UCLA?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Hopefullawstudent
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:35 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:13 pm

calgal17 wrote:Congrats HL! Do you mind sharing the stats? Your "borderline" story is giving me hope! :D


Ya. I PM'd you!

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7119
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby los blancos » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:44 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:
calgal17 wrote:Congrats HL! Do you mind sharing the stats? Your "borderline" story is giving me hope! :D


Ya. I PM'd you!


Hopeful, can you explain why you would take UCLA over Duke, ceteris paribus? I'm looking for excuses to like this school more than I already do. My impression was that, placement-wise, it was significantly behind MVPDNC and even Gtown.

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby Veritas » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:49 pm

boilercat wrote:
Hopefullawstudent wrote:
calgal17 wrote:Congrats HL! Do you mind sharing the stats? Your "borderline" story is giving me hope! :D


Ya. I PM'd you!


Hopeful, can you explain why you would take UCLA over Duke, ceteris paribus? I'm looking for excuses to like this school more than I already do. My impression was that, placement-wise, it was significantly behind MVPDNC and even Gtown.

If you want So Cal, I would think UCLA > Duke. Plus, LA > Durham.

Antigone
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:40 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby Antigone » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:54 pm

calgal17 wrote:Congrats HL! Do you mind sharing the stats? Your "borderline" story is giving me hope! :D



Me too! I am definitely borderline, do you mind sharing your numbers?

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7119
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby los blancos » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:54 pm

Veritas wrote:
boilercat wrote:
Hopefullawstudent wrote:
calgal17 wrote:Congrats HL! Do you mind sharing the stats? Your "borderline" story is giving me hope! :D


Ya. I PM'd you!


Hopeful, can you explain why you would take UCLA over Duke, ceteris paribus? I'm looking for excuses to like this school more than I already do. My impression was that, placement-wise, it was significantly behind MVPDNC and even Gtown.

If you want So Cal, I would think UCLA > Duke. Plus, LA > Durham.


I mean, here's the thing (and I want to spend the rest of my life in SoCal so I definitely agree that Westwood is awesome). I want SoCal big law (well, ideally, a clerkship and then big law). But I'd prefer big law out of SoCal to a small firm job in SoCal. Perhaps someone can shed some light on this, but both UCLA and USC's NLJ250 placement on that c/o 2005 chart is lackluster. Is there something I'm missing? I have to assume I'm going to end up at median wherever I go, and median @ UCLA, especially ITE, doesn't seem like a great proposition.

User avatar
gatorlion
Posts: 364
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:23 am

Re: UCLA?

Postby gatorlion » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:05 pm

Boilercat, here is a helpful website:

NLJ 2008
http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/20080414employment_trends.pdf

UCLA>USC

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7119
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby los blancos » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:13 pm

gatorlion wrote:Boilercat, here is a helpful website:

NLJ 2008
http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/20080414employment_trends.pdf

UCLA>USC


That's the chart I was referring to before. I have a Duke acceptance but I would love to end up at UCLA because I want to practice in SoCal. I just don't know if that would be an intelligent decision. Does anyone know if the NLJ 250 has a bias against West Coast big law? I can't wrap my head around Vandy, BC, BU, and ND outplacing UCLA. Duke's placement according to that pre-ITE chart is more than double, meaning you could have been in the bottom 30% of the class and still had a good shot at a big law offer. It's clerkship placement was also almost double.

wired
Posts: 472
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:29 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby wired » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:48 pm

Just got Waitlisted by UCLA via email.

169/3.44. Applied in early October.

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby Veritas » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:50 pm

wired wrote:Just got Waitlisted by UCLA via email.

169/3.44. Applied in early October.

srsly? UCLA and Boalt are crushing dreams today.....


::runs off to check email::

User avatar
jmhendri
Posts: 589
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:33 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby jmhendri » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:51 pm

I'm getting so confused by the fact that I haven't received a decision (i.e. rejection) yet that I've been sending myself test emails all day.

