UCLA?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MURPH

Re: UCLA?

Postby MURPH » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:44 am

Hopefullawstudent wrote:
Veritas wrote:
Hopefullawstudent wrote:Wow. I had crossed U San Diego Law School off my list, but they just offered me $120K. What do people think: UCLA in-state or San Diego practically full-ride? I basically know that I want to practice in SoCal.

-HL

wow! congrats, I'm still waiting to hear from them about the money.

Are there any stipulations for the money?

Yes. The award is only paid in full if I finish the 1L year in the top third of the class. It is reduced to ~20K renewable per year as long as I maintain a particular GPA. Etc. It took them a while to get that scholarship info out!

I would consider where you want to spend three years and then practice/live. I've never spent much time in California but everyone says how great San Diego is. Fewer people rave about LA.

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:15 am

MURPH wrote:I would consider where you want to spend three years and then practice/live. I've never spent much time in California but everyone says how great San Diego is. Fewer people rave about LA.

I agree generally with the sentiment about L.A. (as in downtown L.A.). However, Westwood I've heard, is its own thing. It's a nice college town, and I can see myself enjoying living and studying there for the next three years. In terms of where I end up working, who knows. But the data say that a UCLA degree will transfer really well in San Diego, while a USD degree will not transfer as well to Los Angeles.

With those stipulations thrown in, I agree with the earlier sentiment: Probably not worth it...

tallboone

Postby tallboone » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:23 am

Alright, as a Bruin, let me clarify a few things. Westwood is not a college town. Westwood is part of Los Angeles, tucked roughly in between Santa Monica to the west, Culver City to the south and Beverly Hills/Bell Air to the north and east. It is a neighborhood, nothing more. You will need a car to successfully get out of the small Westwood neighborhood. I love UCLA and Westwood is great, but is certainly not a little college town like Ann Arbor. It's more comparable to Hyde Park in Chicago in it's relation to the rest of the city.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:25 am

tallboone wrote:Alright, as a Bruin, let me clarify a few things. Westwood is not a college town. Westwood is part of Los Angeles, tucked roughly in between Santa Monica to the west, Culver City to the south and Beverly Hills/Bell Air to the north and east. It is a neighborhood, nothing more. You will need a car to successfully get out of the small Westwood neighborhood. I love UCLA and Westwood is great, but is certainly not a little college town like Ann Arbor. It's more comparable to Hyde Park in Chicago in it's relation to the rest of the city.

yeah, +1. except hyde park sucks. westwood is really nice. man, i'd love to go to school there. not a better setting in the t20 except for berkeley IMO

jimmyd11011

Postby jimmyd11011 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:34 am

um...complete mid-october, haven't heard a word. Did they lose my application? I should probably email, huh?

ValiantVic

Postby ValiantVic » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:37 am

jimmyd11011 wrote:um...complete mid-october, haven't heard a word. Did they lose my application? I should probably email, huh?

Ditto.

beaumondep

Postby beaumondep » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:38 am

Wow you've been waiting awhile--I almost feel silly moping about my 11/17 date. Are you considering sending a LOCI?

jimmyd11011

Postby jimmyd11011 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:43 am

beaumondep wrote:Wow you've been waiting awhile--I almost feel silly moping about my 11/17 date. Are you considering sending a LOCI?

I'm thinking more along of the lines of just an email inquiring about my status instead of a LOCI. I'm almost sure I'm going to pick Boalt over UCLA, though I want to see if they'll offer me money. I can't really see them giving me any though considering how long it's been.

beaumondep

Postby beaumondep » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:47 am

jimmyd11011 wrote:
beaumondep wrote:Wow you've been waiting awhile--I almost feel silly moping about my 11/17 date. Are you considering sending a LOCI?

I'm thinking more along of the lines of just an email inquiring about my status instead of a LOCI. I'm almost sure I'm going to pick Boalt over UCLA, though I want to see if they'll offer me money. I can't really see them giving me any though considering how long it's been.

You never know, but congrats on Boalt...I'm still waiting to hear back from FR. The waiting game's a paiiin.

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:57 am

tallboone wrote:Alright, as a Bruin, let me clarify a few things. Westwood is not a college town. Westwood is part of Los Angeles, tucked roughly in between Santa Monica to the west, Culver City to the south and Beverly Hills/Bell Air to the north and east. It is a neighborhood, nothing more. You will need a car to successfully get out of the small Westwood neighborhood. I love UCLA and Westwood is great, but is certainly not a little college town like Ann Arbor. It's more comparable to Hyde Park in Chicago in it's relation to the rest of the city.

Alright. Point taken: Westwood is a neighborhood (though a pretty big one and probably more like a district), not a town. But, let me clarify a couple of things: As Ann Arbor, Michigan and Hyde Park, Chicago are my two hometowns, I must re-characterize your characterizations of these two unique places.

