UCLA?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jayausi

Re: UCLA?

Postby jayausi » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:53 pm

Hey crackberry, what school did you attend in NorCal? Our numbers are comparable. I'm hoping to get the same package.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:08 pm

jayausi wrote:Hey crackberry, what school did you attend in NorCal? Our numbers are comparable. I'm hoping to get the same package.

Just sent you a PM.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:32 pm

rondemarino wrote:3.0x, engineering. So yeah, not the bestest. There's a huge sea of yellow around my stats on LSN.

Thought about this a fair bit. UCLA is my #1 choice, short of my getting in Boalt or Stanford (not happening). UCLA also said $$$ is awarded on the basis of LSAT/GPA. If they find a creative way to screw me out of money, I'll just stay at my job. Making good money vs. entering law school when the legal market is oversaturated? Its a push.

I'm in your shoes. 3.1//168 and currently work as the Director of IT. Some of my friends have said that it is stupid to throw away my career, and enter the legal field especially in this market.

BUT i cannot imagine myself doing this for the rest of my life. I just can't do it. I don't know about your stats, but i know if i get accepted to UCLA (very unlikely), i'll see no money. It will still be worth it for me. I will risk it all and I know what im fighting for, especially after being in the work force day in and day out.

I just hope UCLA will get the same impression from my application.

jgulia45

Postby jgulia45 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:51 pm

Am complete as of today :) Here's to hoping I get a decision soon!!!

rondemarino

Postby rondemarino » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:58 pm

finalaspects wrote:
rondemarino wrote:3.0x, engineering. So yeah, not the bestest. There's a huge sea of yellow around my stats on LSN.

Thought about this a fair bit. UCLA is my #1 choice, short of my getting in Boalt or Stanford (not happening). UCLA also said $$$ is awarded on the basis of LSAT/GPA. If they find a creative way to screw me out of money, I'll just stay at my job. Making good money vs. entering law school when the legal market is oversaturated? Its a push.

I'm in your shoes. 3.1//168 and currently work as the Director of IT. Some of my friends have said that it is stupid to throw away my career, and enter the legal field especially in this market.

BUT i cannot imagine myself doing this for the rest of my life. I just can't do it. I don't know about your stats, but i know if i get accepted to UCLA (very unlikely), i'll see no money. It will still be worth it for me. I will risk it all and I know what im fighting for, especially after being in the work force day in and day out.

I just hope UCLA will get the same impression from my application.

I'd advise ED, given your numbers. RD is probably a no-go.

Also, if you don't know what you want to get out of a law degree, your friends are right. Your opportunity cost, like mine, is a lot higher than your average applicant. Insane debt + loss of 3 years of good salary = Lots O Cash.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:02 pm

rondemarino wrote:I'd advise ED, given your numbers. RD is probably a no-go.

Also, if you don't know what you want to get out of a law degree, your friends are right. Your opportunity cost, like mine, is a lot higher than your average applicant. Insane debt + loss of 3 years of good salary = Lots O Cash.

Yes, I did ED. I know what I want from it. Much more then what i want from Information Technology actually.

I can't help but be depressed knowing my odds though. I will die a little in the inside, if i get the rejection letter in December. Also applied to Hastings and Davis for CA, and Boston U, Fordham, and Notre Dame.

Rest are top 15, which apparently, I just wanted to piss away my money.

rondemarino

Postby rondemarino » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:07 pm

finalaspects wrote:
rondemarino wrote:I'd advise ED, given your numbers. RD is probably a no-go.

Yes, I did ED. I know what I want from it. Much more then what i want from Information Technology actually.

I can't help but be depressed knowing my odds though. I will die a little in the inside, if i get the rejection letter in December. Also applied to Hastings and Davis for CA, and Boston U, Fordham, and Notre Dame.

Rest are top 15, which apparently, I just wanted to piss away my money.

That's good. People underestimate how boring legal work can be.

Any reason for choosing Boston U, Hastings, Davis, Fordham and ND over WUSTL and USC?

rondemarino

Postby rondemarino » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:25 pm

Out of curiosity, anyone else ED to UCLA with a 170+?

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:37 pm

rondemarino wrote:That's good. People underestimate how boring legal work can be.

Any reason for choosing Boston U, Hastings, Davis, Fordham and ND over WUSTL and USC?

