UCLA?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
GoldenBear125

Re: UCLA?

Postby GoldenBear125 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:10 am

Got the magic call yesterday :)

vanstone22

Postby vanstone22 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:36 am

rejected via snail mail.....looks like the LA legal market is out for me

therealfp

Postby therealfp » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:20 pm

vanstone22 wrote:rejected via snail mail.....looks like the LA legal market is out for me

numbers? complete date?

justbluemyself

Postby justbluemyself » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:40 pm

In just now with a phone call from Dean Schwartz!
Last edited by justbluemyself on Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:41 pm

I wonder if UCLA forgot about me?

smacroon

Postby smacroon » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:42 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:I wonder if UCLA forgot about me?

+1 :?

Congrats to the admits :)

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:44 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justbluemyself

Postby justbluemyself » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:45 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
justbluemyself wrote:In just now with a phone call from Dean Schwartz! Really please-shaping up to be a good cycle for me.

Complete January 28th, numbers in profile.

Congrats! Did they not give you a scholly?

Dunno, would they have told me on the phone?

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:46 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:06 pm

justbluemyself wrote:In just now with a phone call from Dean Schwartz! Really please-shaping up to be a good cycle for me.

Complete January 28th, numbers in profile.

congrats!!!!

examplepdf

Postby examplepdf » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:09 pm

hmm I just got a call from a 310 area code but didn't pick up... no voicemail. if it was UCLA will they email me? I feel weird calling back.

vanstone22

Postby vanstone22 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:12 pm

therealfp wrote:
vanstone22 wrote:rejected via snail mail.....looks like the LA legal market is out for me

numbers? complete date?

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/lakehawk

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:18 pm

vanstone22 wrote:
therealfp wrote:

numbers? complete date?

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/lakehawk

Sorry about the ding, but awesome profile. A++, would read again.

Grey_ham28

Postby Grey_ham28 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:45 pm

examplepdf wrote:hmm I just got a call from a 310 area code but didn't pick up... no voicemail. if it was UCLA will they email me? I feel weird calling back.

I got the call while I was in a meeting. Whoever it was (a man, I forget his name) left me a fairly alarming message that I would expect to accompany some kind of horrible news like a death in the family. I would've assumed it was an acceptance but he was like "I need you to call me back at 310-___-____ as soon as you possibly can."

I called back after my meeting (which was very stressful and important to me, so I was kind of distracted talking to him), and he was on the phone so I waited about 30 seconds before getting connected to him. Then he was pretty terse; he seemed annoyed that I had called him back. Anyway, he said he just wanted to let me know that I had been accepted and I tried to seem appropriately appreciative, but he was being kind of a douche. That's my story.

Still waiting to hear about $$, though. Anybody else get the phone call and hear about $ later? I'm wondering if I mistook his distractedness for douchiness, if he was looking for my file or something. Maybe I was the douche for ending the convo when I did? Meh... it'll have to be a killer offer to entice me to put up with So-Cal for three years. (I like the weather, just not the superficiality.)

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:27 pm

I'm sorry to the above poster for the nature of the phone call, but you are certainly in the vast minority (if not the only person so far) as having received anything but a terrific phone call. If you're this sensitive about the nature/tone of a phone call that is bringing you good news, then I wonder how the legal profession (which is fraught with relevant information delivered in not so cheery ways) will treat you.

Having said this, I understand that this was your acceptance phone call, and it should have been a happy one, but really should the phone call make or break your decision or willingness to attend? (Perhaps, but in my opinion, not really).

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:32 pm

I'm not sure if anyone has received scholarship money that wasn't detailed in the phone call. However, apply for needaccess/FAFSA money as UCLA seems to be very generous with it.

turkishangora

Postby turkishangora » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:36 pm

Jericwithers wrote:I'm not sure if anyone has received scholarship money that wasn't detailed in the phone call. However, apply for needaccess/FAFSA money as UCLA seems to be very generous with it.

I got my grant and i won't really say it was generous. esp taking into account the anticipated tuition hike. i might be in the minority though. what's the general grant amount? mine was under 8k for the year, and have to reapply next year. i have a feeling since most ppl will qualify for in-state tuition, the grant will disappear. I really like the school though.

other ppl with grants, PM me the amounts?

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:19 pm

turkishangora wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:I'm not sure if anyone has received scholarship money that wasn't detailed in the phone call. However, apply for needaccess/FAFSA money as UCLA seems to be very generous with it.

I got my grant and i won't really say it was generous. esp taking into account the anticipated tuition hike. i might be in the minority though. what's the general grant amount? mine was under 8k for the year, and have to reapply next year. i have a feeling since most ppl will qualify for in-state tuition, the grant will disappear. I really like the school though.

You really think the grant would disappear because of in-state tuition? Mine was a bit more than $8k, and I would be angry if the $5k drop from out of state to in-instate tuition would cause me to lose that money. However, I don't even think I get to keep my grant money because I got a scholarship.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:34 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:41 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
Hopefullawstudent wrote:I'm sorry to the above poster for the nature of the phone call, but you are certainly in the vast minority (if not the only person so far) as having received anything but a terrific phone call. If you're this sensitive about the nature/tone of a phone call that is bringing you good news, then I wonder how the legal profession (which is fraught with relevant information delivered in not so cheery ways) will treat you.

Having said this, I understand that this was your acceptance phone call, and it should have been a happy one, but really should the phone call make or break your decision or willingness to attend? (Perhaps, but in my opinion, not really).

During my call I also got the impression that the dean would have rather been doing something other than calling. He seemed annoyed to be calling. I just assumed he was having a bad day.

I hear ya. I received a similar call from a woman at Boston University who sounded blase about my acceptance at best. Still, I had the common sense to realize she'd likely be making roughly 1,000+ calls over a short period of time and that it was in no way an accurate reflection of the moment, and certainly not an accurate impression of the quality of the school she was calling on's behalf.

turkishangora

Postby turkishangora » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:37 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
turkishangora wrote:

You really think the grant would disappear because of in-state tuition? Mine was a bit more than $8k, and I would be angry if the $5k drop from out of state to in-instate tuition would cause me to lose that money. However, I don't even think I get to keep my grant money because I got a scholarship.

well they give these out based on need. so even if my financial situation won't change (it won't), in-state tuition being down means less need - specifically around 8k less need. I really hope I'm wrong though.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:46 pm

turkishangora wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
turkishangora wrote:

well they give these out based on need. so even if my financial situation won't change (it won't), in-state tuition being down means less need - specifically around 8k less need. I really hope I'm wrong though.

For out of state students who will becoming in-state 2L the projected tuition cost is $50k $45k $50k over the next 3 years.

turkishangora

Postby turkishangora » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:53 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
turkishangora wrote:

For out of state students who will becoming in-state 2L the projected tuition cost is $50k $45k $50k over the next 3 years.

really? ok that's less than I thought. where did they put that out? thanks

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:55 pm

turkishangora wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
turkishangora wrote:

really? ok that's less than I thought. where did they put that out? thanks

It's not official, but the regents put out a report back in November. Check out the link in the comment section of my LSN.

kevdadude

Postby kevdadude » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:14 pm

No classes on Friday, so I popped by to take a tour. Beautiful campus, interesting class I got to sit in on, and the friendly admissions staff just made me want to go even more.

Really, really hope I get that magic call soon!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”