U Penn 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
los blancos

Platinum

Re: U Penn 2010

Post by los blancos » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:22 pm

cylusr wrote:Have any of the people that got asked for Fall Grades heard anything? THanks
Anyone have any idea why or for which applicants they typically request fall grades?

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:52 pm

boilercat wrote:
cylusr wrote:Have any of the people that got asked for Fall Grades heard anything? THanks
Anyone have any idea why or for which applicants they typically request fall grades?
People who they would accept if they had a slightly higher GPA? Numbers of people who got this request would help, but I see no other reason to ask for grades.

cylusr

New

Post by cylusr » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:16 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
boilercat wrote:
People who they would accept if they had a slightly higher GPA? Numbers of people who got this request would help, but I see no other reason to ask for grades.

Any other insight on this. Is it possible that they just don't want your GPA to go down at all? Any people get this request last year and get in?

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:34 pm

cylusr wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
boilercat wrote:

Any other insight on this. Is it possible that they just don't want your GPA to go down at all? Any people get this request last year and get in?
I wouldn't think they are asking for it to see if your GPA went down or not (or else they would have asked me). They have no incentive to do this, as they only report what your LSAC GPA is (and you dont have to update it unless you want to). I may be mistaken on those two points, and if I am I take back my theory on the purpose of the request.

cylusr

New

Post by cylusr » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:37 pm

Anyone have any idea why or for which applicants they typically request fall grades?[/quote]

People who they would accept if they had a slightly higher GPA? Numbers of people who got this request would help, but I see no other reason to ask for grades.[/quote]

Any other insight on this. Is it possible that they just don't want your GPA to go down at all? Any people get this request last year and get in?[/quote]

I wouldn't think they are asking for it to see if your GPA went down or not (or else they would have asked me). They have no incentive to do this, as they only report what your LSAC GPA is (and you dont have to update it unless you want to). I may be mistaken on those two points, and if I am I take back my theory on the purpose of the request.[/quote]

They ask you to update it with LSAC as well

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bluejayk

Bronze

Post by bluejayk » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:27 pm

Wow, status updated today, kinda surprising since it's MLK day. Still UCR, but now it's 1/18 rather than 12/18. Glad they get around to looking at stuff at least once a month.

The Kim Jong illest

Bronze

Post by The Kim Jong illest » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:52 pm

Sigh - I have been looking to buy some Penn Law attire to go full-on douche bag, but the bookstore doesn't seem to sell any online. Lame.

joshhoward

Bronze

Post by joshhoward » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:03 pm

UCR 1/19. skimming through, it seems that it could still be forever before i hear back...right?

ughOSU

Bronze

Post by ughOSU » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:24 pm

The Kim Jong illest wrote:Sigh - I have been looking to buy some Penn Law attire to go full-on douche bag, but the bookstore doesn't seem to sell any online. Lame.
Yea I'm definetely buying some of that shit and parading it around my home town after ASW. I wonder if chicks put out for guys in Penn Law gear....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

The Kim Jong illest

Bronze

Post by The Kim Jong illest » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:37 pm

ughOSU wrote:
The Kim Jong illest wrote:Sigh - I have been looking to buy some Penn Law attire to go full-on douche bag, but the bookstore doesn't seem to sell any online. Lame.
Yea I'm definetely buying some of that shit and parading it around my home town after ASW. I wonder if chicks put out for guys in Penn Law gear....
I'd be all over girls in Penn Law attire, so it only makes sense that it works the other way around.

A Swift

Bronze

Post by A Swift » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:32 am

Is Upenn one of the schools where UCR means they are reviewing the file as opposed to some sort of waitlist?

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:58 am

A Swift wrote:Is Upenn one of the schools where UCR means they are reviewing the file as opposed to some sort of waitlist?
Yes.

