William & Mary

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dakatz

Re: William & Mary

Postby dakatz » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:30 pm

Chelios wrote:Status Updater changed to "Decision Pending" today

Any idea what this means? Has a decision been reached, or is the file just being read?

Mine has said Decision Pending for over 5 weeks, so no it doesn't mean that decision was reached. Yet I have numbers that I would assume make W&M a safe bet, so I'm not too worried.

bissey

Postby bissey » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:31 pm

Chelios wrote:
bissey wrote:

Any idea what this means? Has a decision been reached, or is the file just being read?

jesus in the 34 pages of this thread, this has been asked 75 times.

it means you wait for months and hear nothing.

awesome

i think my frustration with w&m just came out :D

i've been decision pending since october.

dgore

Postby dgore » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:35 pm

bissey wrote:
Chelios wrote:
bissey wrote:

jesus in the 34 pages of this thread, this has been asked 75 times.

it means you wait for months and hear nothing.

awesome

i think my frustration with w&m just came out :D

i've been decision pending since october.

The guy a few posts back hit the nail on the head I think; Decision Pending: Silent Waitlist.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:40 pm

The guy a few posts back hit the nail on the head I think; Decision Pending: Silent Waitlist.[/quote]

I really hope thats BS. I have numbers that I thought made me a real safe bet there, and I see a bunch of people with the same numbers getting really generous scholarship offers. I would be amazed if it ended up being a waitlist for me.

Burberry by Burberry

Postby Burberry by Burberry » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:06 pm

dgore wrote:The guy a few posts back hit the nail on the head I think; Decision Pending: Silent Waitlist.

<------ Female :P

robin600

Postby robin600 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:08 pm

sdegarmo wrote:
Burberry by Burberry wrote:It seems that Decision Pending = Silent Waitlist (final decision in March/April).

after today's rejection at fordham ill take it

Sorry to hear about the rejection sdegarmo :( You still have a great shot at W&M!!!!

Anybody write a why W&M? Successful?

dgore

Postby dgore » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:08 pm

dakatz wrote:The guy a few posts back hit the nail on the head I think; Decision Pending: Silent Waitlist.

I really hope thats BS. I have numbers that I thought made me a real safe bet there, and I see a bunch of people with the same numbers getting really generous scholarship offers. I would be amazed if it ended up being a waitlist for me.[/quote]

Let me rephrase what I think Silent Waitlist means. I think that w&m had a specific cutoff where they were willing to give students auto-admits. Those above the cutoff were given acceptances; all others were put in "the pile" (including me). The pile continues to grow while they wait to see how many of the admits (which continually grows as more "auto-admits apply) accept. Depending on that number, they will take the best from "the pile" later in the admissions process and see how many of those accept. The rest stay in the "decision pending" pile until March.

Pure speculation, obviously, but if I was a school without a roiling admission, that is how I would do it.

Nikiya

Postby Nikiya » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:11 pm

robin600 wrote:
sdegarmo wrote:
Burberry by Burberry wrote:It seems that Decision Pending = Silent Waitlist (final decision in March/April).

Sorry to hear about the rejection sdegarmo :( You still have a great shot at W&M!!!!

I added about two paragraphs to the end of my PS about why I want to go to W&M. Mine was 2 pages, and they said they accepted up to 3. I also did the optional essay and applied to the George Wythe Society. At first I thought it may be too much, but my numbers are borderline acceptance so I figured I had to do all I could since W&M is my top choice. I guess something helped, but I can't tell you what that is.

dgore

Postby dgore » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:13 pm

Burberry by Burberry wrote:
dgore wrote:The guy a few posts back hit the nail on the head I think; Decision Pending: Silent Waitlist.

