UCLA? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Veritas

Gold

Re: UCLA?

Post by Veritas » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:50 pm

eas331 wrote:In via 26-second phone call from Dean Schwartz around 1 pm EST. :D

Out-of state, complete as of 11/17. No mention of $$, but that's not a surprise given my LSAT and the fact that I didn't write any optional essays. He said he'd mail a packet next week.

Good luck to everyone waiting!
Congrats!!!

opus127

Bronze

Post by opus127 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:58 pm

Veritas wrote: Congrats!!!
Thanks! And good luck to you!

SanBun

Silver

Post by SanBun » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:20 pm

I WANT A PHONE CALL!!!

either that or rejection asap, just so I don't get my hopes up

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:26 pm

SanBun wrote:I WANT A PHONE CALL!!!

either that or rejection asap, just so I don't get my hopes up
haha, I would like a phone call, not a rejection. kaithxbai

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:47 am

Got this email last night:
Thank you for applying to UCLA School of Law. We are writing to let you know that your file is complete.

During the next few months we will review thousands of applications. It is difficult for us to predict when you will receive a final decision. We will make decisions through April.

We greatly appreciate your patience during the review process. We know this is a stressful period and we want to assure you that your application will be thoroughly reviewed by our admissions committee.
APRIL?! AHHHHHHH!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kcg171

New

Post by kcg171 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:07 am

what are the odds of a rejection getting lost in the mail? Complete 10/16 :?

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:00 am

Anyone have any insight as to why UCLA seems so unpredictable? Are they trying to replace GTTTown in the T14?

buzzgirl

New

Post by buzzgirl » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:11 am

Beatrice wrote:Got this email last night:
Thank you for applying to UCLA School of Law. We are writing to let you know that your file is complete.

During the next few months we will review thousands of applications. It is difficult for us to predict when you will receive a final decision. We will make decisions through April.

We greatly appreciate your patience during the review process. We know this is a stressful period and we want to assure you that your application will be thoroughly reviewed by our admissions committee.
APRIL?! AHHHHHHH!
I got the same e-mail earlier in the week and got the admit w/ $ call on Friday, so you could definitely hear sooner!

Good luck!

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:14 am

buzzgirl wrote:

APRIL?! AHHHHHHH!
I got the same e-mail earlier in the week and got the admit w/ $ call on Friday, so you could definitely hear sooner!

Good luck!

congrats! care to share your numbers? :mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:15 am

boilercat wrote:Anyone have any insight as to why UCLA seems so unpredictable? Are they trying to replace GTTTown in the T14?
Looking through the last few pages of this thread, I can give some insight...

I see some dings/WLs with low GPAs, and some acceptances with extremely high GPAs. This is consistent with what I know about UCLA; they weigh GPA more strongly than many T14s and seem to have some GPA cutoff that's at least above 3.0 but may be even higher. Last cycle I got WL'd at UCLA with a 3.0/170 and got accepted to UVA (attending now) with the same stats/statement.

They're not entirely predictable, but they are predictable enough that a low GPA is much more likely to get you dinged than it is at lower T14s that tend to be more splitter-friendly.

In fact I wonder if this is a reason why they're not in the T14 now; if they took more splitters in order to boost their LSAT medians, that might be enough to pull them up a couple spots.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:27 am

yeah, that does seem to be happening. was wondering if there was anything else going on... i really thought heading into the cycle that UCLA was one of my locks. i honestly think i've got a better shot at Chicago/NYU right now... (i'm above the 25th %ile GPA and above the 75th LSAT)

buzzgirl

New

Post by buzzgirl » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:33 am

boilercat wrote:
buzzgirl wrote:

APRIL?! AHHHHHHH!

Good luck!

congrats! care to share your numbers? :mrgreen:
Thanks. :)

GPA just south of 3.9 / 170 LSAT. I was shocked to hear so soon... especially since they offered a pretty nice scholarship (30k per year).

Figured I'd probably get in, but thought they'd take at least a little bit of time to review my file...

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:36 am

buzzgirl wrote:
Thanks. :)

GPA just south of 3.9 / 170 LSAT. I was shocked to hear so soon... especially since they offered a pretty nice scholarship (30k per year).

