UCLA? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
knola002

Bronze

Re: UCLA?

Post by knola002 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:14 pm

Figured I might as well join in. Applied on the 7th, so I don't expect to hear for a while.
To people who have been admitted: has anyone gotten FinAid info with their admit or are they making you wait?

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:16 pm

knola002 wrote:Figured I might as well join in. Applied on the 7th, so I don't expect to hear for a while.
To people who have been admitted: has anyone gotten FinAid info with their admit or are they making you wait?
Got the Dean's Scholarship simultaneously with the admit, but I applied a while ago.

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:27 pm

CrimsonCal wrote:
regatsrj wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
tintin wrote:very miffed that i haven't gotten a decision from ucla yet. i applied in like sept or oct. it was so long ago i can't even remember.....

shouldn't they have accepted/waitlisted/denied me yet???
+eleventybillion.

I'm actually considering withdrawing before I hear.
Withdrawing seems a bit needless. It's not like it'll teach them a lesson.

Having said that, I sympathize with your wait. UCLA is actually the only school I've heard back from, which freakishly accepted me two weeks after I submitted. I'm still at a loss to explain why it was so fast. If I may ask, did you play the gay card in your application? I did, and I'm wondering if that somehow contributed to my speedy decision. I've heard UCLA hearts the gays more than most schools.
omg.... I played the gay card too! and heard back in a week after application went complete

lol
UCLA does love the gays - i visited the OUTlaws last summer, and there were a LOT of them. They were all super nice and helpful, which convinced me to ED to UCLA. Also, Westwood/West Hollywood has a disgusting amount of attractive gay dudes, which is definitely a plus.

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:38 pm

jay115 wrote:
CrimsonCal wrote:
regatsrj wrote:
Kretzy wrote: +eleventybillion.

I'm actually considering withdrawing before I hear.

Having said that, I sympathize with your wait. UCLA is actually the only school I've heard back from, which freakishly accepted me two weeks after I submitted. I'm still at a loss to explain why it was so fast. If I may ask, did you play the gay card in your application? I did, and I'm wondering if that somehow contributed to my speedy decision. I've heard UCLA hearts the gays more than most schools.
omg.... I played the gay card too! and heard back in a week after application went complete

lol
UCLA does love the gays - i visited the OUTlaws last summer, and there were a LOT of them. They were all super nice and helpful, which convinced me to ED to UCLA. Also, Westwood/West Hollywood has a disgusting amount of attractive gay dudes, which is definitely a plus.
I def played the gay card, which seemed to go down well at NYU and Penn. Still haven't heard a peep from UCLA though. So, so strange. And UCLA really loves the gays, they have the Williams institute, and their library has a reading room devoted to gay stuff.

I wish I could call and be like "what the hell is going on with my application UCLA?!?!?". Because really, shouldn't they have reached a decision of some kind by now??

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:01 pm

tintin wrote:
jay115 wrote:
CrimsonCal wrote:
regatsrj wrote:

lol
I def played the gay card, which seemed to go down well at NYU and Penn. Still haven't heard a peep from UCLA though. So, so strange. And UCLA really loves the gays, they have the Williams institute, and their library has a reading room devoted to gay stuff.

I wish I could call and be like "what the hell is going on with my application UCLA?!?!?". Because really, shouldn't they have reached a decision of some kind by now??
not that im denigrating my own future law school, but would you really consider UCLA over a Penn/NYU acceptance?

my UG is in between NY and philadelpha (im sick of both) and i hate DC, so the only nice urban area i go to law school would be boston - and we all know that the only top-tier school in boston most likely wont take me. i have personal stuff related to norcal that prohibits me from attending law school there, and i would never go to the South. Thus, L.A. (and by extension, UCLA) was the logical choice for me to go to school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AngryAvocado

Silver

Post by AngryAvocado » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:07 pm

jay115 wrote:
not that im denigrating my own future law school, but would you really consider UCLA over a Penn/NYU acceptance?

my UG is in between NY and philadelpha (im sick of both) and i hate DC, so the only nice urban area i go to law school would be boston - and we all know that the only top-tier school in boston most likely wont take me. i have personal stuff related to norcal that prohibits me from attending law school there, and i would never go to the South. Thus, L.A. (and by extension, UCLA) was the logical choice for me to go to school.
What about Michigan/U-Chi? I don't know about U-Chi, but I've heard that Ann Arbor is pretty gay friendly.

