UCLA? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Jericwithers

Gold

Re: UCLA?

Post by Jericwithers » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:32 pm

bluejayk wrote:Got a call this afternoon for an offer of admission, quite a pleasant surprise, I can't wait to get the admission packet in the mail.
Congrats!!

vanstone22

Bronze

Post by vanstone22 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:37 pm

*fingers crossed still....someone please fall in love with my writing

hhg

Bronze

Post by hhg » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:04 am

gymboree wrote:
Veritas wrote:
Hopefullawstudent wrote:
Veritas wrote:anyone else really confused by UCLA?
Confused? No. Frustrated? Very.
I don't know if I'm frustrated, because I would KILL for an acceptance. I'm just confused about being passed over when decisions are coming out (acceptances/dings/WLs).....makes me more confused.
Veritas - you and I seem to be in the same pile at a lot of schools!
wallowing in that pile with you guys...

ornbarn

New

Post by ornbarn » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:40 am

Went complete tonight. Application submitted 1/04/10.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:58 am

bluejayk wrote:Got a call this afternoon for an offer of admission, quite a pleasant surprise, I can't wait to get the admission packet in the mail.

Hmm, you give me hope, as your GPA is lower than mine...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bluejayk

Bronze

Post by bluejayk » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:09 am

boilercat wrote:Hmm, you give me hope, as your GPA is lower than mine...
Glad to be of service.

ShibaDan

Bronze

Post by ShibaDan » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:02 am

Jericwithers wrote:
Congrats!!
Congrats! Come on complete e-mail!

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:37 am

bluejayk wrote:
boilercat wrote:Hmm, you give me hope, as your GPA is lower than mine...
Glad to be of service.
haha thanks

did you do anything specific for UCLA? any reason you think could've set you apart?

my lsat is also above 75th and i'm getting increasingly worried about getting WLed or dinged because my GPA isn't up to par relatively

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:42 am

Complete today.
Sent ~1/5
168 (Dec retake) 3.87

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bluejayk

Bronze

Post by bluejayk » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:46 am

No, I didn't do anything special, although filling out their incredibly annoying application should count for some dedication. I even had to truncate my normal personal statement to meet their prissy 12-point 2-page requirement. I'm an older applicant, don't know if that makes me stand out or not, really.

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:21 am

Veritas wrote:
Hopefullawstudent wrote:
I don't know if I'm frustrated, because I would KILL for an acceptance. I'm just confused about being passed over when decisions are coming out (acceptances/dings/WLs).....makes me more confused.
UCLA doesn't have a pure rolling-admissions system, meaning just because you sent in your application in October doesn't mean you'll necessarily hear back earlier (reject,accept,w/l) before someone who submits in march unless you're an ED applicant.

I think so many people apply to UCLA that they can afford to ditch the rolling admissions procedure. That said, I think if UCLA changed the balance of their GPA/LSAT component (more weight on the LSAT) and opened up their early decision program like UVA, then they could definitely boost their LSAT medians past 170.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:30 am

jay115 wrote:
Veritas wrote:
Hopefullawstudent wrote:
UCLA doesn't have a pure rolling-admissions system, meaning just because you sent in your application in October doesn't mean you'll necessarily hear back earlier (reject,accept,w/l) before someone who submits in march unless you're an ED applicant.

I think so many people apply to UCLA that they can afford to ditch the rolling admissions procedure. That said, I think if UCLA changed the balance of their GPA/LSAT component (more weight on the LSAT) and opened up their early decision program like UVA, then they could definitely boost their LSAT medians past 170.
honestly i don't know how UCLA hasn't broken past GULC in the rankings.

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:39 am

boilercat wrote: honestly i don't know how UCLA hasn't broken past GULC in the rankings.
+a lot. I would have taken them over GULC in a heartbeat.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:13 am

managamy wrote:
boilercat wrote: honestly i don't know how UCLA hasn't broken past GULC in the rankings.
+a lot. I would have taken them over GULC in a heartbeat.
Definitely not an expert on rankings, but my ignorant take on it is that they seem to have an east coast bias. Every school around DC is T1 - GULC/GW/American/GMU/WandL/WandM, even Marlyand if you count T50 as T1. Could just be more legal ops back east b/c New York/DC, or that since all those schools have existed much longer they have much deeper ingrained rep scores.

