UCLA?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CKuleba

Re: UCLA?

Postby CKuleba » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:50 am

Applied in early November. 3.9 168 accepted this week

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:25 pm

Waitlisted at UCLA as of a minute ago, via email. Sad.

Faesha

Postby Faesha » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:30 pm

ccs224 wrote:Waitlisted at UCLA as of a minute ago, via email. Sad.

Same here, about 5 minutes ago. To the waitlist purgatory thread we go!

mdgold

Postby mdgold » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:34 pm

Faesha wrote:

+1. Does the waitlist typically get any movement?

galahad85

Postby galahad85 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:34 pm

Waitlisted. Wasn't expecting that. :?

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:39 pm

galahad85 wrote:Waitlisted. Wasn't expecting that. :?

Moi non plus. I was thinking at with my numbers within their ranges and a decent background, I had a better shot. Now I've gotta read over my application and see if I might've just fucked up somewhere. Oh well. Here's to waiting.

Faesha

Postby Faesha » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:40 pm

mdgold wrote:
Faesha wrote:

+1. Does the waitlist typically get any movement?

Nope. UCLA's waitlist is a black hole of vain hope and eventual disappointment/possibly death.

And yet I still have hope.

galahad85

Postby galahad85 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:43 pm

ccs224 wrote:

Moi non plus. I was thinking at with my numbers within their ranges and a decent background, I had a better shot. Now I've gotta read over my application and see if I might've just fucked up somewhere. Oh well. Here's to waiting.

I think I might have screwed up by not answering the question about contributing to a specific program... Did you answer that one?

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:51 pm

Is there a thread for those who have been waitlisted this year?

Woozy

Postby Woozy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:15 pm

galahad85 wrote:
ccs224 wrote:

I think I might have screwed up by not answering the question about contributing to a specific program... Did you answer that one?

At the UCLA info session I got the distinct impression that they do look carefully at that question. I'm glad I went because I hadn't given the question much thought before then. They made such an impression on me about that question that I ended up writing more than would fit in the little box, so I attached a short addendum.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:01 pm

I've not been WLed, but I'm borderline. Have the rejected from the RD pool, yet?

rogerlodge

Postby rogerlodge » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:10 pm

Waitlisted - 171 3.6. Wasn't expecting that.

K's Logic

Postby K's Logic » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:49 pm

Last edited by K's Logic on Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:06 pm

Most likely YPing for the people above. Did you guys write a UCLA-specific essay? Did you answer the program contribution question?

rogerlodge

Postby rogerlodge » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:08 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:Most likely YPing for the people above. Did you guys write a UCLA-specific essay? Did you answer the program contribution question?

added paragraph in personal statement about why ucla

jay115

Postby jay115 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:09 pm

Woozy wrote:
galahad85 wrote:
ccs224 wrote:

At the UCLA info session I got the distinct impression that they do look carefully at that question. I'm glad I went because I hadn't given the question much thought before then. They made such an impression on me about that question that I ended up writing more than would fit in the little box, so I attached a short addendum.

+1 - same impression. I think they really do weight how likely you are to attend if accepted - UCLA's yield rate is kind of atrocious (30% in 2008) so school visits, personal statements tailored to UCLA, and the the programmic contribution statement probably boost borderline applicants over someone with numbers that allow them to blanket the T20 with applications.

Most schools have begun to tighten their admissions due to the influx of applications this year - I think TX and Cornell are the most notable this cycle. UCLA is most likely trying to raise their medians while also strengthening their yield rate.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:14 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:Most likely YPing for the people above. Did you guys write a UCLA-specific essay? Did you answer the program contribution question?

They mentioned the program contribution question (Question 7) as an important factor when they called me.

K's Logic

Postby K's Logic » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:17 pm

Last edited by K's Logic on Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

protokurios

Postby protokurios » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:19 pm

jay115 wrote:+1 - same impression. I think they really do weight how likely you are to attend if accepted - UCLA's yield rate is kind of atrocious (30% in 2008) so school visits, personal statements tailored to UCLA, and the the programmic contribution statement probably boost borderline applicants over someone with numbers that allow them to blanket the T20 with applications.

Most schools have begun to tighten their admissions due to the influx of applications this year - I think TX and Cornell are the most notable this cycle. UCLA is most likely trying to raise their medians while also strengthening their yield rate.

