UCLA?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Hopefullawstudent

Re: UCLA?

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:13 pm

calgal17 wrote:Congrats HL! Do you mind sharing the stats? Your "borderline" story is giving me hope! :D

Ya. I PM'd you!

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:44 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:
calgal17 wrote:Congrats HL! Do you mind sharing the stats? Your "borderline" story is giving me hope! :D

Ya. I PM'd you!

Hopeful, can you explain why you would take UCLA over Duke, ceteris paribus? I'm looking for excuses to like this school more than I already do. My impression was that, placement-wise, it was significantly behind MVPDNC and even Gtown.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:49 pm

boilercat wrote:
Hopefullawstudent wrote:

Ya. I PM'd you!

Hopeful, can you explain why you would take UCLA over Duke, ceteris paribus? I'm looking for excuses to like this school more than I already do. My impression was that, placement-wise, it was significantly behind MVPDNC and even Gtown.

If you want So Cal, I would think UCLA > Duke. Plus, LA > Durham.

Antigone

Postby Antigone » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:54 pm

Me too! I am definitely borderline, do you mind sharing your numbers?

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:54 pm

Veritas wrote:
boilercat wrote:
Hopefullawstudent wrote:

Ya. I PM'd you!

If you want So Cal, I would think UCLA > Duke. Plus, LA > Durham.

I mean, here's the thing (and I want to spend the rest of my life in SoCal so I definitely agree that Westwood is awesome). I want SoCal big law (well, ideally, a clerkship and then big law). But I'd prefer big law out of SoCal to a small firm job in SoCal. Perhaps someone can shed some light on this, but both UCLA and USC's NLJ250 placement on that c/o 2005 chart is lackluster. Is there something I'm missing? I have to assume I'm going to end up at median wherever I go, and median @ UCLA, especially ITE, doesn't seem like a great proposition.

gatorlion

Postby gatorlion » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:05 pm

Boilercat, here is a helpful website:

NLJ 2008
http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/20080414employment_trends.pdf

UCLA>USC

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:13 pm

gatorlion wrote:Boilercat, here is a helpful website:

NLJ 2008

UCLA>USC

That's the chart I was referring to before. I have a Duke acceptance but I would love to end up at UCLA because I want to practice in SoCal. I just don't know if that would be an intelligent decision. Does anyone know if the NLJ 250 has a bias against West Coast big law? I can't wrap my head around Vandy, BC, BU, and ND outplacing UCLA. Duke's placement according to that pre-ITE chart is more than double, meaning you could have been in the bottom 30% of the class and still had a good shot at a big law offer. It's clerkship placement was also almost double.

wired

Postby wired » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:48 pm

Just got Waitlisted by UCLA via email.

169/3.44. Applied in early October.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:50 pm

wired wrote:Just got Waitlisted by UCLA via email.

169/3.44. Applied in early October.

srsly? UCLA and Boalt are crushing dreams today.....

::runs off to check email::

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:51 pm

I'm getting so confused by the fact that I haven't received a decision (i.e. rejection) yet that I've been sending myself test emails all day.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:53 pm

jmhendri wrote:I'm getting so confused by the fact that I haven't received a decision (i.e. rejection) yet that I've been sending myself test emails all day.

:lol:

I have had some PM conversations today, and each time I get a message I get an email! I need to turn that feature off!

RhubarbPie

Postby RhubarbPie » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:53 pm

Just got a waitlist email. Not really upset as I was accepted at Michigan today. I applied because of the fee waiver.

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:00 pm

boilercat wrote:
gatorlion wrote:Boilercat, here is a helpful website:

NLJ 2008

UCLA>USC

That's the chart I was referring to before. I have a Duke acceptance but I would love to end up at UCLA because I want to practice in SoCal. I just don't know if that would be an intelligent decision. Does anyone know if the NLJ 250 has a bias against West Coast big law? I can't wrap my head around Vandy, BC, BU, and ND outplacing UCLA. Duke's placement according to that pre-ITE chart is more than double, meaning you could have been in the bottom 30% of the class and still had a good shot at a big law offer. It's clerkship placement was also almost double.

