UCLA?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
GoldenBear125
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:19 am

Re: UCLA?

Postby GoldenBear125 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:10 am

Got the magic call yesterday :)

User avatar
vanstone22
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:32 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby vanstone22 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:36 am

rejected via snail mail.....looks like the LA legal market is out for me

therealfp
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 12:15 am

Re: UCLA?

Postby therealfp » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:20 pm

vanstone22 wrote:rejected via snail mail.....looks like the LA legal market is out for me


numbers? complete date?

justbluemyself
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:23 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby justbluemyself » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:40 pm

In just now with a phone call from Dean Schwartz!
Last edited by justbluemyself on Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: UCLA?

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:41 pm

I wonder if UCLA forgot about me?

User avatar
smacroon
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:02 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby smacroon » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:42 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:I wonder if UCLA forgot about me?


+1 :?

Congrats to the admits :)

User avatar
Sauer Grapes
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Re: UCLA?

Postby Sauer Grapes » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:44 pm

....
Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justbluemyself
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:23 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby justbluemyself » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:45 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
justbluemyself wrote:In just now with a phone call from Dean Schwartz! Really please-shaping up to be a good cycle for me.

Complete January 28th, numbers in profile.

Congrats! Did they not give you a scholly?


Dunno, would they have told me on the phone?

User avatar
Sauer Grapes
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Re: UCLA?

Postby Sauer Grapes » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:46 pm

....
Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
hannah87
Posts: 865
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:37 am

Re: UCLA?

Postby hannah87 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:06 pm

justbluemyself wrote:In just now with a phone call from Dean Schwartz! Really please-shaping up to be a good cycle for me.

Complete January 28th, numbers in profile.


congrats!!!!

examplepdf
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:02 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby examplepdf » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:09 pm

hmm I just got a call from a 310 area code but didn't pick up... no voicemail. if it was UCLA will they email me? I feel weird calling back.

User avatar
vanstone22
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:32 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby vanstone22 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:12 pm

therealfp wrote:
vanstone22 wrote:rejected via snail mail.....looks like the LA legal market is out for me


numbers? complete date?


http://lawschoolnumbers.com/lakehawk

User avatar
AngryAvocado
Posts: 776
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby AngryAvocado » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:18 pm

vanstone22 wrote:
therealfp wrote:
vanstone22 wrote:rejected via snail mail.....looks like the LA legal market is out for me


numbers? complete date?


http://lawschoolnumbers.com/lakehawk


Sorry about the ding, but awesome profile. A++, would read again.

Grey_ham28
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:51 am

Re: UCLA?

Postby Grey_ham28 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:45 pm

examplepdf wrote:hmm I just got a call from a 310 area code but didn't pick up... no voicemail. if it was UCLA will they email me? I feel weird calling back.


I got the call while I was in a meeting. Whoever it was (a man, I forget his name) left me a fairly alarming message that I would expect to accompany some kind of horrible news like a death in the family. I would've assumed it was an acceptance but he was like "I need you to call me back at 310-___-____ as soon as you possibly can."

I called back after my meeting (which was very stressful and important to me, so I was kind of distracted talking to him), and he was on the phone so I waited about 30 seconds before getting connected to him. Then he was pretty terse; he seemed annoyed that I had called him back. Anyway, he said he just wanted to let me know that I had been accepted and I tried to seem appropriately appreciative, but he was being kind of a douche. That's my story.

Still waiting to hear about $$, though. Anybody else get the phone call and hear about $ later? I'm wondering if I mistook his distractedness for douchiness, if he was looking for my file or something. Maybe I was the douche for ending the convo when I did? Meh... it'll have to be a killer offer to entice me to put up with So-Cal for three years. (I like the weather, just not the superficiality.)

User avatar
Hopefullawstudent
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:35 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:27 pm

I'm sorry to the above poster for the nature of the phone call, but you are certainly in the vast minority (if not the only person so far) as having received anything but a terrific phone call. If you're this sensitive about the nature/tone of a phone call that is bringing you good news, then I wonder how the legal profession (which is fraught with relevant information delivered in not so cheery ways) will treat you.

Having said this, I understand that this was your acceptance phone call, and it should have been a happy one, but really should the phone call make or break your decision or willingness to attend? (Perhaps, but in my opinion, not really).

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby Jericwithers » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:32 pm

I'm not sure if anyone has received scholarship money that wasn't detailed in the phone call. However, apply for needaccess/FAFSA money as UCLA seems to be very generous with it.

turkishangora
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:18 am

Re: UCLA?

Postby turkishangora » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:36 pm

Jericwithers wrote:I'm not sure if anyone has received scholarship money that wasn't detailed in the phone call. However, apply for needaccess/FAFSA money as UCLA seems to be very generous with it.


I got my grant and i won't really say it was generous. esp taking into account the anticipated tuition hike. i might be in the minority though. what's the general grant amount? mine was under 8k for the year, and have to reapply next year. i have a feeling since most ppl will qualify for in-state tuition, the grant will disappear. I really like the school though.

other ppl with grants, PM me the amounts?

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby Jericwithers » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:19 pm

turkishangora wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:I'm not sure if anyone has received scholarship money that wasn't detailed in the phone call. However, apply for needaccess/FAFSA money as UCLA seems to be very generous with it.


