UCLA?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Inygma

Re: UCLA?

Postby Inygma » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:20 pm

Pretty sure I am a ding, 163/3.71 barring a miracle.

Never had high hopes anyway :?

soccersmo

Postby soccersmo » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:22 pm

I'm thinking I'm a ding too, or very best a waitlist :(
sad because I love UCLA
I don't think they are done with ED already though, or at least for a lot of our sakes lets hope not

Slansky

Postby Slansky » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:36 pm

I didn't realize RD decisions could come out so early...in the email they said February, lol. Now I am freaking out. :shock:

For the people who got in with scholarships, was any of that merit-based or did you have to demonstrate need? I thought scholly info wouldn't come out until FAFSA time.

I'm 170/3.9 so I think I'll probably get in, but it'll be pointless if I can't afford it. So the scholarship is the bigger question for me. :|

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:40 pm

soccersmo wrote:I'm thinking I'm a ding too, or very best a waitlist :(
sad because I love UCLA
I don't think they are done with ED already though, or at least for a lot of our sakes lets hope not

The only thing keeping me going...

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/ann522

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:42 pm

Slansky wrote:I didn't realize RD decisions could come out so early...in the email they said February, lol. Now I am freaking out. :shock:

For the people who got in with scholarships, was any of that merit-based or did you have to demonstrate need? I thought scholly info wouldn't come out until FAFSA time.

I'm 170/3.9 so I think I'll probably get in, but it'll be pointless if I can't afford it. So the scholarship is the bigger question for me. :|

Yeah I was RD and accepted in late October with $90K merit aid. Virtually identical stats to yours but in-state so that may make some difference.

Slansky

Postby Slansky » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:44 pm

crackberry wrote:
Slansky wrote:I didn't realize RD decisions could come out so early...in the email they said February, lol. Now I am freaking out. :shock:

Yeah I was RD and accepted in late October with $90K merit aid. Virtually identical stats to yours but in-state so that may make some difference.

By in-state do you mean CA resident? I've got that; I go to UCSD. I would diiiiee to get what you got, lol.

rondemarino

Postby rondemarino » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:45 pm

jgulia45 wrote:So other EDers, anybody else thinking they've already admitted all the people they are going to this year for ED? There haven't been any phone calls to ED people in quite a while, just rejections...

dissapointed... :cry:

Meh. I've considered the possibility, but decisions really heated for ED in mid-December (link) last year.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:46 pm

Slansky wrote:
crackberry wrote:

By in-state do you mean CA resident? I've got that; I go to UCSD. I would diiiiee to get what you got, lol.

Yeah I am a CA resident, a couple of years out of Stanford UG. If I got $90,000, you should get something, if not the same offer as I did (you're a virtual lock for admittance).

rondemarino

Postby rondemarino » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:47 pm

sad because I love UCLA

Ever consider signing up for the February LSAT to draw the WL instead of a rejection?

Slansky

Postby Slansky » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:56 pm

crackberry wrote:
Slansky wrote:
crackberry wrote:

Yeah I am a CA resident, a couple of years out of Stanford UG. If I got $90,000, you should get something, if not the same offer as I did (you're a virtual lock for admittance).

Thanks for the confidence. Stanford probably gave you a bump, but I will hold out hope for like $40k anyway, lol. :shock:

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:58 pm

Slansky wrote:Thanks for the confidence. Stanford probably gave you a bump, but I will hold out hope for like $40k anyway, lol. :shock:

I've seen them give scholarships this cycle in the amounts of $20K per year, $25K per year, $30K per year (what I got) and guaranteed full tuition (to managamy, who has a 178, 4.1). I'd be shocked if you didn't get $20K per year.

soccersmo

Postby soccersmo » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:11 pm

rondemarino wrote:
sad because I love UCLA

Ever consider signing up for the February LSAT to draw the WL instead of a rejection?

I had considered signing up for the Feb LSAT if I got a waitlist to hopefully score above a 169, maybe push me up into possible admit range... I hadn't considered signing up now... do you think it would help me to get WL instead of a rejection... I'm just hoping UCLA or USC pulls through, I know my odds are a bit better at USC, but not great

jay115

Postby jay115 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:18 pm

:)
Last edited by jay115 on Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

ViP

Postby ViP » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:33 pm

We'll be bombarded with decisions in the next couple of weeks. Like rondemarino said, a ridiculous number of decisions were made in early/mid-December last year.

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:37 pm

ViP wrote:We'll be bombarded with decisions in the next couple of weeks. Like rondemarino said, a ridiculous number of decisions were made in early/mid-December last year.

:shock: is that a prediction? We don't take kindly to predictions on TLS anymore.

Guillotine!!! Where you at tintin? The guillotine has been moved to this thread

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:39 pm

Oli wrote:
ViP wrote:We'll be bombarded with decisions in the next couple of weeks. Like rondemarino said, a ridiculous number of decisions were made in early/mid-December last year.

:shock: is that a prediction? We don't take kindly to predictions on TLS anymore.

I doubt Tintin cares very much about UCLA anymore with that shiny new UVA acceptance in her hand.

ViP

Postby ViP » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:41 pm

Oli wrote:

Haha, well, not so much a prediction as much as a fact.

The decisions must be made by the end of December.

It's now December.

Busy next couple of weeks.

EDIT: referring to ED, of course.