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:56 pm

jay115 wrote:

I would consider UCLA if they handed me a lot of $ and my dad decided that he was not as keen on financing my law school education as he claims. But yeah, in all likelihood I will not go to UCLA, but regardless I would like to find out what the status of my application is....

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:18 am

tintin wrote:
jay115 wrote:
CrimsonCal wrote:
regatsrj wrote:

lol

Maybe we just inundated them with too much gay...

Doubtful :D

And I withdrew this morning, without ever hearing, so I'll never know how they really felt about me.

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:33 am

AngryAvocado wrote:
jay115 wrote:

What about Michigan/U-Chi? I don't know about U-Chi, but I've heard that Ann Arbor is pretty gay friendly.
haha - ive heard horrible things about u chicago students' lack of social aptitude. that, and ive heard everyone's mad ugly there. not that I completely based my ED decision on those factors, and not that either claim is true - chicago would probably reject me anyway.

as for michigan, i kind of wanted to go to law school in a city. and outside of ann arbor (which is basically supported by the michigan undergraduates), i really didnt see myself really having a great time in detroit, with the auto industry collapse and all.

i dont have illusions of having a lot of free time to dick around outside of studying and classes, but after the fantastic time i had at my shitty conservative semi-suburban homogeneous UG (sarcasm), I'm probably hoping for a different law school experience than what a lot of other people envision.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rufferoo

New

Post by rufferoo » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:29 pm

I still don't have a reply from UCLA yet :(... i'm scared..
does it mean i dont have a chance anymore? or do they just accept in waves?

daniel5215

Bronze

Post by daniel5215 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:46 pm

rufferoo wrote:I still don't have a reply from UCLA yet :(... i'm scared..
they are closed until jan. 4th. Be patient. You will hear something back soon.

rufferoo

New

Post by rufferoo » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:56 pm

daniel5215 wrote:
really? since when were they closed? i thought they were supposed to notify the ED applicants before the end of December!.. i was thinking of calling them.

daniel5215

Bronze

Post by daniel5215 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:00 pm

rufferoo wrote:
daniel5215 wrote:
really? since when were they closed? i thought they were supposed to notify the ED applicants before the end of December!.. i was thinking of calling them.
since dec. 18th. I emailed them because i wanted to change my mailing address. And i received a out of office auto-response saying that they are off for the holidays during this time

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

msch0i

Silver

Post by msch0i » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:24 pm

daniel5215 wrote:
rufferoo wrote:
daniel5215 wrote:
since dec. 18th. I emailed them because i wanted to change my mailing address. And i received a out of office auto-response saying that they are off for the holidays during this time
You can thank the uc regents, state and governor s for the mandatory furloughs :( I'm a UCLA UG and was going to send my updated fall grades to LSAC on Monday so the schools would have them in early January but...yeah.

I'm sure you'll hear within the first week of them coming back, though...some people earlier in this thread have, however, predicted that they wouldn't finish making decisions for ED apps before the close of this year, which maybe implies they've been late in previous years.

rufferoo

New

Post by rufferoo » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:13 pm

dam...
i'm worried.. on LSN they've already accepted a lot of people!.. does anyone know how many ppl they usually accept for ED?

