UCLA?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
hypermeganet
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:34 am

Re: UCLA?

Postby hypermeganet » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:05 pm

I applied a week ago and haven't even had an app received email.

User avatar
rondemarino
Posts: 529
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:29 am

Re: UCLA?

Postby rondemarino » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:04 pm

lateforthesky16 wrote:I applied ED last night. My numbers are 168/3.46, so I'm not too confident about my chances, but I figured heck if I'm in waitlist territory anyway I might as well give the ED a shot. I'm hoping UCLA receives my LSAC report by the 15th...I don't know why they wouldn't but I'm naturally paranoid about stuff like that :) Good luck to all of you!!!


In a normal year, I'm sure UCLA would like to bank the 168 and full tuition you are going to pay. There's a chance they think they might be able to move their median to 169.

02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby 02082010 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:18 pm

I got my complete email 10/30 after submitting 10/23. LSAT is above their 75% but my GPA is below 25% and they are GPA heavy so we'll see. URM and out-of-state. I'm hoping to hear in before the end of November.

finalaspects
Posts: 1866
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:21 am

Re: UCLA?

Postby finalaspects » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:07 pm

rondemarino wrote:In a normal year, I'm sure UCLA would like to bank the 168 and full tuition you are going to pay. There's a chance they think they might be able to move their median to 169.


God i hope thats true. even with 3.1 gpa... i will pay FULL PRICE.

User avatar
jgulia45
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:03 am

Re: UCLA?

Postby jgulia45 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:49 am

this is the last week for UCLA ED's to get their apps in...anybody hoping that they will begin sending out responses earlier than last year?? i think last year it was early december before anybody heard on early decision...

Mosca
Posts: 251
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:10 am

Re: UCLA?

Postby Mosca » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:16 am

jgulia45 wrote:this is the last week for UCLA ED's to get their apps in...anybody hoping that they will begin sending out responses earlier than last year?? i think last year it was early december before anybody heard on early decision...

I really hope they start sending out responses this week, the suspense is killing me. On LSN it looks like they have been pretty quiet since 10/30, hopefully that means they are reviewing the ED apps.

trojanfan06
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:35 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby trojanfan06 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:04 pm

Just notified that I'm in woohoo!

Pearalegal
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:50 am

Re: UCLA?

Postby Pearalegal » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:05 pm

trojanfan06 wrote:Just notified that I'm in woohoo!


But its 8!

Wait...is it 5 for you?

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby Veritas » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:08 pm

trojanfan06 wrote:Just notified that I'm in woohoo!

wow! congrats!!

oneforship
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:17 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby oneforship » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:08 pm

trojanfan06 wrote:Just notified that I'm in woohoo!


Way to go! Email, phone call?

Mosca
Posts: 251
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:10 am

Re: UCLA?

Postby Mosca » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:10 pm

trojanfan06 wrote:Just notified that I'm in woohoo!

Congratulations! What are your stats and when did you go complete?

southxii
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:11 am

Re: UCLA?

Postby southxii » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:27 pm

More info on acceptance would be helpful. But either way, congrats!

(That actually made my day. Seriously, congratulations!)

CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby CyLaw » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:57 pm

Congrats. Crackberry confirmed for me eariler it is notification via snail mail (big binder in mail). Can't wait to get one 8)

Edit: Plus trojanfan is overseas right now, so they likely had to be called to be told they got mail.

trojanfan06
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:35 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby trojanfan06 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:44 am

Yes I am overseas so I was notified by email. My #s are posted on LSN, same name

User avatar
jgulia45
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:03 am

Re: UCLA?

Postby jgulia45 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:58 am

rondemarino wrote:
lateforthesky16 wrote:I applied ED last night. My numbers are 168/3.46, so I'm not too confident about my chances, but I figured heck if I'm in waitlist territory anyway I might as well give the ED a shot. I'm hoping UCLA receives my LSAC report by the 15th...I don't know why they wouldn't but I'm naturally paranoid about stuff like that :) Good luck to all of you!!!


In a normal year, I'm sure UCLA would like to bank the 168 and full tuition you are going to pay. There's a chance they think they might be able to move their median to 169.


What makes you so confident that they are "striving to move their median" this year and this cycle? I get that everybody is thinking this year is ultra competitive and such, but I just don't know where all this hearsay comes from. Certainly UCLA is not spewing this information out or god forbid their applicant pool would decline. I'm not trying to be rude, I am just confused as to why people are being discouraged based upon information that is probably not even backed by fact. It's definitely not just occurring in this thread, it's everywhere.

iheartucla
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:45 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby iheartucla » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:01 am

ugh I submitted ED on the 1st and got an email saying received-but not one saying complete yet!! Its making me nervous- is it better to call or email them about that?

User avatar
rondemarino
Posts: 529
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:29 am

Re: UCLA?

