William & Mary

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
gymboree
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:48 am

Re: William & Mary

Postby gymboree » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:30 pm

NYVA311 wrote:All of these posts just prove that ALL they care about are numbers. If you help them out, you're accepted immediately, they probably don't even consider the rest of your application. If you're borderline or don't help them, you're put in Decision Pending land while they accept more people who help them. Buh, sorry, I'm just getting a bit fed up with the importance of the LSAT/U.S. News Rankings. I knew it coming into it all but it's frustrating when you're actually seeing it happen right before your eyes - I tried to convince myself that they really do consider the whole application and they aren't so superficial, but I'm clearly wrong. Obviously I'm talking about all schools, not just W&M, but I've been following this thread since the beginning and it's becoming more and more predictable. I'd imagine most of us with "Decision Pending" will be waitlisted or rejected in late March/April. Personally I don't have the LSAT to get in - I have the GPA and everything else, so I doubt I'd even get waitlisted, but it's frustrating to see other people on here or LSN with great numbers who are still being penalized for whatever reason.


As someone with significant WE, life experience, great softs, and outstanding LORs, I have to agree with you. I haven't felt this come into play, at least not yet. I do hope it will later in the cycle when I'm put head-to-head with someone with similar numbers.

iheartucla
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:45 pm

Re: William & Mary

Postby iheartucla » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:40 pm

sukaili wrote:
jlue05 wrote:
sukaili wrote:I went from "Application Ready for Review" to "Review Complete" today. What does this mean? How long do you think I'll have to wait until I actually hear a decision?


Something should show up under "Mailings" in the next 24 hrs. If it helps, I went Review Complete 12/7, had the Congrats! Admit Mailing show up 12/8 and received my acceptance letter & scholarship in the mail today.


Thanks for the info! Congrats on your acceptance!!


Went to "Review Complete" today too- hope this brings good news tomorrow!!!

User avatar
S de Garmeaux
Posts: 434
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:00 pm

Re: William & Mary

Postby S de Garmeaux » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:42 pm

for those who went from "Ready for Review" to "Review Complete"... was "Decision Pending" in there at all?

general100
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:12 pm

Re: William & Mary

Postby general100 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:43 pm

gymboree wrote:
NYVA311 wrote:All of these posts just prove that ALL they care about are numbers. If you help them out, you're accepted immediately, they probably don't even consider the rest of your application. If you're borderline or don't help them, you're put in Decision Pending land while they accept more people who help them. Buh, sorry, I'm just getting a bit fed up with the importance of the LSAT/U.S. News Rankings. I knew it coming into it all but it's frustrating when you're actually seeing it happen right before your eyes - I tried to convince myself that they really do consider the whole application and they aren't so superficial, but I'm clearly wrong. Obviously I'm talking about all schools, not just W&M, but I've been following this thread since the beginning and it's becoming more and more predictable. I'd imagine most of us with "Decision Pending" will be waitlisted or rejected in late March/April. Personally I don't have the LSAT to get in - I have the GPA and everything else, so I doubt I'd even get waitlisted, but it's frustrating to see other people on here or LSN with great numbers who are still being penalized for whatever reason.


As someone with significant WE, life experience, great softs, and outstanding LORs, I have to agree with you. I haven't felt this come into play, at least not yet. I do hope it will later in the cycle when I'm put head-to-head with someone with similar numbers.


I really don't think this is true -- I was accepted pretty early with a 164 (below median).

Nikiya
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 7:49 pm

Re: William & Mary

Postby Nikiya » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:00 pm

general100 wrote:
gymboree wrote:
NYVA311 wrote:All of these posts just prove that ALL they care about are numbers. If you help them out, you're accepted immediately, they probably don't even consider the rest of your application. If you're borderline or don't help them, you're put in Decision Pending land while they accept more people who help them. Buh, sorry, I'm just getting a bit fed up with the importance of the LSAT/U.S. News Rankings. I knew it coming into it all but it's frustrating when you're actually seeing it happen right before your eyes - I tried to convince myself that they really do consider the whole application and they aren't so superficial, but I'm clearly wrong. Obviously I'm talking about all schools, not just W&M, but I've been following this thread since the beginning and it's becoming more and more predictable. I'd imagine most of us with "Decision Pending" will be waitlisted or rejected in late March/April. Personally I don't have the LSAT to get in - I have the GPA and everything else, so I doubt I'd even get waitlisted, but it's frustrating to see other people on here or LSN with great numbers who are still being penalized for whatever reason.


