UCLA?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mmmadeli

Re: UCLA?

Postby mmmadeli » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:40 pm

I got the Dean call tonight too! No talk of money -- if he doesn't mention it, does that mean they're not offering me any, or does that come in the packet? He told me about ASD and I mentioned I'm from New Jersey -- turns out he grew up a few towns over, which gave me a laugh. I guess I wouldn't be the only Jersey kid in the Sunshine State.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:56 pm

mmmadeli wrote:I got the Dean call tonight too! No talk of money -- if he doesn't mention it, does that mean they're not offering me any, or does that come in the packet? He told me about ASD and I mentioned I'm from New Jersey -- turns out he grew up a few towns over, which gave me a laugh. I guess I wouldn't be the only Jersey kid in the Sunshine State.

Isn't that Florida?

mmmadeli

Postby mmmadeli » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:59 pm

You know, it might be. This is just more compelling evidence that I need to get out of New Jersey. What's California's nickname?

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:00 pm

mmmadeli wrote:You know, it might be. This is just more compelling evidence that I need to get out of New Jersey. What's California's nickname?

The Golden State.

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:10 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
mmmadeli wrote:You know, it might be. This is just more compelling evidence that I need to get out of New Jersey. What's California's nickname?

The Golden State.

Plenty of sunshine here still! :D

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:12 pm

msch0i wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

The Golden State.

Yet no gold. Irony/

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:50 am

Waitlisted :cry: I guess I should be happy that I wasn't outright rejected, but it's still depressing.

Congrats to the recent acceptances though!

DarkwingDick

Postby DarkwingDick » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:53 am

forty-two wrote:Waitlisted :cry: I guess I should be happy that I wasn't outright rejected, but it's still depressing.

Tough luck. I'm expecting my rejection/waitlist, too.

Was yours via email? Snail mail? When did you submit?

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:05 am

DarkwingDick wrote:
forty-two wrote:Waitlisted :cry: I guess I should be happy that I wasn't outright rejected, but it's still depressing.

Tough luck. I'm expecting my rejection/waitlist, too.

Was yours via email? Snail mail? When did you submit?

Email, and I applied in November. Good luck!

DallasCowboy

Postby DallasCowboy » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:34 am

Colorado, the sunshine state

Quine

Postby Quine » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:22 am

Jericwithers wrote:
msch0i wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

The Golden State.

Yet no gold. Irony/

Do they not teach kids about the California Gold Rush anymore?

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:56 am

mctj wrote:Do they not teach kids about the California Gold Rush anymore?

They do it in video game format:

roundabout

Postby roundabout » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:17 pm

I know this is seriously annoying, but I can't find it elsewhere in the thread or searching- can anyone explain or link me to info about the tuition increases? Only thing I could find was a 2007 article. Thanks in advance!

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:35 pm

roundabout wrote:I know this is seriously annoying, but I can't find it elsewhere in the thread or searching- can anyone explain or link me to info about the tuition increases? Only thing I could find was a 2007 article. Thanks in advance!

http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/regents/regmeet/nov09/f2.pdf

weee

Postby weee » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:39 pm

They need to legalize the greens, collect massive taxes, and halt tuition at this year's rate.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:47 pm

weee wrote:They need to legalize the greens, collect massive taxes, and halt tuition at this year's rate.

Why stop at marijuana? As I understand it, heroin is increasingly popular among high school students. However, even taxing these substances wouldn't improve California's situation enough to drop the tuition rates.
Last edited by Jericwithers on Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

weee

Postby weee » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:49 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
weee wrote:They need to legalize the greens, collect massive taxes, and halt tuition at this year's rate.

Why stop at marijuana? As I understand it, heroine is increasingly popular among high school students. However, even taxing these substances wouldn't improve California's situation enough to drop the tuition rates.

Sadly, you're probably actually referring to the high school I went to... whether on purpose or not

--LinkRemoved--

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:53 pm

weee wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

Why stop at marijuana? As I understand it, heroine is increasingly popular among high school students. However, even taxing these substances wouldn't improve California's situation enough to drop the tuition rates.

Sadly, you're probably actually referring to the high school I went to... whether on purpose or not

--LinkRemoved--

Oops, I spelt heroin wrong. Heroine has probably always been popular in high schools. I just saw ABC news reporting on the trend, but it is a serious one and very sad. If marijuana was cheaper and more readily available maybe students wouldn't turn to heroin.

jay115

Postby jay115 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:20 pm

Jericwithers wrote:

Why stop at marijuana? As I understand it, heroin is increasingly popular among high school students. However, even taxing these substances wouldn't improve California's situation enough to drop the tuition rates.

