UCLA?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
smacroon

Re: UCLA?

Postby smacroon » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:31 pm

empire84 wrote:anybody else have yet to hear anything since being complete? complete since mid-nov here. any guess whether this is a good or bad sign? ~168, 3.5 and hating the waiting game.

Same sitch...getting antsy to say the least but no news is better then bad news? They probably just can't stop reading our PS because they are so much fun :wink:

kevdadude

Postby kevdadude » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:22 pm

empire84 wrote:
anybody else have yet to hear anything since being complete? complete since mid-nov here. any guess whether this is a good or bad sign? ~168, 3.5 and hating the waiting game.

Pretty similar situation here. Complete in January though, so probably facing a longer wait.

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:27 pm

Forgot to mention when I posted about my WL on Friday that I had applied to the Epstein program. If the theory that we're reviewed last is correct, then maybe they're finally getting to us (I was complete 12/4).

turkishangora

Postby turkishangora » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:31 pm

Flanker1067 wrote:What do people here think about the fact that USC appears to have outperformed UCLA in placement data for 2009?

For me personally, I was on the edge between them and now I think if it comes down to it im going to SC.

I was surprised...what about last year's data? and the year before? With UCLA's anticipated tuition hike USC is definitely looking good.

siaynoqq

Postby siaynoqq » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:45 pm

Flanker1067 wrote:What do people here think about the fact that USC appears to have outperformed UCLA in placement data for 2009?

For me personally, I was on the edge between them and now I think if it comes down to it im going to SC.

Where do you access such data?

alirod12

Postby alirod12 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:47 pm

I submitted in October, and haven't heard a whisper from them since my complete e-mail. Should I send them an e-mail expressing my continued interest? I have strong numbers for UCLA, and was hoping to get a scholarship as well.

turkishangora

Postby turkishangora » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:49 pm

siaynoqq wrote:

Where do you access such data?

I got mine from

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1

calgal17

Postby calgal17 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:12 pm

beef wellington wrote:Forgot to mention when I posted about my WL on Friday that I had applied to the Epstein program. If the theory that we're reviewed last is correct, then maybe they're finally getting to us (I was complete 12/4).

Interesting... I went complete on 12/4 and applied to the Epstein program as well. Did you find out about the WL via snail mail or email?

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:44 pm

calgal17 wrote:
beef wellington wrote:Forgot to mention when I posted about my WL on Friday that I had applied to the Epstein program. If the theory that we're reviewed last is correct, then maybe they're finally getting to us (I was complete 12/4).

Interesting... I went complete on 12/4 and applied to the Epstein program as well. Did you find out about the WL via snail mail or email?

Email.

savesthedayajb

Postby savesthedayajb » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:04 pm

It's been a while. Plz call me soon!

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:05 pm

savesthedayajb wrote:It's been a while. Plz call me soon!

:D +1

pearl_earrings

Postby pearl_earrings » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:31 pm

Waitlisted today by e-mail.
LSAT above 75th and super super close to GPA 75th.

dontstopbelivin

Postby dontstopbelivin » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:04 am

Do we know anything about asking UCLA to match other school's $$? Is it a "wait until you have the best offer" thing, or will they look at multiple other scholarships? Plus how late is too late for them to have funds left?

Also, any thoughts on whether it's better to go with a slightly higher-ranked or slightly lower-ranked competitor school? I'm not in at any within the #14-16 range.

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:16 am

dontstopbelivin wrote:Do we know anything about asking UCLA to match other school's $$? Is it a "wait until you have the best offer" thing, or will they look at multiple other scholarships? Plus how late is too late for them to have funds left?

Also, any thoughts on whether it's better to go with a slightly higher-ranked or slightly lower-ranked competitor school? I'm not in at any within the #14-16 range.

As per your last question: My impression is that the answer depends on where you want to work. UCLA is considered a "super-regional" with some national reach, so think about what that means. If you want the West Coast, it should be a top 10 consideration (at the very least). However, if you want to work on the East Coast, then perhaps going with the higher ranked T14s, or even a lower ranked T20 may be the better option. This advice goes for Texas and Vanderbilt - although Vanderbilt doesn't really have ONE absolute regional market it is geared towards.

In sum:

WEST - (T14+UCLA+USC)
EAST - (T14+maybe Vandy+BU+GW)
MIDWEST - (T14+MINN+ND+WUSTL)

You get the point...