Figured I'd probably get in, but thought they'd take at least a little bit of time to review my file...
I'm not that surprised that you got a fast reply (though THAT fast is still impressive), your numbers are about as auto-admit as they come without over-tempting them to YP. Someone must have liked your PS.

I would love to get 30/yr from UCLA, would probably take that offer over anything but HSBM

'grats again!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Slansky

Bronze

Post by Slansky » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:02 pm

So the acceptance packet came yesterday and there is officially no money offer. I am pretty bummed...others with my numbers (170/3.9) have gotten great scholarships. I guess I'll have to try calling to negotiate or something. I can't afford it at sticker, but UCLA is my top choice.

:|

Nat1018

Bronze

Post by Nat1018 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:26 pm

savesthedayajb wrote:
Beatrice wrote:I got the email saying they received my application and it takes "several weeks" to mark complete. Wondering just how long that's going to be!
I received that email on 12/22 and still nothing.
Same here. I got that email on 12/14 and still nothing. The email says it takes "about 4 weeks"...it's about that time...maybe we'll get a complete email this week!

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:41 pm

Nat1018 wrote:
savesthedayajb wrote:
Beatrice wrote:I got the email saying they received my application and it takes "several weeks" to mark complete. Wondering just how long that's going to be!
I received that email on 12/22 and still nothing.
Same here. I got that email on 12/14 and still nothing. The email says it takes "about 4 weeks"...it's about that time...maybe we'll get a complete email this week!
I submitted 12/28 and got my complete email Friday, so hopefully yours are coming soon!

deadlinguo

New

Post by deadlinguo » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:20 pm

Is anyone still waiting on a decision from UCLA who applied back in October? My complete date is 10/20/09 and I haven't heard a thing yet. Even checked the spam folder on my gmail account. With my numbers it's pretty much a sure waitlist, so what's taking so long? They send waitlist decisions by email, right?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SanBun

Silver

Post by SanBun » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:25 pm

deadlinguo wrote:Is anyone still waiting on a decision from UCLA who applied back in October? My complete date is 10/20/09 and I haven't heard a thing yet. Even checked the spam folder on my gmail account. With my numbers it's pretty much a sure waitlist, so what's taking so long? They send waitlist decisions by email, right?
Hey
Im in a similar position, applied just a little later
I would also think that my # are waitlist material (at best)
haven't received rejection yet so that would seem plausible, but also confused as to why it's taking so long

maybe they are considering us for acceptance, and want to compare us to later applicants? I don't know

deadlinguo

New

Post by deadlinguo » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:29 pm

SanBun wrote:
deadlinguo wrote:Is anyone still waiting on a decision from UCLA who applied back in October? My complete date is 10/20/09 and I haven't heard a thing yet. Even checked the spam folder on my gmail account. With my numbers it's pretty much a sure waitlist, so what's taking so long? They send waitlist decisions by email, right?
Hey
haven't received rejection yet so that would seem plausible, but also confused as to why it's taking so long

maybe they are considering us for acceptance, and want to compare us to later applicants? I don't know
Yeah I have a small hope in the back of my mind that they're waiting on us because they actually want to spend more time considering us, not because of some administrative reason. Or my rejection just got lost in the mail :(

parker09

Bronze

Post by parker09 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:37 pm

Complete 10/19. Not a peep since then.

SanBun

Silver

Post by SanBun » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:37 pm

deadlinguo wrote:
SanBun wrote:
Hey

Yeah I have a small hope in the back of my mind that they're waiting on us because they actually want to spend more time considering us, not because of some administrative reason. Or my rejection just got lost in the mail :(
I don't know, things don't get lost in the mail as regularly as most people here say.. I feel like if we were rejected... we'd know. (hopefully)

I might call tomorrow just to see what the current status of my app is though... After all, they don't have a status checker, soo....

btw, what are your stats if you don't mind?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

summerschooled

Bronze

Post by summerschooled » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:40 pm

I applied in October and still haven't heard either. LSP has me at 75%

deadlinguo

New

Post by deadlinguo » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:48 pm

SanBun wrote: btw, what are your stats if you don't mind?
I'm a 3.2/170. It seems like UCLA almost never drops below 3.4/3.5 GPAs.

Would UCLA email if it was a rejection/waitlist?

holborn

Bronze

Post by holborn » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:57 pm

In on friday night. No mention of $. does that mean definitely none for me??

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:37 pm

why so long

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”