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby Veritas » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:53 pm

jmhendri wrote:I'm getting so confused by the fact that I haven't received a decision (i.e. rejection) yet that I've been sending myself test emails all day.

:lol:

I have had some PM conversations today, and each time I get a message I get an email! I need to turn that feature off!

RhubarbPie
Posts: 207
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:33 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby RhubarbPie » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:53 pm

Just got a waitlist email. Not really upset as I was accepted at Michigan today. I applied because of the fee waiver.

User avatar
ruleser
Posts: 870
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:41 am

Re: UCLA?

Postby ruleser » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:00 pm

boilercat wrote:
gatorlion wrote:Boilercat, here is a helpful website:

NLJ 2008
http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/20080414employment_trends.pdf

UCLA>USC


That's the chart I was referring to before. I have a Duke acceptance but I would love to end up at UCLA because I want to practice in SoCal. I just don't know if that would be an intelligent decision. Does anyone know if the NLJ 250 has a bias against West Coast big law? I can't wrap my head around Vandy, BC, BU, and ND outplacing UCLA. Duke's placement according to that pre-ITE chart is more than double, meaning you could have been in the bottom 30% of the class and still had a good shot at a big law offer. It's clerkship placement was also almost double.

I would throw in the proposition (nothing to back it up except my experience as someone living in Los Angeles (and originally from the east coast)) that UCLA and especially USC are attended by people who want to work/stay in Cali - and those who didn't originally often come to. So the placement stats may be skewed by choice... the sunshine/easy living is hard to give up to head back to snow/etc

BTW, seems like a lot of decisions today - with the Feb 1 ap deadline (which applies to UCLA/Cornell/USC, the big three for peeps with numbers like me) I'm hoping that is what they were waiting for with splitters/borderlines and now (in a few days) will know the entire ap pool and be able to make the decisions. Probably dreaming...

User avatar
SanBun
Posts: 560
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 10:19 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby SanBun » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:02 pm

hey everyone,
so after a bitter rejection today i need something to hold on to. not sure if UCLA is that something, which is why I'm wondering what you all think

complete for 12 weeks, nothing yet. A huge amount of ppl with my numbers have been waitlisted and rejected. Did my ding letter just get lost or am I still in the game? What are my odds of still being rejected (i.e. how long does UCLA usually string it's ding apps along)?

insight from anyone in similar situation or other wisdom welcome

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby Veritas » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:03 pm

SanBun wrote:hey everyone,
so after a bitter rejection today i need something to hold on to. not sure if UCLA is that something, which is why I'm wondering what you all think

complete for 12 weeks, nothing yet. A huge amount of ppl with my numbers have been waitlisted and rejected. Did my ding letter just get lost or am I still in the game? What are my odds of still being rejected (i.e. how long does UCLA usually string it's ding apps along)?

insight from anyone in similar situation or other wisdom welcome

similar situation here, but I have no idea what's going on....

User avatar
jmhendri
Posts: 589
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:33 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby jmhendri » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:11 pm

Veritas wrote:
SanBun wrote:hey everyone,
so after a bitter rejection today i need something to hold on to. not sure if UCLA is that something, which is why I'm wondering what you all think

complete for 12 weeks, nothing yet. A huge amount of ppl with my numbers have been waitlisted and rejected. Did my ding letter just get lost or am I still in the game? What are my odds of still being rejected (i.e. how long does UCLA usually string it's ding apps along)?

insight from anyone in similar situation or other wisdom welcome

similar situation here, but I have no idea what's going on....


I'm thinking it would be best for our egos if we don't read into this too far. There are enough of us in this boat that it probably has no significance.

They're probably reviewing apps in completely random order.

southxii
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:11 am

Re: UCLA?

Postby southxii » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:12 pm

SanBun, i got the same rejection as you today. Also, i got the same waitlist as you today. Weird.