Woozy

Bronze

Post by Woozy » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:08 pm

rufferoo wrote:dam...
i'm worried.. on LSN they've already accepted a lot of people!.. does anyone know how many ppl they usually accept for ED?
At the info session they said they admitted 22 ED applicants last year.

imisscollege

Bronze

Post by imisscollege » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:56 pm

can somebody who has been accepted please tell me when admitted student day/weekend is? thanks

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:41 pm

imisscollege wrote:can somebody who has been accepted please tell me when admitted student day/weekend is? thanks
"UCLA LAW ON-CAMPUS RECEPTIONS FOR ADMITTED STUDENTS

The Office of Admissions is sponsoring two on-campus receptions for admitted students:

* Monday, March 15, 2010 (4:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.) and
* Sunday, April 18, 2010 (11 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.)

UCLA REGIONAL RECEPTIONS FOR ALUMNI AND ADMITTED STUDENTS

We are also hosting several receptions outside the Los Angeles area. Faculty and administrators of the Law School will be in attendance along with alumni that live in the area. The dates and locations are as follows (more details will be posted on the admitted student website and will be mailed to you at a later date):

* Washington, DC (Wednesday, March 24, 2010);
* New York City, NY (Thursday, March 25, 2010); and
* San Francisco, CA (Monday, April 5, 2010).

You are welcome to attend as many of these receptions as you would like!"

Does anyone know if they're going to be attending any of the ASDs? I'm definitely going to NY. I can't go to the first LA ASD because my sister scheduled her wedding then, but I really want to go to the second LA ASD. Of course, I could always skip my sister's wedding...

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:24 pm

Nice comeback by UCLA against Temple, by the way.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:33 pm

managamy wrote:Nice comeback by UCLA against Temple, by the way.
Well more like an epic collapse by Temple. They are awful.

Pac-10 needed this one though, so it's big. Now Oregon, Arizona and Stanford just have to go 2-1 for the conference to post a winning record in bowl games. 3-0 for those teams (and thus 5-2 for the conference) is not inconceivable.

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:49 pm

crackberry wrote:
managamy wrote:Nice comeback by UCLA against Temple, by the way.
Well more like an epic collapse by Temple. They are awful.

Pac-10 needed this one though, so it's big. Now Oregon, Arizona and Stanford just have to go 2-1 for the conference to post a winning record in bowl games. 3-0 for those teams (and thus 5-2 for the conference) is not inconceivable.
Hey, I enjoyed it. In a masochistic way.

Oregon should win, and so should Arizona. I wouldn't want to jinx us with a prediction.

EDIT: It was a little odd as a Stanford UG being welcomed into "the Trojan family" by the USC acceptance letter.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:55 pm

managamy wrote:It was a little odd as a Stanford UG being welcomed into "the Trojan family" by the USC acceptance letter.
Yeah. And UCLA and Cal.

soyable

New

Post by soyable » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:35 pm

Got a call from Rob Schwartz this morning asking him to call me back....called back and got an automated message saying the admissions office would be closed until January 4th.

Called back, you know, every hour or so...

Will call back in the morning, but I doubt anyone will be in on New Year's Eve. Clearly I'm assuming I'm in, but I'll still be a little on edge until I get actual confirmation. This is a stressful business.

(I'm RD and basically at their average number-wise. Went complete just a couple of weeks ago.)

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:01 pm

soyable wrote:Got a call from Rob Schwartz this morning asking him to call me back....called back and got an automated message saying the admissions office would be closed until January 4th.

Called back, you know, every hour or so...

Will call back in the morning, but I doubt anyone will be in on New Year's Eve. Clearly I'm assuming I'm in, but I'll still be a little on edge until I get actual confirmation. This is a stressful business.

(I'm RD and basically at their average number-wise. Went complete just a couple of weeks ago.)
You're in. He called and left me exactly the same message when he accepted me.

rufferoo

New

Post by rufferoo » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:11 pm

dam.. you got in!! nice and congrats.. i guess they continue accepting ppl throughout the holidays.

does anyone know what happens if they can't call you?! cuz I'm on vacation right now and I won't be able to pick up my phone at home!!!!!!!!

do they email you or something?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”