Postby rondemarino » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:07 am

jgulia45 wrote:
rondemarino wrote:
lateforthesky16 wrote:I applied ED last night. My numbers are 168/3.46, so I'm not too confident about my chances, but I figured heck if I'm in waitlist territory anyway I might as well give the ED a shot. I'm hoping UCLA receives my LSAC report by the 15th...I don't know why they wouldn't but I'm naturally paranoid about stuff like that :) Good luck to all of you!!!


In a normal year, I'm sure UCLA would like to bank the 168 and full tuition you are going to pay. There's a chance they think they might be able to move their median to 169.


What makes you so confident that they are "striving to move their median" this year and this cycle? I get that everybody is thinking this year is ultra competitive and such, but I just don't know where all this hearsay comes from. Certainly UCLA is not spewing this information out or god forbid their applicant pool would decline. I'm not trying to be rude, I am just confused as to why people are being discouraged based upon information that is probably not even backed by fact. It's definitely not just occurring in this thread, it's everywhere.


Go to LSAC.org. Click on Research/Data. Click on LSATs administered. See the trends during recession years. Unless you think the increase in LSATs administered is due to people retaking like crazy because of a recession, you're left with the inescapable conclusion that the number of applicants goes up. Further, browse the research papers on LSAC. They looked at how medians moved sharply as the number of applicants increased during previous recessions.

Wait for LSAC to publish the number of Sept. takers. If its over 20%, start worrying. I have no desire to run through the math, but on average, a 30% increase in applicants (at all score levels) is enough to move LSAT medians a point.

p.s: There's a chance (my words) =/= confident or certain.

User avatar
Hopefullawstudent
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:35 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:11 am

rondemarino wrote:
jgulia45 wrote:
rondemarino wrote:
lateforthesky16 wrote:I applied ED last night. My numbers are 168/3.46, so I'm not too confident about my chances, but I figured heck if I'm in waitlist territory anyway I might as well give the ED a shot. I'm hoping UCLA receives my LSAC report by the 15th...I don't know why they wouldn't but I'm naturally paranoid about stuff like that :) Good luck to all of you!!!


In a normal year, I'm sure UCLA would like to bank the 168 and full tuition you are going to pay. There's a chance they think they might be able to move their median to 169.


What makes you so confident that they are "striving to move their median" this year and this cycle? I get that everybody is thinking this year is ultra competitive and such, but I just don't know where all this hearsay comes from. Certainly UCLA is not spewing this information out or god forbid their applicant pool would decline. I'm not trying to be rude, I am just confused as to why people are being discouraged based upon information that is probably not even backed by fact. It's definitely not just occurring in this thread, it's everywhere.


Go to LSAC.org. Click on Research/Data. Click on LSATs administered. See the trends during recession years. Unless you think the increase in LSATs administered is due to people retaking like crazy because of a recession, you're left with the inescapable conclusion that the number of applicants goes up. Further, browse the research papers on LSAC. They looked at how medians moved sharply as the number of applicants increased during previous recessions.

Wait for LSAC to publish the number of Sept. takers. If its over 20%, start worrying. I have no desire to run through the math, but on average, a 30% increase in applicants (at all score levels) is enough to move LSAT medians a point.

p.s: There's a chance (my words) =/= confident or certain.


rondemarino, I'd say your analysis is good. To add to the empirical evidence here, from anecdotal evidence (i.e. friends, friends of friends, colleagues, etc.) it seems like EVERYONE is trying to get into law school during this recession. It's going to be nasty, competitive this year and in the next couple of years at least. What's the first thing a young professional thinks of when they lose their job? Go back to school.. Well, a lot of young ones are losing their jobs right now..

-HL

p.s. Let's hope they consider med school, business school, or something other than law......

calidreamin
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:16 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby calidreamin » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:04 am

Was notified of admission last night via phone call. See profile for LSN stats if you're curious.

Apple Tree
Posts: 419
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:19 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby Apple Tree » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:10 am

calidreamin wrote:Was notified of admission last night via phone call. See profile for LSN stats if you're curious.


Congrats!!

calidreamin
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:16 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby calidreamin » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:14 am

Thanks Apple Tree! As you can tell from my username, this was one I was pretty happy to get.

User avatar
jgulia45
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:03 am

Re: UCLA?

Postby jgulia45 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:24 am

Extremely jealous Calidreamin! Just sittin' by the phone daily hoping to see a California area code :)

CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby CyLaw » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:58 pm

calidreamin wrote:Was notified of admission last night via phone call. See profile for LSN stats if you're curious.


Congrats. Looks like you are going to have a very good cycle.

02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby 02082010 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:05 pm

calidreamin wrote:Was notified of admission last night via phone call. See profile for LSN stats if you're curious.


:? We both went complete on 10/30 but I have yet to hear anything. My LSAT is higher than yours but my GPA is much lower :oops: URM though and LSP has me as "consider." My fingers are crossed!

02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby 02082010 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:09 pm

Does anyone know how UCLA notifies rejects/WL? Immediate snail mail or do they defer until near the end of the cycle?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ad34964n, jackstraw92, jer0689, laurlaur2112, lawschoolapp1987, smashbash, Thomas Hagan, ESQ., tinafeyclone and 41 guests