UCLA?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rondemarino

Re: UCLA?

Postby rondemarino » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:37 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:
rondemarino wrote:say wha?

It's hardly a terrible GPA if you're trying to find a job in our respective fields or get a decent graduate degree.

Ah.

No shit. LS admissions is f-ed up.

rondemarino

Postby rondemarino » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:39 pm

I'm gonna write that stupid 4-page PS for Berkeley. Who knows? Tis' the season for splitters in Berkeley?

summerschooled

Postby summerschooled » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:41 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
rondemarino wrote:Ok. What is with all the low GPAs (low relative to Boalt in year's past) making into Boalt this year? (link) Maybe I should apply.....

:shock:

wtf, somebody with my LSAT but a lower GPA has gotten in, holy crap. I thought my ~3.5 GPA was basically an auto-reject; didn't even bother to apply.

Seriously, I'm starting to wonder whether I should've shot them an application... Oh well, I don't think I've got it in me to rework my PS now anyway.

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:47 pm

I threw them an app anyway because I like to waste my money on hopeless dreams.

summerschooled

Postby summerschooled » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:50 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:I threw them an app anyway because I like to waste my money on hopeless dreams.

It seems that's what law school's all about.

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:49 pm

summerschooled wrote:
shadowfrost000 wrote:I threw them an app anyway because I like to waste my money on hopeless dreams.

It seems that's what law school's all about.

+1

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:10 pm

Mosca wrote:Appreciate it. I definitely wouldn't mind going to USC, I hope my URMness and softs count for more there.

wait a minute... you have better stats than me and you're a URM? and yet you got waitlisted?

should i just be expecting a rejection instead of a waitlist even?... guess i'll find out in a couple of more weeks...

Mosca

Postby Mosca » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:15 pm

Last edited by Mosca on Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jay115

Postby jay115 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:20 am

Mosca wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
Mosca wrote:Appreciate it. I definitely wouldn't mind going to USC, I hope my URMness and softs count for more there.

wait a minute... you have better stats than me and you're a URM? and yet you got waitlisted?

should i just be expecting a rejection instead of a waitlist even?... guess i'll find out in a couple of more weeks...

Half URM, but I attended a TTT and UCLA seems to put a lot of emphasis on quality of UG. If you avoided the waitlist today and the rejections earlier in the week then I would say you have a decent shot. At least they're taking more time to look at your app.

haha im literally laughing out loud in the library because im so scared for the rest of us ED applicants who haven't heard back yet...or at least scared for myself. you have a significantly higher LSAT than I do as "partial URM" and jgulia45 got waitlisted at 167/3.73, which i believe is almost perfectly at UCLA's medians.

i wonder if its because they sent me a letter instead. phone calls for acceptances, emails for waitlists, and letters for rejections. wouldnt that be fun!

brewinbruin

Postby brewinbruin » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:39 am

AngryAvocado wrote:
ughOSU wrote:
brewinbruin wrote:"UCLA doesn't do this for EDers. If you ED you're either accepted, rejected, or waitlisted. No deferral to the regular applicant pool."

not true--UCLA law does defer to the regular admission pool. when I spoke with an admissions officer at UCLA law he said the best possible scenario that can come from applying early decision is being deferred (this assumes that you are admitted with the regular pool)

What? Why not just apply RD?

I think he's trying to say that ED people might have an edge over RD applicants with similar numbers since they obviously love the school enough to apply ED, but they also get considered for $$ (however unlikely it may be) since they aren't bound to attend.

That, or the admissions officer was admitted after being deferred ED and is insecure about it. :lol:

exactly. being deferred to regular decision gives greater latitude in scholarship bargaining, and they know you applied early decision and are committed to that school. that being said, admission through ED isn't bad, and sure is better than rejection through RD.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:53 am

I went complete today. <3 <3 <3

John J. Rambo, Esq.

Postby John J. Rambo, Esq. » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:57 am

Good luck cupidity. I applied late October, complete mid-November. No decision yet.

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:02 am

applied 11/11, complete 11/20. Nothing since then...at least I haven't been rejected yet (as far as I know)

jgulia45

Postby jgulia45 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:06 am

jay115 wrote:
Mosca wrote:
finalaspects wrote:

Half URM, but I attended a TTT and UCLA seems to put a lot of emphasis on quality of UG. If you avoided the waitlist today and the rejections earlier in the week then I would say you have a decent shot. At least they're taking more time to look at your app.

haha im literally laughing out loud in the library because im so scared for the rest of us ED applicants who haven't heard back yet...or at least scared for myself. you have a significantly higher LSAT than I do as "partial URM" and jgulia45 got waitlisted at 167/3.73, which i believe is almost perfectly at UCLA's medians.

i wonder if its because they sent me a letter instead. phone calls for acceptances, emails for waitlists, and letters for rejections. wouldnt that be fun!

probably a contributing factor to why i got waitlisted is because i'm out of state...i'm actually not as bummed as i thought i'd be.

jay115

Postby jay115 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:56 am

jgulia45 wrote:
jay115 wrote:
Mosca wrote:Half URM, but I attended a TTT and UCLA seems to put a lot of emphasis on quality of UG. If you avoided the waitlist today and the rejections earlier in the week then I would say you have a decent shot. At least they're taking more time to look at your app.

probably a contributing factor to why i got waitlisted is because i'm out of state...i'm actually not as bummed as i thought i'd be.

