UCLA?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hellogoodbye1

Re: UCLA?

Postby hellogoodbye1 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:42 pm

Veritas wrote:
ViP wrote:
calidreamin wrote:They basically ask for a why UCLA with that question about what program/group you would contribute to

I guess so... sort of a pre-arranged "why X" essay.

How many people here wrote that essay? I think it was the "answer to question 7" optional essay...

I wrote one about the international human rights program. I had some some research and project work experience with disability rights in the UK so I spoke about what I can bring to the program from that experience and how the program will aid me in expanding my knowledge and blah blah blah

i wrote about the human rights program too! does anyone know if the admissions committee reads these? or if they just forward them along to faculty in the department?

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:43 pm

hellogoodbye1 wrote:
Veritas wrote:
ViP wrote:
calidreamin wrote:They basically ask for a why UCLA with that question about what program/group you would contribute to

I guess so... sort of a pre-arranged "why X" essay.

How many people here wrote that essay? I think it was the "answer to question 7" optional essay...

I wrote one about the international human rights program. I had some some research and project work experience with disability rights in the UK so I spoke about what I can bring to the program from that experience and how the program will aid me in expanding my knowledge and blah blah blah

i wrote about the human rights program too! does anyone know if the admissions committee reads these? or if they just forward them along to faculty in the department?

I hope they read them! UCLA is one of my reaches, please read!! :D <3

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:48 pm

crackberry is a strong candidate for berkeley though, as far as i can tell. -_-

cougarlive

Postby cougarlive » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:48 pm

Did anyone apply to the David J. Epstein Program in Public Interest Law & Policy?

If so, do you know if how it affects how long it takes them to reach a decision?

Last but not least, do you know if there have ever been cases where people who applied to the program are accepted into UCLA LAW, but not the Program?

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:50 pm

anyone deterred by the tuition bumps?

i am :( :x

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:52 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:crackberry is a strong candidate for berkeley though, as far as i can tell. -_-

Haha I appreciate the vote of confidence. Let's hope. SYHB (in that order) are my top choices, and I'm not banking on SYH at all (nor on B, but I think that's my best shot of the four.)

Jacques

Postby Jacques » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:55 pm

cougarlive wrote:Did anyone apply to the David J. Epstein Program in Public Interest Law & Policy?

If so, do you know if how it affects how long it takes them to reach a decision?

Last but not least, do you know if there have ever been cases where people who applied to the program are accepted into UCLA LAW, but not the Program?

Epstein is an entirely different application process, and highly selective -- people get into the school but not the program all the time.

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:58 pm

crackberry wrote:
shadowfrost000 wrote:crackberry is a strong candidate for berkeley though, as far as i can tell. -_-

Haha I appreciate the vote of confidence. Let's hope. SYHB (in that order) are my top choices, and I'm not banking on SYH at all (nor on B, but I think that's my best shot of the four.)

SYH seems like a bit of a stretch, but B you should be a strong candidate for, esp if you're in-state (so jealous).

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:03 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:
crackberry wrote:

SYH seems like a bit of a stretch, but B you should be a strong candidate for, esp if you're in-state (so jealous).

I am in-state, and I'm hoping the fact that I went to Stanford UG and have pretty good softs could maybe push me over the edge at one of SYH (I did get an early JR1 at H for what that's worth...).

cougarlive

Postby cougarlive » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Jacques wrote:
cougarlive wrote:Did anyone apply to the David J. Epstein Program in Public Interest Law & Policy?

Epstein is an entirely different application process, and highly selective -- people get into the school but not the program all the time.

Thanks for your response. I am familiar with the application process itself (I applied this year), and was wondering about the review process. What else have you heard about the selectivity of the program? It seems the general feeling on TLS last year was that by applying to the Program, you actually stand a better chance of getting into UCLA--or rather, that they put more weight on the criteria of the Program rather than the typical LSAT/GPA combo (which for me would mean a better chance at getting in).

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:03 pm

ViP wrote:
Yeah, I'm ED also. I really hope my personal statement shines. A 163 ain't exactly the most attractive thing at UCLA :(.

A 3.1 GPA is definitely not attractive to UCLA either. Hopefully the fact that we're doing ED helps us out a lot.

I also wrote in the contribution part, stating that my experience in the Information Technology industry (I'm a Director of IT) will contribute to their school. End of December cannot seem to come quick enough, regardless if its bad news. :|

Jacques

Postby Jacques » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:14 pm

cougarlive wrote:
Jacques wrote:

Thanks for your response. I am familiar with the application process itself (I applied this year), and was wondering about the review process. What else have you heard about the selectivity of the program? It seems the general feeling on TLS last year was that by applying to the Program, you actually stand a better chance of getting into UCLA--or rather, that they put more weight on the criteria of the Program rather than the typical LSAT/GPA combo (which for me would mean a better chance at getting in).

PMed you.

autao

Postby autao » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:05 pm

in via phone. 3.9 168. So pumped i could barely speak. It was probably weird for him.

bighead715

Postby bighead715 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:08 pm

congrats, humph, no word from anyone continues to make me as somber as can be...

panadera

Postby panadera » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:13 pm

autao wrote:in via phone. 3.9 168. So pumped i could barely speak. It was probably weird for him.

Congratulations!

And maybe over-excitement makes them feel good- like they really made the right choice to admit someone so happy to be accepted.

ViP

Postby ViP » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:18 pm

autao wrote:in via phone. 3.9 168. So pumped i could barely speak. It was probably weird for him.

Wow, exciting stuff!

Congrats!

galahad85

Postby galahad85 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:44 pm

Finally got my complete email. That's one step closer, at least...

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:44 pm

Woot. Complete.

ViP

Postby ViP » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:45 pm

^^ Date of application submission?

galahad85

Postby galahad85 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:46 pm

ViP wrote:^^ Date of application submission?

10/30

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:46 pm

ViP wrote:^^ Date of application submission?

App was submitted around the 28th or 29th of October, but my final LOR didn't get there til probably end of last week or last couple days.

autao

Postby autao » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:46 pm

Thanks for the congrats, I was so excited when i saw the 310 area code.

anniesaysrelax

Postby anniesaysrelax » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:48 pm

Just got my complete email as well, submitted on 11/09/09.

hhg

Postby hhg » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:54 pm

also just went complete - 8 nov submitted & received.

ViP

Postby ViP » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:59 pm

They received my app on 11/05.

I hope to receive that "complete" email soon.

EDIT: I just received it.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”