UCLA?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Inygma

Re: UCLA?

Postby Inygma » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:31 pm

jay115 wrote:
Mosca wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
Mosca wrote:Appreciate it. I definitely wouldn't mind going to USC, I hope my URMness and softs count for more there.

wait a minute... you have better stats than me and you're a URM? and yet you got waitlisted?

should i just be expecting a rejection instead of a waitlist even?... guess i'll find out in a couple of more weeks...

Half URM, but I attended a TTT and UCLA seems to put a lot of emphasis on quality of UG. If you avoided the waitlist today and the rejections earlier in the week then I would say you have a decent shot. At least they're taking more time to look at your app.

haha im literally laughing out loud in the library because im so scared for the rest of us ED applicants who haven't heard back yet...or at least scared for myself. you have a significantly higher LSAT than I do as "partial URM" and jgulia45 got waitlisted at 167/3.73, which i believe is almost perfectly at UCLA's medians.

i wonder if its because they sent me a letter instead. phone calls for acceptances, emails for waitlists, and letters for rejections. wouldnt that be fun!

You hear that? It is the sound of my chances shattering!

I knew I should of retook the LSAT, stupid 163.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:47 pm

Inygma wrote:You hear that? It is the sound of my chances shattering!

We both survived the first rejection and waitlisting wave. We still have a chance. if they accepted both of us they would have a 168/3.71!

jay115

Postby jay115 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:03 pm

:)
Last edited by jay115 on Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:06 pm

jay115 wrote:
finalaspects wrote:

We both survived the first rejection and waitlisting wave. We still have a chance. if they accepted both of us they would have a 168/3.71!

Who else is out there (besides the three of us) is an ED applicant waiting for a decision with an LSAT/GPA between their 25th and 50th percentiles? Or 50th and 75th percentiles? I need hope that there still exists hope for more possibilites of ED acceptances, not just denials and waitlists from westwood...

quite a lot still i believe... there will be another wave of rejections and waitlisting in the weeks to come.

lateforthesky16

Postby lateforthesky16 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:09 pm

jay115 wrote:
finalaspects wrote:

Who else is out there (besides the three of us) is an ED applicant waiting for a decision with an LSAT/GPA between their 25th and 50th percentiles? Or 50th and 75th percentiles? I need hope that there still exists hope for more possibilites of ED acceptances, not just denials and waitlists from westwood...

I'm still waiting (and checking my email constantly!)

rondemarino

Postby rondemarino » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:13 pm

jay115 wrote:
finalaspects wrote:

If you're below the 50th in both categories, and aren't a VIP's son/daughter, an acceptance is quite unlikely. jgulia, who has fantastic numbers, probably got WL'ed because of one measly point on the LSAT (167-->168).

p.s: I am waiting on an ED decision, above 75th LSAT, below 25th GPA.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:18 pm

rondemarino wrote:If you're below the 50th in both categories, and aren't a VIP's son/daughter, an acceptance is quite unlikely. jgulia, who has fantastic numbers, probably got WL'ed because of one measly point on the LSAT (167-->168).

I'm guessing you really wanted to go to school in CA? with your numbers wouldn't you have a fairly good chance at some t14?

rondemarino

Postby rondemarino » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:23 pm

finalaspects wrote:
rondemarino wrote:If you're below the 50th in both categories, and aren't a VIP's son/daughter, an acceptance is quite unlikely. jgulia, who has fantastic numbers, probably got WL'ed because of one measly point on the LSAT (167-->168).

I'm guessing you really wanted to go to school in CA? with your numbers wouldn't you have a fairly good chance at some t14?

That's debatable, but possibly. It comes down to money for me. I'd rather have gone to Boalt or Michigan (might even get in at Michigan). I will be able to clerk part-time at my firm during the school year (2L and 3L at least) and will probably incur only minimal debt. Plus, SoCal is my target destination and I don't think I need the fancy diploma.

jay115

Postby jay115 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:30 pm

rondemarino wrote:
jay115 wrote:
finalaspects wrote:

If you're below the 50th in both categories, and aren't a VIP's son/daughter, an acceptance is quite unlikely. jgulia, who has fantastic numbers, probably got WL'ed because of one measly point on the LSAT (167-->168).

well thank god im obama's son. kidding, obviously.

deem

Postby deem » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:44 pm

lateforthesky16 wrote:
jay115 wrote:
finalaspects wrote:

I'm still waiting (and checking my email constantly!)

You should get a blackberry. Every single time my phone vibrates, I get anxious (especially since I have two email accounts on it, and only one is my school email where they would contact me) haha

ViP

Postby ViP » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:23 pm

So... With regard to waitlists and extra LORs...

