UCLA?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tintin

Re: UCLA?

Postby tintin » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:28 pm

Veritas wrote:
tintin wrote:robert schwartz just left me a voicemail telling me to call him. does this mean i'm in...or just that there is something amiss with my application?? i can't call back because I'm at work...

omg you need to leave work and call the man back, NOW

hahaha. if i was into going to ucla i would but........don't reeeeeeeeeeally think ill be ending up there...

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:29 pm

tintin wrote:robert schwartz just left me a voicemail telling me to call him. does this mean i'm in...or just that there is something amiss with my application?? i can't call back because I'm at work...

You're in. The admin office would send an e-mail if there was an issue. I just got WL'd with same LSAT, much lower GPA - putting odds your in. Good luck...

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:29 pm

tintin wrote:
Veritas wrote:

hahaha. if i was into going to ucla i would but........don't reeeeeeeeeeally think ill be ending up there...

plan b: step out of work, call him back, withdraw and tell him to give me the spot.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:29 pm

jmhendri wrote:
boilercat wrote:TBH I dunno if they even have a choice not to be after the scandal earlier this year about their UG admissions.

are you able to elaborate?

http://archives.chicagotribune.com/2009 ... t-29-may29

hopefulincal

Postby hopefulincal » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:29 pm

With your acceptances so far I don't see why there would be any surprise that UCLA wants you also.

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:33 pm

boilercat wrote:
jmhendri wrote:
boilercat wrote:TBH I dunno if they even have a choice not to be after the scandal earlier this year about their UG admissions.

Interesting. I wonder if this affects their URM decisions.

initech

Postby initech » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:35 pm

Just received the WL email. FML.

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:37 pm

initech wrote:Just received the WL email. FML.

sucks. sorry.

tintin

Postby tintin » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:38 pm

Veritas wrote:
tintin wrote:
Veritas wrote:

plan b: step out of work, call him back, withdraw and tell him to give me the spot.

yeah, unless they throw $ at me, withdrawal will be the plan

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:43 pm

jmhendri wrote:
boilercat wrote:
jmhendri wrote:

Interesting. I wonder if this affects their URM decisions.

I think it had a minimal effect on their LS (which I don't think was ever involved), but I'm not surprised they've chosen to be transparent in the admissions process.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:11 pm

Regardless, I am very impressed with their system and Dean Pless.

DallasCowboy

Postby DallasCowboy » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:57 pm

Should I LOCI a late October app?

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:24 pm

boilercat wrote:
Hopeful, can you explain why you would take UCLA over Duke, ceteris paribus? I'm looking for excuses to like this school more than I already do. My impression was that, placement-wise, it was significantly behind MVPDNC and even Gtown.

There are a variety of reasons:

1. I am from California, but I attended both college and graduate school in the Midwest. I miss the Pacific Ocean, palm trees, and the sun.

2. In-state tuition = automatic $10,000 scholarship, renewable for three years.

3. I want to work on the West Coast. Here, we can get into specifics, but I'm not going to follow the statistics as if they are sacrosanct. My impression is that UCLA Law has an incredibly strong reputation in California, which is most certainly equal to Duke's, if not better.

4. I'm done with the stuffy elite private school culture. I know that UCLA will probably expose me to the stuffy elite public school culture, but I can handle that. It has a better flavor to it - a bit more ironic, a twinge more cynical, just more enjoyable.

5. UCLA is better than Georgetown! I don't care what the rankings say right now. In 10 years, UCLA will be ranked higher than Georgetown. Mark my words. As far as national reputation goes, true, Georgetown carries more weight right now, but wait and see.

6. There are a handful of specific programs at UCLA that I am interested in.

7. My family is scattered throughout California. I miss them dearly and want to return to the flock.

The list could go on and on, but it's a little silly to elaborate here... Bottom line is: If you know you want to establish your career on the West Coast, go to Stanford, Berkeley, or UCLA Law. Those are really some of your best options (along with Yale and Harvard of course).

Good luck with your decision. You can't go wrong with Duke, well, unless you are interviewing against a bunch of talented UCLA students in Southern California. Honestly, UCLA is going to give you the edge there - certeris paribus.

-HL
Last edited by Hopefullawstudent on Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

calgal17

Postby calgal17 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:26 pm

initech wrote:Just received the WL email. FML.