Havaianas

Bronze

Post by Havaianas » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:18 pm

You should definitely include UVA in that group of top schools near DC. GULC does seem to have an amazingly sturdy reputation for sure. Although I would've picked UCLA over GULC as well.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:23 pm

Havaianas wrote:You should definitely include UVA in that group of top schools near DC. GULC does seem to have an amazingly sturdy reputation for sure. Although I would've picked UCLA over GULC as well.
FWIW I would prolly pick UCLA over Cornell if both were at sticker, and maybe even Northwestern and Virginia if there's scholly money.

(i'm biased, however, because I'm concerned with West coast placement)

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:29 pm

UCLA has only been around for a little over 50 years whereas some T14 schools have been around for 200 year - 150 more years is a long time to establish firm connections, clerkships, reputation, etc. Of course time isn't everything as Albany law is quite old and sucks balls.

However, I do think UCLA (like other West/Southern schools) are growing past their competitors - IMO, I think Stanford will surpass Yale (I think Leiter also said this but don't take my word for it) within the next couple decades, and UVA/Texas/UCLA/Vandy/Emory and other like schools will continue to strengthen past their peer institutions as the economy and population shifts from the Northeast to the South and West.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:56 pm

Waitlisted yesterday. Numbers in LSN profile.

ShibaDan

Bronze

Post by ShibaDan » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:37 am

gymboree wrote:
Veritas wrote:
Hopefullawstudent wrote:
Veritas - you and I seem to be in the same pile at a lot of schools!
+1 I'd like it if they just let me know they know I'm alive.

SanBun

Silver

Post by SanBun » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:50 pm

Veritas wrote:
+1 I'd like it if they just let me know they know I'm alive.
Veritas I'm kinda in the same boat as you. I'm definitely a borderline applicant, submitted app 10/29 and complete less than a week later. I haven't heard anything, no ding/WL so far, even though the second big round of the shitstorm seems to have passed. According to LSN, people as far out as Massachusetts have received ding/WL letters by 1/22 the latest, so I think I should have received my letter in the bigger Chicago area sooner or at least by this Saturday. Still nothing. Hope it means we're safe for now and they're seriously considering us (as opposed to our letters having been lost in the mail, which I honestly still think is unlikely and doesn't happen as often as some OCD people here would like us to think)

I am seriously shocked. People with my # have been rejected for the most part, with some lucky few being waitlisted. UCLA, if you take me, I swear, I will love you forever and tell of your greatness in looking past the numbers. Amen.

SanBun

Silver

Post by SanBun » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:57 pm

so apparently my posts are so boring and irrelevant that nobody wants to respond for days. It's cool, whatevs

on antoher note, still no ding or WL from UCLA and just got my acceptance package from USC. Still hoping on a UCLA miracle :?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:00 pm

SanBun wrote:so apparently my posts are so boring and irrelevant that nobody wants to respond for days. It's cool, whatevs

on antoher note, still no ding or WL from UCLA and just got my acceptance package from USC. Still hoping on a UCLA miracle :?
woooot USC! I want in!

UCLA, call me?

SanBun

Silver

Post by SanBun » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:03 pm

Veritas wrote:
SanBun wrote:so apparently my posts are so boring and irrelevant that nobody wants to respond for days. It's cool, whatevs

woooot USC! I want in!

UCLA, call me?
veri I hope you get either of those you seem like such a west coast/LA lover

edit: and can we please celebrate the fact that the rejection storm is over for now and we still haven't received bad news? PARTAAAAY

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:06 pm

SanBun wrote:
Veritas wrote:

woooot USC! I want in!

UCLA, call me?
veri I hope you get either of those you seem like such a west coast/LA lover

edit: and can we please celebrate the fact that the rejection storm is over for now and we still haven't received bad news? PARTAAAAY
Srsly, the bolded part is what keeps me going. But I sure as hell wouldn't mind some love, either....

...UCLA is such a distant lover.

I need to make CA work, I'm not going back to the cold (unless MICH<3 comes a knocking)

hopefulincal

Bronze

Post by hopefulincal » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:00 pm

Please don't take this the wrong way (I'm no managamy), but I'm just really puzzled at the complete silence from UCLA. Are there others out there with multiple T14 admits who were complete mid November (or earlier) and still haven't heard anything?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”