UCLA?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
GermX

Re: UCLA?

Postby GermX » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:27 pm

Waitlisted..3.4/169..ah well.

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:41 am

applied 1/8, complete 1/28 and still haven't heard anything. getting antsy, though i would only be able to go with a scholarship offer- highly doubtful this late in the game, right?

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:04 am

hannah87 wrote:applied 1/8, complete 1/28 and still haven't heard anything. getting antsy, though i would only be able to go with a scholarship offer- highly doubtful this late in the game, right?

You already bagged a T10! Also, you're pending at 2 other NY schools, right? I wouldn't count you out of the game from UCLA's end, but unless you want the West Coast, what's the point in worrying? :)

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:06 am

Hopefullawstudent wrote:
hannah87 wrote:applied 1/8, complete 1/28 and still haven't heard anything. getting antsy, though i would only be able to go with a scholarship offer- highly doubtful this late in the game, right?

You already bagged a T10! Also, you're pending at 2 other NY schools, right? I wouldn't count you out of the game from UCLA's end, but unless you want the West Coast, what's the point in worrying? :)

Hehe, thanks. I will rescind the worried-ness :D

barrydukakis

Postby barrydukakis » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:35 pm

So... decided to get caught up on my law school apps, and saw the UCLA's financial aid deadline was March 2nd.

Have not had decision, so didn't look at the e-mail too closely when it originally came through.

Am I screwed?

mb88

Postby mb88 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:40 pm

barrydukakis wrote:So... decided to get caught up on my law school apps, and saw the UCLA's financial aid deadline was March 2nd.

Have not had decision, so didn't look at the e-mail too closely when it originally came through.

Am I screwed?

I can't speak for UCLA specifically, but from what I've seen most schools use the line, "Financial aid info is due on X date, or 1 week from acceptance. Whichever is later."

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:40 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:

Wow, I'm in the same boat as you Hannah - UVa but I still really want UCLA!! I guess it's not worrying so much as it is hoping....

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:41 pm

OneKnight wrote:
Hopefullawstudent wrote:

Wow, I'm in the same boat as you Hannah - UVa but I still really want UCLA!! I guess it's not worrying so much as it is hoping....

i don't even know if i can relocate from NYC...but i love the idea of UVA and UCLA so much! GOOD LUCK OneKnight!!

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:43 pm

hannah87 wrote:
OneKnight wrote:
Hopefullawstudent wrote:

i don't even know if i can relocate from NYC...but i love the idea of UVA and UCLA so much! GOOD LUCK OneKnight!!

Haha, I'm also in NYC. GL to you too!!

jay115

Postby jay115 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:06 pm

I'm going to UCLA and quite excited, but I now realize I've been spoiled during my time at my private UG. Maneuvering through UCLA's housing/financial aid website (URSA) is the most obnoxious experience, and I still don't know what the fuck is going on. I have a sinking feeling that attending a public school system and getting records, registration, etc. will be like going to any state-owned institution, like the DMV.

empire84

Postby empire84 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:14 pm

Has anyone else heard NOTHING from UCLA since mid-November? The only correspondence I've had was a reminder about their financial deadline. I am hoping it's a no news is good news situation, but we're beginning to approach deadlines for seat deposits at competing schools.

Any theories regarding why I haven't been A/W/R?

hhg

Postby hhg » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:22 pm

empire84 wrote:Has anyone else heard NOTHING from UCLA since mid-November? The only correspondence I've had was a reminder about their financial deadline. I am hoping it's a no news is good news situation, but we're beginning to approach deadlines for seat deposits at competing schools.

same. complete 11/17. i figure that even if i do get accepted at this point they have no scholly money set aside for me, and no scholly = no thanks, but i figure i might as well wait and see considering it's a pretty passive activity. i paid for the time they're spending to look at my application, might as well see what they decide. in the back of my mind is also the irrational thought that they'll magically offer me more scholly money than i could pass up.

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:24 pm

jay115 wrote:I'm going to UCLA and quite excited, but I now realize I've been spoiled during my time at my private UG. Maneuvering through UCLA's housing/financial aid website (URSA) is the most obnoxious experience, and I still don't know what the fuck is going on. I have a sinking feeling that attending a public school system and getting records, registration, etc. will be like going to any state-owned institution, like the DMV.