If you're looking at LSN data, 30% isn't all that bad. Most schools in the T14 below HYS are around 30% or lower.

billyez

Postby billyez » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:20 pm

msch0i wrote:
michstudent10 wrote:Can you get into UCLA and not get into the Epstein program if you applied? I really want to go into Public Interest & I applied to the Epstein program but I really want UCLA regardless & I'm worried that applying to the program may have been risky with my numbers. My PS and my LORs all addressed my interest in PI so I just applied them to the Epstein program (i.e wrote down my original recommenders' names). Now I'm worried! Any thoughts?

They have a completely separate admissions program, meaning the decisions are independent of each other. The only thing is that, if you're rejected from UCLA's general application pool but the Epstein adcom admits you, then you're in at UCLA.

On another note...has anyone sent a LOCI yet? (I guess this is more for WLers..) I sent one via mail because it seems more formal than e-mail but don't know which method they actually prefer...

Now this raised my eyebrows. Where did you hear this from? Did anyone else hear this? I wrote a good esay for the program and have good references...but i didn't know that it could have that much of an effect on your admission. Now I'm more interested in that particular application process.

jay115

Postby jay115 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:35 pm

billyez wrote:
msch0i wrote:
michstudent10 wrote:Can you get into UCLA and not get into the Epstein program if you applied? I really want to go into Public Interest & I applied to the Epstein program but I really want UCLA regardless & I'm worried that applying to the program may have been risky with my numbers. My PS and my LORs all addressed my interest in PI so I just applied them to the Epstein program (i.e wrote down my original recommenders' names). Now I'm worried! Any thoughts?

They have a completely separate admissions program, meaning the decisions are independent of each other. The only thing is that, if you're rejected from UCLA's general application pool but the Epstein adcom admits you, then you're in at UCLA.

On another note...has anyone sent a LOCI yet? (I guess this is more for WLers..) I sent one via mail because it seems more formal than e-mail but don't know which method they actually prefer...

Now this raised my eyebrows. Where did you hear this from? Did anyone else hear this? I wrote a good esay for the program and have good references...but i didn't know that it could have that much of an effect on your admission. Now I'm more interested in that particular application process.

It doesn't really have an affect on your normal admissions cycle; it's a separate admissions cycle. So yes, it's technically two bites at the apple.

I have no data on this, but I think the admissions rate for the Epstein program is a lot tighter than the regular admissions program. Epstein is really cool because you get to take classes open only to Epstein scholars (PI classes), but it kind of sucks for the rest of us who can't take those classes but might be interested in the field.

protokurios wrote:
jay115 wrote:+1 - same impression. I think they really do weight how likely you are to attend if accepted - UCLA's yield rate is kind of atrocious (30% in 2008) so school visits, personal statements tailored to UCLA, and the the programmic contribution statement probably boost borderline applicants over someone with numbers that allow them to blanket the T20 with applications.

If you're looking at LSN data, 30% isn't all that bad. Most schools in the T14 below HYS are around 30% or lower.

I say UCLA does what UVA is doing and eliminate the November 15th ED deadline. I'd bet that raises the yield rate a ton.

Space_Cowboy

Postby Space_Cowboy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:52 pm

jay115 wrote:I say UCLA does what UVA is doing and eliminate the November 15th ED deadline. I'd bet that raises the yield rate a ton.

I think UCs care more about the content of the candidate that most would assume. They've already had, what, 3 LSN acceptances who were below both of last year's medians?

jay115

Postby jay115 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:56 pm

Space_Cowboy wrote:
jay115 wrote:I say UCLA does what UVA is doing and eliminate the November 15th ED deadline. I'd bet that raises the yield rate a ton.

I think UCs care more about the content of the candidate that most would assume. They've already had, what, 3 LSN acceptances who were below both of last year's medians?

Well 2 - but we were both ED applicants. I think "Every1SuxButMe" is a flame bc he registered an acceptance at cornell like months before cornell ever mailed anything out.

Edit: However I agree, I think the UC's are more holistic than raw numbers, and that's why they place more emphasis over GPA than the LSAT. It was the Affirmative Action in the UC system that started the line of AA USSC cases...

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:40 am

managamy wrote:

They mentioned the program contribution question (Question 7) as an important factor when they called me.

I'm glad I answered this question, I hope it makes a difference.

I'm anxious to hear back, though.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:45 am

Veritas wrote:
managamy wrote:

I'm glad I answered this question, I hope it makes a difference.

I'm anxious to hear back, though.

I think that an answer to this question turns off the YP light flickering in the back of their minds when they see high numbers. If you spend enough time to research their school, select a specific program, and write an essay on it, you're obviously seriously interested.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”