Man, what a crappy day. :( Sorry.

Diskette15

Postby Diskette15 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:51 pm

Also received the WL email. I'm already in at Michigan and Cornell so I'll be withdrawing tomorrow. 169/3.6ish and submitted my app in September. Good luck to those still waiting and congrats to all those who recently got in!

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:53 pm

Diskette15 wrote:Also received the WL email. I'm already in at Michigan and Cornell so I'll be withdrawing tomorrow. 169/3.6ish and submitted my app in September. Good luck to those still waiting and congrats to all those who recently got in!

I think you just said a mouthful - that you can get into Mich and Cornell but not UCLA. Come on...

Diskette15

Postby Diskette15 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:04 am

ruleser wrote:
Diskette15 wrote:Also received the WL email. I'm already in at Michigan and Cornell so I'll be withdrawing tomorrow. 169/3.6ish and submitted my app in September. Good luck to those still waiting and congrats to all those who recently got in!

I think you just said a mouthful - that you can get into Mich and Cornell but not UCLA. Come on...

Hi ruleser! Not to hijack this thread, but I remember you from the W&L full scholarship vs. reapply thread from this past summer that both of us had to decide on. How's everything going? Back on topic, yeah I'm slightly surprised I got WL (its definitely not a YP), but I know my GPA is a bit low for a CA school....

Slansky

Postby Slansky » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:28 am

Hopefullawstudent wrote:
boilercat wrote:
Hopeful, can you explain why you would take UCLA over Duke, ceteris paribus? I'm looking for excuses to like this school more than I already do. My impression was that, placement-wise, it was significantly behind MVPDNC and even Gtown.

There are a variety of reasons:

1. I am from California, but I attended both college and graduate school in the Midwest. I miss the Pacific Ocean, palm trees, and the sun.

2. In-state tuition = automatic $10,000 scholarship, renewable for three years.

3. I want to work on the West Coast. Here, we can get into specifics, but I'm not going to follow the statistics as if they are sacrosanct. My impression is that UCLA Law has an incredibly strong reputation in California, which is most certainly equal to Duke's, if not better.

4. I'm done with the stuffy elite private school culture. I know that UCLA will probably expose me to the stuffy elite public school culture, but I can handle that. It has a better flavor to it - a bit more ironic, a twinge more cynical, just more enjoyable.

5. UCLA is better than Georgetown! I don't care what the rankings say right now. In 10 years, UCLA will be ranked higher than Georgetown. Mark my words. As far as national reputation goes, true, Georgetown carries more weight right now, but wait and see.

6. There are a handful of specific programs at UCLA that I am interested in.

7. My family is scattered throughout California. I miss them dearly and want to return to the flock.

The list could go on and on, but it's a little silly to elaborate here... Bottom line is: If you know you want to establish your career on the West Coast, go to Stanford, Berkeley, or UCLA Law. Those are really some of your best options (along with Yale and Harvard of course).

Good luck with your decision. You can't go wrong with Duke, well, unless you are interviewing against a bunch of talented UCLA students in Southern California. Honestly, UCLA is going to give you the edge there - certeris paribus.

-HL

Woohoo, we are the same on all counts. I am focusing on UCLA and nearby schools because of issues other than rankings. Maybe I will see you at UCLA... :)

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:18 am

Hopefullawstudent wrote:4. I'm done with the stuffy elite private school culture. I know that UCLA will probably expose me to the stuffy elite public school culture, but I can handle that. It has a better flavor to it - a bit more ironic, a twinge more cynical, just more enjoyable.

Haha I also went to an elite private UG, and while I enjoyed it, I think I might enjoy the public school atmosphere too. Plus, going to football games at the Rose Bowl would be awesome.

I ABSOLUTELY agree with this. I didn't even apply to GULC, and FWIW there's no doubt in my mind that if it was UCLA vs Cornell, I'd take UCLA 10 times out of 10.

See, this is what I'm trying to figure out. To me, it's pretty clear that the last part is true - if we're talking Big Law in LA, UCLA probably has the edge, though according to LSN 80 West Coast firms interviewed at Duke in 2008. I would absolutely love to end up in California, that's what I've dreamed of doing for the last 4 years of my life. If it comes down to UCLA v Duke (and I haven't gotten into UCLA yet, so this is all hypothetical), I'll have to weigh my desire to end up in CA vs my conviction that, overall, Duke represents a much better shot at big law. But while I wouldn't mind Atlanta or Florida or NC, I absolutely do not want to end up in DC or NYC, which are apparently the two biggest markets Duke places into.

