UCLA?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hypermeganet

Re: UCLA?

Postby hypermeganet » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:05 pm

I applied a week ago and haven't even had an app received email.

rondemarino

Postby rondemarino » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:04 pm

lateforthesky16 wrote:I applied ED last night. My numbers are 168/3.46, so I'm not too confident about my chances, but I figured heck if I'm in waitlist territory anyway I might as well give the ED a shot. I'm hoping UCLA receives my LSAC report by the 15th...I don't know why they wouldn't but I'm naturally paranoid about stuff like that :) Good luck to all of you!!!

In a normal year, I'm sure UCLA would like to bank the 168 and full tuition you are going to pay. There's a chance they think they might be able to move their median to 169.

Postby 02082010 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:18 pm

I got my complete email 10/30 after submitting 10/23. LSAT is above their 75% but my GPA is below 25% and they are GPA heavy so we'll see. URM and out-of-state. I'm hoping to hear in before the end of November.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:07 pm

rondemarino wrote:In a normal year, I'm sure UCLA would like to bank the 168 and full tuition you are going to pay. There's a chance they think they might be able to move their median to 169.

God i hope thats true. even with 3.1 gpa... i will pay FULL PRICE.

jgulia45

Postby jgulia45 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:49 am

this is the last week for UCLA ED's to get their apps in...anybody hoping that they will begin sending out responses earlier than last year?? i think last year it was early december before anybody heard on early decision...

Mosca

Postby Mosca » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:16 am

jgulia45 wrote:this is the last week for UCLA ED's to get their apps in...anybody hoping that they will begin sending out responses earlier than last year?? i think last year it was early december before anybody heard on early decision...

I really hope they start sending out responses this week, the suspense is killing me. On LSN it looks like they have been pretty quiet since 10/30, hopefully that means they are reviewing the ED apps.

trojanfan06

Postby trojanfan06 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:04 pm

Just notified that I'm in woohoo!

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:05 pm

trojanfan06 wrote:Just notified that I'm in woohoo!

But its 8!

Wait...is it 5 for you?

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:08 pm

wow! congrats!!

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:08 pm

Way to go! Email, phone call?

Mosca

Postby Mosca » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:10 pm

Congratulations! What are your stats and when did you go complete?

southxii

Postby southxii » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:27 pm

More info on acceptance would be helpful. But either way, congrats!

(That actually made my day. Seriously, congratulations!)

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:57 pm

Congrats. Crackberry confirmed for me eariler it is notification via snail mail (big binder in mail). Can't wait to get one 8)

Edit: Plus trojanfan is overseas right now, so they likely had to be called to be told they got mail.

trojanfan06

Postby trojanfan06 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:44 am

Yes I am overseas so I was notified by email. My #s are posted on LSN, same name

jgulia45

Postby jgulia45 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:58 am

rondemarino wrote:
lateforthesky16 wrote:I applied ED last night. My numbers are 168/3.46, so I'm not too confident about my chances, but I figured heck if I'm in waitlist territory anyway I might as well give the ED a shot. I'm hoping UCLA receives my LSAC report by the 15th...I don't know why they wouldn't but I'm naturally paranoid about stuff like that :) Good luck to all of you!!!

In a normal year, I'm sure UCLA would like to bank the 168 and full tuition you are going to pay. There's a chance they think they might be able to move their median to 169.

What makes you so confident that they are "striving to move their median" this year and this cycle? I get that everybody is thinking this year is ultra competitive and such, but I just don't know where all this hearsay comes from. Certainly UCLA is not spewing this information out or god forbid their applicant pool would decline. I'm not trying to be rude, I am just confused as to why people are being discouraged based upon information that is probably not even backed by fact. It's definitely not just occurring in this thread, it's everywhere.

iheartucla

Postby iheartucla » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:01 am

ugh I submitted ED on the 1st and got an email saying received-but not one saying complete yet!! Its making me nervous- is it better to call or email them about that?

rondemarino

Postby rondemarino » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:07 am

jgulia45 wrote:
rondemarino wrote:

What makes you so confident that they are "striving to move their median" this year and this cycle? I get that everybody is thinking this year is ultra competitive and such, but I just don't know where all this hearsay comes from. Certainly UCLA is not spewing this information out or god forbid their applicant pool would decline. I'm not trying to be rude, I am just confused as to why people are being discouraged based upon information that is probably not even backed by fact. It's definitely not just occurring in this thread, it's everywhere.

Go to LSAC.org. Click on Research/Data. Click on LSATs administered. See the trends during recession years. Unless you think the increase in LSATs administered is due to people retaking like crazy because of a recession, you're left with the inescapable conclusion that the number of applicants goes up. Further, browse the research papers on LSAC. They looked at how medians moved sharply as the number of applicants increased during previous recessions.

Wait for LSAC to publish the number of Sept. takers. If its over 20%, start worrying. I have no desire to run through the math, but on average, a 30% increase in applicants (at all score levels) is enough to move LSAT medians a point.

p.s: There's a chance (my words) =/= confident or certain.

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:11 am

rondemarino wrote:
jgulia45 wrote:
rondemarino wrote:

Go to LSAC.org. Click on Research/Data. Click on LSATs administered. See the trends during recession years. Unless you think the increase in LSATs administered is due to people retaking like crazy because of a recession, you're left with the inescapable conclusion that the number of applicants goes up. Further, browse the research papers on LSAC. They looked at how medians moved sharply as the number of applicants increased during previous recessions.

Wait for LSAC to publish the number of Sept. takers. If its over 20%, start worrying. I have no desire to run through the math, but on average, a 30% increase in applicants (at all score levels) is enough to move LSAT medians a point.

p.s: There's a chance (my words) =/= confident or certain.

rondemarino, I'd say your analysis is good. To add to the empirical evidence here, from anecdotal evidence (i.e. friends, friends of friends, colleagues, etc.) it seems like EVERYONE is trying to get into law school during this recession. It's going to be nasty, competitive this year and in the next couple of years at least. What's the first thing a young professional thinks of when they lose their job? Go back to school.. Well, a lot of young ones are losing their jobs right now..

-HL

p.s. Let's hope they consider med school, business school, or something other than law......

calidreamin

Postby calidreamin » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:04 am

Was notified of admission last night via phone call. See profile for LSN stats if you're curious.

Apple Tree

Postby Apple Tree » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:10 am

calidreamin wrote:Was notified of admission last night via phone call. See profile for LSN stats if you're curious.

Congrats!!

calidreamin

Postby calidreamin » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:14 am

Thanks Apple Tree! As you can tell from my username, this was one I was pretty happy to get.

jgulia45

Postby jgulia45 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:24 am

Extremely jealous Calidreamin! Just sittin' by the phone daily hoping to see a California area code :)

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:58 pm

calidreamin wrote:Was notified of admission last night via phone call. See profile for LSN stats if you're curious.

Congrats. Looks like you are going to have a very good cycle.

Postby 02082010 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:05 pm

:? We both went complete on 10/30 but I have yet to hear anything. My LSAT is higher than yours but my GPA is much lower :oops: URM though and LSP has me as "consider." My fingers are crossed!

Postby 02082010 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:09 pm

Does anyone know how UCLA notifies rejects/WL? Immediate snail mail or do they defer until near the end of the cycle?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”