UCLA?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
imisscollege
Posts: 438
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby imisscollege » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:18 pm

give me newssssssssssss ucla. just got rejected from boalt i need good CA news cause I would not pick USC over UT or BC/BU. it's been soo longggggg

User avatar
TheWire
Posts: 480
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby TheWire » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:58 pm

I was wondering, does anyone know what the actual tuition costs are going to be?
Last edited by TheWire on Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:01 pm

TheWire wrote:So i just got an u pdated scholly offer and I am somewhat pleased...I was wondering, does anyone know what the actual tuition costs are going to be?


*shrug* alot? too much?

How did you get them to update your scholly offer?

User avatar
DallasCowboy
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:47 am

Re: UCLA?

Postby DallasCowboy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:30 pm

Thanks, HL. I'll wait a couple weeks.

User avatar
calicocat
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby calicocat » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:46 pm

TheWire wrote:I was wondering, does anyone know what the actual tuition costs are going to be?


Your firstborn and a pint of blood? Along with 50k a year? Sound about right?

Does anyone know if they call international students?

savesthedayajb
Posts: 528
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:21 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby savesthedayajb » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:48 pm

Oli wrote:
TheWire wrote:I was wondering, does anyone know what the actual tuition costs are going to be?


Your firstborn and a pint of blood? Along with 50k a year? Sound about right?

Does anyone know if they call international students?


That's a good deal.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby Jericwithers » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:01 pm

savesthedayajb wrote:
Oli wrote:
TheWire wrote:I was wondering, does anyone know what the actual tuition costs are going to be?


Your firstborn and a pint of blood? Along with 50k a year? Sound about right?

Does anyone know if they call international students?


That's a good deal.


I'm hoping for a pint of blood scholarship, as I'm afraid of needles.

User avatar
SHARK WEEK!
Posts: 119
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:41 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby SHARK WEEK! » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:33 pm

I know this has been asked before, but I'm sure I'm not the only person who will be caught making this tough decision: UCLA or a lower T-14 like Georgetown/Cornell. How much prestige does Georgetown or Cornell get you in California as compared to UCLA? I was reading a thread earlier today where someone said that Cornell will place you better in San Francisco than UCLA. Really??

User avatar
daesonesb
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:18 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby daesonesb » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:38 pm

SHARK WEEK! wrote:I know this has been asked before, but I'm sure I'm not the only person who will be caught making this tough decision: UCLA or a lower T-14 like Georgetown/Cornell. How much prestige does Georgetown or Cornell get you in California as compared to UCLA? I was reading a thread earlier today where someone said that Cornell will place you better in San Francisco than UCLA. Really??

Psssshhhhhh. You wanna spend the next three years in cold ass ithaca, or you wanna live it up in westwood?
After year one, you get tuition at 35k, so its cheaper too.

Plus, nah, whoever said UCLA places worse in san fran: They are probably involved in a lil bit of conjecture. Ask for hard data! Sounds like some bullllloney.

User avatar
SHARK WEEK!
Posts: 119
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:41 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby SHARK WEEK! » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:44 pm

daesonesb wrote:
SHARK WEEK! wrote:I know this has been asked before, but I'm sure I'm not the only person who will be caught making this tough decision: UCLA or a lower T-14 like Georgetown/Cornell. How much prestige does Georgetown or Cornell get you in California as compared to UCLA? I was reading a thread earlier today where someone said that Cornell will place you better in San Francisco than UCLA. Really??

Psssshhhhhh. You wanna spend the next three years in cold ass ithaca, or you wanna live it up in westwood?
After year one, you get tuition at 35k, so its cheaper too.

Plus, nah, whoever said UCLA places worse in san fran: They are probably involved in a lil bit of conjecture. Ask for hard data! Sounds like some bullllloney.


I see you've applied to Cornell. Say you get in. It's between Cornell and UCLA. Which do you choose. Why?

The rankings argument is also getting to me. I honestly think UCLA is going to overtake (or tie) Georgetown this year. I don't want to go to Georgetown (and I would only go there for the ranking boost - lame I know) and then find out that UCLA is ranked #14 and Georgetown #15.

AHHHHH.

User avatar
JollyGreenGiant
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:47 pm

SHARK WEEK! wrote:
daesonesb wrote:
SHARK WEEK! wrote:I know this has been asked before, but I'm sure I'm not the only person who will be caught making this tough decision: UCLA or a lower T-14 like Georgetown/Cornell. How much prestige does Georgetown or Cornell get you in California as compared to UCLA? I was reading a thread earlier today where someone said that Cornell will place you better in San Francisco than UCLA. Really??

Psssshhhhhh. You wanna spend the next three years in cold ass ithaca, or you wanna live it up in westwood?
After year one, you get tuition at 35k, so its cheaper too.

Plus, nah, whoever said UCLA places worse in san fran: They are probably involved in a lil bit of conjecture. Ask for hard data! Sounds like some bullllloney.


I see you've applied to Cornell. Say you get in. It's between Cornell and UCLA. Which do you choose. Why?

The rankings argument is also getting to me. I honestly think UCLA is going to overtake (or tie) Georgetown this year. I don't want to go to Georgetown (and I would only go there for the ranking boost - lame I know) and then find out that UCLA is ranked #14 and Georgetown #15.

AHHHHH.

If you want Cali, I'd have to say UCLA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Cornell by quite a bit. But I'm just guessing.

User avatar
jay115
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:01 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby jay115 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:56 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
SHARK WEEK! wrote:
daesonesb wrote:
SHARK WEEK! wrote:I know this has been asked before, but I'm sure I'm not the only person who will be caught making this tough decision: UCLA or a lower T-14 like Georgetown/Cornell. How much prestige does Georgetown or Cornell get you in California as compared to UCLA? I was reading a thread earlier today where someone said that Cornell will place you better in San Francisco than UCLA. Really??

