UCLA?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Hattori Hanzo

Re: UCLA?

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:39 pm

I missed a call too. Called back and he was in a meeting :(

ornbarn

Postby ornbarn » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:41 pm

Also got a call from Dean Schwartz today. In!

(3.6/171) Complete on 1/22.

td6624

Postby td6624 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:42 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:I missed a call too. Called back and he was in a meeting :(

oh no! well at least you know!

i mean i doubt they call about rejections or waitlists. hah.

td6624

Postby td6624 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:43 pm

Can anyone share info on UCLA's scholarships? I doubt I will receive one, but do they share that on the phone call or in next week's mailings?

SHARK WEEK!

Postby SHARK WEEK! » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:50 pm

td6624 wrote:Thanks!! I kind of felt like a bumbling idiot on the phone, but I imagine he gets a lot of that.

I had a mouthful of cheetos when he called. :?

JetstoRJC

Postby JetstoRJC » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:54 pm

td6624 wrote:Can anyone share info on UCLA's scholarships? I doubt I will receive one, but do they share that on the phone call or in next week's mailings?

Most people I think receive the info during the phone call. However, UCLA encourages admitted students to let them know about other scholarship offers so they can stay "competitive". Worked for me :wink:

td6624

Postby td6624 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:58 pm

JetstoRJC wrote:
td6624 wrote:Can anyone share info on UCLA's scholarships? I doubt I will receive one, but do they share that on the phone call or in next week's mailings?

Most people I think receive the info during the phone call. However, UCLA encourages admitted students to let them know about other scholarship offers so they can stay "competitive". Worked for me :wink:

Innnnteresting. I will probably go that route as well. Seems so presumptuous! But I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:59 pm

Congrats to the new admits!! Dean Schwartz is a really nice guy it seems.

I just got a very classy invitation in the mail to the ASW on March 15th (and I think there's one on April 18th). Most schools send out an email, but UCLA really upped the ante.

td6624

Postby td6624 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:01 pm

JetstoRJC wrote:

Oh, also, how specifically did you go about this? E-mail the admissions office? Tell them what schools and how much? Call them?

so many questions, sorry. haha.

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:26 pm

td6624 wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:I missed a call too. Called back and he was in a meeting :(

oh no! well at least you know!

i mean i doubt they call about rejections or waitlists. hah.

Yeah I called back again and I am IN! He didn't mention anything about scholarship so I guess I didn't get anything. Still thrilling!

hopefulincal

Postby hopefulincal » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:41 pm

ornbarn wrote:Also got a call from Dean Schwartz today. In!

What's going on? I have very similar stats and have been complete since mid November and haven't heard anything...

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:49 pm

The DVD in the acceptance package is a nice touch. It makes me sad that Dean Schill has left though. What is he thinking moving to Hyde Park. :shock: Just kidding of course.

ValiantVic

Postby ValiantVic » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:54 pm

hopefulincal wrote:

What's going on? I have very similar stats and have been complete since mid November and haven't heard anything...

Ditto.

lawblahblah

Postby lawblahblah » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:39 pm

ValiantVic wrote:
hopefulincal wrote:

Ditto.

October and still nothing.

JetstoRJC

Postby JetstoRJC » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:51 pm

td6624 wrote:
JetstoRJC wrote:

Oh, also, how specifically did you go about this? E-mail the admissions office? Tell them what schools and how much? Call them?

so many questions, sorry. haha.

PM'd you

keeptellingmethat

Postby keeptellingmethat » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:08 pm

There is a conversation going on about using the word "unequivocal." Why does this matter? It is up to the candidate to accept or decline once an offer is put out, right? And it is up to you how you convey your interest? Just curious what people think.

SHARK WEEK!

Postby SHARK WEEK! » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:32 pm

keeptellingmethat wrote:There is a conversation going on about using the word "unequivocal." Why does this matter? It is up to the candidate to accept or decline once an offer is put out, right? And it is up to you how you convey your interest? Just curious what people think.

Are you referring to the conversation on page 61 of this thread? If you read it carefully, that conversation was actually about how it wasn't a question of equivocation, but rather a question of whether one's desire to attend or one's promise to attend was communicated in the LOCI.

You can - and should - state your desire to attend unequivocally. However you should not unequivocally state a promise to attend if you aren't sincere, as that constitutes a contract and you can be held pursuant to it. In other words, you can't just pad your LOCI with whatever you want. Don't make a written promise if you aren't willing to live up to it.

(Obviously, you're going to roll your eyes and say, "no doi." Oh well. :roll: :wink: )

therealfp

Postby therealfp » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:39 pm

smacroon wrote:
imisscollege wrote:I also would like somebody to briefly discuss the different "scenes" as well as their proximity to the campus

Anybody else with borderline wl/accept numbers go complete in Nov and still no peep?

Yes! I am 75th for GPA and <50th for LSAT but thought I had a decent chance with softs/UCLA program essay but I am starting to lose my mind :shock:

Lived in Hermosa Beach for awhile...the towns south of Santa Monica are fun more chill areas to get out of the city

dinged from Berkeley this afternoon, hoping UCLA is on my side but still waiting for the call.

Having gone to college and lived throughout the LA area for the past 8 years, I'll jump on the scene question:

Los Feliz/SilverLake is my favorite part of the city, albeit filled with Hipsters, and has the best bars and music venues
Santa Monica is a nice mix of young and old, trendy and laid back
Hollywood is ultra-trendy, too expensive, too pretentious, but a great time if you're looking for a drunken one night stand
Mid-town (i.e. KoreaTown to Century City) has a few spots here and there, but nothing too crazy to talk about
Culver City is sort of a mainstreamed version of SilverLake, with a bunch of cool bars and restaurants, but without the constant hipster vibe, and it's an easy drive from Westwood
Westwood itself is pretty great...I went to USC, and we are all jealous of UCLA's location
Downtown has had a bad rep for a while, but in the last couple years it has really become a solid place to live, work, eat and party

And everything is a 20 minute drive or a 1.5 hour bus from everything else

SHARK WEEK!

Postby SHARK WEEK! » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:40 pm

Anyone looking at the UCLA-RAND Center for Law and Public Policy? It sounds interesting. Does anyone know how/when to go about applying for the fellowship?

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:34 pm

Rec'd a very nice invitation to visit in March. Looks like I've got a vacation to plan!

Jericwithers

Postby Jericwithers » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:39 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:Rec'd a very nice invitation to visit in March. Looks like I've got a vacation to plan!

Me too! I love using law school as an excuse to take time off and go all across the country.

Illijah

Postby Illijah » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:59 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
Hopefullawstudent wrote:Rec'd a very nice invitation to visit in March. Looks like I've got a vacation to plan!

Me too! I love using law school as an excuse to take time off and go all across the country.

+1000

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:13 pm

Considering the budget problems, would it be totally crappy of me to request a travel stipend? (Hey, I've got budget problems of my own!)

regatsrj

Postby regatsrj » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:58 pm

JetstoRJC wrote:

Where did you hear this? It is written somewhere? I have a nice scholarship from a higher-ranked school, but I'm not sure how to tactfully inform UCLA of this.

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:09 pm

regatsrj wrote:
JetstoRJC wrote:

Where did you hear this? It is written somewhere? I have a nice scholarship from a higher-ranked school, but I'm not sure how to tactfully inform UCLA of this.

It's in the accepted students email. Somewhere near the bottom.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”