I dont disagree with this

tonkatruck

Postby tonkatruck » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:05 pm

Am I correct in assuming, given the Sunshine State, Gold Rush, Legalization, and Heroin(e) discussions, that there are a lot of people sitting around on TLS, waiting to hear back from UCLA?

I've gotten the sense (and heard from sources) that UCLA is notoriously uncommunicative and slow to release decisions. Are there a lot of people who haven't heard anything?

Also, given how late it is in the game, even if we were to get in at this point (still crossing my fingers!) what are our chances of getting money?

SO. FRUSTRATED.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:15 pm

tonkatruck wrote:Am I correct in assuming, given the Sunshine State, Gold Rush, Legalization, and Heroin(e) discussions, that there are a lot of people sitting around on TLS, waiting to hear back from UCLA?

I've gotten the sense (and heard from sources) that UCLA is notoriously uncommunicative and slow to release decisions. Are there a lot of people who haven't heard anything?

Also, given how late it is in the game, even if we were to get in at this point (still crossing my fingers!) what are our chances of getting money?

SO. FRUSTRATED.

:? Actually I'm the one probably fueling the off-topic discussion, and I am already in. Sorry :( UCLA has been good at keeping hope alive though by continuing to accept people, and after deposits are in I expect more movement for those waiting. Grants are generous at UCLA, and in-state tuition helps. I'll try to keep my mindless chatter to the threads where people aren't still waiting. Sorry again.

tonkatruck

Postby tonkatruck » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:23 pm

Oh no, mindless chatter is fine. It keeps my mind from being consumed by thoughts of that elusive phone call from Dean Schwartz, that minx.

I was just curious what other people's thoughts were...misery loves company, after all :D

dreamweaver87

Postby dreamweaver87 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:54 am

So, as I mentioned here, I got the call that I was admitted on Tuesday. I haven't received the admissions packet in the mail yet, but I'm really wondering about whether I'm getting any money or not...especially with the tuition hikes. Do you think they would've told me on the phone if I am?

Also, are you who got in going to the ASD? I really want to visit, but the ASD is on a Sunday and appears to be some sort of cookout? I'd kind of rather go when I can sit in on a class.

Finally, does anyone have any insight into what may be happening to the school's ranking/reputation because of all of the CA budget issues? I've heard rumors about UCLA losing good professors and such because of pay cuts. I'm dying to go to UCLA, but my dad is warning me against it because of these issues and, while I'm paying the bulk of it, he offered to contribute some, depending on which school I attend.

dreamweaver87

Postby dreamweaver87 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:56 am

Oh, btw, my stats are 3.57/170, so money might be unlikely. To you all who are receiving money, are your numbers significantly better than mine? I'm out of state, by the way.

turkishangora

Postby turkishangora » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:10 am

dreamweaver87 wrote:So, as I mentioned here, I got the call that I was admitted on Tuesday. I haven't received the admissions packet in the mail yet, but I'm really wondering about whether I'm getting any money or not...especially with the tuition hikes. Do you think they would've told me on the phone if I am?

Also, are you who got in going to the ASD? I really want to visit, but the ASD is on a Sunday and appears to be some sort of cookout? I'd kind of rather go when I can sit in on a class.

Finally, does anyone have any insight into what may be happening to the school's ranking/reputation because of all of the CA budget issues? I've heard rumors about UCLA losing good professors and such because of pay cuts. I'm dying to go to UCLA, but my dad is warning me against it because of these issues and, while I'm paying the bulk of it, he offered to contribute some, depending on which school I attend.

need-based aid isn't mentioned over the phone, and it can be substantial. Also, if you have offers from elsewhere they're pretty open to negotiation if you really want to go.

where did you hear about profs leaving due to paycuts? yeah I'm worried about the economy and UCLA too...but when I was at ASD in March the interim dean specifically brought up how this reputation-and-economy worry. Basically his point was that while the deficit may upset UC system in general, it won't affect law schools because of how law schools are managed/funded. Also the tuition hike will help. UC law schools are supposed to be run more like private schools. But, he is the dean talking to prospective students so take it with a grain of salt?

the profs leaving would definitely be worrisome though...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”