I think the public-private school discussion with regards to law schools is a bit off-center in that it overstates the differences big time. The law schools at top public institutions are more or less operated as separate institutions (and basically with a "private minded" approach) within the broader university community. I have relatives at UVA, some of whom taught/worked at the law school, and they vouch for this. I've also got friends at Michigan who remind people that they serve lobster, wine, etc. to the law students there and no where else on campus! The "only" thing public law schools worry about differently to a large degree is funding (which, granted, is major), but even so, you'll often hear right away when (financial) times are rough that a public law school might be entertaining that "nuclear" option to privatize if the funding threatens the quality of the teaching, etc.

Just the fact that UCLA flouts itself as a "public minded" public school should say something about the general nature of top public law schools. That general nature is one of private-class elitism. Believe me, UVA, Michigan, and Boalt students hail predominantly from rich, middle-upper/upper class families with lots of power.

Also, just as a forewarning Jay115, I wouldn't begin the whole "...my private UG was this, or that.." You're going to be in a very deep mix of Harvard/MIT UG-grade students at UCLA Law and us "private schooled" kids will learn quickly that we are really nothing special. ;) Granted, your concerns are about housing, and yes, that is also a difference you'll be dealing with.. but in the grand scheme, you'll find it easy to forgive I think. Also - where did you do UG? Was the private-school housing there REALLY much better?? The housing at the University of Chicago is atrocious (on average). If I move to Westwood, I'm getting a private residence! (See? The elitism is with us students, even those who will be "doomed" to attend top public institutions..)
Last edited by Hopefullawstudent on Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grandslam

Postby grandslam » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:29 pm

empire84 wrote:Has anyone else heard NOTHING from UCLA since mid-November? The only correspondence I've had was a reminder about their financial deadline. I am hoping it's a no news is good news situation, but we're beginning to approach deadlines for seat deposits at competing schools.

I applied mid-November and haven't heard anything yet. I thought my cycle was officially over two weeks ago and it wasn't until I saw this thread that I remembered UCLA. Maybe they lost my application...

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:33 pm

grandslam wrote:

I applied mid-November and haven't heard anything yet. I thought my cycle was officially over two weeks ago and it wasn't until I saw this thread that I remembered UCLA. Maybe they lost my application...

complete 11/3 with no word

ValiantVic

Postby ValiantVic » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:34 pm

jay115 wrote:I'm going to UCLA and quite excited, but I now realize I've been spoiled during my time at my private UG. Maneuvering through UCLA's housing/financial aid website (URSA) is the most obnoxious experience, and I still don't know what the fuck is going on. I have a sinking feeling that attending a public school system and getting records, registration, etc. will be like going to any state-owned institution, like the DMV.

It's worse.

jay115

Postby jay115 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:37 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:

I think the public-private school discussion with regards to law schools is a bit off-center in that it overstates the differences big time. The law schools at top public institutions are more or less operated as separate institutions (and basically with a "private minded" approach) within the broader university community. I have relatives at UVA, some of whom taught/worked at the law school, and they vouch for this. I've also got friends at Michigan who remind people that they serve lobster, wine, etc. to the law students there and no where else on campus! The "only" thing public law schools worry about differently to a large degree is funding (which, granted, is major), but even so, you'll often hear right away when (financial) times are rough that a public law school might be entertaining that "nuclear" option to privatize if the funding threatens the quality of the teaching, etc.

Just the fact that UCLA flouts itself as a "public minded" public school should say something about the general nature of top public law schools. That general nature is one of private-class elitism. Believe me, UVA, Michigan, and Boalt students hail predominantly from rich, middle-upper/upper class families with lots of power.

Also, just as a forewarning Jay115, I wouldn't begin the whole "...my private UG was this, or that.." You're going to be in a very deep mix of Harvard/MIT UG-grade students at UCLA Law and us "private schooled" kids will learn quickly that we are really nothing special. ;)

Haha it's not so much my private UG "breeding" per se - I went to a public high school and I by no means want to imply that I need my special ass kissed by every administrator. Rather, when I need a simple question answered right now in UG, I would just email some relevant administrator and usually get a pretty quick and clear response/assistance. Perhaps it's not so much the public/private distinction as it is the size of my UG, which is quite small.