I got my grant and i won't really say it was generous. esp taking into account the anticipated tuition hike. i might be in the minority though. what's the general grant amount? mine was under 8k for the year, and have to reapply next year. i have a feeling since most ppl will qualify for in-state tuition, the grant will disappear. I really like the school though.

other ppl with grants, PM me the amounts?


You really think the grant would disappear because of in-state tuition? Mine was a bit more than $8k, and I would be angry if the $5k drop from out of state to in-instate tuition would cause me to lose that money. However, I don't even think I get to keep my grant money because I got a scholarship.

User avatar
Sauer Grapes
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Re: UCLA?

Postby Sauer Grapes » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:34 pm

...
Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Hopefullawstudent
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:35 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:41 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
Hopefullawstudent wrote:I'm sorry to the above poster for the nature of the phone call, but you are certainly in the vast minority (if not the only person so far) as having received anything but a terrific phone call. If you're this sensitive about the nature/tone of a phone call that is bringing you good news, then I wonder how the legal profession (which is fraught with relevant information delivered in not so cheery ways) will treat you.

Having said this, I understand that this was your acceptance phone call, and it should have been a happy one, but really should the phone call make or break your decision or willingness to attend? (Perhaps, but in my opinion, not really).

During my call I also got the impression that the dean would have rather been doing something other than calling. He seemed annoyed to be calling. I just assumed he was having a bad day.


I hear ya. I received a similar call from a woman at Boston University who sounded blase about my acceptance at best. Still, I had the common sense to realize she'd likely be making roughly 1,000+ calls over a short period of time and that it was in no way an accurate reflection of the moment, and certainly not an accurate impression of the quality of the school she was calling on's behalf.

turkishangora
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:18 am

Re: UCLA?

Postby turkishangora » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:37 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
turkishangora wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:I'm not sure if anyone has received scholarship money that wasn't detailed in the phone call. However, apply for needaccess/FAFSA money as UCLA seems to be very generous with it.


I got my grant and i won't really say it was generous. esp taking into account the anticipated tuition hike. i might be in the minority though. what's the general grant amount? mine was under 8k for the year, and have to reapply next year. i have a feeling since most ppl will qualify for in-state tuition, the grant will disappear. I really like the school though.

other ppl with grants, PM me the amounts?


You really think the grant would disappear because of in-state tuition? Mine was a bit more than $8k, and I would be angry if the $5k drop from out of state to in-instate tuition would cause me to lose that money. However, I don't even think I get to keep my grant money because I got a scholarship.


well they give these out based on need. so even if my financial situation won't change (it won't), in-state tuition being down means less need - specifically around 8k less need. I really hope I'm wrong though.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby Jericwithers » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:46 pm

turkishangora wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
turkishangora wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:I'm not sure if anyone has received scholarship money that wasn't detailed in the phone call. However, apply for needaccess/FAFSA money as UCLA seems to be very generous with it.


I got my grant and i won't really say it was generous. esp taking into account the anticipated tuition hike. i might be in the minority though. what's the general grant amount? mine was under 8k for the year, and have to reapply next year. i have a feeling since most ppl will qualify for in-state tuition, the grant will disappear. I really like the school though.

other ppl with grants, PM me the amounts?


You really think the grant would disappear because of in-state tuition? Mine was a bit more than $8k, and I would be angry if the $5k drop from out of state to in-instate tuition would cause me to lose that money. However, I don't even think I get to keep my grant money because I got a scholarship.


well they give these out based on need. so even if my financial situation won't change (it won't), in-state tuition being down means less need - specifically around 8k less need. I really hope I'm wrong though.


For out of state students who will becoming in-state 2L the projected tuition cost is $50k $45k $50k over the next 3 years.

turkishangora
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:18 am

Re: UCLA?

Postby turkishangora » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:53 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
turkishangora wrote:
well they give these out based on need. so even if my financial situation won't change (it won't), in-state tuition being down means less need - specifically around 8k less need. I really hope I'm wrong though.


For out of state students who will becoming in-state 2L the projected tuition cost is $50k $45k $50k over the next 3 years.


really? ok that's less than I thought. where did they put that out? thanks

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby Jericwithers » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:55 pm

turkishangora wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
turkishangora wrote:
well they give these out based on need. so even if my financial situation won't change (it won't), in-state tuition being down means less need - specifically around 8k less need. I really hope I'm wrong though.


For out of state students who will becoming in-state 2L the projected tuition cost is $50k $45k $50k over the next 3 years.


really? ok that's less than I thought. where did they put that out? thanks


It's not official, but the regents put out a report back in November. Check out the link in the comment section of my LSN.

kevdadude
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:40 am

Re: UCLA?

Postby kevdadude » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:14 pm

No classes on Friday, so I popped by to take a tour. Beautiful campus, interesting class I got to sit in on, and the friendly admissions staff just made me want to go even more.

Really, really hope I get that magic call soon!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 88234, ad34964n, Assasindowntheavenue, at593, Baidu [Spider], dietcoke1, Google Adsense [Bot], Houzy, Keilz, laurlaur2112, LawSchoolTitan, mccracal, okf731, The_Pluviophile, xn3345 and 33 guests