UCLA says "they should only be sent if you strongly believe that they illuminate substantially different aspects to your candidacy not covered by the previous letters."

Am I the only one slightly taken aback by the strength of some of those words?

Only... Strongly... Substantially...

What's the consensus here? Do you think it can actually hurt to send a new LOR if you're unsure whether or not it's as unique and revelatory as UCLA seems to hope?

lateforthesky16

Postby lateforthesky16 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:38 pm

[/quote]

You should get a blackberry. Every single time my phone vibrates, I get anxious (especially since I have two email accounts on it, and only one is my school email where they would contact me) haha[/quote]

haha well the funny thing is that I have my email account hooked up to my phone, so I get a text message whenever I get an email from a school I applied to. You'd think this would lessen the stress, but it doesn't. I still check my email every chance I get!

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:43 pm

ViP wrote:So... With regard to waitlists and extra LORs...

UCLA says "they should only be sent if you strongly believe that they illuminate substantially different aspects to your candidacy not covered by the previous letters."

Am I the only one slightly taken aback by the strength of some of those words?

Only... Strongly... Substantially...

What's the consensus here? Do you think it can actually hurt to send a new LOR if you're unsure whether or not it's as unique and revelatory as UCLA seems to hope?

I think it depends on who your new recommendation comes from. If your recommendations were mostly academic, I think it would be good for them to hear from someone who knows you outside of academics as well (which is what I'm planning on doing - having my supervisor at my internship write a letter on my behalf) or vice versa (they actually like academic recommendations better). I don't think it could ever hurt, as long as it's someone who knows you and can vouch for your positive aspects that can't be seen otherwise in your application. Good luck :)

jay115

Postby jay115 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:19 pm

Last edited by jay115 on Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mroberts3

Postby Mroberts3 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:22 pm

rondemarino wrote:
jay115 wrote:
finalaspects wrote:

\

yeah, jgulia's WL was a blow to me...167/3.66. Below both medians by just a tiny bit. One. Stupid. Point.

(I'm not ED, but the selection criteria is probably fairly similar.)

deem

Postby deem » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:49 pm

I know this is random, but did anyone who has been checking the LSN graph for UCLA notice that the acceptance for a person with a 167 and a high gpa (I think it was above 3.8 ) is gone from the graph? It doesn't really mean anything, I just wanted to make sure that I'm not seeing things from checking it too often haha

jay115

Postby jay115 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:03 pm

Last edited by jay115 on Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

jgulia45

Postby jgulia45 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:04 am

rondemarino wrote:
jay115 wrote:
finalaspects wrote:

they just waitlisted a splitter w/ a 170 and 2.99....

tintin

Postby tintin » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:08 am

still haven't heard from UCLA. RD, complete in late Oct, 168/3.9...should I be looking forward to waitlist/rejection at this point?

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:21 am

tintin wrote:still haven't heard from UCLA. RD, complete in late Oct, 168/3.9...should I be looking forward to waitlist/rejection at this point?

I'd bet good money that you'll get in and I won't.

JetstoRJC

Postby JetstoRJC » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:37 am

I went complete 10/19, have a 171 3.75, and have not heard anything from UCLA yet either. I am hoping that doesn't mean we are heading for waitlist/rejection territory. I am from the West and would love an option of staying somewhat close to home.

ilovelawapps

Postby ilovelawapps » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:47 am

JetstoRJC wrote:I went complete 10/19, have a 171 3.75, and have not heard anything from UCLA yet either. I am hoping that doesn't mean we are heading for waitlist/rejection territory. I am from the West and would love an option of staying somewhat close to home.

Theres no way you wouldn't get in.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:48 am

jgulia45 wrote:they just waitlisted a splitter w/ a 170 and 2.99....

ouch.... just noticed this too... i guess they don't want all splitters... my light is getting dimmer and dimmer.
Last edited by finalaspects on Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:49 am

JetstoRJC wrote:I went complete 10/19, have a 171 3.75, and have not heard anything from UCLA yet either. I am hoping that doesn't mean we are heading for waitlist/rejection territory. I am from the West and would love an option of staying somewhat close to home.

Yuppers, I'm in the same boat (higher GPA, 170 LSAT). Heard nothing since getting the complete email 10/16.

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:49 am

finalaspects wrote:
jgulia45 wrote:they just waitlisted a splitter w/ a 170 and 2.99....

ouch.... just noticed this too... i guess they don't want all splitters... my light is getting dimmer and dimmer.

I thought they didn't want any?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”