-HL

dontstopbelivin

Postby dontstopbelivin » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:25 am

Hopefullawstudent wrote:
dontstopbelivin wrote:Do we know anything about asking UCLA to match other school's $$? Is it a "wait until you have the best offer" thing, or will they look at multiple other scholarships? Plus how late is too late for them to have funds left?

As per your last question: My impression is that the answer depends on where you want to work. UCLA is considered a "super-regional" with some national reach, so think about what that means. If you want the West Coast, it should be a top 10 consideration (at the very least). However, if you want to work on the East Coast, then perhaps going with the higher ranked T14s, or even a lower ranked T20 may be the better option. This advice goes for Texas and Vanderbilt - although Vanderbilt doesn't really have ONE absolute regional market it is geared towards.

In sum:

WEST - (T14+UCLA+USC)

You get the point...

-HL

Thanks for the input - I was actually asking more along of the lines of whether you should try to get UCLA to match the scholarship offer from a higher-ranked or lower-ranked school (sorry about that - rereading my post made me realize it was unclear).

Your advice is helpful, though...definitely something to mull over as I make my decision.

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:30 am

dontstopbelivin wrote:
Hopefullawstudent wrote:

In sum:

WEST - (T14+UCLA+USC)

You get the point...

-HL

Thanks for the input - I was actually asking more along of the lines of whether you should try to get UCLA to match the scholarship offer from a higher-ranked or lower-ranked school (sorry about that - rereading my post made me realize it was unclear).

Your advice is helpful, though...definitely something to mull over as I make my decision.

In that context: I would send them ALL information on scholarships - lower or higher. The more you can convey that other schools want you, the more likely they may up their offer.

Good luck in any case!

therealfp

Postby therealfp » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:44 pm

so I was at this law school reception in LA last night, and who did I bump into...the assistant dean of admissions at UCLA.

being as my application is still pending, I took the opportunity to charm the shit out of him (or at least try). anyway, he's a really nice guy, and he was very interested to know what schools I've been accepted to and what kind of money they were giving me. based on this interaction, I would have to say that UCLA will likely consider additional aid if you provide them with info about other offers. That doesn't mean you'll get any, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:46 pm

therealfp wrote:so I was at this law school reception in LA last night, and who did I bump into...the assistant dean of admissions at UCLA.

being as my application is still pending, I took the opportunity to charm the shit out of him (or at least try). anyway, he's a really nice guy, and he was very interested to know what schools I've been accepted to and what kind of money they were giving me. based on this interaction, I would have to say that UCLA will likely consider additional aid if you provide them with info about other offers. That doesn't mean you'll get any, but it doesn't hurt to try.

I'm afraid to ask for more money, because if they give me any more I would practically have to go :shock:

jay115

Postby jay115 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:09 pm

I got a decently hefty need-based financial aid grant! it was a nice surprise, considering I was accepted ED. I think with instate tuition and the grant I'll only need to pull federal loans to cover the rest.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:11 pm

jay115 wrote:I got a decently hefty need-based financial aid grant! it was a nice surprise, considering I was accepted ED. I think with instate tuition and the grant I'll only need to pull federal loans to cover the rest.

Congrats, they do seem to be very friendly with their grants. I wonder how the other schools will stack up.

existenz

Postby existenz » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:46 pm

jay115 wrote:I got a decently hefty need-based financial aid grant! it was a nice surprise, considering I was accepted ED. I think with instate tuition and the grant I'll only need to pull federal loans to cover the rest.

How big? Was it $10k+ per year? $20k?

I received an $11k need-based grant, but since I'm already getting $20k for merit it doesn't mean anything.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:48 pm

existenz wrote:

I received an $11k need-based grant, but since I'm already getting $20k for merit it doesn't mean anything.

What do you mean it doesn't mean anything? Its a 50% increase in your scholarship. I think that $12k is the biggest grant they give out.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:56 pm

still complete as of 11/3. UCLA, what's going on??

amichig

Postby amichig » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:55 pm

Complete since 11/3. My original complete email said that being complete this early on, they hope to have a decision by the end of February.

To UCLA: that means you have 3 business days to make a decision...please!

jay115

Postby jay115 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:12 pm

existenz wrote:

PM'd you. Doesn't 11+20=31, which is almost full in-state tuition cost?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”