UCLA?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JetstoRJC

Re: UCLA?

Postby JetstoRJC » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:11 pm

regatsrj wrote:
JetstoRJC wrote:
td6624 wrote:Can anyone share info on UCLA's scholarships? I doubt I will receive one, but do they share that on the phone call or in next week's mailings?

Most people I think receive the info during the phone call. However, UCLA encourages admitted students to let them know about other scholarship offers so they can stay "competitive". Worked for me :wink:

Where did you hear this? It is written somewhere? I have a nice scholarship from a higher-ranked school, but I'm not sure how to tactfully inform UCLA of this.

They say specifically to tell them of other scholarship offers in the acceptance e-mail they send.

regatsrj

Postby regatsrj » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:20 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:
regatsrj wrote:
JetstoRJC wrote:
td6624 wrote:Can anyone share info on UCLA's scholarships? I doubt I will receive one, but do they share that on the phone call or in next week's mailings?

Most people I think receive the info during the phone call. However, UCLA encourages admitted students to let them know about other scholarship offers so they can stay "competitive". Worked for me :wink:

Where did you hear this? It is written somewhere? I have a nice scholarship from a higher-ranked school, but I'm not sure how to tactfully inform UCLA of this.

It's in the accepted students email. Somewhere near the bottom.

Ah, got it! Totally missed it the first time. Thanks for the headsup!

turkishangora

Postby turkishangora » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:39 pm

How long till I get the email and mail after the phone call? ANd what's in the package?!

opus127

Postby opus127 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:45 pm

JetstoRJC wrote:
regatsrj wrote:
JetstoRJC wrote:

They say specifically to tell them of other scholarship offers in the acceptance e-mail they send.

For those who have successfully negotiated scholarship $ w/UCLA, have you only mentioned offers from higher-ranked schools (T14), or have you mentioned substantial awards from slightly lower ones (T20)? Please PM me if you're willing to share your experience but don't want it out in the open.
Thanks!

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:58 pm

turkishangora wrote:How long till I get the email and mail after the phone call? ANd what's in the package?!

It took about 10 days after the phone call for mine to arrive. It contains:

- A nice, full-color "UCLA LAW" magazine
- A colorful and photograph-laden "Bulletin" with various bits of information such as a message from the Dean, a note about the curriculum, career services, and UCLA's campus
-The acceptance letter
- A music filled, sound byte packed, and fully narrated UCLA DVD!
- A pre-written acceptance withdrawal letter addressed to USC, - just sign! (I kid, :lol: )

The admitted student day invitation came about five days later.

-HL

turkishangora

Postby turkishangora » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:06 am

Hopefullawstudent wrote:
turkishangora wrote:How long till I get the email and mail after the phone call? ANd what's in the package?!

It took about 10 days after the phone call for mine to arrive. It contains:

- A nice, full-color "UCLA LAW" magazine
- A colorful and photograph-laden "Bulletin" with various bits of information such as a message from the Dean, a note about the curriculum, career services, and UCLA's campus
-The acceptance letter
- A music filled, sound byte packed, and fully narrated UCLA DVD!
- A pre-written acceptance withdrawal letter addressed to USC, - just sign! (I kid, :lol: )

The admitted student day invitation came about five days later.

-HL

:lol: Thanks! I love DVDs :D

jay115

Postby jay115 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:10 am

Hopefullawstudent wrote:Considering the budget problems, would it be totally crappy of me to request a travel stipend? (Hey, I've got budget problems of my own!)

Yeah I dunno if I'm allowed (either technically or morally) to request a travel stipend as I know I'm confirmed to attend UCLA next fall... I guess there's no harm in asking

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:57 am

jay115 wrote:
Hopefullawstudent wrote:Considering the budget problems, would it be totally crappy of me to request a travel stipend? (Hey, I've got budget problems of my own!)

Yeah I dunno if I'm allowed (either technically or morally) to request a travel stipend as I know I'm confirmed to attend UCLA next fall... I guess there's no harm in asking

Jay, did you apply ED? Or, are you saying you sent in your seat deposit?

jay115

Postby jay115 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:16 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:
jay115 wrote:

Both

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:12 pm

jay115 wrote:
Hopefullawstudent wrote:
jay115 wrote:

Both

Hm. I doubt they'll give you a travel stipend in that case, but no harm in asking! For the rest of us, I hope they're thinking: "If we fly this person out here, they'll not want to leave!"

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:15 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:I hope they're thinking: "If we fly this person out here, they'll not want to leave!"

Should I make the flight one way then :lol: .

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:16 pm

hai UCLA, wanna make my day?

MahaloMontana

Postby MahaloMontana » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:19 pm

lawblahblah wrote:
ValiantVic wrote:
hopefulincal wrote:
ornbarn wrote:Also got a call from Dean Schwartz today. In!

(3.6/171) Complete on 1/22.

What's going on? I have very similar stats and have been complete since mid November and haven't heard anything...

Ditto.

October and still nothing.

Similar stats and submitted in November! In other places but still waiting on UCLA. Did you guys apply to Berkeley as well? I'm wondering if that has something to do with it.

jay115

Postby jay115 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:51 pm

redhead77 wrote:
Similar stats and submitted in November! In other places but still waiting on UCLA. Did you guys apply to Berkeley as well? I'm wondering if that has something to do with it.

