UCLA?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rondemarino

Re: UCLA?

Postby rondemarino » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:10 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:
rondemarino wrote:
shadowfrost000 wrote:I'm kinda wishing I'd EDed to UCLA.

Penn is more likely to get you a job. :D

Yeah, you're right, it was just a fleeting infatuation with California.

It is awesome in SoCal. QoL >>>> employment :D

a male human

Postby a male human » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:15 pm

Some of these people rejected from UCLA submitted it later than I did but got the decision already. Maybe I'm on the fence and they need more time?

SHARK WEEK!

Postby SHARK WEEK! » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:18 am

How are people finding out their decisions? Phone call? Snail mail? Email? Do you think we'll see a big "wave" before mid December?

jay115

Postby jay115 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:26 am

a male human wrote:Some of these people rejected from UCLA submitted it later than I did but got the decision already. Maybe I'm on the fence and they need more time?

A lot of people are in the same boat. I completed 10/19/09, and its now december. i have a sinking feeling they're not going to reject me outright, but defer me to regular decision. (obv. id prefer a deferral to a waitlist, but im merely being dramatic in emphasizing my desire for a decision, preferably a positive one).

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:39 am

jay115 wrote:A lot of people are in the same boat. I completed 10/19/09, and its now december. i have a sinking feeling they're not going to reject me outright, but defer me to regular decision. (obv. id prefer a deferral to a waitlist, but im merely being dramatic in emphasizing my desire for a decision, preferably a positive one).

For reference another person on LSN got their rejection letter today. 162//3.8. Which makes it the 5th rejection on LSN thus far. The other numbers are

164/3.57
165/3.58
162/3.37
164/3.57

jay115

Postby jay115 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:10 am

finalaspects wrote:
jay115 wrote:A lot of people are in the same boat. I completed 10/19/09, and its now december. i have a sinking feeling they're not going to reject me outright, but defer me to regular decision. (obv. id prefer a deferral to a waitlist, but im merely being dramatic in emphasizing my desire for a decision, preferably a positive one).

For reference another person on LSN got their rejection letter today. 162//3.8. Which makes it the 5th rejection on LSN thus far. The other numbers are

164/3.57
165/3.58
162/3.37
164/3.57

Yea I've been assuming that I'll get dinged w/ my numbers, but I've been surprised that I haven't received a letter thus far; it might be that I happen to go to college on the other side of the country, and my sad rejection letter is stuck somewhere on a UPS truck in iowa.

i was surprised fordham accepted me so quickly with my numbers, so i guess i have to wait with everyone else for the mass of decisions for ED apps in mid-december. UCLA, why dont you have a status checker?? *shakes fist* but not really because i love ucla. =)

Mosca

Postby Mosca » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:14 am

UCLA doesn't do this for EDers. If you ED you're either accepted, rejected, or waitlisted. No deferral to the regular applicant pool.

rondemarino

Postby rondemarino » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:18 am

Mosca wrote:

UCLA doesn't do this for EDers. If you ED you're either accepted, rejected, or waitlisted. No deferral to the regular applicant pool.

That and its unclear how a deferral is materially different from a WL. I guess the existence of a notification deadline?

jay115

Postby jay115 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:34 am

rondemarino wrote:
Mosca wrote:

That and its unclear how a deferral is materially different from a WL. I guess the existence of a notification deadline?

Oh thats a bit of a disappointment. I suppose the material difference is a deferral to the regular decision pool gives you (theoretically anyways) an additional bite at the apple (one could be deferred to regular decision to be considered as a regular applicant, then waitlisted) rather than being sent directly to the waitlist land of no return.

However, you're probably right; in practice, ED applicants w/ numbers that would probably be admit/waitlist/reject would most likely receive such a decision, regardless of whether they are deferred or not.

In a way, I'm glad UCLA doesn't dither and play hard to get with the deferral process. They'll tell you if they like you or not straight up. Unlike Cornell, which has contributed to like 20 pages of hysterics on that thread.