Psssshhhhhh. You wanna spend the next three years in cold ass ithaca, or you wanna live it up in westwood?
After year one, you get tuition at 35k, so its cheaper too.

Plus, nah, whoever said UCLA places worse in san fran: They are probably involved in a lil bit of conjecture. Ask for hard data! Sounds like some bullllloney.


I see you've applied to Cornell. Say you get in. It's between Cornell and UCLA. Which do you choose. Why?

The rankings argument is also getting to me. I honestly think UCLA is going to overtake (or tie) Georgetown this year. I don't want to go to Georgetown (and I would only go there for the ranking boost - lame I know) and then find out that UCLA is ranked #14 and Georgetown #15.

AHHHHH.

If you want Cali, I'd have to say UCLA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Cornell by quite a bit. But I'm just guessing.


I'm going to Cornell for their Mock Trial invitational this weekend. The weather report from ithica:

Friday, Jan 29
Low: 6 °F
High: 21 °F

Saturday, Jan 30
Low: 10 °F
High: 23 °F

I'll take a gander over the gorges and try to take a picture of the anti-suicide nets for y'all.

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7119
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby los blancos » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:33 am

JollyGreenGiant wrote:If you want Cali, I'd have to say UCLA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Cornell by quite a bit. But I'm just guessing.


FWIW that would be my guess as well, but I'm an idiot, so I don't know.

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby Veritas » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:38 am

I am DYING for a call, plzzzzzz ucla plzzzz make my life.

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: UCLA?

Postby flyingpanda » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:45 am

TheWire wrote:I was wondering, does anyone know what the actual tuition costs are going to be?


Nobody is sure but the proposed tuition costs look pretty grim.

Image

Image

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby Jericwithers » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:48 am

aznflyingpanda wrote:
TheWire wrote:I was wondering, does anyone know what the actual tuition costs are going to be?


Nobody is sure but the proposed tuition costs look pretty grim.

Image

Image


This is very informative! Thanks for this!

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: UCLA?

Postby flyingpanda » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:53 am

I didn't read the whole report, but I believe that's just one possible proposal. I think any of the UCs are still good deals for in-state, but it's not looking as good for out-of-state people.

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby Jericwithers » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:55 am

aznflyingpanda wrote:I didn't read the whole report, but I believe that's just one possible proposal. I think any of the UCs are still good deals for in-state, but it's not looking as good for out-of-state people.


We are only considered OOS for one year, and according to those numbers UCLA is still very close to my cheapest offer.

User avatar
hannah87
Posts: 865
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:37 am

Re: UCLA?

Postby hannah87 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:59 am

finallyyy got complete email today (applied 1/3). excited to join this thread!

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: UCLA?

Postby flyingpanda » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:04 am

Jericwithers wrote:
aznflyingpanda wrote:I didn't read the whole report, but I believe that's just one possible proposal. I think any of the UCs are still good deals for in-state, but it's not looking as good for out-of-state people.


We are only considered OOS for one year, and according to those numbers UCLA is still very close to my cheapest offer.


Ah that's not so bad then, except for the entering class in 2012, that's going to suck for them.

edit: especially Davis.. wow

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby Jericwithers » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:10 am

aznflyingpanda wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
aznflyingpanda wrote:I didn't read the whole report, but I believe that's just one possible proposal. I think any of the UCs are still good deals for in-state, but it's not looking as good for out-of-state people.


We are only considered OOS for one year, and according to those numbers UCLA is still very close to my cheapest offer.


Ah that's not so bad then, except for the entering class in 2012, that's going to suck for them.

edit: especially Davis.. wow


Ya and Berkley is going to be crazy expensive next year! I would withdraw if I didn't pay for the app fee.

User avatar
JollyGreenGiant
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:29 am

Jericwithers wrote:
aznflyingpanda wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
aznflyingpanda wrote:I didn't read the whole report, but I believe that's just one possible proposal. I think any of the UCs are still good deals for in-state, but it's not looking as good for out-of-state people.


We are only considered OOS for one year, and according to those numbers UCLA is still very close to my cheapest offer.


Ah that's not so bad then, except for the entering class in 2012, that's going to suck for them.

edit: especially Davis.. wow


Ya and Berkley is going to be crazy expensive next year! I would withdraw if I didn't pay for the app fee.


The difference in tuition cost between Berkeley and UCLA should not be a deciding factor. (assuming you're paying sticker)

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: UCLA?

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:14 am

Oli wrote:
TheWire wrote:I was wondering, does anyone know what the actual tuition costs are going to be?


Your firstborn and a pint of blood? Along with 50k a year? Sound about right?

Does anyone know if they call international students?


I've been wondering if international people get calls, myself...

User avatar
SHARK WEEK!
Posts: 119
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:41 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby SHARK WEEK! » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:05 pm

I estimate tuition will be around $36,500 in-state and $46,500 out-of-state. This is based on the incremental increases over the last 10 years. It has been growing, but it's got to begin tapering off soon. In my view - and I would probably be trampled on by current UCLA students - the in-state fee is more than fair, if not lowish by "industry standards". (That's the economist/realist in me talking).

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby Jericwithers » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:19 pm

SHARK WEEK! wrote:I estimate tuition will be around $36,500 in-state and $46,500 out-of-state. This is based on the incremental increases over the last 10 years. It has been growing, but it's got to begin tapering off soon.


College tuition taper off? I disagre. Also UC has huge budget problems and tuition will most likely jump 10-15% rather than an incremental increase. When do they release the real cost though? March?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lillawyer2, tinafeyclone and 4 guests