UCLA?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
strokes788

Re: UCLA?

Postby strokes788 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:25 pm

Dinged yesterday. 172, only score, 3.6+ GPA. Not even a courtesy waitlist I guess. Got rejected out of state for undergrad with numbers that were good enough to get in, this time numbers at least on LSAT are much higer, decent softs, good recs, I guess UCLA really never wants me as a student haha. Good luck to the rest of you. As a Trojan alum, FUCLA :)

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:31 am

strokes788 wrote:Dinged yesterday. 172, only score, 3.6+ GPA. Not even a courtesy waitlist I guess. Got rejected out of state for undergrad with numbers that were good enough to get in, this time numbers at least on LSAT are much higer, decent softs, good recs, I guess UCLA really never wants me as a student haha. Good luck to the rest of you. As a Trojan alum, FUCLA :)

haha, guess I should be waiting for my ding then.

freebird

Postby freebird » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:39 pm

WL'd 2/16...164/3.75...anyone know anything about chances of getting in off the waitlist?

mlf1939

Postby mlf1939 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:42 pm

Is there any truth to the rumor that students can claim California residency after one year at UCLA Law? I know that tuition at the UC’s is on its way through the roof, so any tuition break would obviously be ideal…

(And sorry, if this has been discussed before…I tried to search the topic, but didn’t find anything.)

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:43 pm

mlf1939 wrote:Is there any truth to the rumor that students can claim California residency after one year at UCLA Law? I know that tuition at the UC’s is on its way through the roof, so any tuition break would obviously be ideal…

(And sorry, if this has been discussed before…I tried to search the topic, but didn’t find anything.)

Yes, look at the financial aid section of the website and it gives qualifications for claiming resident tuition.

cougarlive

Postby cougarlive » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:04 pm

Does anyone know if the March 2nd Need Access deadline for UCLA means that it has to be done by today, or be done by tomorrow??

dontstopbelivin

Postby dontstopbelivin » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:25 am

Any more merit aid news (i.e., anyone here post acceptance phone call, and besides the need-based grant)? Trying to decide if I should send an email with my other scholly numbers, or wait it out a little longer.

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:14 am

cougarlive wrote:Does anyone know if the March 2nd Need Access deadline for UCLA means that it has to be done by today, or be done by tomorrow??

If a time isn't specified, then I'd say by the end of the business day today (at 5:00 pm Pacific).

opus127

Postby opus127 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:24 am

dontstopbelivin wrote:Any more merit aid news (i.e., anyone here post acceptance phone call, and besides the need-based grant)? Trying to decide if I should send an email with my other scholly numbers, or wait it out a little longer.

I recommend e-mailing them. Their correspondence says in a few places that they want to remain competitive with offers from other schools, they give merit aid throughout the cycle (until it runs out), and their scholarship committee seems to meet pretty regularly. Good luck.

cougarlive

Postby cougarlive » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:20 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:
cougarlive wrote:Does anyone know if the March 2nd Need Access deadline for UCLA means that it has to be done by today, or be done by tomorrow??

If a time isn't specified, then I'd say by the end of the business day today (at 5:00 pm Pacific).

Thanks hopeful! I was able to get it in yesterday just in case. In went faster than I thought since the app. reused some of the information from when I applied for Need Access last year.

Slansky

Postby Slansky » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:40 pm

I'm curious--has anyone heard of sending in another LOR as a way of prompting for merit money? Would it be a good idea? I'm having another one written to get off a waitlist and I thought I might shoot a copy UCLA's way. I already emailed them with all my other scholarships/acceptances, and they didn't budge, so a new letter is pretty much the only thing I could add to make myself more attractive. But I don't want to do it if it sends the wrong message.
What do you think?

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:28 pm

Slansky wrote:I'm curious--has anyone heard of sending in another LOR as a way of prompting for merit money? Would it be a good idea? I'm having another one written to get off a waitlist and I thought I might shoot a copy UCLA's way. I already emailed them with all my other scholarships/acceptances, and they didn't budge, so a new letter is pretty much the only thing I could add to make myself more attractive. But I don't want to do it if it sends the wrong message.
What do you think?

I think it's more than appropriate! It seems recommended if you ask me.. Look people, the merit aid request process is NOT a case where you are the beggar and the school is the money machine (especially not UCLA this year) being asked to bow to your petty badgering. Instead, it is a NEGOTIATION where BOTH of you - the individual and the school - are trying to reach a common point (price) at which you will be JUST happy enough to attend, and they will be JUST happy enough having you attend.

To Slansky: Send in EVERYTHING - a LOR is recommended if you ask me. It communicates interest if anything, which at worst the attempt ends unsuccessfully, but is probably flattering to the school even as such.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:56 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:
Slansky wrote:I'm curious--has anyone heard of sending in another LOR as a way of prompting for merit money? Would it be a good idea? I'm having another one written to get off a waitlist and I thought I might shoot a copy UCLA's way. I already emailed them with all my other scholarships/acceptances, and they didn't budge, so a new letter is pretty much the only thing I could add to make myself more attractive. But I don't want to do it if it sends the wrong message.
What do you think?

I think it's more than appropriate! It seems recommended if you ask me.. Look people, the merit aid request process is NOT a case where you are the beggar and the school is the money machine (especially not UCLA this year) being asked to bow to your petty badgering. Instead, it is a NEGOTIATION where BOTH of you - the individual and the school - are trying to reach a common point (price) at which you will be JUST happy enough to attend, and they will be JUST happy enough having you attend.

To Slansky: Send in EVERYTHING - a LOR is recommended if you ask me. It communicates interest if anything, which at worst the attempt ends unsuccessfully, but is probably flattering to the school even as such.

Do they accept more than 3?

Slansky

Postby Slansky » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:02 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
Hopefullawstudent wrote:
What do you think?

I don't know, but I only had 2 originally so I should be ok.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:03 pm

Slansky wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
Hopefullawstudent wrote:
What do you think?

I don't know, but I only had 2 originally so I should be ok.

Good luck, on hope that your strategy works I sent in a 4th LOR to schools that accept it lol.

SandyC877

Postby SandyC877 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:04 pm

anyone have a clue of the likelihood that they will visit the WL in 2010?

According to LSN, WL this year looks like the lines at DMV.

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:02 pm

SandyC877 wrote:anyone have a clue of the likelihood that they will visit the WL in 2010?

According to LSN, WL this year looks like the lines at DMV.

Withdrawing. Hope it helps :D good luck all.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:41 pm

Waitlist just now via email.

smartblonde87

Postby smartblonde87 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:56 pm

Waitlist via email 7:34pm! Very excited!!!!!

Postby 02122015 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:26 pm

Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

savesthedayajb

Postby savesthedayajb » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:29 pm

Sorry to hear that you guys. When did you go complete?

Postby 02122015 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:12 am

Last edited by 02122015 on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:15 am

Are acceptances via email or phone call?

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:16 am

hiromoto45 wrote:Are acceptances via email or phone call?

domestic = phone call
international = email

wiseman

Postby wiseman » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:54 am

Veritas wrote:
hiromoto45 wrote:Are acceptances via email or phone call?

domestic = phone call
international = email

Thanks!
I've been wondering how they would notify international applicants.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”