LvingLegend

Postby LvingLegend » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:40 am

Finally went complete today. Hopefully its not to late for ED

brewinbruin

Postby brewinbruin » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:18 am

"UCLA doesn't do this for EDers. If you ED you're either accepted, rejected, or waitlisted. No deferral to the regular applicant pool."

not true--UCLA law does defer to the regular admission pool. when I spoke with an admissions officer at UCLA law he said the best possible scenario that can come from applying early decision is being deferred (this assumes that you are admitted with the regular pool)

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:40 am

jay115 wrote:In a way, I'm glad UCLA doesn't dither and play hard to get with the deferral process. They'll tell you if they like you or not straight up. Unlike Cornell, which has contributed to like 20 pages of hysterics on that thread.

What's wrong with hysterics? :P

Mosca

Postby Mosca » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:59 am

brewinbruin wrote:"UCLA doesn't do this for EDers. If you ED you're either accepted, rejected, or waitlisted. No deferral to the regular applicant pool."

not true--UCLA law does defer to the regular admission pool. when I spoke with an admissions officer at UCLA law he said the best possible scenario that can come from applying early decision is being deferred (this assumes that you are admitted with the regular pool)

Wouldn't being admitted outright be the best possible scenario?

UCLA Website wrote:If an applicant is denied to the Early Decision Program, the decision is final for fall 2010. There will not be a re-review of the file during the regular admissions cycle. Denied and waitlisted applicants can continue to consider other law schools.

I took this to mean there were no deferrals. If you are deferred that means that you were denied to the Early Decision Program. I could be reading this wrong though.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:04 pm

rondemarino wrote:That and its unclear how a deferral is materially different from a WL. I guess the existence of a notification deadline?

I read up a little on this, and the consensus seems to be that deferral is better.

Waitlist seems to imply, we'll accept you only if someone else with better numbers chooses to withdraw.

Deferrals appears to be, you're borderline so we'll take a look at your application again at a later date. although i guess technically you can be rejected or even waitlisted after they check the application again.

but it feels like they'll look through deferrals first and before they look through the waitlisted people so i guess deferrals are better.

ughOSU

Postby ughOSU » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:27 pm

brewinbruin wrote:"UCLA doesn't do this for EDers. If you ED you're either accepted, rejected, or waitlisted. No deferral to the regular applicant pool."

What? Why not just apply RD?

TheWire

Postby TheWire » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:24 pm

I got a voicemail from Dean Schwartz this morning telling me to call him back...talk about being antsy for a callback

savesthedayajb

Postby savesthedayajb » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:26 pm

TheWire wrote:I got a voicemail from Dean Schwartz this morning telling me to call him back...talk about being antsy for a callback

Congratulations!

TheWire

Postby TheWire » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:29 pm

thanks...does that necessarily (lsat lingo lol) mean acceptance?

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:30 pm

ughOSU wrote:

What? Why not just apply RD?

I think he's trying to say that ED people might have an edge over RD applicants with similar numbers since they obviously love the school enough to apply ED, but they also get considered for $$ (however unlikely it may be) since they aren't bound to attend.

That, or the admissions officer was admitted after being deferred ED and is insecure about it. :lol:

savesthedayajb

Postby savesthedayajb » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:32 pm

TheWire wrote:thanks...does that necessarily (lsat lingo lol) mean acceptance?

Not necessarily, but I'll put money on it that you're in. When are you going to call back? Let us know what happens and good luck!

TheWire

Postby TheWire » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:35 pm

savesthedayajb wrote:

Not necessarily, but I'll put money on it that you're in. When are you going to call back? Let us know what happens and good luck!

I called back almost right away but Dean Schwartz was in a meeting (so don't count on a call this hour...). I left a message for him so I'm back to being the one waiting for a call! Of course, TLS will know as soon as I do!

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:37 pm

TheWire wrote:
savesthedayajb wrote:

I called back almost right away but Dean Schwartz was in a meeting (so don't count on a call this hour...). I left a message for him so I'm back to being the one waiting for a call! Of course, TLS will know as soon as I do!

What are your stats if you don't mind me asking, and did you ED or RD?

savesthedayajb

Postby savesthedayajb » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:38 pm

TheWire wrote:
savesthedayajb wrote:

Exciting! Can't wait till I start hearing back.

rondemarino

Postby rondemarino » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:44 pm

finalaspects wrote:
TheWire wrote:
savesthedayajb wrote:

What are your stats if you don't mind me asking, and did you ED or RD?

3.75/171, RD.

TheWire

Postby TheWire » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:48 pm

^^^ the gpa is slightly fudged but ya

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”