I heard that UCLA and Cal "split" applicants for UG admissions, and I think a lot of people think that's the case. Although I do know a lot of people that were accepted to both Cal and UCLA for both UG and law schools...

calgal17

Postby calgal17 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:51 pm

jay115 wrote:
redhead77 wrote:

I heard that UCLA and Cal "split" applicants for UG admissions, and I think a lot of people think that's the case. Although I do know a lot of people that were accepted to both Cal and UCLA for both UG and law schools...

Yeah that's true. I was rejected from UCLA for UG, but went to Cal. I'm from SoCal, so I thought that's why.

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:10 pm

jay115 wrote:
redhead77 wrote:

+1

The moment I hung up the phone with Dean Schwartz, I got a ding email from Berkeley. Here's probably how it worked:

Dean Schwartz: "Alright. Next up, Hopefullawstudent."
Dean Tom: "Flip for it?"
Dean Schwartz: "Heads." [coin is flipped]
Dean Tom: "Tails. You lose sucker."
Dean Schwartz: "Sigh. Alright, I'll call her..." [gets on the phone]
Me: "Hello?"
Dean Schwartz: "Hi, Hopefullawstudent?"
Me: "Yes?"
Dean Schwartz: "UCLA is delighted to offer you admission to the law school!"
Dean Tom: "Lolz."
Dean Schwartz: "Oh, grow up."
Last edited by Hopefullawstudent on Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:16 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:
+1

The moment I hung up the phone with Dean Schwartz, I got a ding email from Berkeley. Here's probably how it worked:

Dean Schwartz: "Alright. Next up, Hopefullawstudent."
Dean Tom: "Flip for it?"
Dean Schwartz: "Heads." [coin is flipped]
Dean Tom: "Tails. You lose sucker."
Dean Schwartz: "Sigh. Alright, I'll call her..." [gets on the phone]
Me: "Hello?"
Dean Schwartz: "Hi, Hopefullawstudent?"
Me: "Yes?"
Dean Schwartz: "UCLA is delighted to offer you admission to the law school!"
Dean Tom: "Lolz."
Dean Schwartz: "Oh, grow up."

Actually lol'd at this. Nicely done.

86revolt

Postby 86revolt » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:33 pm

calgal17 wrote:
jay115 wrote:
redhead77 wrote:

Yeah that's true. I was rejected from UCLA for UG, but went to Cal. I'm from SoCal, so I thought that's why.

i doubt that's the reason. i got rejected at UCLA but got into Cal...from bay area.

hopefulincal

Postby hopefulincal » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:39 pm

Interesting theory. Although a lot of people on TLS have been accepted to both already. Is it because they are auto-admits and we are borderlines?

For those with similar stats, early submission, and also applied to Berkeley, are you guys also in FR?

calgal17

Postby calgal17 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:48 pm

86revolt wrote:
calgal17 wrote:
jay115 wrote:
redhead77 wrote:

i doubt that's the reason. i got rejected at UCLA but got into Cal...from bay area.

Eh. Just a theory. I would have chosen Berk anyway so I didn't care. :D Go bears!

MahaloMontana

Postby MahaloMontana » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:53 pm

hopefulincal wrote:Interesting theory. Although a lot of people on TLS have been accepted to both already. Is it because they are auto-admits and we are borderlines?

For those with similar stats, early submission, and also applied to Berkeley, are you guys also in FR?

Well, LSP says I'm auto-admit at UCLA. Not sure what to make of those predictors anymore, though. Certainly not auto-admit at Cal; still waiting. No FR.

SHARK WEEK!

Postby SHARK WEEK! » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:36 pm

So all of this talk about UCLA and how it is on the rise... and, what if next year or in a few years UCLA cracks the "T-14". Well, rumor has it that in 1987 UCLA was in fact ranked #14. That year it beat Cornell for the 14th spot. Can anyone confirm this?

booboo

Postby booboo » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:41 pm

SHARK WEEK! wrote:So all of this talk about UCLA and how it is on the rise... and, what if next year or in a few years UCLA cracks the "T-14". Well, rumor has it that in 1987 UCLA was in fact ranked #14. That year it beat Cornell for the 14th spot. Can anyone confirm this?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_eF5IpaOMmrY/S ... NWRT14.png

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:43 pm

booboo wrote:
SHARK WEEK! wrote:So all of this talk about UCLA and how it is on the rise... and, what if next year or in a few years UCLA cracks the "T-14". Well, rumor has it that in 1987 UCLA was in fact ranked #14. That year it beat Cornell for the 14th spot. Can anyone confirm this?

Whoaw, Texas was #11? From what I had seen the year US News rankings debuted Texas was #14. I have no doubt that UCLA was in T14 at one time also.

Did US News rankings start in 86 or 87?

SHARK WEEK!

Postby SHARK WEEK! » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:54 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
booboo wrote:

Whoaw, Texas was #11? From what I had seen the year US News rankings debuted Texas was #14. I have no doubt that UCLA was in T14 at one time also.

Did US News rankings start in 86 or 87?

Yea I was really surprised at Texas being #11. I thought the USNWR began in 1983. That year Michigan was #3!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”