not hear from you by that date, we will conclude that you no longer wish to be considered.

You are welcome to submit additional materials, such as an updated resume, an additional two page essay on a topic of your choice, or one additional letter of recommendation. This additional letter of recommendation must be submitted through LSAC if you have not yet submitted the maximum of four letters to us through LSAC. You may submit the other materials, including a fifth letter of recommendation, by email to contactadmissions@law.upenn.edu (preferred method) or by fax to (215) 898-9606. If you are currently in undergraduate or graduate school, please submit to LSAC an updated transcript with your most recent grades as soon as it is available. Please do not send updated transcripts directly to our office.

Thank you for your patience during this time and best of luck with the remainder of the admissions season.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cylusr

New

Post by cylusr » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:26 pm

sdfa know?
Last edited by cylusr on Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:27 pm

Is this the same email you got cylusr, or is yours more specific asking for grades and mine is more 'your held'? My email mentions grades, but I dont know if this is a suggestion or a requirement?
Dear XXX,

Thank you for your application to the University of Pennsylvania Law School. The Admissions Committee has completed its preliminary review of your application and has decided to hold your file for further review.

The admissions process at Penn Law is a deliberative process. Every file is read by numerous members of the Admissions Committee. As of this date, your file has been reviewed by at least two members of the Committee and we are impressed with your credentials. We are continuing our review of your file however, and thus have not yet rendered a decision.

Please feel free to submit additional supporting documents, such as one additional letter of recommendation, an updated resume, or an additional two page essay on the topic of your choice. This additional letter of recommendation must be submitted through LSAC if you have not yet submitted the maximum of four letters to us through LSAC. You may submit the other materials, including a fifth letter of recommendation, by email to contactadmissions@law.upenn.edu (preferred method) or by fax to (215) 898-9606. If you are currently in undergraduate or graduate school, please submit to LSAC an updated transcript with your most recent grades as soon as it is available. Please do not send updated transcripts directly to our office. Upon receipt of your transcript, LSAC will automatically send us an updated report.

Our goal is to have all decisions made by the end of April, although most applicants will hear much sooner. Please know that the time it has taken to review your file in no way indicates the final decision. Again, the review process at Penn involves multiple members of the Admissions Committee reviewing each of our 6,200 applications; you can be assured your application materials are receiving a thorough review.

Thank you for your patience during this time and best wishes in the coming months.

Sincerely,

Renee C. Post
Associate Dean

cylusr

New

Post by cylusr » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:27 pm

thalassocrat wrote:

is this good or bad?
It means they want your fall grades. It could be good or bad; I don't think anyone who's gotten a grade request has heard back yet. I'm not sure about that. The waitlist email starts off like this:

"Thank you for your interest in the University of Pennsylvania Law School. The Admissions Committee has completed its review of your application and would like to offer you a position on our wait list."

They make it very obvious.
so this "grade request is better than waitlist?"

ccs224

Bronze

Post by ccs224 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:33 pm

Denied via status checker. Fuck that.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thorntll

Bronze

Post by thorntll » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:37 pm

ccs224 wrote:Denied via status checker. Fuck that.
Ouch. That's a shitty way to tell you.

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:38 pm

thorntll wrote:
I'd rather have it via status checker than in a letter that tells you how wonderful you are but somehow not wonderful enough for them.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:47 pm

Held via email. :|

NancyBotwin

Silver

Post by NancyBotwin » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:49 pm

Anyone know how deep into the WL Penn usually goes?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ccs224

Bronze

Post by ccs224 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:53 pm

managamy wrote:
thorntll wrote:
I'd rather have it via status checker than in a letter that tells you how wonderful you are but somehow not wonderful enough for them.
No, I'd rather the letter. It'd the difference between a "Dear John" and a text message.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:55 pm

Held via email. Still no decisions from NMVPB and submitted in october. :(

jh60405

New

Post by jh60405 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:58 pm

Waitlist 171 3.65. Thought I had a good shot. Don't know if its that my undergrad caught some disrespect, its a tougher admissions cycle, or I overrated my chances coming into this. Oh well . . .

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:59 pm

ccs224 wrote:
No, I'd rather the letter. It'd the difference between a "Dear John" and a text message.
I'd prefer the text message / IM too, to be honest.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Flanker1067

Silver

Post by Flanker1067 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:01 pm

jh60405 wrote:Waitlist 171 3.65. Thought I had a good shot. Don't know if its that my undergrad caught some disrespect, its a tougher admissions cycle, or I overrated my chances coming into this. Oh well . . .
Damn. All I can say is that I hope you messed something up bad, or have no softs at all. Otherwise, I'm not going either (171, 3.5)

calicocat

Silver

Post by calicocat » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:04 pm

managamy wrote:
ccs224 wrote:
I'd prefer the text message / IM too, to be honest.
Good thing you'll never have to experience either

js87

Bronze

Post by js87 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:07 pm

Flanker1067 wrote:
jh60405 wrote:Waitlist 171 3.65. Thought I had a good shot. Don't know if its that my undergrad caught some disrespect, its a tougher admissions cycle, or I overrated my chances coming into this. Oh well . . .
Damn. All I can say is that I hope you messed something up bad, or have no softs at all. Otherwise, I'm not going either (171, 3.5)
WL'd with a 171 and 3.75, but with a retake from a 161. I had decent softs, including founding a non-profit and community volunteering. Also from a poorly ranked undergrad, though. I wonder if it played a role. Very bummed out, Penn was one of my top realistic choices.

rockchalk86

Silver

Post by rockchalk86 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:09 pm

UCR twice. 12/1 and 12/15 but nothing yet... hmmmmmm. Good sign? bad sign?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”