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:59 am

The Kim Jong illest wrote:
ughOSU wrote:
I'd be all over girls in Penn Law attire, so it only makes sense that it works the other way around.
All of us have our fetishes. 8)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:29 am

managamy wrote:
A Swift wrote:Is Upenn one of the schools where UCR means they are reviewing the file as opposed to some sort of waitlist?
Yes.

Does it bode well the longer they take, or are the more like William & Mary with a silent WL? If they were going to reject you, would they just outright reject you, or do they wait until a certain time of the year?

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:50 am

kalvano wrote:
managamy wrote:
Yes.

Does it bode well the longer they take, or are the more like William & Mary with a silent WL? If they were going to reject you, would they just outright reject you, or do they wait until a certain time of the year?
I was UCR for about 2 months including the holidays, but I don't know that any pattern has been established. They're not afraid to ding you if they don't love you.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:17 am

managamy wrote:
kalvano wrote:
managamy wrote:
Yes.

I was UCR for about 2 months including the holidays, but I don't know that any pattern has been established. They're not afraid to ding you if they don't love you.

I guess that's good news, considering what a crazy reach Penn is for me. I've been UCR for about two month now.

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:17 pm

UCR as of yesterday. Had submitted about 2 months ago, so it was nice to see some movement.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MahaloMontana

New

Post by MahaloMontana » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:33 pm

my UCR status updated today from mid-December. The consensus is this doesn't mean anything?

fedtaxed

New

Post by fedtaxed » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:49 pm

redhead77 wrote:my UCR status updated today from mid-December. The consensus is this doesn't mean anything?
I'm not sure if it means anything, either, but mine also just was updated to today.

AdmitMePls

New

Post by AdmitMePls » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:12 pm

Okay this might seem like a silly question...

Does anyone else have "Seat Deposit" under their Application Fee in the "Fees" section of the status checker? This might be there for everyone, but I just wanted to check.

I'm currently Under Committee Review as of 1/12. However yesterday was the first day I looked at the status checker since I got the email telling me it existed, so don't ask when it changed to that!

Thanks.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:15 pm

AdmitMePls wrote:Does anyone else have "Seat Deposit" under their Application Fee in the "Fees" section of the status checker?
Yup; it doesn't mean anything.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

democrattotheend

Bronze

Post by democrattotheend » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:29 pm

Argh, still "received and processing" after submitting 12/22. Called to see what was up and she just said it takes a while. It's been almost a month, and on LSN, most other people who submitted when I did went complete last week or earlier. What is going on? It seems like at several schools, my application is being processed more slowly than other people who submitted at the same time, even though I had all my LOR's and transcripts taken care of ahead of time.

The Kim Jong illest

Bronze

Re: Penn Law 2010

Post by The Kim Jong illest » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:31 pm

whataboutbahb wrote:I went complete 10/14.

Soooo anyone else besides me not write a "Why Penn?"? I turned in a diversity statement but couldn't come up with a good 5 year plan for Penn so I figured nothing was better than something weak.
My 5 year was "I don't know, that's why I want a school like Penn that leaves my options open." If you can't do something like that, I don't know what to say.

ughOSU

Bronze

Re: Penn Law 2010

Post by ughOSU » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:32 pm

The Kim Jong illest wrote:
whataboutbahb wrote:I went complete 10/14.

Soooo anyone else besides me not write a "Why Penn?"? I turned in a diversity statement but couldn't come up with a good 5 year plan for Penn so I figured nothing was better than something weak.
My 5 year was "I don't know, that's why I want a school like Penn that leaves my options open." If you can't do something like that, I don't know what to say.
I submitted one essay. It was about why my grades for one semester in college dropped (I actually had a very good reason), and why they should only look at my high LSAT score (had a pretty good reason). It was very lame of me not to even try Penn's art/lit or why penn essays, but whatever, it worked!

e: 5-year, not why penn

rockchalk86

Silver

Post by rockchalk86 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:33 am

OMG... IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just got the call... stats in profile.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”