UCLA?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
forty-two

Re: UCLA?

Postby forty-two » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:19 pm

mstich wrote:Complete 12/14 and still waiting. Should I call? Only waiting on UCLA, NYU, and Duke at this point

Complete since the end of November and I'm still waiting, so it's not just you. I called a few weeks ago, and the person I spoke to said they would be making decisions through April. Good luck!

legalease9

Postby legalease9 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:35 pm

Yeah I'm waiting too.

mrm2083

Postby mrm2083 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:25 pm

Rejected from UCLA. It's ok because I prefer Georgetown anyways but I always had a soft spot for them and I guess they don't feel the same way towards me : (

legalease9

Postby legalease9 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:09 pm

mrm2083 wrote:Rejected from UCLA. It's ok because I prefer Georgetown anyways but I always had a soft spot for them and I guess they don't feel the same way towards me : (

Thats harsh sorry dude. I have a bad feeling my result may be the same. Just out of curiosity, Was the rejection By snail mail or email?

tara_law

Postby tara_law » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:28 pm

Veritas wrote:
tara_law wrote:I was wait listed :) with 155/3.78, masters in human rights law, killer LORs, a great personal statement and 2 years of human rights work at a University in Norway and in collaboration with various UN agencies.

how did you find out? sounds like you have some very interesting factors.

via email from the Dean of Admissions. It was not a standard letter, but personal email. I think he might have called me if I was not based internationally.

tara_law

Postby tara_law » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:34 pm

lt0826 wrote:
tara_law wrote:I was wait listed :) with 155/3.78, masters in human rights law, killer LORs, a great personal statement and 2 years of human rights work at a University in Norway and in collaboration with various UN agencies.

Wow. I am very interested in human rights law, would love to know more about your experiences.

I got a masters from the University of Oslo a two year program (tuition being 100USD a semester)! I manage human rights projects in South Africa and do research on social, economic rights, and organize advocacy meetings with the UN and NGOs... human rights is interesting to work in if you want to work in development or become a professor, but are not things I want to do...hence the need for law school.

mrm2083

Postby mrm2083 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:36 pm

I was rejected by snail mail. I'm a red dot in a sea of waitlists but I would've withdrawn anyways. They definitely hate the splitters in Cali (171/3.4) as the only schools I've been rejected from are Berkeley and UCLA.

GermX

Postby GermX » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:51 pm

I was waitlisted a few weeks ago, hopefully I won't have the same result as you, 3.4, 169 here=(.

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:39 pm

officially dinged, not surprised at all, more surprised that I wasn't auto-rejected

rsgh5

Postby rsgh5 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:56 pm

166/3.79 with good LORs and some work experience in congressional offices - my file was complete on December 18 and i haven't heard anything yet. ucla, usc and minnesota are my holdouts and now i'm debating whether or not i want to take the hits for the april 1 seat deposits or not.

my mailbox is about 250 yards from my door and i'm at a point where i take the walk every day out of habit rather than expectation.

anyway, i'm glad i found a group that's in the same boat as me because i don't know anybody who applied to ucla so it'll be nice to have people to talk to about it.

Cali167

Postby Cali167 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:59 am

rsgh5 wrote:166/3.79 with good LORs and some work experience in congressional offices - my file was complete on December 18 and i haven't heard anything yet. ucla, usc and minnesota are my holdouts and now i'm debating whether or not i want to take the hits for the april 1 seat deposits or not.

my mailbox is about 250 yards from my door and i'm at a point where i take the walk every day out of habit rather than expectation.

anyway, i'm glad i found a group that's in the same boat as me because i don't know anybody who applied to ucla so it'll be nice to have people to talk to about it.

Wow, very similar numbers and complete date. I've got my fingers crossed for both of us. :)

hermione0901

Postby hermione0901 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:31 am

176/3.95, complete in November. Still no word...

rsgh5

Postby rsgh5 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:38 am

Cali167 wrote:
rsgh5 wrote:166/3.79 with good LORs and some work experience in congressional offices - my file was complete on December 18 and i haven't heard anything yet. ucla, usc and minnesota are my holdouts and now i'm debating whether or not i want to take the hits for the april 1 seat deposits or not.