I suppose getting into Michigan (which many think places as well as UCLA in LA) or Chicago/Columbia would solve this problem (as would getting into Boalt, my top choice). I feel like I've got at least a decent shot at getting one of those schools.

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:30 am

boilercat wrote:
See, this is what I'm trying to figure out. To me, it's pretty clear that the last part is true - if we're talking Big Law in LA, UCLA probably has the edge, though according to LSN 80 West Coast firms interviewed at Duke in 2008. I would absolutely love to end up in California, that's what I've dreamed of doing for the last 4 years of my life. If it comes down to UCLA v Duke (and I haven't gotten into UCLA yet, so this is all hypothetical), I'll have to weigh my desire to end up in CA vs my conviction that, overall, Duke represents a much better shot at big law. But while I wouldn't mind Atlanta or Florida or NC, I absolutely do not want to end up in DC or NYC, which are apparently the two biggest markets Duke places into.

I suppose getting into Michigan (which many think places as well as UCLA in LA) or Chicago/Columbia would solve this problem (as would getting into Boalt, my top choice). I feel like I've got at least a decent shot at getting one of those schools.

At this point in my life the essential question has become: Is this going to be a school I want to attend for the next three years of my life, and, does it typically place well in a region that I can see myself establishing a happy life in? If this question can be answered in the affirmative, then the next step is to realize that once I have enrolled, it becomes my own responsibility to succeed, to interview well, and to hopefully land a great job.

(The implicit advice here is that you should go to the school you think you will do best at, and, if you're anything like me, you'll also want to make sure that you'll be happy with attending that school for the next 3 years of your life.)

-HL

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:45 am

Hopefullawstudent wrote:
boilercat wrote:

At this point in my life the essential question has become: Is this going to be a school I want to attend for the next three years of my life, and, does it typically place well in a region that I can see myself establishing a happy life in? If this question can be answered in the affirmative, then the next step is to realize that once I have enrolled, it becomes my own responsibility to succeed, to interview well, and to hopefully land a great job.

(The implicit advice here is that you should go to the school you think you will do best at, and, if you're anything like me, you'll also want to make sure that you'll be happy with attending that school for the next 3 years of your life.)

-HL

I think that's some great advice. The issue is that you really have to balance career prospects and lifestyle sometimes - if you manage to get both in one package, you're flying high (and this is why I want Berk so badly, it's just the perfect school for what I want). Part of me is just afraid of giving in to my desires for the next three years and ending up sacrificing career prospects over the long run. I guess for now I'll just ride the cycle and see what options I'll have. I would hope that I'd be able to get some $$ out of UCLA if I got in, which would make the choice easier. That said, LSP gives me better chances at Michigan than Duke. I don't know how much to read into that.

BTW given what you said earlier and looking at your avatar, I think my UG might be your rival. :mrgreen:

parker09

Postby parker09 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:17 am

boilercat wrote:That said, LSP gives me better chances at Michigan than Duke. I don't know how much to read into that.

Michigan app process is supposed to be more "holistic" (so you can get in with lower stats if you've got other stuff going for you); Duke is supposedly more numbers-based. There are tinnny little differences in numbers in which Michigan goes a little lower...

Duke (Class of 2012, so latest entering class):
GPA 75/25: 3.84/3.60
Median GPA: 3.76
LSAT 75/25: 171/167
Median LSAT: 169

Michigan (Class of 2012, so latest entering class):
GPA 75/25: 3.84/3.55
Median GPA: 3.7
LSAT 75/25: 170/167
Median LSAT: 169

Might explain the LSP outcomes, since it relies entirely on #s.

RhubarbPie

Postby RhubarbPie » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:18 pm

I declined UCLA's waitlist offer this morning. Good luck to everyone who is on it or waiting to hear something!

DallasCowboy

Postby DallasCowboy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:08 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:Should I LOCI a late October app?

Anybody?

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:25 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:
DallasCowboy wrote:Should I LOCI a late October app?

Anybody?

I'd say wait a while longer. I got the call just yesterday and I was a late October applicant.

Good luck!

-HL

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”