UCLA?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
SHARK WEEK!

Re: UCLA?

Postby SHARK WEEK! » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:20 am

Torvon wrote:Is anyone considering paying sticker at UCLA? I'm trying to decide if it's worth it, but really I'm interested in being a prosecutor and I'm having a hard time turning down GULC's sweet LRAP for UCLA.

Of course there is the weather........mmmm.....weather....

I'm looking at in-state sticker at UCLA and would totally pay it. To the people who are freaking out about debt in law school, I hear ya. But really a law degree from a top 20 school is a phenomenal lifetime investment, bad current economy and all. And, sometimes you have to go under before you reach the top. UCLA is one of those schools that is definitely worth the extra $$ in my view (well, obviously). The weather, the purported camaraderie, the campus, and the prestige that comes with being at the top school in SoCal... Yep. I'm sold. :wink:

[BTW: I'm pretty much assigning zero credibility to the anti-UCLA trolls all over TLS who keep saying that in-state tuition will hit $50K+ at UCLA in 3 years' time. At the VERY most it will hit around $43-45K, which would still be at the current market rate, and likely below the competitive rate in 3 years.]

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:50 am

Torvon wrote:Is anyone considering paying sticker at UCLA? I'm trying to decide if it's worth it, but really I'm interested in being a prosecutor and I'm having a hard time turning down GULC's sweet LRAP for UCLA.

Depends on the alternatives I suppose. I for one would not consider UCLA at sticker, but I can definitely see why others would. I don't think it's a bad investment per se.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:54 pm

SHARK WEEK! wrote:BTW: I'm pretty much assigning zero credibility to the anti-UCLA trolls all over TLS who keep saying that in-state tuition will hit $50K+ at UCLA in 3 years' time. At the VERY most it will hit around $43-45K, which would still be at the current market rate, and likely below the competitive rate in 3 years.]

I assign 0 credibility to TLS posters as well, but you have to take UC regents seriously. If only so you can be more informed and plan accordingly. http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/regents/regmeet/nov09/f2.pdf

therealfp

Postby therealfp » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:08 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
SHARK WEEK! wrote:BTW: I'm pretty much assigning zero credibility to the anti-UCLA trolls all over TLS who keep saying that in-state tuition will hit $50K+ at UCLA in 3 years' time. At the VERY most it will hit around $43-45K, which would still be at the current market rate, and likely below the competitive rate in 3 years.]

I assign 0 credibility to TLS posters as well, but you have to take UC regents seriously. If only so you can be more informed and plan accordingly. http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/regents/regmeet/nov09/f2.pdf

great link...answered all my questions, and looks like UCLA students will fare better than Berkeley kids over the next few years, so that's a nice thought.

thatcrazieguy

Postby thatcrazieguy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:23 pm

I've been stalking these threads and am still exceedingly confused. I applied to both UCLA and Berkeley beginning of November. Been under review at Berkeley since November 18th and at UCLA since December 1st. I recognize Berkeley is still up in the air, but with my numbers (3.89 GPA / 169 LSAT) I figured I'd have heard from UCLA already? Already heard from better-ranked schools! Any insight into this?

therealfp

Postby therealfp » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:00 pm

thatcrazieguy wrote:I've been stalking these threads and am still exceedingly confused. I applied to both UCLA and Berkeley beginning of November. Been under review at Berkeley since November 18th and at UCLA since December 1st. I recognize Berkeley is still up in the air, but with my numbers (3.89 GPA / 169 LSAT) I figured I'd have heard from UCLA already? Already heard from better-ranked schools! Any insight into this?

I was rejected from Berkeley last week having been UR since 1/11.

As for UCLA, a quick scan of LSN shows that very few people UR on or after 12/1 have heard back yet, so we're in that boat together.

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:28 pm

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:36 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:Um... Discuss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW-mq0DNBF8

el oh el

tallboone

Postby tallboone » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:40 pm

los blancos wrote:

Depends on the alternatives I suppose. I for one would not consider UCLA at sticker, but I can definitely see why others would. I don't think it's a bad investment per se.

UCLA now has almost the exact same LRAP as Georgetown. So does UC Berkeley.
http://www.law.ucla.edu/home/index.asp?page=3302

fomenting

Postby fomenting » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:40 pm

ucla or upenn?!?! i cant decide!! my family lives in LA, so i'd be close ot them plus save on housing costs, but upenn is ivy league!!! someone help

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:51 pm

tallboone wrote:
los blancos wrote:

Seriously, that looks pretty awesome. When did they roll that out? I wonder how long before all the top schools upgrade their LRAPs to dovetail with PSLF.