As someone with significant WE, life experience, great softs, and outstanding LORs, I have to agree with you. I haven't felt this come into play, at least not yet. I do hope it will later in the cycle when I'm put head-to-head with someone with similar numbers.


I really don't think this is true -- I was accepted pretty early with a 164 (below median).


Same here.

NYVA311
Posts: 198
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:15 pm

Re: William & Mary

Postby NYVA311 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:24 pm

It's not true across the board, but the overwhelming majority seem to be in this category. Again, it's most schools I've applied to, not just W&M. I know my post came off across a bit whiny, but I can't imagine people who don't have stellar numbers or numbers above median who think they deserve a shot at certain schools aren't somewhat frustrated when they see this trend. Also, I'm not saying because we're not being accepted right off the bat that we're automatically going to be waitlisted/rejected, but right now it makes me a bit more doubtful than before. My only hope is that the people who've been accepted are getting $$, and they haven't even begun accepting "normal" applicants yet - or at least not a lot of them.

sukaili
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:21 pm

Re: William & Mary

Postby sukaili » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:34 pm

sdegarmo wrote:for those who went from "Ready for Review" to "Review Complete"... was "Decision Pending" in there at all?


Nope, 12/1 Application Ready for Review, 12/10 Review Complete

User avatar
gymboree
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:48 am

Re: William & Mary

Postby gymboree » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:51 pm

Nikiya wrote:
general100 wrote:
gymboree wrote:
NYVA311 wrote:All of these posts just prove that ALL they care about are numbers. If you help them out, you're accepted immediately, they probably don't even consider the rest of your application. If you're borderline or don't help them, you're put in Decision Pending land while they accept more people who help them. Buh, sorry, I'm just getting a bit fed up with the importance of the LSAT/U.S. News Rankings. I knew it coming into it all but it's frustrating when you're actually seeing it happen right before your eyes - I tried to convince myself that they really do consider the whole application and they aren't so superficial, but I'm clearly wrong. Obviously I'm talking about all schools, not just W&M, but I've been following this thread since the beginning and it's becoming more and more predictable. I'd imagine most of us with "Decision Pending" will be waitlisted or rejected in late March/April. Personally I don't have the LSAT to get in - I have the GPA and everything else, so I doubt I'd even get waitlisted, but it's frustrating to see other people on here or LSN with great numbers who are still being penalized for whatever reason.


As someone with significant WE, life experience, great softs, and outstanding LORs, I have to agree with you. I haven't felt this come into play, at least not yet. I do hope it will later in the cycle when I'm put head-to-head with someone with similar numbers.


I really don't think this is true -- I was accepted pretty early with a 164 (below median).


Same here.

To be clear, this is how it applies in *my* situation and *my* numbers (I'm a splitter with a higher LSAT than both of you, but a lower GPA). Obviously W&M didn't fall in love with my big WE/soft factors to the extent that they would accept me... yet.

Who knows, maybe your soft factors helped you, but I would argue that your high percentile GPA had more to do with it.
edit: this may also have to do with my frustration, since I've been waiting since 9/30. September, people.

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: William & Mary

Postby Vincent Vega » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:46 pm

gymboree wrote:As someone with significant WE, life experience, great softs, and outstanding LORs, I have to agree with you. I haven't felt this come into play, at least not yet. I do hope it will later in the cycle when I'm put head-to-head with someone with similar numbers.

Well it's not like you really want to go to W&M anyway, since its entire scholarship fund comes from a girl scout bake sale where the cookies taste like shit.

Nikiya
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 7:49 pm

Re: William & Mary

Postby Nikiya » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:00 pm

gymboree wrote:
Nikiya wrote:
general100 wrote:
gymboree wrote:
As someone with significant WE, life experience, great softs, and outstanding LORs, I have to agree with you. I haven't felt this come into play, at least not yet. I do hope it will later in the cycle when I'm put head-to-head with someone with similar numbers.


I really don't think this is true -- I was accepted pretty early with a 164 (below median).


Same here.

To be clear, this is how it applies in *my* situation and *my* numbers (I'm a splitter with a higher LSAT than both of you, but a lower GPA). Obviously W&M didn't fall in love with my big WE/soft factors to the extent that they would accept me... yet.