UCLA says residency doesn't play a factor into their decisions. but yeah - im assuming from your avatar you already got into Texas.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:42 am

jay115 wrote:
jgulia45 wrote:
jay115 wrote:
Mosca wrote:Half URM, but I attended a TTT and UCLA seems to put a lot of emphasis on quality of UG. If you avoided the waitlist today and the rejections earlier in the week then I would say you have a decent shot. At least they're taking more time to look at your app.

UCLA says residency doesn't play a factor into their decisions. but yeah - im assuming from your avatar you already got into Texas.

I think the stats still played a major part in the decision. As close as jgulia45 was to UCLA medians in both LSAT and GPA, it was lower than both of them. In other words it would have brought down UCLA's medians in both counts. # Median LSAT: 168 # Median GPA: 3.77

However, with Texas jgulia45 is actually above or at both medians. It would mean that it would raise or keep both Texas' lsat and gpa medians. # Median LSAT: 167 # Median GPA: 3.71

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:58 am

Looking at last year's ED trend on LSN, it seems like there will still be more waves of rejections and waitlisting. Rejections can happen any time, including at the very last second or early january. While another mass waitlisting wave will most likely occur again in the middle of the month and then again at the end of the month.

Last known acceptance last year was pretty much right before xmas via phone call.

Slansky

Postby Slansky » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:58 pm

So if I applied RD, should I be pacing around waiting to hear something since a few others already did, or should I still be expecting to wait until February as they said I should? In other words, for you stats-mongers, am I more likely to hear now-ish since I went complete 10/20, or could I still end up waiting for weeks and weeks?

This is the worst... I'm nervous because I know the decision could come anytime, but I don't have the calm assurance that in X amount of time I'll know and it'll be over.

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:01 pm

I received my waitlist decision yesterday via e-mail from Dean Schwartz. (ED applicant). Getting pretty nervous reading waitlist forums for last year's applicants because it seems like many people didn't hear from them right up until mid-August...

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:02 pm

Slansky wrote:So if I applied RD, should I be pacing around waiting to hear something since a few others already did, or should I still be expecting to wait until February as they said I should? In other words, for you stats-mongers, am I more likely to hear now-ish since I went complete 10/20, or could I still end up waiting for weeks and weeks?

This is the worst... I'm nervous because I know the decision could come anytime, but I don't have the calm assurance that in X amount of time I'll know and it'll be over.

if 170/3.9 is your stats, you may hear back sooner then most people. UCLA doesn't follow first come first serve, as if an applicant is very lucrative they may offer you an acceptance at any time. Then again you still may have to wait a few weeks but you never know.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:04 pm

msch0i wrote:I received my waitlist decision yesterday via e-mail from Dean Schwartz. (ED applicant). Getting pretty nervous reading waitlist forums for last year's applicants because it seems like many people didn't hear from them right up until mid-August...

What were your stats? If i remember correctly people say that its very difficult to get a positive response after getting waitlisted. Apparently only 3 people from LSN last year got accepted after being waitlisted... All 3 had a 3.8GPA and LSAT ranging from 164-167

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:13 pm

finalaspects wrote:
msch0i wrote:I received my waitlist decision yesterday via e-mail from Dean Schwartz. (ED applicant). Getting pretty nervous reading waitlist forums for last year's applicants because it seems like many people didn't hear from them right up until mid-August...

What were your stats? If i remember correctly people say that its very difficult to get a positive response after getting waitlisted. Apparently only 3 people from LSN last year got accepted after being waitlisted... All 3 had a 3.8GPA and LSAT ranging from 164-167

My stats weren't great...3.81GPA/160lsat at UCLA undergrad. I'm basically riding on academic honors (honors program) and pertinent jobs/extracurriculars/recommendations. UCLA was always my first choice but when I got my lsat score I pretty much gave up hope and submitted the app as a hail mary attempt. Very surprised at the waitlist decision, it just sucks that I'll probably wait until August and not hear anything :( Not getting my hopes too high, for obvious reasons.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:21 pm

msch0i wrote:
finalaspects wrote:

My stats weren't great...3.81GPA/160lsat at UCLA undergrad. I'm basically riding on academic honors (honors program) and pertinent jobs/extracurriculars/recommendations. UCLA was always my first choice but when I got my lsat score I pretty much gave up hope and submitted the app as a hail mary attempt. Very surprised at the waitlist decision, it just sucks that I'll probably wait until August and not hear anything :( Not getting my hopes too high, for obvious reasons.

Retake? They may have waitlisted you solely because they think you might retake. What do you have to lose, other than $136 or whatever and a little time?

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:27 pm

crackberry wrote:
msch0i wrote:

Retake? They may have waitlisted you solely because they think you might retake. What do you have to lose, other than $136 or whatever and a little time?

they also love accepting students from their own undergrad and you do have the 3.8 gpa going for you. Like crackberry said, take the lsat again and raise your lsat score. The higher you get, the more likely you'll get off the waitlist.

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:31 pm

finalaspects wrote:
crackberry wrote:
msch0i wrote:

they also love accepting students from their own undergrad and you do have the 3.8 gpa going for you. Like crackberry said, take the lsat again and raise your lsat score. The higher you get, the more likely you'll get off the waitlist.

Thanks for the tips. I was def. considering retaking the LSAT, just a matter of when. :)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”