Not more boring then IT. I did apply to USC because it is in California. As for WUSTL, I did not want to get stuck in the midwest. East coast is fine, which is why I leaned towards ND.

rondemarino

Postby rondemarino » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:38 pm

finalaspects wrote:
rondemarino wrote:That's good. People underestimate how boring legal work can be.

Not more boring then IT. I did apply to USC because it is in California. As for WUSTL, I did not want to get stuck in the midwest. East coast is fine, which is why I leaned towards ND.

????

bighead715

Postby bighead715 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:41 pm

south bend, indiana is midwest...considering detroit is midwest and is farther east than south bend....

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:32 pm

rondemarino wrote:
finalaspects wrote:

????

In my head Indiana was acceptable. Close to Michigan too. Don't ask me why.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:06 pm

went complete, finally, today

clint4law

Postby clint4law » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:17 am

Veritas wrote:went complete, finally, today

i did as well....so when do you think we can expect a decision?

jgulia45

Postby jgulia45 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:46 am

clint4law wrote:
Veritas wrote:went complete, finally, today

i did as well....so when do you think we can expect a decision?

it appears that ED decisions were mailed of in mid-end of december last year. one person reported receiving a rejection the day before x-mas. here's to hoping that is not us!

EDIT: PS is everybody looking at the applicant pool for ED on LSN? I guess a lot of people aren't using that service. It doesn't appear to have a ton of ED applicants so far. Nov. 15th can't come fast enough so they know what all the applicants looked like!

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:55 am

jgulia45 wrote:it appears that ED decisions were mailed of in mid-end of december last year. one person reported receiving a rejection the day before x-mas. here's to hoping that is not us!

EDIT: PS is everybody looking at the applicant pool for ED on LSN? I guess a lot of people aren't using that service. It doesn't appear to have a ton of ED applicants so far. Nov. 15th can't come fast enough so they know what all the applicants looked like!

I will have to check out the ED pool. But quite a few people have already been accepted to UCLA albeit they have amazing numbers.

jgulia45

Postby jgulia45 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:13 pm

finalaspects wrote:
jgulia45 wrote:it appears that ED decisions were mailed of in mid-end of december last year. one person reported receiving a rejection the day before x-mas. here's to hoping that is not us!

I will have to check out the ED pool. But quite a few people have already been accepted to UCLA albeit they have amazing numbers.

True - there were only two people on LSN that were accepted last year in the ED round. Most of the applicants are well below the medians for both LSAT and GPA hence applying ED. Only people scoring at or above 170 have been accepted so far...really no brainer acceptances. Who knows, perhaps we will hear sooner.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:31 pm

jgulia45 wrote:True - there were only two people on LSN that were accepted last year in the ED round. Most of the applicants are well below the medians for both LSAT and GPA hence applying ED. Only people scoring at or above 170 have been accepted so far...really no brainer acceptances. Who knows, perhaps we will hear sooner.

How did you do a search on what applicants were doing ED as opposed to RD?

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:26 pm

Emailed the office this morning since I had not heard from them other than the app received note back in September. Got a very prompt and nice email back saying that my file is complete.

I like admission officers that are very nice in responding to logistic questions and that are super speedy in responding to emails from applicants. Go UCLA.

Woozy

Postby Woozy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:46 pm

rondemarino wrote:Out of curiosity, anyone else ED to UCLA with a 170+?

I will very soon. Just waiting on one LOR. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

lateforthesky16

Postby lateforthesky16 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:59 pm

I applied ED last night. My numbers are 168/3.46, so I'm not too confident about my chances, but I figured heck if I'm in waitlist territory anyway I might as well give the ED a shot. I'm hoping UCLA receives my LSAC report by the 15th...I don't know why they wouldn't but I'm naturally paranoid about stuff like that :) Good luck to all of you!!!

savesthedayajb

Postby savesthedayajb » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:10 pm

For UCLA ED their website says the application must be received by 11/15. Does that give me all day 11/15? and does that mean it must be complete by that date? or just submitted?

jgulia45

Postby jgulia45 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:32 pm

most ED programs go by application mailed/submitted that date

if they request your LSDAS report and it is incomplete then you probably don't count but i don't think it matters when your report gets there.

jgulia45

Postby jgulia45 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:54 am

News on UCLA has been minimal this week...anybody heard anything this week or today for the east coasters???

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:04 pm

Yes, i would like to know as well of any updates. Its bad enough i check my status every day i need some new exciting news updates every day please!

Other then the non-merry xmas rejection letter i am bound to get right before xmas. Nov 15th seems so far away... another FULL WEEK to go... sigh

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”