Wow, very similar numbers and complete date. I've got my fingers crossed for both of us. :)

Thanks, I'll cross mine for you too!

hermione0901 wrote:176/3.95, complete in November. Still no word...

That's ridiculous - you sound like a shoo-in... unless you have a criminal record?

dlac

Postby dlac » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:49 am

rsgh5 wrote:
Cali167 wrote:

Thanks, I'll cross mine for you too!

hermione0901 wrote:176/3.95, complete in November. Still no word...

That's ridiculous - you sound like a shoo-in... unless you have a criminal record?

YP, methinks.

rsgh5

Postby rsgh5 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:27 am

dlac wrote:YP, methinks.

that would make more sense

goletasb

Postby goletasb » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:07 pm

Complete since 2/1, called today, still hasn't even been reviewed. :(

elle

Postby elle » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:58 pm

called yesterday and was told my application was being 'held'. anyone know what that means? couldn't get a clear answer over the phone...

angela

Postby angela » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:55 pm

elle wrote:called yesterday and was told my application was being 'held'. anyone know what that means? couldn't get a clear answer over the phone...

means that they will be looking over your application one more time because they could not make a decision. they basically see something they like, but are not sure. good luck!

elle

Postby elle » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:46 am

angela wrote:
elle wrote:called yesterday and was told my application was being 'held'. anyone know what that means? couldn't get a clear answer over the phone...

means that they will be looking over your application one more time because they could not make a decision. they basically see something they like, but are not sure. good luck!

thanks! i have everything crossed at the pt. anyone have any suggestions for what i can do to improve my chances. i desperately want to go

angela

Postby angela » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:55 pm

elle wrote:
angela wrote:

thanks! i have everything crossed at the pt. anyone have any suggestions for what i can do to improve my chances. i desperately want to go

perhaps a LOCI. they don't say anything about not sending supplemental information. research holds in the search option, i know i came across a thread about this and what people did.

cardinalandgold

Postby cardinalandgold » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:43 pm

WL at UCLA. Probably for the best, as the Trojan side of me would've died a bit every day going to UCLA :P

weee

Postby weee » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:46 pm

cardinalandgold wrote:WL at UCLA. Probably for the best, as the Trojan side of me would've died a bit every day going to UCLA :P

LOL, this could very well be my future...

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:24 pm

Officially withdrew today after being admitted back in October. I was awarded a $90,000 scholarship ($30,000/year) with my acceptance, too, so my withdrawal may free up some merit aid as well. (I am in-state.)

I'm sorry it took so long for me to withdraw. I had a personal reason for considering UCLA (and USC) for this long, and as a result I could not withdraw from either school until now. Better late than never though, right? If you want to know why I had to stay in consideration until now, send me a PM.

Good luck to those of you still waiting. I hope my spot goes to someone on TLS.

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:57 pm

Good lord. Just got off the phone with Dean Schwartz (! - called the admissions number and he picked up ><) ... asked about my application status, was told I was still "in review" without a decision, and he said something like "the phone calls make it harder for us to do our jobs and make decisions"...so FYI, it might not be a great idea to call and ask about your application...
*sigh*
(btw I was definitely polite on the phone, so I don't think it had anything to do with what I said, rather just that they are super stressed out right now)
Hopefully this doesn't hurt my chances ><

Oh, ye gods of fate!

jks289

Postby jks289 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:27 pm

OneKnight wrote:Good lord. Just got off the phone with Dean Schwartz (! - called the admissions number and he picked up ><) ... asked about my application status, was told I was still "in review" without a decision, and he said something like "the phone calls make it harder for us to do our jobs and make decisions"...so FYI, it might not be a great idea to call and ask about your application...
*sigh*
(btw I was definitely polite on the phone, so I don't think it had anything to do with what I said, rather just that they are super stressed out right now)
Hopefully this doesn't hurt my chances ><

Oh, ye gods of fate!

Yikes!!! I'm sure it didn't hurt your chances but that sounds kind of upsetting. I get that they are overworked but they must understand how stressful this is for applicants... Sorry that happened to you, I certainly won't be calling. :shock:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”