UCLA?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
td6624

Re: UCLA?

Postby td6624 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:52 pm

I got a call Friday, acceptance e-mail yesterday. I sent Dean Schwarz an e-mail detailing a scholarship to GW, so I clearly don't have any qualms with telling them about lower-ranked schools' scholarships. hah. Although maybe I'd feel differently if I had money from a higher-ranked school...

Anyway, I got a response very soon after I sent the e-mail saying that the information will be forwarded to the scholarship committee and that a decision should be made by the end of the week. Which is awesome. UCLA seems to be pretty rapid-fire on just about everything for me. It is appreciated.

I applied to Berkeley, but with my numbers, I probably should have applied three months earlier than I did to have any shot. Still just "under review" since January 11th.

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:54 pm

td6624 wrote:I got a call Friday, acceptance e-mail yesterday. I sent Dean Schwarz an e-mail detailing a scholarship to GW, so I clearly don't have any qualms with telling them about lower-ranked schools' scholarships. hah. Although maybe I'd feel differently if I had money from a higher-ranked school...

Anyway, I got a response very soon after I sent the e-mail saying that the information will be forwarded to the scholarship committee and that a decision should be made by the end of the week. Which is awesome. UCLA seems to be pretty rapid-fire on just about everything for me. It is appreciated.

I applied to Berkeley, but with my numbers, I probably should have applied three months earlier than I did to have any shot. Still just "under review" since January 11th.

Congratulations!

Hm. Well once my cycle is "over" I may be sending in a similar letter. I received a $60k scholarship from a T20 and a full ride from another school in SoCal. I hope to make it clear that considering COL, I would probably need about $6k minimum a year to even EXIST down in SoCal for my three years.

-HL

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:53 pm

td6624 wrote:I got a call Friday, acceptance e-mail yesterday. I sent Dean Schwarz an e-mail detailing a scholarship to GW, so I clearly don't have any qualms with telling them about lower-ranked schools' scholarships. hah. Although maybe I'd feel differently if I had money from a higher-ranked school...

They are very friendly and prompt to respond to the people who are admitted. Seem a little slower in the whole decision making process though. I will have to try this matching program, but I will wait till I get a couple more offers and send it all in at once.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:04 pm

I really dislike that UCLA doesn't even have a status checker I can obsess over...

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:11 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:I really dislike that UCLA doesn't even have a status checker I can obsess over...

I think I would enjoy the process so much more if there were no status checkers at all. Obsessive USPS mail checking once a day is so much better than checking 10 status checkers. I kind of envy those who applied before the internets.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:42 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:I really dislike that UCLA doesn't even have a status checker I can obsess over...

I think I would enjoy the process so much more if there were no status checkers at all. Obsessive USPS mail checking once a day is so much better than checking 10 status checkers. I kind of envy those who applied before the internets.

Sometimes I think I would agree with you, but I live abroad and waiting for the mail is SUCH a bitch!

Slansky

Postby Slansky » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:56 pm

I did this last week and got a response from the scholarship committee yesterday. They reaffirmed that they're offering me $0 despite my having been offered more than half tuition at every other school that's accepted me. I do not get it.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:02 pm

Slansky wrote:

I did this last week and got a response from the scholarship committee yesterday. They reaffirmed that they're offering me $0 despite my having been offered more than half tuition at every other school that's accepted me. I do not get it.

Probably depends on your strength as a candidate, the ammount of money offered at other schools, the cost of attending those schools, and the quality/rankings of the other schools. Touch luck though :( .

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:12 pm

Slansky wrote:

It all comes down to the economic term: "willingness to pay". They are trying to read candidates as closely as they can to discern how likely it is that you will attend given the amount of money you have been offered at every school. They are trying to get "inside of your head" and map out your school list by choice. If they feel they are your top choice (sounds weird doesn't it?), it is economically efficient to offer you $0 as long as they believe you will attend at full cost.

Well, were they right? Is UCLA still at (or very near) the top of your list?

Slansky

Postby Slansky » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:55 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:
Slansky wrote:

It all comes down to the economic term: "willingness to pay". They are trying to read candidates as closely as they can to discern how likely it is that you will attend given the amount of money you have been offered at every school. They are trying to get "inside of your head" and map out your school list by choice. If they feel they are your top choice (sounds weird doesn't it?), it is economically efficient to offer you $0 as long as they believe you will attend at full cost.

