UCLA?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Veritas

Re: UCLA?

Postby Veritas » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:46 am

managamy wrote:
Veritas wrote:
managamy wrote:
Hopefullawstudent wrote:Most likely YPing for the people above. Did you guys write a UCLA-specific essay? Did you answer the program contribution question?

They mentioned the program contribution question (Question 7) as an important factor when they called me.

I'm glad I answered this question, I hope it makes a difference.

I'm anxious to hear back, though.

I think that an answer to this question turns off the YP light flickering in the back of their minds when they see high numbers. If you spend enough time to research their school, select a specific program, and write an essay on it, you're obviously seriously interested.

hmm, well that doesn't help my case :lol:

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:03 am

jay115 wrote:
billyez wrote:
msch0i wrote:
michstudent10 wrote:Can you get into UCLA and not get into the Epstein program if you applied? I really want to go into Public Interest & I applied to the Epstein program but I really want UCLA regardless & I'm worried that applying to the program may have been risky with my numbers. My PS and my LORs all addressed my interest in PI so I just applied them to the Epstein program (i.e wrote down my original recommenders' names). Now I'm worried! Any thoughts?

They have a completely separate admissions program, meaning the decisions are independent of each other. The only thing is that, if you're rejected from UCLA's general application pool but the Epstein adcom admits you, then you're in at UCLA.

On another note...has anyone sent a LOCI yet? (I guess this is more for WLers..) I sent one via mail because it seems more formal than e-mail but don't know which method they actually prefer...

Now this raised my eyebrows. Where did you hear this from? Did anyone else hear this? I wrote a good esay for the program and have good references...but i didn't know that it could have that much of an effect on your admission. Now I'm more interested in that particular application process.

My source for this info is my supervisor, who is a graduate of the program. She told me that she didn't quite have the numbers (around 160 LSAT..but this WAS around 7 years ago, so I don't know what numbers were like back then) but she demonstrated a strong background and desire to go into PI law, and she got in. I'm sure they don't go advertising this fact, but I'm pretty sure it is the case.
I don't think it's surprising that they have a separate admissions process, since what they're looking for is completely different...

billyez

Postby billyez » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:18 am

^ If the above is true, then I'm just a tad bit more hopeful. Thanks. That time at the PD's office seems to be paying off dividends in more ways than one...but if my college newspaper experience taught me anything, it's that you always think your work is better than it is. Guess we'll have to see what happens...

I'm also really glad that they don't have a status checker. Anyone else finding themselves addicted to checking those things?

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:52 am

billyez wrote:.. Anyone else finding themselves addicted to checking those things?

No. I think you are the only one.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:53 am

Hopefullawstudent wrote:
billyez wrote:.. Anyone else finding themselves addicted to checking those things?

No. I think you are the only one.

:lol:

smart ass

jayausi

Postby jayausi » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:29 am

Phone call this afternoon. In with 90k!

yours

Postby yours » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:02 am

Woozy wrote:
galahad85 wrote:
ccs224 wrote:
galahad85 wrote:Waitlisted. Wasn't expecting that. :?
Moi non plus. I was thinking at with my numbers within their ranges and a decent background, I had a better shot. Now I've gotta read over my application and see if I might've just fucked up somewhere. Oh well. Here's to waiting.
I think I might have screwed up by not answering the question about contributing to a specific program... Did you answer that one?
At the UCLA info session I got the distinct impression that they do look carefully at that question. I'm glad I went because I hadn't given the question much thought before then. They made such an impression on me about that question that I ended up writing more than would fit in the little box, so I attached a short addendum.
well, i guess optional doesn't mean what i thought it did. i'll take a look and see if i can send them something anyway.
such a simple thing could make all the difference.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:14 am

yours wrote:
well, i guess optional doesn't mean what i thought it did. i'll take a look and see if i can send them something anyway.

It may be optional in the way that an umbrella is optional in a rainstorm. You don't absolutely need it to survive, but you'll feel a lot more comfortable with it.

calicocat

Postby calicocat » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:25 am

managamy wrote:
yours wrote:

It may be optional in the way that an umbrella is optional in a rainstorm. You don't absolutely need it to survive, but you'll feel a lot more comfortable with it.

Withdraw

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:56 am

Oli wrote:
managamy wrote:
yours wrote:

Withdraw

I did, cover girl. :wink:

Diskette15

Postby Diskette15 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:11 pm

jayausi wrote:Phone call this afternoon. In with 90k!

Congrats! when did you apply/numbers?

jayausi

Postby jayausi » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:37 am

Applied in early Sept. 172/3.91.

Ken

Postby Ken » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:43 am

The expanded profile for UCLA has just been posted at: http://www.top-law-schools.com/ucla-law-school.html

billyez

Postby billyez » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:07 am

Awesome! Thanks to whoever made this!

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:42 am

Does a 3.6ish 170ish have any shot at $$$ from UCLA (if I even get in; I still haven't applied)?

I am looking for excuses to move it up my preference list.

Slansky

Postby Slansky » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:10 am

I got the call today! I'm in!

...He didn't say anything about money. Does that mean I get 0, or does that info come in the letter?

Yay!

parker09

Postby parker09 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:45 am

Slansky wrote:I got the call today! I'm in!

...He didn't say anything about money. Does that mean I get 0, or does that info come in the letter?

Yay!

UCLA called on a Sunday?

soyable

Postby soyable » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:13 pm

parker09 wrote:

Yay!

UCLA called on a Sunday?

I got called during winter break. Dean Schwartz keeps his own hours.

jay115

Postby jay115 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:47 pm

soyable wrote:
parker09 wrote:

Yay!

UCLA called on a Sunday?

I emailed him on Thanksgiving and didn't think he would respond for a while, but we had a good 10 email exchange that evening, haha.

TheWire

Postby TheWire » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:49 pm

Yay!

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY...woot woot....way to go!

parker09

Postby parker09 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:52 pm

jay115 wrote:
soyable wrote:
parker09 wrote:

Yay!

UCLA called on a Sunday?

I emailed him on Thanksgiving and didn't think he would respond for a while, but we had a good 10 email exchange that evening, haha.

...wow. that man is a machine (in a good way?)

Haha, not sure how I feel about knowing that he put in extra-time to contact people/ decisions were getting made when I didn't know they were... but still not me!

J/k... congrats, y'all!

aad

Postby aad » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:55 pm

Yay!

I second this question

Chudancha

Postby Chudancha » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:43 pm

Just got rejection letter in the mail. RD. Its going to be a crazy day here.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:44 pm

I went complete Saturday morning.

savesthedayajb

Postby savesthedayajb » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:47 pm

Still not complete, submitted 12/22. How long does this usually take?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”