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:42 pm

crackberry wrote:
Oli wrote:

I doubt Tintin cares very much about UCLA anymore with that shiny new UVA acceptance in her hand.

Thats true...you're just saying that cause youre already in crackberry.

Damn you send in your apps mid november and you're way behind everyone on TLS as far as decisions go...anyone care to venture a "prediction" on who I'm gonna hear from first :P ?

rondemarino

Postby rondemarino » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:15 pm

soccersmo wrote:
rondemarino wrote:
sad because I love UCLA

I had considered signing up for the Feb LSAT if I got a waitlist to hopefully score above a 169, maybe push me up into possible admit range... I hadn't considered signing up now... do you think it would help me to get WL instead of a rejection... I'm just hoping UCLA or USC pulls through, I know my odds are a bit better at USC, but not great

First, take a ginormous grain of salt. Ready? Ok.

I am an extremely cynical bastard. People seem to buy in to SSS (Special Snowflake Syndrome) a lot more than I do. For example, a 165/3.95 admit claiming their awesome essays and softs got them in the door, when in fact, their 3.95 GPA was necessary (and probably sufficient) for admission. If you doubt this, why is it that almost no special snowflakes have numbers below BOTH medians?

Examples - U of Michigan (169/3.7 median), one non-URM admit below both medians (link)
UCLA (168/3.7 median), one non-URM admit below both medians (link)

Working off the motivation that having one number above median is necessary for non-URMs 95% of the time, do you think its more likely that UCLA with WL if they think you're numbers are staying where they are or if there's a chance your numbers might improve in late February?

I think I'm right, but this is YOUR cycle. For all I know, you are just that special applicant who will beat the odds (some do, after all). Plus the LSAT is big investment. My suggestion - draw your own conclusions from what you can learn about previous cycles. I would hate to be the person who pushed you into a decision you're not comfortable with. Worst case, you're probably going to USC - which is a pretty decent worst case. :D

soccersmo

Postby soccersmo » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:41 pm

rondemarino wrote:
soccersmo wrote:
rondemarino wrote:
sad because I love UCLA

First, take a ginormous grain of salt. Ready? Ok.

I am an extremely cynical bastard. People seem to buy in to SSS (Special Snowflake Syndrome) a lot more than I do. For example, a 165/3.95 admit claiming their awesome essays and softs got them in the door, when in fact, their 3.95 GPA was necessary (and probably sufficient) for admission. If you doubt this, why is it that almost no special snowflakes have numbers below BOTH medians?

Examples - U of Michigan (169/3.7 median), one non-URM admit below both medians (link)
UCLA (168/3.7 median), one non-URM admit below both medians (link)

Working off the motivation that having one number above median is necessary for non-URMs 95% of the time, do you think its more likely that UCLA with WL if they think you're numbers are staying where they are or if there's a chance your numbers might improve in late February?

I think I'm right, but this is YOUR cycle. For all I know, you are just that special applicant who will beat the odds (some do, after all). Plus the LSAT is big investment. My suggestion - draw your own conclusions from what you can learn about previous cycles. I would hate to be the person who pushed you into a decision you're not comfortable with. Worst case, you're probably going to USC - which is a pretty decent worst case. :D

I think you are right... it makes perfect sense... I just hate the LSAT so much hahaha... definetely something I need to consider and fast at that... thanks for the input... yea and I don't know how people claim to have softs that will get them admitted... I mean I like to think I have strong softs, but odds are most people do, so it really is all about numbers... im not as confident about the USC admittance for me as you seem to be, but I would be very happy there as well... you got in ED right?? :)

rondemarino

Postby rondemarino » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:44 pm

soccersmo wrote:I think you are right... it makes perfect sense... I just hate the LSAT so much hahaha... definetely something I need to consider and fast at that... thanks for the input... yea and I don't know how people claim to have softs that will get them admitted... I mean I like to think I have strong softs, but odds are most people do, so it really is all about numbers... im not as confident about the USC admittance for me as you seem to be, but I would be very happy there as well... you got in ED right?? :)

Still waiting. Staving off anxiety by completing applications at my targets and safeties. Starting to fall in love with Michigan.....

EDIT: I was where you are now. Had a 167, but decided to retake. I'm glad I did, but it wasn't fun. The improved odds for admission and scholarship money made it worth it.
Last edited by rondemarino on Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:46 pm

I'm kinda wishing I'd EDed to UCLA.

soccersmo

Postby soccersmo » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:47 pm

rondemarino wrote:
soccersmo wrote:I think you are right... it makes perfect sense... I just hate the LSAT so much hahaha... definetely something I need to consider and fast at that... thanks for the input... yea and I don't know how people claim to have softs that will get them admitted... I mean I like to think I have strong softs, but odds are most people do, so it really is all about numbers... im not as confident about the USC admittance for me as you seem to be, but I would be very happy there as well... you got in ED right?? :)

Still waiting. Staving off anxiety by completing applications at my targets and safeties. Starting to fall in love with Michigan.....

good luck!!!

rondemarino

Postby rondemarino » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:48 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:I'm kinda wishing I'd EDed to UCLA.

Penn is more likely to get you a job. :D

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:56 pm

rondemarino wrote:
shadowfrost000 wrote:I'm kinda wishing I'd EDed to UCLA.

Penn is more likely to get you a job. :D

Yeah, you're right, it was just a fleeting infatuation with California.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”