Who knows, maybe your soft factors helped you, but I would argue that your high percentile GPA had more to do with it.
edit: this may also have to do with my frustration, since I've been waiting since 9/30. September, people.


I meant "same here" regarding my 164. I do agree that it was probably my GPA that was the deciding factor. I guess it's close to the 75th percentile and should be considerably higher were it not for my first semester ...which was not so hot! An upward trend combined with a consistently heavy course load most likely helped tremendously. I also put a lot of effort into my essays and application for W&M because it's my number 1!

As for softs and WE - I'm weak in both of those areas. I'm hopeful yours will be taken into consideration when reviewing your app. I understand your frustration though, but hang in there!!

User avatar
goosey
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Re: William & Mary

Postby goosey » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:22 am

I was specifically told my app was put on hold because they want to see fall grades, and my numbers are pretty bleh, so they easily could have just rejected me. So while I am not counting on an acceptance from them, I also have to somewhat disagree that this is purely numbers driven. They are probably accepting the people that are strong academically and have high lsat scores first, because those are the "Def want these" applicants. and the rest of us....its going to take time. if it was purely numbers driven, I wouldnt be decision pending right now--id be straight up rejected.

jtgain
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: William & Mary

Postby jtgain » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:44 am

goosey wrote:I was specifically told my app was put on hold because they want to see fall grades, and my numbers are pretty bleh, so they easily could have just rejected me. So while I am not counting on an acceptance from them, I also have to somewhat disagree that this is purely numbers driven. They are probably accepting the people that are strong academically and have high lsat scores first, because those are the "Def want these" applicants. and the rest of us....its going to take time. if it was purely numbers driven, I wouldnt be decision pending right now--id be straight up rejected.


has anyone been straight up rejected yet?

User avatar
OMG IDK TITCR
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:01 pm

Re: William & Mary

Postby OMG IDK TITCR » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:37 am

Decision Pending as of today. Was "ready for review" 12/02. Not what I was hoping for, but what I was expecting. And now, at least, I can stop checking my Status Checker 10 times a day...

User avatar
BriaTharen
Posts: 750
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:17 pm

Re: William & Mary

Postby BriaTharen » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:50 am

goosey wrote:I was specifically told my app was put on hold because they want to see fall grades, and my numbers are pretty bleh, so they easily could have just rejected me. So while I am not counting on an acceptance from them, I also have to somewhat disagree that this is purely numbers driven. They are probably accepting the people that are strong academically and have high lsat scores first, because those are the "Def want these" applicants. and the rest of us....its going to take time. if it was purely numbers driven, I wouldnt be decision pending right now--id be straight up rejected.



Did you get an email or did you call the admissions office? I think my GPA will go up after this semester, so I am temped to send in my fall grades to them after seeing this post

tram988
Posts: 1161
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:51 pm

Re: William & Mary

Postby tram988 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:55 am

goosey wrote:I was specifically told my app was put on hold because they want to see fall grades, and my numbers are pretty bleh, so they easily could have just rejected me. So while I am not counting on an acceptance from them, I also have to somewhat disagree that this is purely numbers driven. They are probably accepting the people that are strong academically and have high lsat scores first, because those are the "Def want these" applicants. and the rest of us....its going to take time. if it was purely numbers driven, I wouldnt be decision pending right now--id be straight up rejected.

But if they are waiting for your fall grades wouldn't that support the claim that they are, at least in this case, waiting for numbers?

I dont think W&M is 100% numbers driven by any means but I mean they are asking for fall grades.

User avatar
NatSec
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:52 pm

Re: William & Mary

Postby NatSec » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:53 pm

anybody know if an additional essay would be considered if you really wanted to attend due to one of their instititues/centers? basically a "Why X" essay submitted after the application has already been submitted.

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: William & Mary

Postby jks289 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:51 pm

Just saw I am Decision Pending 12/10. Nothing under the mailings. Look slike other people got in vai status checker. Is there a general timeline for people with strongish numbers?

User avatar
NancyBotwin
Posts: 1085
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:43 pm

Re: William & Mary

Postby NancyBotwin » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:28 pm

jks289 wrote:Just saw I am Decision Pending 12/10. Nothing under the mailings. Look slike other people got in vai status checker. Is there a general timeline for people with strongish numbers?