Anyways, i haven't heard anything from UCLA since i went complete around the 27th of October. Who knows what's going on over there.

User avatar
SanBun
Posts: 560
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 10:19 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby SanBun » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:13 pm

southxii wrote:SanBun, i got the same rejection as you today. Also, i got the same waitlist as you today. Weird.

Anyways, i haven't heard anything from UCLA since i went complete around the 27th of October. Who knows what's going on over there.


I almost wanna call and be like: Hey lets cut the bullshittt, just tell me whats going on. i hate the whole secrecy. I hate secrecy...

User avatar
jmhendri
Posts: 589
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:33 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby jmhendri » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:17 pm

SanBun wrote:
southxii wrote:SanBun, i got the same rejection as you today. Also, i got the same waitlist as you today. Weird.

Anyways, i haven't heard anything from UCLA since i went complete around the 27th of October. Who knows what's going on over there.


I almost wanna call and be like: Hey lets cut the bullshittt, just tell me whats going on. i hate the whole secrecy. I hate secrecy...


If you hate secrecy shoot an app over to Illinois UIUC. The whole process is completely transparent and the dean is a TLS regular.

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7119
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby los blancos » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:25 pm

jmhendri wrote:
SanBun wrote:
southxii wrote:SanBun, i got the same rejection as you today. Also, i got the same waitlist as you today. Weird.

Anyways, i haven't heard anything from UCLA since i went complete around the 27th of October. Who knows what's going on over there.


I almost wanna call and be like: Hey lets cut the bullshittt, just tell me whats going on. i hate the whole secrecy. I hate secrecy...


If you hate secrecy shoot an app over to Illinois UIUC. The whole process is completely transparent and the dean is a TLS regular.


TBH I dunno if they even have a choice not to be after the scandal earlier this year about their UG admissions.

User avatar
ruleser
Posts: 870
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:41 am

Re: UCLA?

Postby ruleser » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:25 pm

Just got the WL e-mail. Splitter/LA resident, numbers that could have been dinged due to low GPA, so happy enough. Hoping the increase in tuition scares enough people off to grab a spot...

User avatar
tintin
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:26 am

Re: UCLA?

Postby tintin » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:26 pm

robert schwartz just left me a voicemail telling me to call him. does this mean i'm in...or just that there is something amiss with my application?? i can't call back because I'm at work...

User avatar
jmhendri
Posts: 589
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:33 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby jmhendri » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:27 pm

boilercat wrote:
jmhendri wrote:
SanBun wrote:
southxii wrote:SanBun, i got the same rejection as you today. Also, i got the same waitlist as you today. Weird.

Anyways, i haven't heard anything from UCLA since i went complete around the 27th of October. Who knows what's going on over there.


I almost wanna call and be like: Hey lets cut the bullshittt, just tell me whats going on. i hate the whole secrecy. I hate secrecy...


If you hate secrecy shoot an app over to Illinois UIUC. The whole process is completely transparent and the dean is a TLS regular.


TBH I dunno if they even have a choice not to be after the scandal earlier this year about their UG admissions.


are you able to elaborate?

User avatar
Veritas
Posts: 2722
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby Veritas » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:27 pm

tintin wrote:robert schwartz just left me a voicemail telling me to call him. does this mean i'm in...or just that there is something amiss with my application?? i can't call back because I'm at work...

omg you need to leave work and call the man back, NOW

User avatar
SanBun
Posts: 560
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 10:19 pm

Re: UCLA?

Postby SanBun » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:27 pm

Veritas wrote:
tintin wrote:robert schwartz just left me a voicemail telling me to call him. does this mean i'm in...or just that there is something amiss with my application?? i can't call back because I'm at work...

omg you need to leave work and call the man back, NOW


big fat +1




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], carlos_danger, hopeful applicant, lawschoolbound2017, mlp12, tww1999, VapidP and 28 guests