Don't let the fact that it is in Michigan fool you. Ann Arbor is a mid-size full blown city, home to Google, Pfizer, Domino's Pizza Corporation, and the world's largest stadium (seats 115,000 people). YES Michigan's stadium is bigger than your Rose Bowl, and our team has played more "Rose Bowls" in your own stadium than your team has! :lol: Ann Arbor's population is also roughly 100,000 people, or 150,000 people including the University of Michigan. The City of Ann Arbor is a lot bigger than the university that houses it.

Hyde Park on the other hand, is a neighborhood in the truest sense. It is four blocks by four blocks. That's it. The University of Chicago is built in the Oxford-Cambridge style, so it is extremely compact and only takes up about 90 acres or so. It is desolate, cold, and absolutely NOTHING like Westwood. It's more like hogwarts lol. Wow, I cannot state that point enough. Observe:

--ImageRemoved-- --ImageRemoved-- --ImageRemoved-- --ImageRemoved-- Image

Point of all this: Westwood is probably somewhere right in the middle of a "town" and a "neighborhood". It's, well probably more like a district. But it is not comparable at all to Ann Arbor or Hyde Park. Compared to these unique places, it's more like, well, a separate entity within a large city, but not like Hyde Park..

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:36 am

all Westwood is is a collection of restaurants and stores about 1/4 mile from campus. Other than that, there is nothing to distinguish it from your next overcrowded Los Angeles neighborhood. Although it was fun and interesting for the first year or two...I can't wait to get out of here :lol:

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:16 am

msch0i wrote:all Westwood is is a collection of restaurants and stores about 1/4 mile from campus. Other than that, there is nothing to distinguish it from your next overcrowded Los Angeles neighborhood. Although it was fun and interesting for the first year or two...I can't wait to get out of here :lol:

I think that's how the argument got started: if you have a car you can get out ;)

Is there anyone who never got a complete email? Submitted 11/20, not a peep.

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:50 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:
msch0i wrote:all Westwood is is a collection of restaurants and stores about 1/4 mile from campus. Other than that, there is nothing to distinguish it from your next overcrowded Los Angeles neighborhood. Although it was fun and interesting for the first year or two...I can't wait to get out of here :lol:

I think that's how the argument got started: if you have a car you can get out ;)

You didn't get a complete e-mail? You should've gotten one a week or two after submission :shock:

SHARK WEEK!

Postby SHARK WEEK! » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:04 pm

msch0i wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:

You didn't get a complete e-mail? You should've gotten one a week or two after submission :shock:

Ya. Call the office if you haven't gone complete yet!!

Also, I know lots of people with Ann Arbor - Hyde Park connections. Weird.

jay115

Postby jay115 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:34 pm

except you probably wont get shot at in westwood

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:36 pm

I am about ready to call and accept myself.

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:39 pm

There are only two bars in Westwood, and they both suck. This is important.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:45 pm

Because of all the shit-talking, I just feel it necessary to say that I love Hyde Park, and I've never felt unsafe there. I'm tough, but I'm also a small, blonde girl. Haha

roundabout

Postby roundabout » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:37 pm

CAHopeful wrote:
roundabout wrote:Have any people who applied to the Epstein program heard yet? Does anyone know if they review these at different times?

There's a separate thread for Epstein applicants that I've found helpful: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=104536.

But the general consensus seems to be that we'll have to wait longer as we theoretically have two separate apps. that need to be reviewed by two separate committees. And, apparently you can possibly be rejected from UCLA but accepted to Epstein, which could in turn put you back into UCLA (or vice versa). Complicated process.

Thanks. I posted on the other thread but didn't get a response so posted here.

exdubliner

Postby exdubliner » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:13 pm

Veritas wrote:I am about ready to call and accept myself.

+1

visited the school the other day and couldn't help but stop and stare at the big RESTRICTED ENTRY sign on the admissions office door...

gobears09

Postby gobears09 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:30 pm

I applied 1/15 and still have not received complete email.... did it take longer than 3 weeks for anyone?

savesthedayajb

Postby savesthedayajb » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:35 pm

I waited four weeks and never received one. So I emailed the admissions office and they said they did send me a complete email. I never received it, so email them and find out if you went complete yet or not.

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:35 pm

gobears09 wrote:I applied 1/15 and still have not received complete email.... did it take longer than 3 weeks for anyone?

yes, mine took 22 days :)

imisscollege

Postby imisscollege » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:45 pm

holybartender wrote:There are only two bars in Westwood, and they both suck. This is important.

How cabbable/public transporationable are bars that "don't suck" from the UCLA campus/where students might be living?

holybartender

Postby holybartender » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:48 pm

You aren't going to be taking the bus. Honestly you're better off having a DD in LA than dealing with long cab rides or public transportation.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”