No, they weren't. UCLA is my top choice in the sense that it's the school I most want to attend, but not in the sense that I'm willing to pay sticker over significant scholarship offers at similar schools. I thought I made all of that clear in the email. But, your explanation is still better than the possibility that they just don't like my app.

tallboone

Postby tallboone » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:59 pm

edited for mistake.
Last edited by tallboone on Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tallboone

Postby tallboone » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:00 pm

oops. missed the UVA acceptance. congrats on that. you should go there anyway, it's a better school.

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:57 pm

Slansky wrote:
Hopefullawstudent wrote:
Slansky wrote:

No, they weren't. UCLA is my top choice in the sense that it's the school I most want to attend, but not in the sense that I'm willing to pay sticker over significant scholarship offers at similar schools. I thought I made all of that clear in the email. But, your explanation is still better than the possibility that they just don't like my app.

Hm. Well, they got it half right at least. You admit that they are the school you most want to attend. Did you mention your UVA acceptance in your scholarship request? If so, I am rather baffled that they would decline to offer you any money whatsoever. With your UVA acceptance in the bag, they should have given you at least a little bit of money. Not a smart move on their part if you are as strong as your numbers suggest.

(There IS always the possibility that your numbers are stronger than your "potential" in the eyes of the admissions committee. In that case, they might be thinking, "Well, this person is good enough, but not worth the money." I know that sounds terrible, but admissions is all about the economics.)

I [strike]might[/strike] would try the following if I were you: I'd wait about a month. This will give the admissions committee time to "forget" your earlier request, also, in a month's time they will be seeing a lot of withdrawals (as most admissions committees will be). At that time I would send a letter of subtle regret, stating your near-full intention of enrolling at UVA, but how your heart is set on UCLA. If only they would give you some money, they'd have the chance to take a stellar student away from a higher ranked program. Just a thought. :wink:

Granted I gain admission at Duke or Michigan, I will be doing the above. UCLA is my #1 choice, but given the choice between $0 at UCLA and an acceptance to the T10, well, I'll have to take the T10.

Slansky

Postby Slansky » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:17 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:
Slansky wrote:
Hopefullawstudent wrote:
Slansky wrote:I did this last week and got a response from the scholarship committee yesterday. They reaffirmed that they're offering me $0 despite my having been offered more than half tuition at every other school that's accepted me. I do not get it.

Hm. Well, they got it half right at least. You admit that they are the school you most want to attend. Did you mention your UVA acceptance in your scholarship request? If so, I am rather baffled that they would decline to offer you any money whatsoever. With your UVA acceptance in the bag, they should have given you at least a little bit of money. Not a smart move on their part if you are as strong as your numbers suggest.

(There IS always the possibility that your numbers are stronger than your "potential" in the eyes of the admissions committee. In that case, they might be thinking, "Well, this person is good enough, but not worth the money." I know that sounds terrible, but admissions is all about the economics.)

I [strike]might[/strike] would try the following if I were you: I'd wait about a month. This will give the admissions committee time to "forget" your earlier request, also, in a month's time they will be seeing a lot of withdrawals (as most admissions committees will be). At that time I would send a letter of subtle regret, stating your near-full intention of enrolling at UVA, but how your heart is set on UCLA. If only they would give you some money, they'd have the chance to take a stellar student away from a higher ranked program. Just a thought. :wink:

Granted I gain admission at Duke or Michigan, I will be doing the above. UCLA is my #1 choice, but given the choice between $0 at UCLA and an acceptance to the T10, well, I'll have to take the T10.

Yes, I mentioned not only the UVA acceptance, but also the $25000/yr they offered me. So apparently there must be some soft factors about me UCLA doesn't like. And that's ok. I might try that subtle regret idea, although it'll be 100% true--there's no way I can go to UCLA at sticker. So I may give them one more chance down the line when I've settled on which other school I'm picking... see if they step up.

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:11 pm

Slansky wrote:
Hopefullawstudent wrote:
Slansky wrote:
Hopefullawstudent wrote: I did this last week and got a response from the scholarship committee yesterday. They reaffirmed that they're offering me $0 despite my having been offered more than half tuition at every other school that's accepted me. I do not get it.