(GULC's doesn't have the 35% over 55k thing right? GULC's is just 100% coverage up to 75k.)
Last edited by beef wellington on Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

A Swift

Postby A Swift » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:56 pm

thatcrazieguy wrote:I've been stalking these threads and am still exceedingly confused. I applied to both UCLA and Berkeley beginning of November. Been under review at Berkeley since November 18th and at UCLA since December 1st. I recognize Berkeley is still up in the air, but with my numbers (3.89 GPA / 169 LSAT) I figured I'd have heard from UCLA already? Already heard from better-ranked schools! Any insight into this?

I'm with you, but how do you know you are under review? I thought they only send a complete e-mail?

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:05 pm

tallboone wrote:
los blancos wrote:

If I'm reading the LRAPs correctly (and there is a really good chance I'm not) then UCLA has a "soft-cap" of $55,000 at which point there is a 35% contribution rate up to $80,000. From what I can tell GULC's "soft-cap" is at $75,000. What am I reading wrong?

savesthedayajb

Postby savesthedayajb » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:07 pm

When are more calls going to go out? It feels like it's been forever.

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:08 pm

Torvon wrote:
tallboone wrote:
los blancos wrote:

If I'm reading the LRAPs correctly (and there is a really good chance I'm not) then UCLA has a "soft-cap" of $55,000 at which point there is a 35% contribution rate up to $80,000. From what I can tell GULC's "soft-cap" is at $75,000. What am I reading wrong?

That's how I read them.

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:34 pm

Just got an email for need based grant...anyone else?

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:35 pm

fomenting wrote:ucla or upenn?!?! i cant decide!! my family lives in LA, so i'd be close ot them plus save on housing costs, but upenn is ivy league!!! someone help

I think I stand a pretty decent shot of getting into Cornell (even with the 52% app increase this year), and even though it isn't UPenn, it's still an Ivy. So, I'd be looking at a tough choice as well. My impression from asking around here on TLS ( :roll: ) is that UCLA is pretty much the automatic choice between Cornell and UCLA if the West Coast is what you love and where you want to work.

I admit, getting over the fact that I'd have to turn down an Ivy to attend would be difficult, but I'd be in pretty good company. [For what it's worth, my dad, my cousins, and a handful of people I know belong to the "In at Harvard, MIT, Princeton with scholarships, but got bigger scholarships elsewhere and attended the big state school to stay near family club... whew!" From what this has taught me in life, it isn't so much where you went as how you did, how you interview, and what the market is like while you're attending and once you leave. My dad just sold his small start up venture last week by the way for $100 million - non-Harvard degree and all! Imagine that.

I'd say stick with the family, ignore the vast majority of prestige-seeking TLSers and go with what YOU feel is best. Hey, if you're a prestige-seeking TLSer, then go to UPenn if not for that reason alone.]

My vote: UCLA. If you're as great as Penn says you are, go to UCLA, be happier, be closer to family, and prove it! I would love to meet you in the fall. :)

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:38 pm

WL by email. 3.6ish, 168. Time for the LOCI from heaven.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:39 pm

Torvon wrote:Just got an email for need based grant...anyone else?

Sure did, and wow I <3 UCLA.

smacroon

Postby smacroon » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:40 pm

savesthedayajb wrote:When are more calls going to go out? It feels like it's been forever.

Seems like it has been a year...would have liked a nice V-day present from them :lol:

tallboone

Postby tallboone » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:43 pm

Jericwithers wrote:

How did you guys apply for need based grants?

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:44 pm

tallboone wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

How did you guys apply for need based grants?

Need Access.org + FAFSA, but they only look at Need Access.

tallboone

Postby tallboone » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:00 pm

Thanks. Did you select only the schools you have been admitted to or all admits plus pending applications?

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:01 pm

tallboone wrote:Thanks. Did you select only the schools you have been admitted to or all admits plus pending applications?

All plus pending. It's the same price either way.

Oh, I also find it funny that they say right in the email, if this isn't competitive with other schools then let us know. heh

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:03 pm

Torvon wrote:
tallboone wrote:Thanks. Did you select only the schools you have been admitted to or all admits plus pending applications?

All plus pending. It's the same price either way.

Yup that was my strategy. I just hope it wasn't my Need Access form that caused me to be waitlisted at Chicago (it wasn't).

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”