<------ Female :P

Haha, sorry about that. I meant "guy" in the genderless sense (i.e. "Come on, guys!") :D

Lost in Eden

Postby Lost in Eden » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:16 pm

Does anyone know what W&M's proportion of in-state/out of state students are?

lifeaway1985

Postby lifeaway1985 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:18 pm

Update each day-->become "decision pending" 12/07-->still pending 12/10

jlue05

Postby jlue05 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:23 pm

robin600 wrote:
sdegarmo wrote:

I did not write a why W&M or the optional and was accepted. However, I can only image that writing either of these would be helpful.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:32 am

jlue05 wrote:
robin600 wrote:
sdegarmo wrote:

I did not write a why W&M or the optional and was accepted. However, I can only image that writing either of these would be helpful.

Same.

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:11 pm

Went Decision Pending today, and from the sounds of this board, the waiting game continues.

I wrote the optional, but my numbers for both LSAT and GPA are in their bottom 25%, so it's a pretty far reach. But for right now, yay! Optimism!

anniesaysrelax

Postby anniesaysrelax » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:48 pm

Halibut6 wrote:
jlue05 wrote:
robin600 wrote:
sdegarmo wrote:

Same.

Same here. Didn't write either and was accepted with $$

sukaili

Postby sukaili » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:17 pm

I went from "Application Ready for Review" to "Review Complete" today. What does this mean? How long do you think I'll have to wait until I actually hear a decision?

S de Garmeaux

Postby S de Garmeaux » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:19 pm

sukaili wrote:I went from "Application Ready for Review" to "Review Complete" today. What does this mean? How long do you think I'll have to wait until I actually hear a decision?

when did you go to "ready"?

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:19 pm

sukaili wrote:I went from "Application Ready for Review" to "Review Complete" today. What does this mean? How long do you think I'll have to wait until I actually hear a decision?

Mind posting your stats? Hopefully you'll hear something by Monday at the latest. Are you close to W&M?

jlue05

Postby jlue05 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:21 pm

Something should show up under "Mailings" in the next 24 hrs. If it helps, I went Review Complete 12/7, had the Congrats! Admit Mailing show up 12/8 and received my acceptance letter & scholarship in the mail today.

sukaili

Postby sukaili » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:23 pm

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:

Mind posting your stats? Hopefully you'll hear something by Monday at the latest. Are you close to W&M?

Nope, not very close to W&M, but strongly considered it for undergrad. Went "ready" on 12/1, stats are 175/3.8

sukaili

Postby sukaili » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:24 pm

jlue05 wrote:

Something should show up under "Mailings" in the next 24 hrs. If it helps, I went Review Complete 12/7, had the Congrats! Admit Mailing show up 12/8 and received my acceptance letter & scholarship in the mail today.

Thanks for the info! Congrats on your acceptance!!

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:25 pm

With those numbers you should have no problem. I'm sure congrats will be in order!

jtgain

Postby jtgain » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:39 pm

I went from Decision Pending yesterday to ..............Decision Pending today! That is progress! One day closer to the decision! ;)

NYVA311

Postby NYVA311 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:49 pm

All of these posts just prove that ALL they care about are numbers. If you help them out, you're accepted immediately, they probably don't even consider the rest of your application. If you're borderline or don't help them, you're put in Decision Pending land while they accept more people who help them. Buh, sorry, I'm just getting a bit fed up with the importance of the LSAT/U.S. News Rankings. I knew it coming into it all but it's frustrating when you're actually seeing it happen right before your eyes - I tried to convince myself that they really do consider the whole application and they aren't so superficial, but I'm clearly wrong. Obviously I'm talking about all schools, not just W&M, but I've been following this thread since the beginning and it's becoming more and more predictable. I'd imagine most of us with "Decision Pending" will be waitlisted or rejected in late March/April. Personally I don't have the LSAT to get in - I have the GPA and everything else, so I doubt I'd even get waitlisted, but it's frustrating to see other people on here or LSN with great numbers who are still being penalized for whatever reason.

UTaylor526

Postby UTaylor526 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:27 pm

I've been decision pending since 10/27. I recently graduated UG last Saturday and have a full time job between now and law school. I wanted to write the schools that have not given me a decision yet (and others I haven't heard any scholarship information from) to tell them about my last semester/job. How should I send this in?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”