The people who have gotten in so far have not seen Decision Pending. For us it went Ready for Review -> Review Complete, and usually did so fairly quickly (like, within just a couple weeks of going Ready for Review). After Review Complete, the mailing showed up within about 24 hours. Decision Pending doesn't seem to indicate anything yet, so I don't know what to tell you, except that a LOT of people have that status and still have heard nothing.

User avatar
utcris410
Posts: 469
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:37 pm

Re: William & Mary

Postby utcris410 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:35 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:
jks289 wrote:Just saw I am Decision Pending 12/10. Nothing under the mailings. Look slike other people got in vai status checker. Is there a general timeline for people with strongish numbers?


The people who have gotten in so far have not seen Decision Pending. For us it went Ready for Review -> Review Complete, and usually did so fairly quickly (like, within just a couple weeks of going Ready for Review). After Review Complete, the mailing showed up within about 24 hours. Decision Pending doesn't seem to indicate anything yet, so I don't know what to tell you, except that a LOT of people have that status and still have heard nothing.

Didn't we decide a few pages back that some people accepted DID receive Decision Pending?

dgore
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:14 am

Re: William & Mary

Postby dgore » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:39 pm

utcris410 wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:
jks289 wrote:Just saw I am Decision Pending 12/10. Nothing under the mailings. Look slike other people got in vai status checker. Is there a general timeline for people with strongish numbers?


The people who have gotten in so far have not seen Decision Pending. For us it went Ready for Review -> Review Complete, and usually did so fairly quickly (like, within just a couple weeks of going Ready for Review). After Review Complete, the mailing showed up within about 24 hours. Decision Pending doesn't seem to indicate anything yet, so I don't know what to tell you, except that a LOT of people have that status and still have heard nothing.

Didn't we decide a few pages back that some people accepted DID receive Decision Pending?


I have not seen that clearly stated. Can someone who has been admitted after receiving Decision Pending (this cycle) speak up. I sincerely doubt that this has occurred yet. W&M's bulk acceptances come in March, and I am sticking by my assessment that Decision Pending = We looked at your file, but are not going to admit/reject you quite yet.

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: William & Mary

Postby jks289 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:41 pm

utcris410 wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:
jks289 wrote:Just saw I am Decision Pending 12/10. Nothing under the mailings. Look slike other people got in vai status checker. Is there a general timeline for people with strongish numbers?


The people who have gotten in so far have not seen Decision Pending. For us it went Ready for Review -> Review Complete, and usually did so fairly quickly (like, within just a couple weeks of going Ready for Review). After Review Complete, the mailing showed up within about 24 hours. Decision Pending doesn't seem to indicate anything yet, so I don't know what to tell you, except that a LOT of people have that status and still have heard nothing.

Didn't we decide a few pages back that some people accepted DID receive Decision Pending?


Thanks. That makes me a little nervous. I thought William and Mary would be a safety with my numbers... Guess all I can do is wait.

User avatar
utcris410
Posts: 469
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:37 pm

Re: William & Mary

Postby utcris410 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:48 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:
fancifulthings wrote:so NO ONE who's gotten "Decision Pending" has received any sort of decision yet?


No, read the last couple of pages. There have been a few who have been accepted after getting decision pending.

User avatar
SamSeaborn2016
Posts: 412
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:07 pm

Re: William & Mary

Postby SamSeaborn2016 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:47 pm

still "decision pending" as of 10/06. le sigh

User avatar
goosey
Posts: 1543
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:48 pm

Re: William & Mary

Postby goosey » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:08 pm

JessicaTiger wrote:
goosey wrote:I was specifically told my app was put on hold because they want to see fall grades, and my numbers are pretty bleh, so they easily could have just rejected me. So while I am not counting on an acceptance from them, I also have to somewhat disagree that this is purely numbers driven. They are probably accepting the people that are strong academically and have high lsat scores first, because those are the "Def want these" applicants. and the rest of us....its going to take time. if it was purely numbers driven, I wouldnt be decision pending right now--id be straight up rejected.



Did you get an email or did you call the admissions office? I think my GPA will go up after this semester, so I am temped to send in my fall grades to them after seeing this post


I spoke to faye shealy. My fall grades will only cement the fact that I have the ability to do well, they will by no means help W&M's numbers. my lsac gpa will still be far below their 25th percentile.

iheartucla
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:45 pm

Re: William & Mary

Postby iheartucla » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:09 pm

in today via status checker woot woot!
I submitted during Thanksgiving break- really quick turn around!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”