I would throw in the proposition (nothing to back it up except my experience as someone living in Los Angeles (and originally from the east coast)) that UCLA and especially USC are attended by people who want to work/stay in Cali - and those who didn't originally often come to. So the placement stats may be skewed by choice... the sunshine/easy living is hard to give up to head back to snow/etc

BTW, seems like a lot of decisions today - with the Feb 1 ap deadline (which applies to UCLA/Cornell/USC, the big three for peeps with numbers like me) I'm hoping that is what they were waiting for with splitters/borderlines and now (in a few days) will know the entire ap pool and be able to make the decisions. Probably dreaming...

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:02 pm

hey everyone,
so after a bitter rejection today i need something to hold on to. not sure if UCLA is that something, which is why I'm wondering what you all think

complete for 12 weeks, nothing yet. A huge amount of ppl with my numbers have been waitlisted and rejected. Did my ding letter just get lost or am I still in the game? What are my odds of still being rejected (i.e. how long does UCLA usually string it's ding apps along)?

insight from anyone in similar situation or other wisdom welcome

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:03 pm

SanBun wrote:hey everyone,
so after a bitter rejection today i need something to hold on to. not sure if UCLA is that something, which is why I'm wondering what you all think

complete for 12 weeks, nothing yet. A huge amount of ppl with my numbers have been waitlisted and rejected. Did my ding letter just get lost or am I still in the game? What are my odds of still being rejected (i.e. how long does UCLA usually string it's ding apps along)?

similar situation here, but I have no idea what's going on....

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:11 pm

Veritas wrote:
SanBun wrote:hey everyone,

similar situation here, but I have no idea what's going on....

I'm thinking it would be best for our egos if we don't read into this too far. There are enough of us in this boat that it probably has no significance.

They're probably reviewing apps in completely random order.

southxii

Postby southxii » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:12 pm

SanBun, i got the same rejection as you today. Also, i got the same waitlist as you today. Weird.

Anyways, i haven't heard anything from UCLA since i went complete around the 27th of October. Who knows what's going on over there.

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:13 pm

southxii wrote:SanBun, i got the same rejection as you today. Also, i got the same waitlist as you today. Weird.

Anyways, i haven't heard anything from UCLA since i went complete around the 27th of October. Who knows what's going on over there.

I almost wanna call and be like: Hey lets cut the bullshittt, just tell me whats going on. i hate the whole secrecy. I hate secrecy...

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:17 pm

SanBun wrote:
southxii wrote:SanBun, i got the same rejection as you today. Also, i got the same waitlist as you today. Weird.

I almost wanna call and be like: Hey lets cut the bullshittt, just tell me whats going on. i hate the whole secrecy. I hate secrecy...

If you hate secrecy shoot an app over to Illinois UIUC. The whole process is completely transparent and the dean is a TLS regular.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:25 pm

jmhendri wrote:
SanBun wrote:

If you hate secrecy shoot an app over to Illinois UIUC. The whole process is completely transparent and the dean is a TLS regular.

TBH I dunno if they even have a choice not to be after the scandal earlier this year about their UG admissions.

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:25 pm

Just got the WL e-mail. Splitter/LA resident, numbers that could have been dinged due to low GPA, so happy enough. Hoping the increase in tuition scares enough people off to grab a spot...

tintin

Postby tintin » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:26 pm

robert schwartz just left me a voicemail telling me to call him. does this mean i'm in...or just that there is something amiss with my application?? i can't call back because I'm at work...

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:27 pm

boilercat wrote:
jmhendri wrote:
SanBun wrote:

TBH I dunno if they even have a choice not to be after the scandal earlier this year about their UG admissions.

are you able to elaborate?

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:27 pm

tintin wrote:robert schwartz just left me a voicemail telling me to call him. does this mean i'm in...or just that there is something amiss with my application?? i can't call back because I'm at work...

omg you need to leave work and call the man back, NOW

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:27 pm

Veritas wrote:
tintin wrote:robert schwartz just left me a voicemail telling me to call him. does this mean i'm in...or just that there is something amiss with my application?? i can't call back because I'm at work...

omg you need to leave work and call the man back, NOW

big fat +1

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”