As of now, I emailed some UCLA administrator who directs me to some website that provides no answers, but directs me to another administrator who doesn't know the answers, but refers me to her superior who doesn't answer his emails/phone, but whose secretary refers me back to the same stupid website with no answers... boo. I must have read 50 "FAQ's" that don't actually address the questions that (I think) are most obvious. For example, "when should I move into my UCLA-owned apartment? One week, two weeks, a month (etc) before classes start?" "Am I blocked out from moving in before a specified date?" "How come you haven't confirmed my residency status even though your website told me you should have confirmed it like a month ago? " "How come URSA doesn't reflect the financial aid package you emailed me?"

I dunno. Hopeful, are you UCLA Law bound? Perhaps you can help me slosh through this morass of a website. :D

jtang11

Postby jtang11 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:47 pm

jay115 wrote:Haha it's not so much my private UG "breeding" per se - I went to a public high school and I by no means want to imply that I need my special ass kissed by every administrator. Rather, when I need a simple question answered right now in UG, I would just email some relevant administrator and usually get a pretty quick and clear response/assistance. Perhaps it's not so much the public/private distinction as it is the size of my UG, which is quite small.

As of now, I emailed some UCLA administrator who directs me to some website that provides no answers, but directs me to another administrator who doesn't know the answers, but refers me to her superior who doesn't answer his emails/phone, but whose secretary refers me back to the same stupid website with no answers... boo. I must have read 50 "FAQ's" that don't actually address the questions that (I think) are most obvious. For example, "when should I move into my UCLA-owned apartment? One week, two weeks, a month (etc) before classes start?" "Am I blocked out from moving in before a specified date?" "How come you haven't confirmed my residency status even though your website told me you should have confirmed it like a month ago? " "How come URSA doesn't reflect the financial aid package you emailed me?"

I dunno. Hopeful, are you UCLA Law bound? Perhaps you can help me slosh through this morass of a website. :D

I went to UCLA for undergrad and am considering it for law school. If you ever figure out how the hell to navigate that website or get a live person on the phone, let me know.

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:46 pm

jay115 wrote:
Hopefullawstudent wrote:

Also, just as a forewarning Jay115, I wouldn't begin the whole "...my private UG was this, or that.." You're going to be in a very deep mix of Harvard/MIT UG-grade students at UCLA Law and us "private schooled" kids will learn quickly that we are really nothing special. ;)

Haha it's not so much my private UG "breeding" per se - I went to a public high school and I by no means want to imply that I need my special ass kissed by every administrator. Rather, when I need a simple question answered right now in UG, I would just email some relevant administrator and usually get a pretty quick and clear response/assistance. Perhaps it's not so much the public/private distinction as it is the size of my UG, which is quite small.

Jay - It's looking like I may be heading to UCLA (Very excited). In regards to your housing website difficulties: That is certainly a public school problem (the maze-like administrative crap). I'd try to get it solved informally, maybe ask for an alum contact at the school?

jay115

Postby jay115 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:06 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:
jay115 wrote:
Hopefullawstudent wrote:

Jay - It's looking like I may be heading to UCLA (Very excited). In regards to your housing website difficulties: That is certainly a public school problem (the maze-like administrative crap). I'd try to get it solved informally, maybe ask for an alum contact at the school?

Haha I just submitted my housing deposit for Weyburn for a August 15th move-in date as orientation is August 18th. I figure a bunch of 1Ls will be there, so I can chill for a couple days.

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:49 pm

jay115 wrote:
Haha I just submitted my housing deposit for Weyburn for a August 15th move-in date as orientation is August 18th. I figure a bunch of 1Ls will be there, so I can chill for a couple days.

I love it. The three days of freedom you calculated into your summer move-in plan... so sad actually... :P Well I'm looking to move toward the beginning of the summer and hopefully meet some non-law students in the area so that I can have some friends before I don't have any time to hang out with them come September.

crunchytater

Postby crunchytater » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:14 pm

Waitlisted via e-mail. Promptly withdrew. :)

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:17 pm

jay115 wrote:I have a sinking feeling that attending a public school system and getting records, registration, etc. will be like going to any state-owned institution, like the DMV.

Blatant anti-Karl Marx trolling.

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:20 pm

Veritas wrote:
grandslam wrote:

Complete 12/10 no word...

calgal17

Postby calgal17 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:03 pm

OneKnight wrote:
Veritas wrote:
grandslam wrote:

Complete 12/10 no word...

Complete 12/4 no word either. :?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”