Yes, I mentioned not only the UVA acceptance, but also the $25000/yr they offered me. So apparently there must be some soft factors about me UCLA doesn't like. And that's ok. I might try that subtle regret idea, although it'll be 100% true--there's no way I can go to UCLA at sticker. So I may give them one more chance down the line when I've settled on which other school I'm picking... see if they step up.

Where do you want to practice, Slansky?

Slansky

Postby Slansky » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:28 am

Hopefullawstudent wrote:
Slansky wrote:
Hopefullawstudent wrote:
Slansky wrote:

Where do you want to practice, Slansky?

SoCal. Pretty firmly decided on that :)

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:34 am

Slansky wrote:

+1. Law school app cycle can really be hell for people who wanna get SoCal Big Law and have the numbers to get into MVPDN but not Berk or Stanford.

SHARK WEEK!

Postby SHARK WEEK! » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:42 am

los blancos wrote:
Slansky wrote:

+1. Law school app cycle can really be hell for people who wanna get SoCal Big Law and have the numbers to get into MVPDN but not Berk or Stanford.

For Berkeley, it's not the numbers so much as the softs. But I know what you mean. I'm sure UCLA knows this and they try to play it to their advantage. I've seen the placement statistics and Virginia places well in SoCal, but so does UCLA (obvi). Thus, if SoCal is the market you want for sure, it sure would be nice to be able to study in Westwood for 3 years instead of back east... :P

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:48 am

SHARK WEEK! wrote:
los blancos wrote:
Slansky wrote:

For Berkeley, it's not the numbers so much as the softs. But I know what you mean. I'm sure UCLA knows this and they try to play it to their advantage. I've seen the placement statistics and Virginia places well in SoCal, but so does UCLA (obvi). Thus, if SoCal is the market you want for sure, it sure would be nice to be able to study in Westwood for 3 years instead of back east... :P

Well, for me, SoCal >>> anywhere else. But I'd rather end up with a good job outside of SoCal than a crappy job in CA, and it seems that you have to do significantly better at UCLA than MVPDN to get a market-paying job. At the end of the day, I'm not willing to sacrifice job prospects for geography, and I figure that if I do as well at Duke as I would have to do at UCLA to get Big Law ITE, I'd probably get CA anyways. It would take a massive amount of $$$ to pry me away from the T10.

TheWire

Postby TheWire » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:29 am

los blancos wrote:
Slansky wrote:

I want to practice in soCal and UCLA did up its $$ offer after I contacted them. But, I'm not sure Berk. or Stanford are necessary for Biglaw. Everyone I talk to raves about anywhere HYSCCN being almost as reliable as berk. because there is less competition for west coast market from most of the schools. (chicago,columbia,nyu,and even HY seem to go for other markets more so than LA)

I only have NYU in the bag, but it would be difficult for me to turn it down in favor of UCLA...

Caution: a lot of this is pure conjecture...just some thoughts

gilly

Postby gilly » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:44 am

los blancos wrote:
Slansky wrote:

Me too!! Well, maybe, we'll see about the MVPDN.

PS. los blancos I love your profile (and Berkeley :) )

SHARK WEEK!

Postby SHARK WEEK! » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:40 pm

I posted these in the UT vs. UCLA thread, but really, that was mean since the UT folks shouldn't be getting their hopes up. :P In the meantime, something to look forward to!:

--ImageRemoved--
--ImageRemoved--

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:42 pm

Shark, I know EXACTLY where that 2nd picture you posted was taken. :mrgreen:

SHARK WEEK!

Postby SHARK WEEK! » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:44 pm

los blancos wrote:Shark, I know EXACTLY where that 2nd picture you posted was taken. :mrgreen:

Okay, okay. So it is a little south of L.A.... :wink:

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:47 pm

te="SHARK WEEK!"]
los blancos wrote:Shark, I know EXACTLY where that 2nd picture you posted was taken. :mrgreen:

Okay, okay. So it is a little south of L.A.... :wink:[/quote]ev
I kind of figured those places wern't UCLA, but I didn't want to be the UT guy taking offense on the UCLA thread. How I would love to live there though.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”